Sisco

2010 FIFA World Cup

The World Cup is fast approaching, and there's no topic yet!

Discuss Football's Biggest Party Here!

(sorry if there is a topic already, I did a search and found no topics)

Scotland all the way!!! :sing::thumbup:

:look:

Oops they didn't qualify... :blush:

England then? :sceptic:

None of my 'national' teams are in, it's a shame!

I'm Brazilian, but I don't actually support the National Team. I usually support Paraguay in World Cups, but although I like to discuss football, I don't really care much about the World Cup. Especially the groups stage.

Although I don't support the Brazilian Team, I do believe it's going to win the World Cup. I see no real match to Brazil - it's got the best players, the best group and it's playing rather well ("redondinho", as we say it).

England is probably the second best team this year, but I don't believe it can win. France, Italy and Germany, the other giants, are not at their best right now. Spain is always a lot of talk, but lets face it: no real football, no real victories, no World Cup titles. Portugal doesn't have "Big Phill" anymore, and Cristiano Ronaldo is no wizard to win games all by himself. The only team left is Argentina. They got Messi, but he never played well in the national team (but Tevez is there; Argentina probably has the second or third best attack in the Cup). Asia has never had any tradition in World Cups. Nor Africa. Oceania or North America someone? I thought not. Even though Mexico is one of the great world teams, tt won't get to the finals.

So my bet is: Brazil wins the title. England or maybe Argentina come second (and third). Italy, Germany and France will probably come next. Mexico will be close, but probably among the 16 best.

Remember this is a vey unpasionate analysis; I DON'T support the Brazilian theme. But I DO LIKE football enough to discuss it. So, passion aside, these are my 2 cents.

England - home of my great-grandparents and "mother-country".

BTW did you notice that something like the sixth largest number of travelers to the World Cup in SA are coming from Canada? And we did not even qualify! Hopefully we will not have to wait as long as N. Korea who last qualified in 1966.

Portugal because it's my country, I don't really like football, even though yesterday we got 3 clean ones and one by 3 to none...

As im from England i guess i had better support them but im not really fussed. kind of given up with the national team as they always under achieve and are full of nasty characters.

im just looking forward to having 3 games of football on a day for the next few weeks ! :thumbup:

medium.jpg

'Here we are again' (South Africa was once a Dutch Settlement during the 'Dutch East India Company' times ) :tongue:

It's obvious who I am supporting, but for those who still don't understand; The Netherlands, aka Holland.

England. PERIOD! :tongue:

Hopefully we'll get to atleast the Semi's. Any less and I'm not very happy. :hmpf_bad:

I'm rooting for USA, Denmark, and Germany. I do have Brazil winning in my bracket, though. I absolutely despise the Brazilian team in general, but they are the best team.

Netherlands and Spain are my favourites, but I also like England :classic:

Portugal has always been my favourite team because my ancestors came from there, but I'd have to say the best team is Spain. Germany and Holland are teams I see could win also, but I don't see Brazil better than them. Spain is solid right throughout, from goalkeeper to forward.

medium.jpg

'Here we are again' (South Africa was once a Dutch Settlement during the 'Dutch East India Company' times ) :tongue:

It's obvious who I am supporting, but for those who still don't understand; The Netherlands, aka Holland.

My fondest - and also the saddest - memory with Netherlands/Holland football comes from 1995, when Grêmio (my own personal football love) played against Ajax in the World Championship. Even though Grêmio played with 10 guys most of the game, there was a draw. Then there were penalties, and van der Saar (the best goal keeper of the last 15-20 years IMHO) got one, and another shot didn't score (ironically the best Grêmio shooters lost their penalties). Ajax won.

But then, 3 years later, in the 1998 World Cup, the Netherlands faced Brazil in the semifinals I guess, and to my surprise, the Netherlands National Theme was... The very same that played against Grêmio! Knowing that my home team played against - to a draw - a National Team as strong as Holland made me very proud :D

I'll hail for Japan!

My father will be taking a vacation here next year!

What no Socceroos?

PS welcome to another Adelaidean. If you haven't seen the Aussie Sales thread, check it out here Aus sales

Edited by hewman

Pretty sleepy openning day, huh? Two draws and a scoreless game? Hmph.

I honestly think that Mexico should have won the first game, but there was that crappy offsides call. :hmpf_bad:

Good show by South Africa, though.

Mundial! :sweet: My favorite month every four years!

Pretty sleepy openning day, huh? Two draws and a scoreless game? Hmph.

The first match between South Africa and Mexico was OK I think. The only thing that I find very irritating is the issue with the vuvuzelas. Man, you can't even watch the game sometimes! It's like a swarm of bees coming right at you and that really bugs me. (no pun intented. :grin: )

Anyway, good luck to all the teams and always remember: Impossible is nothing. Long live the underdogs!

430_greece.jpg

Good luck to us today even if my expectations are low this year though. Vamos Greece!

It seemed as if the ball is not helping either: it seems lighter and it gives this strange effect while flying.

I like Mexico and I wanted it to win. I guess the draw was deserved, in the end.

I just bough 5 - 60"Inch England Flags plus its the Queen's birthday, Very English day! Huzzah!

I'm sorry, but Greece is the opposite of good at football/soccer. :sadnew:

And that France game was garbage, the S. Africa game was very good, and England vs USA today is going to be amazing! The unfortunate thing for me is that 2 of the 3 Dutch games are at 7:15 am and I have a Math exam one day, and a wedding to attend on the other :cry_sad: