Sign in to follow this  
KimT

[Review] Exclusive Classic Spaceman Magnet

Spaceman Questionaire  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Are you ready to spend enough to get this?

• Hell yeah!
    • Nope
  2. 2. Would you buy this as a regular magnet?

• Definately
    • Nope, sorry classic space is a no-go

med_gallery_101_23_411980.png

Set Name: Exclusive Spaceman Magnet

Set# : 2855028 / 4611606

Parts: 8

Price: Comes as a gift with a purchase over 55 EUR through Shop@Home & LEGO Stores

med_gallery_101_23_5223.jpg

Bricklink

Shop@Home

Brickshelf (when public)

I have just returned to my summer cottage after 3 days in Hamburg.

I made sure to visit the LEGO Store and bought the Space Shuttle :wub:

As a gift, they gave me this magnet.

Front of bag:

med_gallery_101_23_59063.png

The polybag is by now a classic way for TLG to pack their promotionals and give-aways.

I like the spacey look of this one and being saluted by a white spaceman always feel good.

Rear of polybag:

med_gallery_101_23_1007493.png

All the usual multilanguage warnings on not to eat this and not to ram it down the throat of kids less than 3 years old. Plus it says that the parts are made in Denmark & China :sceptic:

Inventory:

med_gallery_101_23_252512.png

8 Parts as it says on the polybag front:

Helmet, classic head, airtanks, torso, legs, 1x2 dark bluish gray plate, printed 2x4 black tile & magnet brick.

The arms have the China imprintings and the all the white parts (except the helmet) look a little odd-white.

It's not as shiny as the regular LEGO white, but it could be that TLG has introduced a new plastic mix to prevent cracks and tears?

The helmet is very shiny, but has some flaws, which I'll later explain.

Not much to say about the dark bluish gray parts, except that they're... well... parts :laugh:

Which brings us to:

med_gallery_101_23_291874.png

This baby :wub:

Perfect print, perfect logo and perfect catch-line - a WINNER!

Now back to the helmet:

gallery_101_23_90180.pnggallery_101_23_33966.png

The helmet is the new one - the classic one died ages ago and wont be back as it had a tendence to crack and bend.

So please no complaints - with the new rules on toys and TLG's own quality control, the old one would never have gone into production today.

I have a few dislikings to the new one though :blush:

The mold line is clearly visible on top of the helmet - which is unacceptable in my opinion.

TLG does a great job of hiding mold lines and push-out marks.

This isn't good enough considering their skills and know-how.

The visor holes and the sinking of the visor into the helmet looks awfully, I wish they'd do a helmet without punch-holes.

All in all, I still think this is a great magnet and I'll definately try to get as many as possible to keep mint in own personal MISB Vault - which really isn't that big yet - actually it holds mostly polybags and a few regular sets :laugh:

"...in space since 1978"

What I've noticed first is the mising part on the hand of the space man pic. Strange they didn't notice it before putting online...

If not the mini was already in the Vintage Minifigures collection pack Vol.2

852535-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

so nothing new. Anyway, as a good nerd that I am, I ordered for more than 55 Euros to recieve it.

But as a good dumb that i am, I forgot to put the code in my command!!! :D

Fortunatly Lego Sellers are super cool and they sent me one after i explained them my mistake! Thanks to them! :)

But what about a lime green space man for the next one! And an orange one!!! I dream to have them in those colors.

Just the colors they got in the lego game: Lunar Command. here...

Edited by Toth

Nice review KimT :thumbup: , I will receive mine shortly. I really love that printed tile. :sweet:

@ Toth: the space man in the Vintage Minifigure collection was not printed correctly, the planet and space ship were printed in the middle of the torso and that isn't how they belong, this new version has the correct printing. And this magnet is a homage to the first space set TLC produced so of course it's got to be withe because the first mini figures were white and red.

But I would love new colors in another magnet set.

the Inventor

yes, i knew about the homage. I won't tell you I had the very first sets as I was 1 only in 1978 but I had those white and red space men.

For the print on the Vintage Minifigure collection, yes, i can understand it disturbs you.

But honestly, nothing big. Then if you really want to be a purist, you need to buy real vintage ones with classic helmet.

And thank you for the nice review KimT. I forgot it in my first message! ;)

Edited by Toth

But I would love new colors in another magnet set.

Yeah me too, I'd die for a blue, black, yellow and red version :wub:

And that can be arranged with a little tile shopping on Bricklink :laugh:

Lovely review, KimT! I'll need to spend a bit of wonga to get a few of these, if only for that fantastic printed tile :wub: I'll have to dig out the old spacedudes to get all five colours on the fridge :wink:

Thanks for the review. One showed up with my Shuttle Adventure order. I haven't opened the bag yet.

Thanks for the little review 'KimT' - a nice old school spaceman....ah the good old days, sadly I was a Legotown kid and not that much in too space when I was into Lego. :sadnew:

Anyway, I feel the helmet is a little let down, but I do understand the original helmets had a problem with breaking on the chin piece of the helmet.

Anyway, a nice addition to ones fridge and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Lovely review KimT! default_thumbup.gif I think it's a great bonus/gift for a 55 euro-purchase. Too bad I don't get my sets at S@H, so the only way I could probably get this is through BL or eBay.

med_gallery_101_23_252512.png

852535-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

Good to see they changed the badly printed version of the minifig collection (logo placed in the middle of the torso default_hmpfbad.gif ) to the older standard!

... printed 2x4 black tile ...

med_gallery_101_23_291874.png

*gasp*

YES, YES - YES!!! default_wubnew.gif

I don't care for the fig (I have plenty of them) - I just want 10 of those tiles!

Thanks for the review, Kim.

I ordered my (absolutely gorgeous) space shuttle a day before this promotion started, so I ended up going back to shop@home and ordering the new passenger train earlier than planned so I didn't miss out on one of these beauties ! I'm a sucker for classic space, and just couldn't resist it.....

Dr. D.

nice. Somewhere in my parent's attic is one of these original space guys..actually a few. I think I have a few unbroken helmets too.

Thanks for the quick review, KimT! Personally I wouldn't fork over $75 USD just to get this magnet, but the polybag looks great, so I might have to try and find this on BrickLink someday. Also, I love the 2 x 4 printed tile! :wub:

There's one flaw in your review, though: You forgot to show a pic of the assembled magnet! :tongue:

Edited by ILikePi

I'm in two minds about this. The printed tile is great and I would normally go for it, as there are several big sets I was planning to buy anyway. On the other hand, if I wait until Brickfair in three weeks (which I think is after the promotion period), then I would get at least a 20% discount on sets I buy there, which means this minifig effectively costs me $15 to get through S@H. If they're still offering it at the Lego store over there, that would be the best thing.

If they're still offering it at the Lego store over there, that would be the best thing.

They won't be. Any monthly promo stuff like this that is left over at the end of the month is gotten rid of. Even if there are a lot of them left, which is often the case, you can't get it after that month is over. I don't know what they do with it, throw it out or send it back or what, but I know they stop giving it out the last day of the month.

I got one of these added to my order when I bought a set from the online Lego store, but when I received the model I had ordered it wasn't there. Two days later a package arrived for me, and lo and behold it was the spaceman magnet. You may think sending it by itself was odd in itself, but you would expect something this small to come in a padded envelope, however it had been sent by itself in 32x21x7cm box! *huh* Maybe my spaceman paid extra to travel first class :laugh:

I just went to order one of the new Star Wars sets and it seems the free Spaceman minifig offer is no longer valid. I guess they ended it a day early. :-/

I got one of these added to my order when I bought a set from the online Lego store, but when I received the model I had ordered it wasn't there. Two days later a package arrived for me, and lo and behold it was the spaceman magnet. You may think sending it by itself was odd in itself, but you would expect something this small to come in a padded envelope, however it had been sent by itself in 32x21x7cm box! *huh* Maybe my spaceman paid extra to travel first class :laugh:

I also ordered alot of bricks and with me it was the same case, i got the magnet spaceman within 2 days in a big box but the actual package came a few days later. Quite funny actually :tongue: .

I went to the local store to sign my son up for the Lego Club meeting. We bought a small set for me and a slightly larger one for him. We hit the $75 so we were given one of these. My son did not want it (he is into his Knights right now :wink: ) so Daddy got to keep it for his collection.

Now the struggle, open it or not.... :laugh:

I just went to order one of the new Star Wars sets and it seems the free Spaceman minifig offer is no longer valid. I guess they ended it a day early. :-/

Shame (maybe they ran out?), I placed an order last friday, didn't even know about the freebie until the checkout. So I suppose I'm expecting 2 packages then?

About the helmet: I think the "new" (20 years ago it was still new) helmet looks awful without a visor. I have replaced all my classic figs' helmets with the "new" (not the SP3 2010 new) version in that colour and added a trans light blue visor. (The only really common colour not used in Space.) Looks a million times better.