The Ultimate Harry Potter Poll!

Which is your favorite...  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Hogwarts Castle?

2. 2. Hogwarts Express?

3. 3. Hagrids Hut?

4. 4. Quidditch Match?

5. 5. Dobbys Release?

Okay, so the new Harry Potter sets are finally hitting store shelves, and most of them are remakes of old sets, some of which have already seen multiple iterations. So, naturally, we have to ask ourselves: Are they really an improvement over their predecessors? It's time to compare the different versions of the five remade Harry Potter sets and decide which are our favorites!

The most redone set, of course, is the Hogwarts castle. There are four different versions. The first one (4709) is a nice, simple, classic rendition of the exterior of the castle, with a few play features on the inside, but it's lacking details. It comes with the most essential figs you will need in a Hogwarts set: Dumbledore, Hagrid, Malfoy, and the trio. The second version (4757) only depicts part of the castle - the clock tower and the gryffindor tower. The interior is more detailed here, and instead of Hagrid, it includes Professor Trelawney, as well as some Dementors. The third version (5378) is more of a playset than a depiction of the castle. While the exterior has lots of gaps, the interior includes several random scenes from OotP that are quite detailed. It also includes a green house and fleshy versions of all the figs from the first Hogwarts set, as well as Snape, Dolores Umbridge, and a Death Eater. The fourth version (4842) has both a very solid and accurate looking exterior and a very detailed interior that depicts scenes from different HP movies. It also has the largest variety of characters, although Ron and Draco are missing in this version.

hogwarts.jpg

The Harry Potter set with the second most remakes is the Hogwarts Express. The first version (4708) consisted of the engine, one passenger wagon, and a part of Platform 9¾. It had push-along wheels and came with the trio. The second version (4758) looked very similar to the first, but had some more play features and came with a small Hogsmead Station instead of Platform 9¾. Also, instead of Hermione, you got Lupin and a Dementor. The fourth version (10132) was basically a motorized deluxe version of 4758. The train had an additional tender and motorized wheels, and instead of the pathetic station, you got a whole track as well as a small Hogsmead tavern. The fourth version (4841) is comprised of the engine, a tender, and one passenger wagon, all of which have been updated with some more details, giving the train a more accurate look. It comes with a remake of the Ford Anglia (which first appeared in 4728 Escape from Privet Drive), and a food trolley. It has the highest number of minifigs in a Hogwarts Express set and includes Harry, Ron, Malfoy, Luna, and Ginny, as well as three printed owls.

hogwarts_express.jpg

Another set that has seen three different variations is Hagrid's Hut. The first version (4707) had a nice octagonal shape and could be folded open nicely, but the roof was entirely made of paper, and you needed to put a rubberband around it to keep it in a cone shape. It came with Hagrid, Dumbledore, Norbert, and an owl. The second version (4754) was much more square in shape, was completely brick-built, and included Hagrid and Hermione. The third version (4738) is overall similar in design to the second one, but includes the complete trio, as well as both Aragog and Norbert, and more details, such as printed owls, pumpkins, mushrooms, a light brick, and Hagrid's umbrella.

hagrids_hut.jpg

One set that has two similar versions is Quidditch Practice/Match. The first version (4726) included three goal posts, a catapult, a spectator tower with a half-Slytherin-half-Gryffindor color scheme and broom closet, along with minifigs of Harry, Malfoy, and Madame Hooch. The neat thing about the tower's mix color scheme is that if you bought two of this set, you could make one Gryffindor tower and one Slytherin tower. However, you would only have four players. In addition to what the first edition had, the new version (4737) includes Markus Flint, Oliver Wood, an extra catapult, and a podium with a trophy. The tower has a Ravenclaw color scheme for some reason (NOT a Hufflepuff one as S@H claims), and instead of the closet, it has a score board. If you buy multiples of this set, you'll end up with a bunch of unnecessary things, such as catapults and trophies, and you would only have Ravenclaw towers. However, you'd be much closer to having full teams than you would have been with the old set.

quidditch.jpg

The fifth set that was redone for the 2010 wave is Freeing Dobby. The first version (4731) was a vignette showing a random corner in Hogwarts with a cute desk and some hidden compartments. It included only Dobby and Lucius Malfoy. The second version (4736) is larger and depicts the arch under which Malfoy stood in this scene in CoS. It includes Harry as well, Dobby is printed this time, and Lucius carries his Death Eater mask with him. The book is not printed in this version, but it's more movie accurate this way.

dobbys_release.jpg

So get voting! I hope these brief descriptions helped refresh your memory and will aid you in the decision making process. :classic: Feel free to share your thoughts and the reasons for your decisions!

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Good idea for a poll! Here are my choices;

The latest Hogwarts Castle is brilliant, it's so detailed and so many figures.

The motorised Hogwarts Express has to be my favourite. I never got it, but I'd say it's the best because of the station and the fact that it's motorised.

The latest Hagrid's Hut, just because it has 4 figures and Aragog. Then the light-up brick and the better roof than the first version.

The latest Quidditch set as well because of the figures, they really do make that set.

And finally, the firs version of Dobby's Release, just because the building is a lot better and you get the better printed book and sock.

I was wondering when a poll might happen, thanks 'Oky Wan'.

I voted for all the new sets, but I will agree on 'SuperChris' about the Dobby set on there is more to build, but I voted on the figures, cool looking Lucius and Dobby himself.

20% off at Target in Oz tomorrow, hello layby counter ! :grin:

edit -

Oops, I forgot.....I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Edited by lightningtiger

Well, I ended up voting for the newest versions of all five. They all boast the best selection of minifigures in my opinion, and have enough details to depict scenes from various films rather than focusing on a particular one. The only set I wasn't totally certain about was the Quidditch set, and even there the new one came out on top for having more figs and more accessories (such as the helmets and beaters' bats).

Regrettably for all of these I never owned any but the oldest iterations of them. In the case of Hogwarts Castle this is particularly regrettable as the sets from book/film 3 and 5 are both rather magnificent. You failed to mention that the one from OotP also has a greenhouse, including a couple mandrakes. While having the least aesthetically pleasing exterior, it was this sort of detail that makes it so beautiful in hindsight.

Wow, what an extremely well put together poll. Kudos oky!

I had to go with the newest version of everything except the castle, I think the 3rd version can hold its own against the new one.

I voted for the most recent Hogwarts, it's the first time we got a Filch... oh yeah, we got a Flitwick too! :thumbup:

I voted for the third express, mainly because it's the only one that comes with track.

I voted for the first Hagrids Hut. Back in the day, it was a nice cheap way to get Dumbledore.

I voted for the second Quidditch game, a lot more characters.

And finally I voted for the first Dobby set. The backdrop looks a lot more Hogwartsy, even if Mr. Malfoy is a... bit off. :tongue:

Great Poll Oky!

Generally the new sets score very highly with me for the minifigs. The new castle looks great, it's not obvious to me that the other new sets are any better than the old ones, being very close in design. This is a missed opportunity.

Hogwarts - they are all fantastic, I have the first 3 and Christmas is coming! For me, 4757 is the best because of the amazing clockwork clock and portcullis. 4709 is awesome for its design, play features, and semi-modularity with early HP sets, let down only by the cardboard roof. 4842 looks brilliant for the minifigs especially McGonagall, Flitwick, Filch. 5378 was very underappreciated on launch but would come last on my list, though the Umbridge and Death Earter figs were great. I gather it was not a big seller, I hope this range does much better. It would have been sweet to have the Hogwarts sets as modular buildings to expand the castle with common rooms, dormitories, kitchens and so on.

Train - 10132 rules. Motorised with station. I have only 4708. The new one has the top class Luna minifig but the rest of the set is just a cynical remake to make us pay up for Luna. Bricklink.

Hagrid - 4754 is the only set with the time turner Hermione and that makes it a must own. The new one looks very similar but with nice mushrooms and a lame Aragog. I see no reason to buy it when you could get 4754 for half the price on eBay. 4707 is quite innovative but no coherent floorspace means little play value, cardboard roof is not my thing.

Quidditch - this is a tough call, Flint and Wood swing it for the new one, but the 4726 stand is far superior with its printed Gryffindor and Slytherin bricks. I understood Hufflepuff colours to be black and yellow. I think this new one is meatnt to be neutral or Ravenclaw, which makes no sense as it is the Gryffindor-Ravenclaw game of November 1992

Dobby - this is a kind of BP set and so I have to judge it on the minifigs, a win for the new one. I prefer the fleshie Dobby. The old Lucius is very cool but the death Eater double-head again wins. I totally agree with SuperChris on the book and sock though, with so much of the new sets just re-made, why not re-make the good bits?

robuko

Edited by robuko

I voted for all the original sets, because they had the yellow style lego people. While the flesh tones are kinda cool, I prefer the classic yellow for my mini-figs heads, as it make ALL of the torsos and head combinations more compatible.

Could anyone explain why they voted for the first Hagrid's Hut over the others? I'm not being rude, I'm generally curious as to why.

Well, in my opinion the figures and details in the new sets sealed it for me. Excluding the Hogwarts Express, all new all the way :grin: . Though i will admit that the second HP castle was excellent. The new Hogwarts express has good figs, and some good accessories, but has little improvement over its predecessors. You cant go wrong with a motorized HE. It appears that Dobby's release is the closest, which surprised me.

Sirius

I voted for all the new sets except for the first Hagrids Hut, it was filled with such nice details, and I liked how it could open up, plus it has a special place in my heart as being the first Harry Potter set I got.

I voted for all the new sets except for the first Hagrids Hut, it was filled with such nice details, and I liked how it could open up, plus it has a special place in my heart as being the first Harry Potter set I got.

The original Hagrid's Hut set was a good set-- I remember when I first got it-- and it's very nicely designed. However, the paper roof was a real detractor-- it was always coming apart, and the rubber band that held it closed made it awkward to open and close. And of course, being a set from the original line, it only represented one book/film. The current iteration may be a little more blocky with the way its roof is done, but it's a lot less fragile and feels more like a proper LEGO set.

Also, this is a side note, but might be a good time to change your sig (not saying that the Chinese products all have the same quality as the rest of LEGO's products, but they definitely all use the exact same plastic-- any quality issues are coming from something else entirely).

No one caught this? Really? You are all sucky Harry Potter fans to not realize that in the second quiddich set, it's a RAVENCLAW tower, not Hufflepuff. I've had to correct this before. The lego catalogue got it wrong too. :hmpf_bad:

I voted for all the new ones, except the train (motorized), and the hut (second rendition).

Edited by Nick Wolfe

Wow, what an extremely well put together poll. Kudos oky!

Thanks. It couldn't be called the "Ultimate HP Poll" if it wasn't, now could it? :grin:

Could anyone explain why they voted for the first Hagrid's Hut over the others?

Well, I didn't vote for it because of the figs and details in the new version, but I'll answer anyway. Most reasons have already been mentioned: It had a nice round shape, Norbert and Dumbledore, a bunch of accessories, and opened up into a nice big playset.

No one caught this? Really? You are all sucky Harry Potter fans to not realize that in the second quiddich set, it's a RAVENCLAW tower, not Hufflepuff. I've had to correct this before. The lego catalogue got it wrong too. :hmpf_bad:

Whoopsie-daisy! Yeah, I guess I do suck. :tongue: I was looking at the S@H description while writing that, and didn't even think about it. I corrected it now.

Interesting that most of you like the motorized Express better than the new one. Motorization is a neat feature, and the tavern/station is pretty good, but tracks and motors is something one can easily get separately and add to any Express, and the Weasley car is pretty good for what it is. I personally like the details and rounded roof on the new one better.

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Interesting that most of you like the motorized Express better than the new one. Motorization is a neat feature, and the tavern/station is pretty good, but tracks and motors is something one can easily get separately and add to any Express, and the Weasley car is pretty good for what it is. I personally like the details and rounded roof on the new one better.

I totally agree, Oky. Besides for coming with a whole (made-up) Hogsmeade station, I really find nothing special about the motorized one at all. In fact, it was exactly the same as the non-motorized one that came out in the very same wave, except that it had a coal car. Honestly, though, it was the same crappy model, and just had the premium price of coming with track and motorization. Seems about as easy to motorize the new one, with 9V anyway. I'm not sure how PF would work.

I totally agree, Oky. Besides for coming with a whole (made-up) Hogsmeade station, I really find nothing special about the motorized one at all. In fact, it was exactly the same as the non-motorized one that came out in the very same wave, except that it had a coal car. Honestly, though, it was the same crappy model, and just had the premium price of coming with track and motorization. Seems about as easy to motorize the new one, with 9V anyway. I'm not sure how PF would work.

But that bigger Hogsmeade is infinitely nicer. Also perhaps people view it as "which set would you rather have?" and in that case one with a motor and track will win every time.

Anyway, excellent topic. I'm going to 9V my new Hogwarts express on the weekend, I'm assuming it'll be a pretty simple task.

I voted for all the new ones, except the train (motorized), and the hut (second rendition).

Actually, a few posts above you, robuko pointed that out.

I like all the New Sets but only the old one of Freeing Dobby I like more. The minifigs in the new one are awsome but the building of the old one is much more nice then the new one :wink:

Whoopsie-daisy! Yeah, I guess I do suck. :tongue: I was looking at the S@H description while writing that, and didn't even think about it. I corrected it now.

It's ok, you don't suck that much.

Actually, a few posts above you, robuko pointed that out.

Oops, didn't see that. :blush:

I wonder what would happen if all four castles were put together :devil:

I'm not sure how PF would work.

Maybe I should make a topic for this.

Motorizing the new version is quite easy (as long as you have the passenger train).

You put the Receiver in the back of the engine, then you put the motorized bogie where the basic one is supposed to go. Then, the hardest part is to remove the tender of the secret compartment, so you have a 4x8 space. Then put the battery box in the tender.

Now wire it all up, and your ready to go! :classic:

Edited by legowill1

Great idea for a poll, Oky! :wink:

I picked all the new ones except for the castle - I love me some clocktower! But really, I'm quite happy that I made it out of my dark age for this wave. IIRC I saw some of the older sets in passing, and at the time thought there was something unappealing about their construction (paper, BURPs, lack of detail).

But now more than just "sour grapes," I really love the attention to detail in the models, and the consistent design of the new minifigs. Some of those old faces were just plain ugly! The new faces all look amazing to me. (Ah, Hermione! :wub: )

I wonder what would happen if all four castles were put together :devil:

Big Brick did the best I've seen in the 2010 discussion thread:

allhogwarts.jpg

New Harry Potter Castle-Lots of great figs.

New Quidditch-Better figs

New Dobby-Three better figs

Motorized Hogwarts-Motorized :tongue:

Hagrid- second one. :tongue: