Sign in to follow this  
Tanotrooper

Classic Disney theme possible?

Disney Classic?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this theme?

2. 2. Would you consider this theme a possibility?

• Yes, would sell quite good.
    • No, the sets will be overpriced and won't sell.

Hello everyone,

I don't know if there's already a topic on this, I tried the search function but didn't find anything on the first few pages.

LEGO has several Disney themes at the moment although these are mostly based on Pixar and live action movies.

In the past, we also had a Winnie the Pooh theme (DUPLO) and a Mickey Mouse theme.

I grew up in what I consider to be the height of Disney, the time when they made beautiful, powerful movies that were usually drawn by hand. (Hunchback of the Notre Dame, Hercules, The Lion King just to name a few) And I was wondering weither or not LEGO would produce sets of these movies? I don't expect LEGO to make several sets from one movie, but for example:

Notre Dame with Quasimodo, Frollo, Phoebus, Esmeralda, Clopin and perhaps brickbuilt gargoyles.

Dwarf house with Snowwhite, seven dwarfs, prince and witch

This way good sets with the main characters could be made instead of a whole theme like Toy Story. They could make all these sets into one theme, for example Disney Classics. One may say there isn't a market for it although all of these movies are quite well known by children and the characters reappear at things like Disneyland/world and Disney on Ice.

So, do you think there's a possibility for this 'theme'? Share your thoughts in this thread. :classic:

TT

Edited by Tanotrooper

It would definitely be cool. Lots and lots of new dress prints and moulds. I think it would sell well because they are still popular today.

As a Disney fan threw and threw I think it would be a fantastic. Disney already has a contract with LEGO ( Prince of persia, Toy Story and upcoming Pirates of the carrabean )

I would defenatly love to see a nice LEGO EXCLUSIVE Notre Dame de Paris in my nearest LEGO Store.

I love that movie ! I still sing Bells of notre dame, from time to time. And my cousins always want to watch it :laugh:

I'm in ! However I think it probably won't happen because these movies are "outta time" but I still hope to see a Disney Classic turned into a LEGO theme :sweet:

The classic Disney films have been so popular and have been in people's heart's for along time and I'd love to see all of the Disney classics made into a theme but maybe no have every film have their own separate theme But I'd love to see them all mashed into one big theme default_blush.gif.

I think that there is SOME market for these sets. They may not sell well, though, because kids these days aren't into this kind of stuff anymore. A big example is the announcement that the Tinker Bell movies are going to be the last for a while, because most girls don't have grand dreams to become princesses anymore. They might not be bestsellers, but they probably won't be up on sale for 20 years. Then again, it's all up to Lego and Disney whether they want to make a "Classic Disney" theme.

I think there might be a market for some sets that centre around Mickey and other iconic Disney characters but I'm not sure sets built around specific Disney films would sell. One big problem I see is that the characters as minifigs would inevitably lose a lot of their personality. Like the Toy Story characters, the animation models are very important to the integrity of those licences. I'm not sure that I'm ready for more human minifigs with molded heads.

On the flip-side, I would love to see Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy and Goofy in minifig form. This worked with Fabuland so I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well with LEGO. As I see it, sets based on iconic locations at Disney World and the various Disney Land theme parks would be great. This would provide LEGO with enough material to build some interesting sets. One of the issues I have with most licences is that the product centres around the minifigs and not the sets. We end up forking out $60+ for a few minifigs and a lackluster playset. A Disney line inspired by the theme parks shouldn't suffer such a fate. Think of the countless vehicles, rides and locations that LEGO's designers could draw upon. If LEGO gave us a Disney theme akin to last year's Toy Story line I would be thrilled. The idea of more lackluster playsets that fail to capture the character or personality of popular Disney films doesn't excite me nearly as much.

One word Mulan. Ooh boy oh boy, I use a snake as Mushu sometimes. Would love a cricket.

No, no from movies... From Comics! Yes I want a Duckburg/Mouseton theme! We could call this theme as one of the comic: Ducks and Mice :D

I would love to get a Scrooge Moneybin set with beagle boys!

Edited by Lordofdragonss

What does the possibility of the theme have to do with whether it would sell or not?

Is it possible? Sure! Anything is possible if you believe and wish upon a star! :grin:

Would it sell? Yes, like crazy, especially when sold at Disneyland parks!

Is it likely? Probably not. Despite the popularity and timelessness of Disney Classics, it's just not reasonable for TLC to make sets for several old cartoons at once. Firstly, they are old movies, so there's not currently a high demand for toys of them, and secondly, TLC would have to make a ton of new molds to make the characters accurate, not to mention the locations. I mean, just look at the current Disney themes. If they even made half as many new molds for the Classics as they did for Toy Story, PoP, Cars, and PotC just to sell one set of each movie, they would go bankrupt. So, they would either have to raise the prices for this theme through the roof or cut back on accuracy, which in turn people off and would probably not be approved by Disney to begin with.

As much as I'd love to have sets based on my favorite Disney Classics, I just don't see it happening. :sadnew:

I personally would love a classic disney theme. However, I dont think it would sell very well. Its because I dont think children, particularly boys dont want non-violent minifigs like the lion king and aladin. While I would love sets like that, I dont think many kids would want them. They just arent "cool" and the films arent in the ads so it isnt being pushed in their faces, like PoP was. Kids want fighting and action to look cool with their friends.

I would like them but they wouldnt sell at all and overpriced by Disney and because its a licensed theme.

Aww, I'd love this theme! We just watched The little Mermaid with our friends yesterday, and the way it brought me back to my childhood is just miraculous. :wub:

No, no from movies... From Comics! Yes I want a Duckburg/Mouseton theme! We could call this theme as one of the comic: Ducks and Mice :D

I would love to get a Scrooge Moneybin set with beagle boys!

There's just the problem that the comics aren't really popular outside Europe. Donald Duck and the other residents of Duckburg have been a part of Finnish culture for over sixty years, but I don't think the comics are even published in the US (correct me if I'm wrong on this).

And TLG, despite it's European origins, only makes themes that have a worldwide target group.

However, I dont think it would sell very well. Its because I dont think children, particularly boys dont want non-violent minifigs like the lion king and aladin.

I don't really believe this. Disney merchandise sells like hot cakes. And most of the toy figurines are actually non-violent. It is just the specific age group of boys (about 8-12 year olds) that are mostly into violent toys. I believe a Fabuland-type of theme would appeal especially to younger children and their parents.

Sure, the sets wouldn't be all that great build-wise from an AFOL perspective, but neither were the Fabuland sets, which consisted mostly of big wall pieces and accessories.

I personally would love a classic disney theme. However, I dont think it would sell very well. Its because I dont think children, particularly boys dont want non-violent minifigs like the lion king and aladin. While I would love sets like that, I dont think many kids would want them. They just arent "cool" and the films arent in the ads so it isnt being pushed in their faces, like PoP was. Kids want fighting and action to look cool with their friends.

I would like them but they wouldnt sell at all and overpriced by Disney and because its a licensed theme.

I actually think Aladdin would sell better than Prince of Persia! Even though the setting is pretty similar (I think) you can play a lot more with Aladdin and his monkey (sorry don't know his name) Abu and the villain Jafar (Mustafar right? :p).

However, kind of what everyone says, children who don't know the movies as good as our older generation will probably not buy it as quick. They would buy something, especially from the 'renaissance' period like Aladin and Lion King, but less from movies like Snowwhite (although for builders that would be epic too!). But most children only know Finding Nemo (also great by the way) and Toy Story (well we've got that one).

Ok, this post is a bit messy. What I want to say is that I love the idea, and I think it has potential. It depends on how LEGO and Disney would approach it. It would probably be a moderate succes.

Jan.

Edited by Mr.Brick

Even though the setting is pretty similar (I think) you can play a lot more with Aladin and his monkey (sorry don't know his name) and the villain (Mustafar right? :p).

Ahem. Aladdin, Abu, and Jafar, respectively. :wink:

I wouldn't mind a Disney theme, but only if the prices are as low as PoP or IJ, etc...

As for play features, I think Aladdin has the strongest play features possible out of the 90's movies (fling the magic carpet off a catapult!) :laugh:

Edited by prateek

Ahem. Aladdin, Abu, and Jafar, respectively. :wink:

Haha, thanks, I guess I was pretty wrong there! :p

No, I wouldn't like to see a Classic Disney theme.

If LEGO made one it would probably be very <insert that tiresome argument> long the lines of the Toy Story theme. TS had no interest to me apart from the Army Men set. I'd rather have LEGO concentrate on making more 'mature' themes.

Ever since I heard of Lego partnering with Disney, I have been envisioning something like a Classic Disney line. Produce one set containing all the main characters (3-5 or so), add minimal accessories, price it around $15, and watch it fly off the shelves.

Alternatively, or perhaps in addition, bring girls even more on board with Lego by putting out "princess packs" (lame name I know- but stay with me). These could be a line of all the Disney princesses, with accessories, similar in piece count to the Star Wars battle packs, with one princess, a friend/sidekick (think Ariel and Flounder), and some accessories.

Do I think Lego would ever produce either of these? No, but I think both would sell well by appealing to both Lego and Disney fans who fondly remember childhood movies.

What does the possibility of the theme have to do with whether it would sell or not?

Is it possible? Sure! Anything is possible if you believe and wish upon a star! :grin:

Would it sell? Yes, like crazy, especially when sold at Disneyland parks!

Is it likely? Probably not. Despite the popularity and timelessness of Disney Classics, it's just not reasonable for TLC to make sets for several old cartoons at once. Firstly, they are old movies, so there's not currently a high demand for toys of them, and secondly, TLC would have to make a ton of new molds to make the characters accurate, not to mention the locations. I mean, just look at the current Disney themes. If they even made half as many new molds for the Classics as they did for Toy Story, PoP, Cars, and PotC just to sell one set of each movie, they would go bankrupt. So, they would either have to raise the prices for this theme through the roof or cut back on accuracy, which in turn people off and would probably not be approved by Disney to begin with.

As much as I'd love to have sets based on my favorite Disney Classics, I just don't see it happening. :sadnew:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

-Omi

I would love to see LEGO's take on Aladdin, especially after what they did for PoP. I would also like to see is The Little Mermaid; that would give us plenty of pieces to add to Atlantis :laugh:

Tarzan and Lion King would also be good themes to see; we need more animals!!!

And I would love to see the grand ballroom in Beauty and the Beast.

Maybe a Princess line to add to our slowly expanding line of LEGO females (I assume this is the theme that would be most valid for 2 reason: 1) Princess is Disney's biggest franchise; 2) LEGO could open markets into a wider female demographic (especially in the ages 5-12). It would be very popular amongst guys too I expect.

~t7_c

Aww, I'd love this theme! We just watched The little Mermaid with our friends yesterday, and the way it brought me back to my childhood is just miraculous. :wub:

There's just the problem that the comics aren't really popular outside Europe. Donald Duck and the other residents of Duckburg have been a part of Finnish culture for over sixty years, but I don't think the comics are even published in the US (correct me if I'm wrong on this).

And TLG, despite it's European origins, only makes themes that have a worldwide target group.

I don't really believe this. Disney merchandise sells like hot cakes. And most of the toy figurines are actually non-violent. It is just the specific age group of boys (about 8-12 year olds) that are mostly into violent toys. I believe a Fabuland-type of theme would appeal especially to younger children and their parents.

Sure, the sets wouldn't be all that great build-wise from an AFOL perspective, but neither were the Fabuland sets, which consisted mostly of big wall pieces and accessories.

Disney comics are very popular in the united states. wE HAVE ALL SORTS OF REPRINTS AND idw PUBLISHES them now.