KimT

LEGO Star Wars 2010 Pictures and Rumors

Not really. It's a larger scale, with more detail and no play functions, so it certainly counts as a UCS. They also gave it a stand, which makes it part of the series.

The actual set itself could easily be released as a regular set without people going 'Wow, this should be a UCS', whereas this and this could not. Regardless, most UCS sets have at least 1000 pieces. Plus, compare it to the regular version. It has the same level of detail, only it's a much flatter shape, to keep the cost down. This is really just the same step up as the Slave I had from this to this, but being passed of as UCS, when really it's just a bit of an update.

Oh, but it has a stand....I must be completely wrong, then. :hmpf:

The Droid dome is definitely bigger - you can tell it's at least 3 studs wide from the pic.

Edited by -Tilius-

Oh, but it has a stand....I must be completely wrong, then. default_hmpf.gif

There's no reason to be sarcastic.

And UCS is whatever LEGO calls it. One of the earliest Star Wars UCS sets only had 187 pieces.

Really? I think it's at least 4x4 studs.

Oh, you're right. That's too bad.

Is that cockpit new, or is it the same as the Ep.3 JSF?

From the looks of it - same cockpit as all the other JSF sets in recent times.

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Ok, I'm not trying to argue too much here, but I really don't think this can be called just an update of the old starfighter. Why? Because it's too big for figures. While other ships that get updates like the Slave I, Vader's Tie, Y-Wing, etc. do get a little bigger than the older versions, they still stay a size that looks good with figures. This ship is big, and Obi-Wan would look pretty small sitting in that cockpit.

So it doesn't seem like that many pieces. But it's a heck of a lot more pieces than LEGO usually uses to make a starfighter. I suppose they could've made it even bigger in order to push it into the 1000+ part range, but then this cockpit piece wouldn't have worked anymore and I'm not sure what would have been gained. Obviously, most other UCS models even of a personal ship have been bigger and have had more pieces, but that doesn't mean this isn't also a good looking display model. The price, on the other hand… but that's a discussion for elsewhere.

And the cockpit is the one that was used on the EpIII fighters, or so it looks.

Thanks for the photos of the UCS JSF KimT! I gotta say that JSF is pretty neat, though I notice several inaccuracies, particularly the size of the astromech droid head is clearly larger than what it should be (4X4 is a bit large, 3x3 would do-but there's no such dome right?). The droid head should have also been positioned nearer the cockpit (see reference pic).

4813920122_fca78965d1_m.jpg4813920120_f1ba2344d6_m.jpg

From the looks of it - same cockpit as all the other JSF sets in recent times.

That UCS JSF cockpit (similar to this 4813969828_788d9ee28c_t.jpg) was only used in the Ep.III JSFs (Eta-class), but the recent Delta 7B JSF sets (Aethersprite-class) use this cockpit piece 4813346479_e65175f775_t.jpg.

Hmmm...I can't say I'm terribly fond of the JSF. It's kind of small for a UCS (which is fine, since it's a small ship anyway), but if they're going to make it UCS, they can at least get the shape right... right?

Must not comment on price....

Now that you pointed out the cockpit, you're it is that one from Ep.III, but has anyone noticed that the wings are not broad enough - what does everyone think ?

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Now that you pointed out the cockpit, you're it is that one from Ep.III, but has anyone noticed that the wings are not broad enough - what does everyone think ?

I'm a conformist! ! default_satisfied.gif

I think the wing's sizes are just about right. The wings of the real JSF looks wider because its cockpit glass is more covered (and hence looks smaller) than that of the UCS JSF.

Though that comparison with a film still does point out some blatant inaccuracies in the model, I still think that we need to see more views of the set before deciding. Straight on, the wings may look much better.

Though that comparison with a film still does point out some blatant inaccuracies in the model, I still think that we need to see more views of the set before deciding. Straight on, the wings may look much better.

Agreed.

Well, if Brickdoctor is right with his piece count of 416,

Source is here.

EDIT: Grrrrrr, why can't the forum combine posts when I want it to and not when I don't want it too? :angry::tongue:

Edited by Brickdoctor

UCS will never be a matter of size. It is a matter of details.

If it is possible to do a model with fewer parts but with as much details, why this model should be bigger ?

I do like the UCS JSF! I think it is very accurate built.

Obis JSF in system was the second set I ever got since I got out of my darkages.

It was after I bought this ship it all escalated into a SW madness.

So the ship itself has a special place in my heart. Plus I really like the design of it.

About the SDCC set, great for Angus Maclane to get his uniqe idea released by LEGO.

Will be very interesting to see what those will go for on eBay and BL once they´re out.

I like the look of the box itself.

I like the starfighter, not too small but not so big it looses it proportions. If they had made it bigger, it wouldve needed a bigger cockpit piece which would have pushed up the price and that wouldnt be something people would want. Im not a USC collector myself so this set doesnt really interest me though.

Thanks for the pic! :thumbup:

I'm not a fan of USC sets (just like Roncanator) but the Imperial Shuttle is outstanding and a no-brainer for me.

TLC has done a great job on borrowing it's design from Dmac. :cry_happy:

Thanks wung for the picture!

I like the design of USC JSF, which definitly looks a lot like Cavegod's version (well done!).

Not sure yet if I'm getting this but I'm tempted seeying those pictures.

Mmm if this is the last 2010 to be revealed than I'm already looking forward to 2011.

Cant have enough new sets to look forward too. :grin:

I knew it would be UCS EP.II :tongue:

The set is pritty much what I expected, But that new Printed 4x4 Dish with R4 certainly gives it a very nice look. I absolutlely Love it :wub:

It certainly does remind me of Cavegods version, and there are certainly resmbulances, however, After looking at both very carefully, I think they are almost completely different apart from the ship and scale, which are both fairly unaviodable. None the less, If you manage to get a free $100 set out of it, go for your life :wink:

Looks great, love how they enlarged the Astromech head, instead of using a normal minifig one that looks tiny (mostly pointing at the X and Y wing UCS sets)

There's no reason to be sarcastic.

And UCS is whatever LEGO calls it. One of the earliest Star Wars UCS sets only had 187 pieces.

Yes, I know, and I am aware that Lego is calling it a UCS. I'm not trying to argue with facts. What I am saying, though, is that it could easily be passed off as a normal set. Obviously it's a UCS set, I get that, but they could've released it without the UCS label without anyone thinking 'Hm, this should be a UCS set', and I think most people would agree. That's what I'm saying. I know Lego is calling it a UCS. I know. *sigh*

I know Lego is calling it a UCS. I know. *sigh*

:hmpf:

Well. I think that this is a great set! I really like the cockpit area, R2 unit, and sloped SNOT pointed tip! I probably won't buy it when it is released, but I would buy it on sale... :classic: It's nice to get some UCS sets that are greatly detailed, but don't need their own room to display! :laugh:

Thanks Whung for the pix (you always pull it off! :thumbup: )

UCS Delta-7 looks very good. I prefer a detailed minifig scale model, but that's just my personal taste. They could have easily made it a bit smaller, with the same amount of detail (a bit bigger than minifig scale is no problem for me) and add a normal droid and a cool new fig. Alas, we already have the great Imperial shuttle, so you won't hear me complain.

Cubedudes are not my kind of thing, but I just love the packaging!! Won't buy a product just for the box though... :wink:

DR

PS: two things really bothering me: 1. could this cavegod guy please stop telling us how great his creations are and how Lego steals his designs... The design is from Lucas. Recreating it in Lego (especially when you use the cockpit piece) ends up in a certain scale. No wonder it looks like yours. :hmpf: 2. Is this UCS discussion ever going to stop, it's starting to get really boring.... :hmpf_bad:

Now the draught is truly broken! A second UCS and one to sit nicely alongside the N1, Grevious and Maul. I'm not a big fan of the prequals but their design elements have always intrigued me. The evolution of SW aesthetics from the elegant 1930's car curves through to 50's hotrods nicely offset the hard lines of many of the earlier OT design motifs.

The JSF sits right at the beginning of the 'new' imperial pedigree and at the twilight of the republic. If they ever do a UCS A-Wing then the two will look great next to each other, the later being a return to softer lines and a more 'civilised age'- despite each being wedged shaped and rather deadly looking...

I think the JSF will prove an enjoyable Sunday afternoon build comparable to the UCS Tie Interceptor in piece count and price (despite ten years of inflation). The larger printed astromech will also be popular with future MOCs and lets face it, how long will it take for one of us to throw together a UCS Hyperdrive Ring to complement it?

Lot's of fun. :thumbup:

Bring on the high-res images!

Yes, I know, and I am aware that Lego is calling it a UCS. I'm not trying to argue with facts. What I am saying, though, is that it could easily be passed off as a normal set. Obviously it's a UCS set, I get that, but they could've released it without the UCS label without anyone thinking 'Hm, this should be a UCS set', and I think most people would agree. That's what I'm saying. I know Lego is calling it a UCS. I know. *sigh*

UCS sets are supposed to be just a version of the set that is larger and more detailed than previous incarnations. There is no rule that says a UCS set has to have a high piece count. If TLC released it without the UCS label, then AFOLs would wonder why it didn't have a label when it had a UCS-type stand and was obviously UCS-scale, and kids would wonder what in the world they were supposed to do with a Starfighter that doesn't seat a normal minifig. Adding the UCS label defines it as a set primarily for older builders who want to display it. There are only so many pieces one can fit into a space dogfighter. They were purposely designed by ILM to be small in the first place.