Elves?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you want them?

• I have to have them
    • I'd buy them, but...
    • I'm not interested in any more fantasy stuff
    • Depends on the sets

I've got some bad news.

This weekend at Brickworld 2009 Steve Witt (Community Relations Coordinator for the LEGO Group) anounced that there were no plans for elves. It was said in front of 500+ AFOL's at a Q&A session following his opening adress and he additionally stated that the appearance of elves in promotional materiel had simply been an artists need to fill in some space.

Sorry.

I wasn't too interested in Elves, but somehow this makes me want them more.

But whyyyyyy? :cry_sad:

Damn, why did I get my hopes up... :hmpf_bad: Where's that ambassador of ours, I need to send some serious feedback now.

I'm one of the (at this point) 8 people who voted for no more fantasy stuff. Just not my cup of tea. :sweet:

But whyyyyyy? :cry_sad:

Damn, why did I get my hopes up... :hmpf_bad: Where's that ambassador of ours, I need to send some serious feedback now.

Why am I smiling on the inside :tongue: .

In all seriousness, I'm sorry that the fantasy fans aren't getting their wish for elves. It's not a line I was interested in but if these forums are any indicator, there is definitely a serious interest in such a line amongst AFOLs. I still hope that Castle moves forward in 2010 though. It seems we've seen a decline in the number of Castle sets this year. I just can't imagine another year without LEGO Castle sets.

Note For Artists at TLC:

Don't fill some space on promotional material in with cool pics of a faction you won't go release soon.

Pity they won't release them, but then I will hope for new civilian or forestmen alike sets.

I've got some bad news.

This weekend at Brickworld 2009 Steve Witt (Community Relations Coordinator for the LEGO Group) anounced that there were no plans for elves. It was said in front of 500+ AFOL's at a Q&A session following his opening adress and he additionally stated that the appearance of elves in promotional materiel had simply been an artists need to fill in some space.

Sorry.

Maybe he said that to throw off the hounds... Or maybe, we'll get something else related to elves, but which doesn't necessarily include elves.

Maybe he said that to throw off the hounds... Or maybe, we'll get something else related to elves, but which doesn't necessarily include elves.

He did say it was just an artist filling in space, but I have to ask, what would be "related to elves, but which doesn't necessarily include elves." ? :laugh:

I guess I would like to have elves and I would buy them but I am getting tired of all this magic stuff.

What happened to the good old days when it was knights V.S knights or soldiers V.S soldiers.

I'm not saying that I hate magical stuff (Dragons, trolls, undead skeletons ect.).

I guess what I am trying to say is that I am tired of the castle themes we have had in the past 7 years and would like a big army V.S army theme.

All what I have had is Knights Kingdom II and Castle cents I got into Lego. I want something new.

Haha, show me one Castle-themed building that is "historically accurate"! All the sets and factions so far have been imaginary, the new factions just add a little twist to it all.

Many sets from the early '80s were pretty realistic. And more recently, the medieval market village is as realistic as I could possibly hope for. Though in between it's been mostly silly junk.

I've got some bad news.

Sorry.

This is true, I'm the one who asked Steve. After the ceremony, I got Steve on the side and explained the situation here on the forums. He said it was ok to quote him on his statements about elves or any thing else he might have said.

So to say again, Lego's North American office says "No elves, and there never will be."

(I also posted this in the other elves thread it this forum)

Ahab out.................................

I guess I would like to have elves and I would buy them but I am getting tired of all this magic stuff.

What happened to the good old days when it was knights V.S knights or soldiers V.S soldiers.

I'm not saying that I hate magical stuff (Dragons, trolls, undead skeletons ect.).

I guess what I am trying to say is that I am tired of the castle themes we have had in the past 7 years and would like a big army V.S army theme.

All what I have had is Knights Kingdom II and Castle cents I got into Lego. I want something new.

Many sets from the early '80s were pretty realistic. And more recently, the medieval market village is as realistic as I could possibly hope for. Though in between it's been mostly silly junk.

I'm one of the 8 people here who voted no more magic stuff. Please.....

I too am hoping for another "less unrealistic" :tongue: human faction.

After that I don't care if they release elves, smurfs, (garden) gnomes, or pink Cinderella Disney castle sets.

No pink Disney castles you say? There is a liscense... :sceptic:

Edited by Teddy

So to say again, Lego's North American office says "No elves, and there never will be."

I'm taking the "never" to mean: "never as part of the current fantasy theme". I hope Lego will still be around in 100 years, and I wouldn't find it unreasonable if they'd changed their mind by then.

This is true, I'm the one who asked Steve. After the ceremony, I got Steve on the side and explained the situation here on the forums. He said it was ok to quote him on his statements about elves or any thing else he might have said.

Thanks for the confirmation. I heard you say it , but I didn't know who you were. There's got to be some way to let everyone meet everyone else from EB at the next Brickworld.

Forestmen...

sb_9.jpg

(Just to add that topic (pic is link) back into the equation...)

I saw the picture, but I'm not sure what bearing it has on the topic at hand. That's a forestman, this is a topic about elves. It's a cool pic, but it doesn't have a place in the elves equation.

I recognize the fact that alot of folks want elves. I agree with them in that elves would be a great addition to the castle line. However, the straws some people are grasping at to try and convince themselves that elves are coming just over the horizon is getting pretty rediculous.

As to the comments about Steve Witt's statement. I'm sure we've been mislead before, (anyone remember "LEGO does not produce war toys", a few years before INDY) but I don't think that we've been lied to in the way that folks are suggesting.

Edited by Eilif

I saw the picture, but I'm not sure what bearing it has on the topic at hand. That's a forestman, this is a topic about elves. It's a cool pic, but it doesn't have a place in the elves equation.

The style that was employed in the Forestmen theme was very similar to that being anticipated in elf sets, and there were, particularly in the other thread, people saying they would like, or were anticipating, Forestmen, if not elves, which could be easily adapted. :wink: (I had originally intended to post it in the other thread, but Dil closed it, and the gist is roughly the same in both threads)

Heck, did anyone ask about forestmen?

I have to say, this is terrible news indeed regarding the lack of elves in Castle. I wonder why TLC has no plans to release or even brainstorm an elven faction? Surely, in the interest of making more money, they could consider the idea. I and many other AFOLs would buy every single one of any elf sets TLC would make. I am really upset by this news and hope that TLC comes to the senses they have so obviously taken leave of.

As to the comments about Steve Witt's statement. I'm sure we've been mislead before, (anyone remember "LEGO does not produce war toys", a few years before INDY) but I don't think that we've been lied to in the way that folks are suggesting.

I think the two statements are quite separate. I don't really see that Indy is a contradiction to the war toys statement. Conflict has existed in LEGO for far longer than the Indy licence, and the Indy nazis aren't really that different than your standard pirate red coat in terms of historical accuracy. The Indiana Jones theme may have generic soldiers in some of the sets, but I don't really see an overreaching military theme within the line.

The thing that surprised me is that Steve's statement is so blunt. I can't imagine a company representative being so direct on a non-politically charged topic only for it to turn out to be an outright lie. My guess is that while Elves may appeal to several AFOLs, there may not be the same demand for the fairy folk from children. As AFOLs we sometimes forget that this product is still targeted at a younger audience. With trolls, skelies, knights and dwarves would children really gravitate towards an Elf-focused product line? I get the distinct feeling that this is something LEGO has probably already looked into.

Oh well; forestmen for 2010 :tongue: .

Recently my love for lego castle has slowly vanished but two new factions would definitely interest me. I've always liked elves :classic:

I would have to have them, I've been waiting for Elves for many moons now. Although, we could use some goblins...

I think they might actually do it, eventually. If they know allot of people want 'em, they'll make 'em, because they'll get money. As long as somebody makes some noise about it, we probably will have them in the next few years. Or so I hope...

I am not surprised that Lego hasn't pursued the Elves. If they were going to, this year probably would have been the year to do it. With only 3 new Castle sets released this year, it appears that the theme is slowing down significantly and by next year or the year after won't exist.

I am not surprised that Lego hasn't pursued the Elves. If they were going to, this year probably would have been the year to do it. With only 3 new Castle sets released this year, it appears that the theme is slowing down significantly and by next year or the year after won't exist.

Pfft, humbug! :tongue:

Castle is just taking a breather this year. I seriously doubt it's going anywhere! Sure, there might be new factions, they might even drop the fantasy elements out of it (which I hope won't happen), but I just don't see them ever giving up on producing more Castle sets.

Pfft, humbug! :tongue:

Castle is just taking a breather this year. I seriously doubt it's going anywhere! Sure, there might be new factions, they might even drop the fantasy elements out of it (which I hope won't happen), but I just don't see them ever giving up on producing more Castle sets.

I think SWMAN is right, but in a few years later I assume it will be back. I don't think it can last forever, there used to be much more sets coming out.

SO maybe we should make topic: If not elves, what will be new fraction?

Demons? Barbarians? Dragonpeople? Or maybe The Hinckleys? :tongue:

I so wanted Elves on Hypogryphs.... :cry_sad:

It's possible, but I just don't see LEGO dropping the Castle theme anytime soon. I expect that the line may be significantly different in the next few years, but it's been a reoccuring theme for a long time and historically seems to have done pretty well with fans. Alot of themes tend to slow down a bit every few years. I suspect it has more to do with the fact that many buyers haven't purchased some of the earlier sets (King's Castle Seige, etc.) which would in turn canibalize the sale of newer sets.

Also, while nothing new has been anounced for Castle for 2010; the Castle line has been a summer line these past few years. It's very possible that we won't hear anything concrete until the winter holidays.