Konajra

1920's German steam trawler

Hello all,

I have started building on my newest ship. The Consul Pust. It's a 1920 german steam fishing boat. There are no photos to be found of this ship only some images of cartboard models and a digital designed model.

this is my example image:

6993961401_543ddd3ed2_b.jpg

Consul Pust by Konajra, on Flickr

I started designing the model in Ldraw first, like i do with all of my models. I finished the file somewhere in march. this is how my model turned out:

7006883101_457164de5d_b.jpg

Consul Pust final 1 by Konajra, on Flickr

After some discussion on the Lowlug forum I decided to weather the ship. So that it looked more like my example:

6862895248_9fba42738c_b.jpg

consul pust weathered by Konajra, on Flickr

After that it was collecting bricks again. I still do not have all the parts I need because some bricks are in my Lugbulk Order, which I hope will be delivered somewhere in june/july.

I did however had enough bricks to make a start with the brigde:

7159354884_ff7395b579_b.jpg

Consul Pust WIP by Konajra, on Flickr

That's all for now. I'll update this thread when I have build another part.

Hope you like it.

I'm impressed so far 'Konajra', I really like the detailing on this.....I look forward to progress shots of the fishing boat as you go. :classic:

Brick On Fish On 'Konajra' ! :classic:

Mate, this is fantastic. What amazing detailing. I quite amazes me as to what one can build out of Lego! This is going to be one sweet model. Can't wait to see the finished product!

I'm guessing you're going to need quite a few yellowed / old grey bricks, but I'm sure the end effect will be awesome. This project is yet another good example why people shouldn't moan about their discoloured bricks - all the more possibilities to depict realistic aging! The 'bruised and weathered' look works great on your source image and I'm sure it will be absolutely striking in LEGO form once you're done with this. Keep us posted :)

Looks like this is going to be another of your outstanding ships. Looking forward to the result!

Brilliantly shaped hull, the weathering takes it to the next level! It's quite a big trawler, have you thought about the cost? And are the sails going to be brick built or custom?

Thanks everyone.

@ MetroiD: there are not so many yellowed/ dark grey bricks needed to get the result of the ldraw file.

@ TheKingOf Building: I'm not sure what the total costs will be when I start on a new model. Every time I finish a Ldraw file that I think is worth building for real I start with collecting the bricks I need for it. I buy for about €125 euros per month on bricks and only the bricks I need for a certain model. Long live Brickstore and the Bricklink wanted list. :classic: After building three ships I know the cost for a 1 meter long model will end up somewhere from 500 till 800 euros. The smit Bison tug was the cheapest and the trawler VLI -8 the most expensive due to the sandgreen elements and a lot of dark red bricks for the hull. So collecting bricks takes me about (average) 4 to 5 months for one model.

I have build some more: the deck and some deck equipment

7171961670_12105d52fc_b.jpg

Consul Pust WIP (2) by Konajra, on Flickr

At the moment this is all I can build since I am waiting to be able to order the last bricks so that I can start with the hull. After that I have to wait on my Lugbulk order to be able to fit the deck in to the hull and place the last details.

when there is more I'll post it here.

Hope you like it.

Edited by Konajra
Changed the photo to a smaller size

I'm very certain that this will turn out to be just as lovely as your other ships. I really don't know of anybody else who designs large Lego ships with such eye for detail and realistic colours as you do. Keep it up - I'll be following the progress :)

That's wonderful! I'm looking forward to more pictures and the final build.

As an ex-Navy guy, I'm always delighted to see modernish ships around these forums, especially ones as well-build and detailed as yours. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Again a wonderful model! :thumbup:

How long is the model exactly, around 100 studs?

I can see these type of ships having the right scale to be integrated into any private Lego town. :classic:

I've continued working on the Consul Pust. after finishing the steam tug, I thought that I could start with the hull although I still miss a lot bricks.

here is the result so far:

7281202686_46ac5dc821_c.jpg

7281202438_7827848979_c.jpg

And as usual I'll update this thread when I have build some more.

It's just as wonderful as your other ships, and it's absolutely amazing how many realistic details you manage to cram into these. I agree about the ladders made from grille tiles, that's a great way to make them.

You know, these look huge and imposing in pictures. I can just guess how impressive they must be when they're on a table before you :)

Thanks for all the kind words.

@ Alexgri: I don't know the exact cost because I had already a nice amount of bricks in my collection, but it did cost enough. :classic:

That is amazing! I really love it. Fascinating to see all the details. Are there any indoor interior to see?