dunamis

Photo Review of Technic 8285 Tow Truck

This review has reminded me that I have a copy which is sitting in a box awaiting cleaning. Actually I have way too many good sets just sitting in a box waiting to be cleaned and built :(

I just finished building this set not too long ago and it really is a magnificent set. Sure it might be fairly simple in terms of complexity and not breaking any new grounds as far as Technic goes, but I think it's a really well balanced set.

The main things I like about it are;

- Well detailed for the Technic line, particularly the front grill and the cab region. Despite Technic coming a long way in aesthetics, I think the 8285 sits right up there.

- Inclusion of double rear wheels. It's not much, but it certainly adds to the truck's appeal

- It has a fair amount of Technic goodies with all the rear implements operable in some way or form.

- Fairly rigid for a studless build of this size and wheelbase length.

- It sits very nicely next to the 8258 Crane Truck

- 2 x 32L Technic chopsticks!

All in all, I really like this set and if you're pondering over whether or not to get one on Bricklink/eBay, I highly recommend you do. =D

Hopefully these pictures turn out OK. First time posting pictures in a post, so please be nice.

img07532.jpg

img0749resized.jpg

I don't have a brickshelf account, so I hope a direct link to imageshack is OK.

Edited by Benly

Just finished it.

Technically it isn 't that challenging, but overall quite satisfying.

And the amount of parts is overwhelming. :tongue:

I would rate it 7,5 out of 10 IF one would get it reasonably cheap.

I have 2 of the 8285 tow trucks, but they seem to be different versions.

1 has the silver metallic wheels and exhaust tips, and the other has all bluish grey wheels and exhaust tips. I checked each set of instructions and the set inventory list in the back is different, calling for the variations in part colors.

Not sure why Lego changed it, but they are different. The all-grey wheels version still has the other parts being metallic, but not the wheels and tips...

I have two copies of this set and noticed exactly the same thing. Not sure why they stopped selling the metallic painted wheels, but the "plain gray" version of the set is definitely newer.

I have two copies of this set and noticed exactly the same thing. Not sure why they stopped selling the metallic painted wheels, but the "plain gray" version of the set is definitely newer.

Reducing the costs, IMHO. If you buy anything, not just LEGO, metallic, it is more expensive than ordinary colours.

I know someone who had the same problem with the silver parts.

He called Lego and he gets all the silver parts of the model for free.

Now, I'm not sure that these parts are still available in the Lego Customer Service.

Cause this model has been discontinued in 2008.

That was my best guess. I'm sure it was more of a "cutting cost" measure.

I contacted Lego but never heard back. oh well...

Has anybody else noticed that the 8285 tow truck is back? It's on Lego's website, however, it says it is "sold out". :sad:

Might not be a typo (8285 and 8258) because the crane truck is still not available in Canada and the tow truck is marked as sold out.

Out of 14 regularly available technic sets; 8 are sold-out or not available. It's a fairly slim picking.

If it becomes available again, I'm buying one for sure!!

Edited by Countdown

Has anybody else noticed that the 8285 tow truck is back? It's on Lego's website, however, it says it is "sold out". :sad:

hopefully they are bringing it back and will be available throughout next year, and hopefully bring down prices all over the internets

Does it mean 8285 will be available again? Although I'd already had one but still buy another , for the B model.

BTW, I wonder about 8287 motor set as it will combine with this set. TLG should bring back the set 8421 also.

It's still on the website. Pretty long time for an "error" to stay online. It would be cool if Lego brought 8285 back. I missed it during my dark ages.

It's still on the website. Pretty long time for an "error" to stay online. It would be cool if Lego brought 8285 back. I missed it during my dark ages.

I've sent an e-mail to TLG about that and that's the response I got.

""Thank you for contacting us on 12/20/10 and for your interest in LEGO® brand products. The products you inquired about have been discontinued from our current product line and we do not expect to receive additional inventory at this time. Each year, several items are discontinued and new ones added. By doing this, we provide a product line with more variety and continuing challenges to our LEGO builders. And you never know favorite themes from the past may emerge again with a slightly different look! We do hope that one of the many new items included in our current retail and Shop At Home product lines will appeal to the LEGO enthusiast in your home. LEGO products are sold in national chain stores such as Kmart, Toys R Us, Walmart and Target Stores to ensure that they are readily available to consumers. If, for some reason, you're unable to locate a particular current set at retail, you may call this direct order telephone line, 800-453-4652, for price information and a free catalog. You can also order items on line now at www.lego.com. Thank you again for contacting us. We wish your family many happy hours of creative building with LEGO brand toys in the years to come. JessicaLEGO Direct Consumer Services""

Me too I've missed this set during my dark ages. I really want to get my hands on this set/.

I've sent an e-mail to TLG about that and that's the response I got.

""Thank you for contacting us on 12/20/10 and for your interest in LEGO® brand products. The products you inquired about have been discontinued from our current product line and we do not expect to receive additional inventory at this time. Each year, several items are discontinued and new ones added. By doing this, we provide a product line with more variety and continuing challenges to our LEGO builders. And you never know favorite themes from the past may emerge again with a slightly different look! We do hope that one of the many new items included in our current retail and Shop At Home product lines will appeal to the LEGO enthusiast in your home. LEGO products are sold in national chain stores such as Kmart, Toys R Us, Walmart and Target Stores to ensure that they are readily available to consumers. If, for some reason, you're unable to locate a particular current set at retail, you may call this direct order telephone line, 800-453-4652, for price information and a free catalog. You can also order items on line now at www.lego.com. Thank you again for contacting us. We wish your family many happy hours of creative building with LEGO brand toys in the years to come. JessicaLEGO Direct Consumer Services""

Me too I've missed this set during my dark ages. I really want to get my hands on this set/.

The listing of the 8285 Tow Truck is not a mistake. I happened to be browing Shop@Home when I noticed this set, which originally was from 2006. When I phoned customer service about another issue, I asked the person about the availability of this set. The customer service person did not know why this set is now available but he told me that if I wanted one I should order it soon as the inventory of this item was low. Immediately afterwards, without giving much thought, I put an order through for this set. Immediately after my order was accepted, I checked Shop@Home's Technic website and the set was no longer available for order, i.e. "Call for availability". I imagine that the set was available for only a few hours before the inventory was sold off. It was just luck that I was browsing Shop@Home at the time the set was still available. The set has still not shipped.

I know someone who had the same problem with the silver parts.

He called Lego and he gets all the silver parts of the model for free.

I did that too (bought mine in spring 2007). Except Lego would only give me 6 silver wheels. I was fine with that, though, since 4 of them are hidden on the main model, and the 8287 box shows the alternate model's trailer using 4 light gray wheels and tractor using silver wheels.

Edited by SheepEater

Can someone tell me how long the ribbed hoses are for the guards?, I wan't to replace them with soft axles and liftarms.

I built this model recently and replaced the hoses with liftarms very similar to the 9397, but matched the style of the original hood of the 8285. I updated the model with newer 1x5x11 flat panels instead of the partially studded 6x12 plates also. I repaced the steering gears with knob wheels and replaced the gas tanks with ones like the 9397 has.

I'll post some pictures of it in this thread soon to show what I'm talking about. It was a lot of fun to build and looks great next to the 9397 and 8258. I don't own the actual set but built it from the BL inventory list and instructions instead.

hinge-2.jpg

Here is a simple mod I did a while back. Holds the hood open at a nicer angle. Uses only the spare parts in the set.

Steve

I also got to buy this set a few weeks ago, without box but complete manuals. It's just dusty and needs some love.

I got the set with the 6 metallic-silver wheels+4 grey wheels.

I already dismantled the set and will wash it (save for the ones with stickers) before assembly.

Also, the set I got was in mint condition, still have the complete stickers intact and was built once.

Edited by francisalmario

Sorry to bump an old thread, but i found this rwview very helpful in my preparation to rebuild 8285....i now have less then 10 pieces to get to do a total rebuild using all NEW parts!, i liked the comment on how well built the set is....when i originally bought 8285 second hand it literally took me 5 hours to take it apart!, my fingers were red raw!

its deffo a good idea to build the B model first and then build A...it will also extend the fun and build experience :-)

I really cant wait to finally put this monster together!!!!!!! :-))

hinge-2.jpg

Here is a simple mod I did a while back. Holds the hood open at a nicer angle. Uses only the spare parts in the set.

Steve

I want to do this myself, what parts did you use please?

I bought my original used set for €120....but it was obvious that it had been sold and resold several times, it was in TERRIBLE condition. The manuals and box had to be thrown out, they were beyond saving. Once i took the set apart i did as you did, washed it....but pretty much everything was scratched to death and worn out.

So i hit upon the idea of rebuilding 8285 using all new parts, the only stuff i kept was the metallic silver elements....but even those parts i have now replaced with brand new ones.

It cost hundreads, way more then buying one of those overly expensive sets resellers on Ebay advertise....but it'll be worth it once i see the fruits of my labour/money :-)

I also got to buy this set a few weeks ago, without box but complete manuals. It's just dusty and needs some love.

I got the set with the 6 metallic-silver wheels+4 grey wheels.

I already dismantled the set and will wash it (save for the ones with stickers) before assembly.

Also, the set I got was in mint condition, still have the complete stickers intact and was built once.

I did that too (bought mine in spring 2007). Except Lego would only give me 6 silver wheels. I was fine with that, though, since 4 of them are hidden on the main model, and the 8287 box shows the alternate model's trailer using 4 light gray wheels and tractor using silver wheels.

I ended up buying 6 brand new metallic silver wheel rims for €40....and the 6 used ones i decided to use 4 of them on the two back wheels axels, the inside wheels that are hidden....so i have 1 metallic silver wheels :-)

I would assume TLG had a limited production run on the silver metallic parts and once they ran out switched to LBG, one would assume the metallic silver parts are more expensive to manufacture. Hopefully the reuse these elements in modern sets as these parts command a high price tag and are much sought after by Technic fans.