Sir Dillon

Castle Sets 2010

Man, every single site that had the pictures that was linked in this thread has them taken off. I feel like that awkward kid who comes late to lunch and all the seats are taken and everyone's already socializing. :cry_sad:

Does anyone have the pics saved?

Thanks for the pictures, bengun. I like the new helmet designs on the new dragon knights and the return of black helmets. On the other hand, the torso design for the lion faction reminds me of the royal knights.

I wonder if we will see more of the trolls and fantasy themed stuff. I wonder if Lego just decided to change the name from castle to Kingdoms because they were creating so many different factions and I wonder if Lego is just throwing in another human faction because a lot of the collectors were complaining that there was just one human faction when the 2007 castle theme premiered. So we may see more fantasy elements and factions in the near future. :classic:

The shift here reminds me of the 2009 Pirate line; a line that was at least in part targeted at AFOLs who were yearning for the return of classic Pirates. The goal seems similar here with conventional knights and armour including the often requested great helm. Shifting the line in a different direction isn't necessarily a bad idea either. The current Fantasy line seemed somewhat worn out after three years. This year's sets were hardly inspired and there are only so many Trolls and Dwarves one can collect before the excitement is gone. A new line with a different direction is a great way to get people interested in Castle again.

I think we'll see another fantasy line in the future. Moreover; a few years without fantasy folk will probably only serve to heighten interest in the theme when it inevitably returns at a later date.

The shift here reminds me of the 2009 Pirate line; a line that was at least in part targeted at AFOLs who were yearning for the return of classic Pirates.

Lego seems to go 'classic' with many themes indeed. The City Corner and Camper sets in the 2009 and the 'Smart' car in the 2010 City theme are examples of more 'civilian' sets that AFOLs also appreciate. Pirates is indeed a clear example, but you know what happened a year after the introduction... :tongue:

Lego seems to go 'classic' with many themes indeed. The City Corner and Camper sets in the 2009 and the 'Smart' car in the 2010 City theme are examples of more 'civilian' sets that AFOLs also appreciate. Pirates is indeed a clear example, but you know what happened a year after the introduction... :tongue:

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened again with Castle in 2010.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to have a 1 or 2 year line so long as the line is filled with quality sets. If anything, the Fantasy line burned out after the second year. This year's sets seemed more like filler than anything else. Pirate fans also had an amazing year considering the main line and the Imperial Flag Ship all came within the span of twelve months. LEGO's seeming ability to balance freshness with nostalgia has really impressed me in recent years.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened again with Castle in 2010.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to have a 1 or 2 year line so long as the line is filled with quality sets. If anything, the Fantasy line burned out after the second year. This year's sets seemed more like filler than anything else. Pirate fans also had an amazing year considering the main line and the Imperial Flag Ship all came within the span of twelve months. LEGO's seeming ability to balance freshness with nostalgia has really impressed me in recent years.

I agree with you 100%. It is right in the middle of the fantasy theme and then all of a sudden we find out about this new theme. I think that the current castle sets will be out for a little while and then we will see some more sets. I am not minding this too much though as the sets that Lego has been doing in the last few years have been quite good so, I doubt that Lego will be going through another dark age for a while at least.

Lego should base a whole castle themed-line on King Arthur. You have Camalot itself with the round table...Arthur (of course with Excalibur) and Guineverre, various Knights as Battle Packs plus a Lancelot set fighting Arthur over a bridge, Merlin's with an alchemist type lair, Morgan Le Fey,her minion, Modred and of course create a set, castle, etc were the Knights can find the Grail. Make the sets seem like to have to purchase each one to follow a storyline towards the Grail.

That could shake up the Castle theme a bit with something fresh and crossing historic/literature.

Lego should base a whole castle themed-line on King Arthur. You have Camalot itself with the round table...Arthur (of course with Excalibur) and Guineverre, various Knights as Battle Packs plus a Lancelot set fighting Arthur over a bridge, Merlin's with an alchemist type lair, Morgan Le Fey,her minion, Modred and of course create a set, castle, etc were the Knights can find the Grail. Make the sets seem like to have to purchase each one to follow a storyline towards the Grail.

That could shake up the Castle theme a bit with something fresh and crossing historic/literature.

I agree that a line of sets based on the legends of King Arthur could be very neat, but this thread is meant for discussing the Kingdoms sets coming out this year. Talking about other castle themed lines you would like to see would be better elsewhere, such as [here] or [here].

I would suspect that if TLG comes out with a medieval farm set it will be very hush hush like the medieval market village was. It would be a LEGO exclusive so no pictures could get leaked by online stores and such. Lego has become quite adept at keeping the AFOL's on their toes by saving the most wanted items for their exclusives. It also makes sense as these items are wanted more by AFOLs and not geared towards children at all. Hence no need to sell them in mainstream stores.

I agree with others that it was a good time to change direction in castle. 2009 did seem rather uninspired. I think it probable that the fantasy elements will be coming back in the future with renewed fervor.

I agree with others that it was a good time to change direction in castle. 2009 did seem rather uninspired. I think it probable that the fantasy elements will be coming back in the future with renewed fervor.

I think that they will come out with more fantasy themes. I would love to see some more dragons. The last ones were good but they weren't knarly enough for me. I would love for them to also come out with another vikings them with a ship that doesn't fall apart. A better sea serpant with a better viking ship would be really cool. :classic:

Not sure how I feel about mixing the new great helms and the old grill helms. May have to switch the new great helms out for visored helms.

Not sure how I feel about mixing the new great helms and the old grill helms. May have to switch the new great helms out for visored helms.

Why do we have to have grill helms at all. They look so stupid to me. Just have the great helm with the visors and the set would look awsome. Maby Lego will lisen to us since the sets are preliminary. :sceptic:

I find it odd that Lego are doing away with the fantasy themed sets (seemingly) and yet they create a set with a Wizard and Dragon! :P

Obviously a little fantasy is OK. There has been a bit of magic in the theme pretty steady since Majisto came to town. They have to keep the kids interested after all.

I wonder when they will be coming out with a large dragon in a castle set. As was said earlier you can't have all of these baby dragons without having a mama around. I hope it is dark green like the babies.

Edited by DaleDVM

I hope the castle fans here will get something out of this line, to me it looks rather ... simple. But better than 2009. And the castle might turn out to be better than the current one, who knows. Since there are no small sets with some black knights or an impulse, I might go for the advent calendar this time, to collect the minifigs. Battlepacks (if they'll be released) make me remember quality issues. And I guess the'll release some, hence the limited minifigs in the sets. Very limited.

Thanks for the info and pic links, thanks K-D for finding the Advent calendar!

Since there are no small sets with some black knights or an impulse, I might go for the advent calendar this time, to collect the minifigs.

Um, yes there is. The Knights' Showdown is the smallest set aside from the impulses, and it has two knights from the opposing factions with some war-gear for both of them.

I am quite happy with the new Castle line - a bit skeptic about the new helmets,

since my favorite ones are with the standard moveable visors,

but in general have no serious complaints.

Since I have sort of a horse barding fetish, the two new ones are very welcome :classic:.

This, next to the new printed horse from PoP series, is the best of what is to come (for me anyway) :wub:.

Years ago my brother got the yellow castle for Christmas one year and we played with it endlessly. After my "darkages" spell I've got back into Lego with Star Wars, Mars Mission and now Space Police as am a huge classic space fan etc. However, I have had my eye on the Kings Castle Seige recently and although that may be over/discontinued now and I think I've missed out on it, I think the time has come for me to relaunch back into Castle and I just hope the new range will have a great new castle set itself.

I really like the whole idea and am watching closely how it all unfolds....!

Do we know when these new sets will be available?

Edited by jamzee

The new helmets sorta bother me, but if they're too bad I'll do the switcharoo with the fantasy crownies helmets. 8D

Other then that, I'm totally hyped for the "Kingdoms"!

I've been wanting to comment on these new sets for so long, I'm so glad I have the chance to now! Considering the earliness of the images, I still feel confident in saying that this new line looks gorgeous! I cannot wait for these to be released! There isn't one of these sets that I don't like, I hope to get all of them! The departing from Fantasy style is too bad, but we can at least look back fondly on the last few years, and appreciate the new life that the Fantasy line breathed into Castle. Overall, I feel that this new line is more than a worthy successor.

I'm really anxious for better pictures of the new great helm, I have high hopes for that piece. Like others have mentioned, the early lack of the breastplate is disappointing, hopefully Lego will keep including that great piece. Also, I'd like to see the visor helmet continue. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't appear in this theme, but we'll see with more final pictures. I'm really digging the color scheme for the "bad guy" Dragon Knights in black, dark green, and gold. They look a lot cooler to me overall, much more so than those Lion Knight clowns in the red and white :laugh:. The one thing I hope Lego doesn't do is stereotype the faces too much. Too often the faces of the "bad guys" look unmistakably evil and mean, I would like it if they can make it a decent balance, because these Dragon Knights sure aren't going to be evil in my world! I think the way Lego did it with the Crown Knights would be a good pattern for both sides. But ultimately, the heads can always be swapped, so it's no biggie! I'm really excited for 7947 Prison Tower Rescue, I love the look of the architecture in the towers build, and hopefully that is a great new princess/maiden mini-fig in the prison cell. Anyway, here's hoping for clearer pictures soon!

Mac-K

Ah, looking at these pictures again makes me swoon. :wub::grin:

Really though, I truly can't wait to get my hands on these sets. They look amazing! So very cool...

~Peace

Edited by iamded