Legacy Man

How much did you spend on Lego in 2011?

Its been probably 20 years since I last played with Lego and I just have the sudden interest in Lego when my 2 year old received a Duplo set as a gift during Thanksgiving 2011. I did not think much of it but as I started playing with him, memories of Lego came back to me. Its strange because we never had any Lego sets when I was younger, it was mostly bulk loads of lego pieces that I have no idea where they came from other then that I had a whole bunch to play with.

Next thing I know during this past christmas of 2011, I bought lets just say quitte a few sets for myself from some basic to a couple of pirate ships. Almost ended up with the London Tower Bridget but passed on that since the last box on the shelf was so beat up. I think I spent close to $1000 in a 30 day period and I'm kind of scared how much I'll be further spending going towards the future! Each set has been a pleasure to build and I have a guilty feeling neglecting household chores to "play"!

Edited by Legacy Man

I don't know exactly, but I'm sure it's way more than I think. I bought all Alien Conquest and Pharaohs Quest. All but the Ewok Attack SW summer releases. Lots of City, Kingdoms, all of the final wave of Atlantis. A lot more to add. I don't think it's unusual to spend a lot when you get back into LEGO. I remember buying Market Street/Cafe Corner together, then hitting eBay and buying 3 Forestmen sets and all the old Ninja set when I came out of my dark ages. I don't think it's too uncommon to spend a lot on your first outing.

Edit: According to Brickset, the value of my collection is $10,951. And that doesn't really reflect how much I've spent. I don't have any of my street baseplates, I have a lot of those, CMFs, also a lot or what I bought the Forestmen/Ninja sets for...

Edited by Legocrazy81

Actually a lot!

I am in US. so here are the stores (including online) I spent:

Walmart (and .com)

Target (and .com)

LEGO store (and .com)

Toysrus (and .com)

Barne & Noble (and .com)

Amazon.com

Borders (yes.. before it went to bankruptcy)

Kmart.com

I think I spent most on Amazon.com this year.

and here is a picture I got for one day trip in (several) walmart stores. (I know many people spent more than me :)

87dff319jw1dojy9zonbwj.jpg

Its been probably 20 years since I last played with Lego and I just have the sudden interest in Lego when my 2 year old received a Duplo set as a gift during Thanksgiving 2011. I did not think much of it but as I started playing with him, memories of Lego came back to me. Its strange because we never had any Lego sets when I was younger, it was mostly bulk loads of lego pieces that I have no idea where they came from other then that I had a whole bunch to play with.

Next thing I know during this past christmas of 2011, I bought lets just say quitte a few sets for myself from some basic to a couple of pirate ships. Almost ended up with the London Tower Bridget but passed on that since the last box on the shelf was so beat up. I think I spent close to $1000 in a 30 day period and I'm kind of scared how much I'll be further spending going towards the future! Each set has been a pleasure to build and I have a guilty feeling neglecting household chores to "play"!

I think i have spent a few hundred Euro's for new sets....not that much when i look at the spending of other AFOL's :cry_sad:

Oh dear, I am scared to even think about the total for 2011 (it was my biggest buying year so far).

Since October I have spent about AU$1500 at Amazon France alone... oops

I would estimate it at about $7000 AUD, i admit though about $300 of that is on stuff to resell.

Okay, lets see approx. 500 on POTC, only 60 on Spongebob, ouch city 1000, SW/CW say 600...only guess....oop's forgot over a hundred on both Ninjago and Cars....then under 300 on Kingdom's. :wink:

My wife finds out - I'm a dead man ! :tongue:

This year, I'm only buying city for myself and some SW, a stack of SH and maybe some LOTR for my son....plus a stack of collectable minifigs. But my gut feeling is I'll be spending almost as much due to the licensed sets and I might buy some Friend's....oh, because I'm a great-uncle to three little girls and perhaps my own 39 year old baby ! :laugh:

My spending was around $10k, but I sell figs and parts on Bricklink, so I just about broke even for the year. Means I have a HUGE pile of parts that I kept though :)

I don't know exactly. According to Brickset I've used $855, but I'm pretty sure that's too cheap. I live in Norway after all :tongue:

In 2011 I bought:

All the Harry Potter sets from 2010-2011 (and the older minifigs)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Winter Village Bakery

A couple of Lego books (Star Wars and HP)

Some small sets from Kingdoms and Pharaoh's Quest

I didn't start buying sets until october though, so I think LEGO is going to steal more of my money in 2012 :look:

well my first bricklink order in January was £3

Then after that I only really got freebies in the newspaper (X-Wing, Harry Potter, didn't bother with POTC) so paid the price of the newspaper each time,

I reckon it's under £10 I spent on LEGO in 2011 BUT I have a Medieval Market Village on the way which my Dad bought the other day!

Way more than I care to admit or add up or write down!

I know I spent way less than the big spenders. Maybe I'm about average.

But my new motto for 2012 is "Less spending, more building"

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

OVER 9000!!! Just kidding. I'd say about $700.

Wow, how'd you do it? :tongue: I could never get off that easy. That's about how much I spend in a month. :blush:

well i din't spend that much in 2011. just a few large technic sets and a bunch of minifigs... let's say... 300euro... ah yes... + another 300 on parts... this is all very modest compared to a few years back... when i got to 3000 euros...

still, i expect to spend about 1500 or so in 2012, which is quite enough...

"Less spending, more building". concur that!

Way more than I care to admit or add up or write down!

I know I spent way less than the big spenders. Maybe I'm about average.

But my new motto for 2012 is "Less spending, more building"

Andy D

I don't really dare add it all up...

My thoughts exactly. Pet Shop, Police Station, Maersk Train, Passenger Train, Winter Post Office, Mill Village Raid, Family Home, Diagon Alley, Robie House... and a Tower Bridge (albeit on sale)... plus, I bought new pieces to build a massive pedestal for my Statue of Liberty... and it's only this year that I've actively started MOCing, so I've bought tons of pieces for that as well... no, don't want to think too hard about it! Currently in the process of packing old sets into plastic bags for resale, though, so hopefully I'll make some money in 2012 as well - because I'm not all that certain that this year will be any less costly.

Okay, lets see approx. 500 on POTC, only 60 on Spongebob, ouch city 1000, SW/CW say 600...only guess....oop's forgot over a hundred on both Ninjago and Cars....then under 300 on Kingdom's. :wink:

My wife finds out - I'm a dead man ! :tongue:

This year, I'm only buying city for myself and some SW, a stack of SH and maybe some LOTR for my son....plus a stack of collectable minifigs. But my gut feeling is I'll be spending almost as much due to the licensed sets and I might buy some Friend's....oh, because I'm a great-uncle to three little girls and perhaps my own 39 year old baby ! :laugh:

What, no modular buildings? I expected better of you LT! Haha! :laugh:

No idea for me, not as much as I would have liked...

Dakar

You just had to ask this question didn't you? ;)

I just added up my purchases from TRU alone, and it was just under $1200 in 2011. Add another $400+ in second hand purchases, and I'm over $1600. Add another $300-400 from the LEGO store... not to mention Wal Mart, Target, and local resellers.

Let's just say I'm quite positive I've spent over $3000, but probably less than $5,000. According to Brickset, the value of my sets is $6,000 which doesn't include most of my second hand purchases or the many pick-a-brick cups I've purchased. Also, sets for my nephews I purchased as gifts wouldn't show up there. And that shows MSRP, but I take advantage of a lot of sales in my LEGO purchasing.

I started collecting again around 2009-2010, so 2011 was definitely an expensive year. With all the great new City sets, Friends, LOTR, Creator, and Superheroes, 2012 probably won't fair much better.

I spent probably close to $1500 for the year - thanks to the minifig series (I buy them by the box).

Add in a few extras - Maersk Train, second hand finds - and it's got to be close to that total.

Looks like 2012 will be around the same amount, unless my wife keeps me in check :wink:

I am guessing about $3,000 USA. The breakdown $1,000 on bricklink, $1,000 on Minifig series figs and $1,000 on sets (some pirate mostly Starwars)

Wow, you guys have spent a lot of money on bricks this year. *oh2*

According to Brickset, I've spent $1180. Its actually a bit less though, since I get 30% off at work, and I took advantage of the TRU BOGO sales. I think $700 - $750 would be accurate.