Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Claudius Rome

New Castle/Historical themes to replace the Fantasy theme.

Historical themes  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Which should replace Fanatasy

• Wild West
    • Romans or Greeks
    • Classic Castle style
    • Civilians
    • Villagers Vs. Raiders
    • Other
    • The fantasy theme isn't going to end
    • Cancel Castle, I want licenses like ben 10 and disney!

Well, generally speaking, Fantasy theme is over. And TLC said Castle is a recurring theme, so what do you think might replace it?

I would like Romans Or Greeks as a replacement, but I also like the idea of northern raiders attacking a village.

What do you want?

Edited by Emperor Claudius Rome

Nice poll dude. However, I don't think if they released Wild West again (That would be awesome) that they would remove the castle theme. It is probably a big part of lego. It probably brings in some good money for them, and they most likely wouldn't remove it.

I still think we'll see a year or two of the. current line... I'm guessing with some kind of elves/forestmen faction.

As for what follows it... I'd like to see a return to a more historical (Classic Castle) line with a few civilian sets thrown in. I doubt this will happen though.

I know there are folks who are hoping for a Vikings line, as well as people looking to see the return of the Wild West theme. That being said; neither of these themes is really castle. If what LEGO says is true and Castle is going to be a recurring theme, I very much doubt that we'll see Western or Roman LEGO as the next Castle line. It's akin to saying that Pirates is Castle as well.

I would love to see a Romans or Greeks line.

There could be great Minifigs and a lot of nice sets, like a Galley, Gladiators or a Roman military camp for example.

So i voted for Greek and Roman.

I voted Wild West because it's the theme I would most like to see out of those, but I don't believe it would ever replace castle.

Most of all, if they do a new Castle line, I'd like it to be compatible with the castle sets I already have. Like, not hugely different in aesthetic. I kind of like building worlds over time, like my City which gets more and more prosperous every year. Lego shouldn't underestimate the importance of continuity to long-term adult lego buyers.

Actually, talking about Romans, I'd love them to take up an Asterix license. Gaulish villages, Roman encampments, Caesar's palace, colosseums... They could even give them Toy Story-type heads and I wouldn't mind, actually I'd prefer them now I'm over the initial shock.

Edited by David Thomsen

I would love to see a Classical Theme and I would prefer it to be based on Rome. But I would even settle for a Generic Classical Theme and would not even mind a Fantasy element (as long as the Fantasy would not dominate the theme).

Actually, talking about Romans, I'd love them to take up an Asterix license. Gaulish villages, Roman encampments, Caesar's palace, colosseums... They could even give them Toy Story-type heads and I wouldn't mind, actually I'd prefer them now I'm over the initial shock.

I would not be happy to see Flesh Tone, or even worse Big Heads, in any Castle Theme! Especially a Roman based theme, because I presume many of the Torso and Legs would be inflicted with the dreaded Flesh Tone, making it impossible to deflesh them. The less said about Big Heads, the better.

I voted civilians. I really like having more torsos and/or headgears for civilians in a middle age setting. Highly unlikely, but it's just a poll.

I would like to ask though, how'd you know that the Fantasy theme is over? any big clues about it ending?

They could even give them Toy Story-type heads and I wouldn't mind, actually I'd prefer them now I'm over the initial shock.

I hope you're joking!! LOL :tongue: That would be horrible!!

Most of all, if they do a new Castle line, I'd like it to be compatible with the castle sets I already have. Like, not hugely different in aesthetic. I kind of like building worlds over time, like my City which gets more and more prosperous every year. Lego shouldn't underestimate the importance of continuity to long-term adult lego buyers.

Indeed. As a result, I have limited my lego purchases to the Castle theme. I might delve into City (wish they had a military theme to compliment city). But the rest I will mostly ignore since they keep on changing. So trying to get a nice collection would be difficult/expensive. I wanted to get more SPIII sets for the cool looking aliens, but it would be difficult to get more of them in future (like a big gang of aliens having shoot outs with the space police/each other/etc)

Classic, with more civilian elements please.

But I also consider Romans a realistic candidate. Western also may return one day as a one-year theme (like - for the moment - Pirates in 2009), maybe also at its twentieth birthday, which would mean a pretty long wait still... But I guess TLG always wants to have town, castle, and space in the shelves. So, I also don't think any of the other themes will replace castle.

Romans and Greeks just becasue it would be somethng we've never seen before and it'd be interesting.

Arent we waiting for the elves line at this moment??

Id love to see Roman and Greek as they have a lot of set options and would definitely add more diversity in current and past castle line.

Anything with new and varied villagers would be my first choice because they'd fit in with so many themes but after that I'd love to see Lego tackle the glory of Rome. They could tie that theme in with some pretty amazing exclussives.

That's a great and very interesting topic, EmperorClaudiusRome! :thumbup:

But: Please car a bit more about your topic descriptions in comparion to your descritions in your post:

1. "Villagers vs. Raiders" is too unprecise since these can be from every historical theme - you could find them in Castle (fantasy as well as non-fantasy), Western, Vikings, ... Please define what you exactly mean.

2. In the poll you ask "Which should replace Fantasy?" but offer the opportunity "Fantasy isn't over yet". So please name this option "I do not want that fantasy will end" since (according to your poll question) you only ask for a wish - and not for which is the most supposable.

3. In your description you write "what do you think might replace it?" - this is a different question in comparison to the topic question "Which should replace Fantasy?"

I do not want to make you angry - in contrary I find this topic very interesting - but please care about this since when we shall and want vote we have to know whether we should vote for what we want to replace Castle or what we think might replace Castle since this is a big difference. :wink:

Please clear that and then I'll vote - thank you very much. :classic:

For me there is a very clear answer:

Castle is one of the original themes (like City, Technic, Creator, Space and Pirates) which will never die as long as Lego sets are sold since it is simply much too popular.

The only thing which I could well imagine is that TLG will be going more classic in the Castle line like in City, too, meaning Castle sets getting more in style of the Caslte sets from 1980-2000. But firstly we already have seen some more classic styled buildings (sets really not!) like the tower in the Tower Raid set or the small gate with house in the Skeletton Ship Attack set. Nevertheless I think this is - not only for TLG - not classic enough. And so I even think that the Fantasy Area will end - at the latest next year.

After my theory there will then be one year without new Castle sets 1. in order to that the new Castle theme will get more attention and 2. in order to that another new historical theme can be introduced. But after one year break Castle will surely come back - I bet.

For a new additional historical set I think Western, Romans and Greeks are the most supposably.

I personally would like the most to get Western as a new additional historical theme. Romans would be my second vote, Egypts my third.

As a new Castle theme I would like to see a more Classic Castle style theme.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

whatever it is, I hope its more buildings and less siege engines. Well less technic. Siege engines are fine if they are mostly bricks, but they always depend on technic (probably cheaper since those bricks are hollow).

I think it is too early to say the Fantasy theme is over. It's possible, but we haven't heard anything official besides that Elves won't be available next year.

As nice as a "Classic Castle Style" theme sounds, I don't think it's likely, and am not sure how appealing it would be to today's consumers. I imagine many kids would find it boring.

For a possible new castle theme, I would like to see something a little more historically accurate, perhaps along the lines of a struggle between the authorities and a band of criminals. It would still be focused on conflict, but different than the open warfare type of themes we've gotten previously.

I voted for Wild West but then I realised that I'd get much more LEGO if they switched to Romands/Greeks and re-released Wild West anyway to make two themes.

I voted for a Roman/Greek theme. It's rich in Mythology, most a which would look great in LEGO sets.

I orgionally wanted to vote for the countinuation of the current theme, but I started wondering how far it could really go. A Civilian theme would be great, though quite unlikely.

You suggest that Roman's and Greeks's would be a replacement, however I disagree with you. First of the Castle theme is called CASTLE and the middle ages were around 500-1500 and the medieval period was 1000-1500. Roman's and Greek's period was about 500BC-400AD, so your way of thinking historicly is not really correct. However TLC could release a similar faction or something like they did with the Vikings sets. Although I do not think that they would take away that medieval style Castle Theme. :classic:

I think it's very likely that the current Fantasy theme is ending and that we are getting a new human vs. human castle theme :grin:

Romans or Greeks would be nice but I don't think we will see that in the nearest years.