Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

I think I just lost any bit of hope I had for the new movie...

I was extremely skeptical when I first heard they were doing a fourth movie (especially given that the first three work as a trilogy, whatever one might think of the second and third movies), but I understand that they're drawing upon an extant piece of fiction rather than contriving something in the usual fashion of Hollywood sequels, and I'm pretty intrigued. You might remember these earlier posts from the thread:

'On Stranger Tides' is the name of a pirate themed novel - it probably gives some good clues as to the story. I've never read it, but it was apparently the inspiration for my all time favourite computer game, Monkey Island.

Any pirates is better than no pirates in my opinion. I'd love to get a few more ships to add to my fleet, and it'd be great if they did a Tortuga or something with a few mid sized ships as well (like the old Imperial Trading Post). It's a bit of a shame we'll have to pay the Disney tax (maybe not as high as the Star Wars tax if Prince Of Persia was anything to go by).

Actually, the Prince of Persia stuff all looked pretty good to me - it definitely bodes well for the next Disney franchise...

I've read "On Stranger Tides" by Tim Powers. Its very good, but very random. The main character, John Chandagnac, was on a ship that got attacked by pirates. The crew were shot by there own men, two passengers aboard the ship were killing the men and it was planned out. John eventually was forced to join the crew under the new name of "Shandy" or "Jack". So we can judge by the nickname whos going to be the main character. Davies, the captain, eventually routes up with Blackbeard shortly after the Charleston blockade happened. The herbs weren't actually for his crew, they were for sorcery. The main of the book is based around sorcery and magic, as well as pirates. So expect alot of special effects. The story eventually goes to the fountain of youth and unfolds from there, that's why Jack stole the map in the last movie. Theres also some ghost galleon ships thrown into the book, Voodoo, gun & sword fights. So all in all it looks to be a good movie. Oh and there should be a new female charecther in the movie if its following the book, Beth Hurwood.

This book On Stranger Tides originally came out back in 1987, long before even the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, and may even have been an influence on it (and the series by extension). As I understand it, rather than attempting to come up with an original story, Disney actually secured the rights to this novel, an original work with no shared characters or other connections to Pirates of the Caribbean other than the general theme and tone, but very much of the same style, and is adapting the screenplay for the new PotC from it. The novel is apparently quite well-regarded, so it sounds to me very much as though Disney went to unusual lengths to ensure it got a good story for this movie, rather than taking a more conventional route which might or might not yield a satisfying result. I haven't yet read the original On Stranger Tides myself, but based on what I've read about it and my understanding of how Disney is using it for the new movie, I'm cautiously optimistic for a really good fourth PotC adventure that can measure up to the original, or any other great pirate movie.

Oh... thats sad. So there are no yellow pirate minifigs anymore :pir-cry_sad:

PotC is ok, but please... please change the skin-color of the licensed minifigs back to yellow. Why did they change the skin color anyway?

They were changed to more accurately represent actors, sports figures, etc. when they were portrayed in LEGO format.

After all, if you go with a darker skin tone for Lando, or Vince Carter, you have to go more 'peachy' for Luke, Han and Batman, right? :pirate_skel1:

I got to say that I prefer yellow skinned a lot. Specially because once you go peach, it promotes differentiation by color of skin, which does not suit a toy like LEGO. For licensed sets, it is probably a good idea (even though that may as well be the reason I have not purchased any yet) else people wouldn't be able to recognize Lando from Han Solo but I hope they never use them in non-licensed sets, I would probably stop buying LEGO if that happens.

Anyway, at least there will be a new set of pirate accessories and clothes even for yellow-skin fans. Plus it will not matter for skeletons and monsters.

As far as licensed themes go, this is one of the few that I think I may enjoy. I'm a little hesitant, especially given the slightly chinese look that Sparrow's hat has, but if they do this line well, it has a lot of potential.

I hope they keep the stickers to a bare minimum (or not at all), and I hope we don't end up with more rubbery parts (e.g. heads and weapons). That said, I'm looking forward to seeing what they give us!

Mind you, I was just answering the question more than making a real argument. For the record, I do think Pirates of the Caribbean discussion is perhaps better suited for the Licensed forum than the Pirates one, but I'm not troubled by it (and if I were, I'd point out that Galidor is also a license and hence belongs in Licensed rather than Action Figures, or at least it would if anyone actually ever discussed it :pir-tongue: ). Frankly, there are lots of themes and subthemes that fit more than one forum as they're organized here, and I already see discussion of certain things pop up in multiple forums with nobody getting too worked up about it (the collectible minifigures get discussed all over the place, for example). I expect to see the same with Pirates of the Caribbean eventually, with some individual topics turning up in Licensed and some turning up in Pirates.

Let's no longer continue the discussion of where PoTC will go because it's not the purpose of this thread. Besides, as I pointed out already 2 times in this thread: PoTC (all of it!) goes into our pirates forum.

Get the Mega Muck out off my eyes AAAAAAAAAARGGGH.

Based on your posting history I get the feeling you are didn't yet reach the 18 years limit (or even close) which would make you eligible to be a member on this forum. Talk we must!

I was browsing google looking for possible pictures of the POTC sets and I came upon this. Now as I understand it this is a picture of one of Lego's video games but, take a closer look at the pirate captain. His beard is black instead of red and he has a torso that I have never seen before. That is significant because one of the main charactors for POTC 4 is Blackbeard. What do the rest of you think?

That image has nothing to do with POTC. It's from Lego Universe which is comprised of minifigs that have never been seen before.

That image has nothing to do with POTC. It's from Lego Universe which is comprised of minifigs that have never been seen before.

Well, the torso design and (mirrored) face are recolorings of the classic pirate captain's torso and face:

pi055.jpg

I think they just give the normal money, but if they gonna make a skeleton monkey, they just print it.

Captain Becker

A skeleton monkey would be sweet, but I don't think they'll make one. I'm not even sure they'll make the crew in their undead state, but it's possible that they give them double sided heads with the undead version of their face on the other side. That would be cool.

I'm really hoping for whitecoats from the fourth movie, as I've heard that it begins in French Louisiana, and during the 1700's, France whore white uniforms. And maybe Spanish Yellowcoats and undead conquistadors. Also, I want some Grenadier hats.

What I was pointing out is I think it was one of those hints from Lego that we would be seeing more pirates, because if Lego really wasn't going to make any more pirates that they would just stick to the same minifigures on all of their advertising.

I was browsing google looking for possible pictures of the POTC sets and I came upon this. Now as I understand it this is a picture of one of Lego's video games but, take a closer look at the pirate captain. His beard is black instead of red and he has a torso that I have never seen before. That is significant because one of the main charactors for POTC 4 is Blackbeard. What do the rest of you think?

I think you're taking a coincidence and making a very contrived connection out of it. A good many LEGO pirates had black beards even back in ye olden days of the theme.

What I was pointing out is I think it was one of those hints from Lego that we would be seeing more pirates, because if Lego really wasn't going to make any more pirates that they would just stick to the same minifigures on all of their advertising.

… no, you're just reading waaay too deep into this. LEGO's advertising that their game has pirates in it. Like how they advertise that their game has wizards and ninjas and the like in it. It's a game that covers multiple LEGO themes, and the appearance of one group does not automatically mean that they'll be making more sets of that group.

Also, again, is there any actual confirmation of this theme? All I've seen so far are those picture of one figure that may or may not be customized and a lot of discussion about which sets people want.

Also, again, is there any actual confirmation of this theme? All I've seen so far are those picture of one figure that may or may not be customized and a lot of discussion about which sets people want.

I think there's only a 0.1% chance of this theme not happening. There's a new POTC film out next year, it's a Disney film, Lego are licensing a lot of Disney sets, the Jack Sparrow figure was in an official Lego display, the headpiece looks like the same material as other preliminary pieces we have seen, someone on this forum has said that they've seen pictures of the first wave of sets, and that there's going to be a wave in January and a wave later in the year.

It's not absolutely conclusive by scientific standards, but as rumours go, it's pretty well grounded.

I really hope they add some stuff from the MMORPG. There are undead conquistadors in it, and those would be awesome in Lego form.

Who is that? why haven't they put 'em up then?

It's back here...

"I saw a brief glimse of some art work for the Jan sets a few weeks ago and all I can say is that they rock."

I don't think achris had time to snap any pictures, nor would he probably have been allowed to.

It's back here...

"I saw a brief glimse of some art work for the Jan sets a few weeks ago and all I can say is that they rock."

I don't think achris had time to snap any pictures, nor would he probably have been allowed to.

i didn't see that post.

was there anything else shown at comic-con?

Edited by tchuk-norst

was there anything else shown at comic-con?

No... I'm hoping there might be more at 'BrickFair' this weekend, but I don't know whether it's purely a fan-based event, of if the Lego company has a presence.