Hinckley

Discussion: Why do you build Town?

In my 32 years of Lego-building, I've dabbled in just about every theme. My first sets were Space (Alpha 1 Rocket Base!!), then I moved into Town. Then the Castle theme got really cool, so I started collecting those. But then ... for whatever reason, I went back to Town when I was about 12, and I just stayed there.

In reading through this thread, and reading everyone's thoughts, I think Zorbas hit pretty close to home for me.

Another thing that made me a Town builder/collector/nutter was that I could have unlimited ideas- something like a chain. You build something and then you can build something else that can be used with the first and then something else for the second etc. For example, a cargo ship. Then it goes like this:

Cargo ship-harbor-crane-cargo train wagon-cargo station-truck-gas station-tanker truck etc. You get the picture.

During this chain, there are always smaller or larger additions and details included in the chain's rings as you progress.

That's what makes Town so simple and so seductive -- it's never stops. You can ALWAYS think of something to build to add onto your Town. And Lego, God bless 'em, keeps pumping out new sets. The concept of Town is completely open-ended, unlike the way that Lego designs and markets their Space and Castle themes. Space and Castle are now locked in this unfortunate pattern of short-lived "factions" that run for a year or two, then get thrown out in exchange for some new, shiny faction. That makes it hard to maintain your interest, and to invest a long-term pattern of building and expansion. If you liked those Crown knights from the past few years, too bad! They're gone! Space is the same way now too.

To be ohnest i do not know why I build town, I think it is because it has more playability and I can add many different items that make the theme/story. If I discover that my story requires an item I can then just build one

Great topic Hinkley! I'm always interested to hear folks' motivations in this hobby.

I build in town for a few reasons.

1-Wonder. I like to try and recreate -in myself and others- the feeling of wonder that I got when I built as a child and when I saw LEGO displays.

2-Fantasy. My town is a seaside village, and in a world that is so chaotic and violent, it's nice to be able to build something peacefull and idealistic. I try to build my town to inspire myself and others with the feeling of "I'd like to visit there".

3-Architecture and challenge. I'm not overly knowledgeable about architecture, but I like the challenge of fitting architectural details and concepts into the 16x16 base standard that I use for all my buildings.

4- Sharing. I really enjoy sharing my town with others through NILTC. I could build and display other themes, but Town seems to connect with people of all ages/genders/backgrounds.

I used to go back and forth between Town and other themes--Castle, Pirate, Space, one-off themes, etc. But I think that the reason I always came back to Town (and the reason I eventually stayed) is its expansiveness.

I also like the detailed day-to-day aspect about it; the challenge of trying to create something small and detailed that looks like its real-life counterpart.

Edited by Mariko

I like city/town, because I noticed that people who aren't into Lego generally like those MOCs the best, and give the most positive reaction to city/town MOCs.

I build Town because its realistic and you can make things the way you want them, you know your image of a perfect city town or anything else you make. (not that you couldnt do that already with lego) There is also a lot of inspiration.

[Hi

my reason for building town or rather landscape scenes is that it is limitless in the posible themes and that I can use the lauoyts in connection with the fellow members of Byggepladen the danish lug. We get together abut 3 times a year now for different types of exhibits. and also it is a great challenge to build something from daily life and bring out small situations "hidden" in the layout. and of cource the amount of inspiration form the city sets through time is enormous

The current layout is a campingground, sorry no pictures yet, but soon I think.

Best regards Henning M.

Simple question, simple answer: I build town because it's the most reality related theme, so inspiration is everywhere and everyday I can see new buildings, structures, vehicles... that give me fresh ideas for going on and on with my City/Town MOCs. There are infinite sub-themes possibilities too, so the creativity is simply endless. That's why i'm a Town-Boy! :sweet::tongue:

My answer is much the same as BlueBard's. I build town because it is realistic and I can get ideas from anywhere I travel. It's not to say I do not have any imagination, but to be able to build literally the town you live in, for example, is particularly awesome. :thumbup:

I like the bright colors of Classic Town with lots of red, blue, and yellow bricks

My thoughts exactly 'TheBrickster', Brightly Colored towns, with shiny walls and colorful roofs...

I don't think there is a toy in the world that lets you paint the walls red or the roof blue. Shutters and window panes that opened where such a beautiful functional feature that no town set seemed good without them. As a kid, most of us probably tried to make a replica of our own house with bedrooms and all. Having more than one city set made the town seem alive with little police and firefighters it was so much fun playing swat and rescue even during a time when He-Man and Transformers ruled.

I remember when I got my hands on my first train set back in the 80's the town really came to life. A running train had to have a station. The station employees had to have customers, the customers had to have city services, roads, police, emergency. They need food and repair shops. My bright and shiny little town knew no limits. I hit the dark ages in the 90's and came out of it when Santa Fe Super Chief hit the shelves. With better bricks and more "realistic" features I had to re-invest in the memories of my little town. My town started off small as I purchased production sets but as I added details like street lights and fire hydrants, i really wanted to take it to the next level because you really could get a very reallistic and happy looking city. Seeing smiling yellow faces in a brightly colored city really makes me happy!

I guess I just answered this, what city can you be happier than in your own Lego City?

My City

4170311755_cc7d68aa9d.jpg

^Wow, awesome town. I wouldn't mind seeing more pictures.

Sure! I'll create a new topic outside of this one.

I build town because I like to recreate real life in a smaller size. I can make my little world just the way I like it. It can grow with you.

I build town because I really, really, love trains....But a train going around a track is a little empty unless there is a passenger or freight station. How can you have a passenger station without an airport and some houses? How can you have a freight station without industry and places for the employees to commute to and from? How can people commute without a gas station & vehicles? Oh and there had better be fire and police stations, just in case...Well, you get the idea.

But for me, if there is no train running around the track, there is no real need for the rest.

An interesting thing about my Lego habits, however. Although I am blessed to have a fairly large collection, I have never been blessed with enough room to maintain a constant set-up (some would say display). When I build a layout, I always start by laying the train track and setting the train in motion. This may take up to an hour to get just the way I would like. Then, while the train is running round & round & round, I have been known to spend a week or more (if lucky) arranging & rearranging the town and creating new MOCs, loving every minute of it! Without the train though, I really have little motivation for the rest. Kinda weird, hunh?

Oh, by the way, it usually is all cleaned up and put away after a week or two. That's bad, because it is hard to "grow" a town as I would like. It's good because next time I get to enjoy the fun from scratch!

I collected a huge amount when I was a kid (late 70's through '86) I built mostly classic space and classic castle. My brother built town. Didn't build for several years for a bunch of reasons, but got everything out of mothballs in 1999. Got into 9v trains and wanted to build a "O" scale equivilant layout. After 10 years and several thousand dollars on ebay and lego.com later, I have finished a 20 foot by 15 foot room in my basement and have begun building the layout. I anticipate a long build time. The kids are old enough to help as well. My goal is a full fledged layout worthy of posting for everyone to see! I am new to the AFOL world, so I look forward to talking to everyone in the future. My only concern is that my MOCs will not be good enough to meld in with my Cafe Corner, Green Grocer and firehouse!!!! :tongue:

I loved building vehicles (especially service fleet trucks, like police, fire, construction, etc) when I was a kid, and I recently got back into them about a year ago.

As for me, building my own street/town started with the release

of the famous four: the Cafe Corner, Market street, Green Grocer

and the Fire Department. These sets made me realise how much

fun you're own place can be. And of course with the color palette

as we have it today, the freedom is yours.

Never before could we create buildings, street situations, vehicles

with this much detail in it. And let's face it: the more detail, the more the fun!

Therefore i really hope that more bricks will be produced in the future

in rare (sand) colors.

I just love it when i can loose myself for some hours in my town

especially after a hard day's work. It takes my mind of things really.

I look at my post office, and imagine how one of the packages could

be my next order from bricklink... If i glance at the local newspaper,

i wonder what the news could be that day...

And there's always the wish for more. More buildings, more vehicles,

more people, more fun. That's all there is to it, just fun!

Cheers!

JJ.

This is a great topic! I got a great nostalgic feeling as I remembered some of my fondest childhood lego memories. Everything from where and when I grew up, to the friends I had, all play a part in my cityscapes now...

I love lego trains and with trains come depots, cargo docks, workers, housing, municipal services and a multitude of intricate viginettes sculpting everyday life. I love modelling the everyday in new ways: Superman kisses Lois in a back alley, a couple of kids put antifreeze in an old jalopy, a dog stares up at a cat on a fire escape...

When I display my city I love to watch people's reactions. Everything from awe (friends, family) to disgust (brother-in-law) to wonder (every child who sees it). Their reactions, even the negative ones, fuel my desire to build. I am a lego narcissist, I suppose. I am by turns a great architect, a cool uncle, dad, and grandpa, and sometimes even an eccentric nut, but I created something. I inspired awe!

I live for the wistful look in the eyes of adult "children" who recognize pieces of their childhoods. As a teary-eyed friend once told me (with a police boat clutched in his trembling hands) "I thought I was the only adult fan of lego in the whole world."

This is a great topic!

Welcome, great that this topic made you sign up to Eurobricks. You may want to introduce yourself by starting a topic here.

disgust (brother-in-law)

How can you be disgusted by Lego? :wacko:

I live for the wistful look in the eyes of adult "children" who recognize pieces of their childhoods. As a teary-eyed friend once told me (with a police boat clutched in his trembling hands) "I thought I was the only adult fan of lego in the whole world."

:cry_happy:

I'm slowly getting into town, but mainly the CafeCorner series.

This is because I love the detail and the possibilites that I can use it for. I also love that particular line for it's older feel.

This is odd for me, as I spent my youth and my initial coming back to LEGO dedicated to Pirates :P

-Sir Norman "And I like the 1930's era" Ray.

When I was a kid in the 80s I always used to look at the pictures in the colour ad brochures that came with each set. I used to be obsessed with them and dream of one day creating my own. I wanted each and every model and make a lego town of my own, but bigger and better than all the pictures put together.

I still have that dream.

I think on the whole though I like Lego for the same reason I like airfix, DIY, Gardening, Astronomy etc. The simple reason that you can see the fruit of your labour and think "I did that, and it's awesome!" With work I'm constantly looking at the next thing I have to do, I never have that sense of something being finished, because the moment it is, there are a million and one other things that need doing.

I think it's also because when you're playing with Lego, you experience what Mihály Csíkszentmihályi described as a state of Flow. Flow is the mental state of operation in which the person is fully immersed in what he or she is doing by a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of the activity. So much so that they can loose almost all consciousness of anything else that is going on around them and time seems to pass extremely quickly.

As others have mentioned, Lego Town offers endless possibilities and it can always be improved, expanded, redeveloped. For me, that means endless times of feeling happy about what I've worked on, seeing what I've acheived, and being totally absorbed in the process.

I'm planning on starting to build my Lego town shortly. Just need some money and permission from my wife!

Maybe one day.

Mark