Sign in to follow this  
The Chronicler

Why havent they resurrected the robin hood series?

Hi, I love the recent castle set, but something bugs me with all these sets they are realising... Why havent they moved towards the Robin Hood Sets for revamp? Funny thing is, The Hunchback and The Villagers have the simular minifig design, and well if you look at that and then the robin hood sets surely logically the next step would be to have Robin hood... could be cool, think about it...

Lego sets...

The Monistary

> Featuring Fryer Tuck, Maid Marrion

Sherwood Forest

> Featuring Robin Hood, Little John, Will Scarlet, Much, Azem

Robinhood? You mean forestmen? That was a great theme. I dont think we will be seeing new forestmen sets for a while :sceptic:

I'd love to see them return, but I've heard that the molds used to make the hats are no longer available and would need to be remade in order to bring the classic line back. That's expensive, and probably not something they would be in a hurry to do. It's a shame, they would sell very well, I bet.

I dont think we will be seeing new forestmen sets for a while :sceptic:

I stated my reason for doubting they will return, do you have one or is this just speculation?

I stated my reason for doubting they will return, do you have one or is this just speculation?

You gave the signature hat reason and the fact that they are more of a plain theme and the modern themes involve fantasy and darker things.

I have a feeling we won't be seeing these. The current Castle theme is more of a Fantasy line, where the classic castle was more historically accurate. Robin Hood doesn't really belong in a fantasy theme.

I really wish they'd resurrect the Forestmen theme too, but I really don't think it's likely. :thumbdown:

Edited by daxflame680

I don't believe that they will bring back the forestman LEGO. They might bring us elves, which will look like forestmen. I don't think the current generation of kids knows who Robin Hood is. So it's unlikely that they will bring that theme back!

The current Castle theme is more of a Fantasy line, where the classic castle was more historically accurate. Robin Hood doesn't really belong in a fantasy theme.

I think 'Robin Hood' is a fantasy character! But you are right, it is not 'Fantasy' to the same extent as a 'Troll or Warrior Skeleton'. Whilst outlaws did live in the British Forests at this period in time, they are unlikely to have been the 'noble outlaw', which the legends create, more like 'very dark and dangerous robber baron'. Who may well have given a very small share of booty to the poor if he thought it might help concealment and avoid betrayal to feudal authority (i suppose the tactic cocaine barons use with great effect today in south america).

I would love to see these characters back in Lego though!

In 1996 there were some Dark Forest sets released, a sort of Forestmen theme. But there were only three sets, and I think these were very rare, at least in Europe. I never saw them, I discovered them at Peeron. But why did LEGO not continue this line, and did they only release three sets?

In 1996 there were some Dark Forest sets released, a sort of Forestmen theme. But there were only three sets, and I think these were very rare, at least in Europe. I never saw them, I discovered them at Peeron. But why did LEGO not continue this line, and did they only release three sets?

I am guessing that they were currently working on a new theme and decided to end it. By this point, Classic Castle was almost at an end, and those sets were just about it.

Think of all the new designs for head-wear in the upcoming sets. Surely it would be worthwhile to redo the forestmen hats and bring them out in the Elves faction (I hope) sets...

Forestmen was one of my favorite subthemes, even if I was only able to grab one of the smaller sets. Bringing back the line would be awesome, but as others have mentioned I'm not sure if they are "exciting" enough for the regular kid out there. :hmpf_bad:

Robin Hood isn't Fantasy, he really existed. :wink:

So does Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. :tongue:

Robin Hood

That's a great and very interesting topic, The Chronicler! :thumbup:

I really :wub::wub: the forestmen theme!

It was a great theme with excellent minifigs and awesome locations! :oh:

Regrettably I do only own the headquarters and the treehouse - but the forestmen sets are that expensive to buy (even when they are already used). :sad:

I'd love to see them return, but I've heard that the molds used to make the hats are no longer available and would need to be remade in order to bring the classic line back. That's expensive, and probably not something they would be in a hurry to do. It's a shame, they would sell very well, I bet.

I partly agree with you, ImperialShadows.

Of course returning the old mold for the forestman's hat would be quite expensive. But:

If TLG really wanted to release a new forestmen theme they could return the old mold - even when it is expensive (so the sets then have to be a bit more expensive, too, but nobody would complain to pay a bit more for some Castle sets which include these awesome forestmen).

If TLG really wanted to release a new forestmen theme why do they have to return the old mold but not make a new one?! There was a new Western hat mold created for the IJ and Farm themes - so why shouldn't be there a new mold for a forestman's hat, too?!

I liked the Robin hood series, especially treehouses idea, but dont worry, we will get( hopefully) Elves next year!

I agree with you, Lordofdragonss.

If TLG releases an Elves theme (which is very supposably next year) then they surely will include some sort of trees, treehouses, ...

But for someone who really liked Classic Castle and Forestmen and who doesn't like the current "Castle" theme (me included) this is no solution! :angry:

I don't believe that they will bring back the forestman LEGO. They might bring us elves, which will look like forestmen. I don't think the current generation of kids knows who Robin Hood is. So it's unlikely that they will bring that theme back!

I partly agree with you, badboytje88.

I, too, regrettably don't see it happen. And the next years it's really excluded. But who knows in which direction TLG will go with the Castle theme after they have been releasing the Elves subtheme?! I mean: After Elves there could be a stop of the ugly fantasy erea for Castle. And this might be the chance to get some more classic sets and so perhaps even some forestmen sets.

Nobody thought that TLG will offer us a medieval civilian set in the next years - but TLG surprised us with the awesome 10193 Medieval Market Village. So you can never no - perhaps TLG will even surprise us with some new forestmen sets in five years. :wink: But before that I regrettably don't see it happen, too. :cry_sad:

But I really don't think that kids wouldn't like a new forestmen theme.

It's right that many of today's kids aren't familiar with fairy tales, legends and other to the most of us AFOLs known stories because of the bad dominance of video games and computer games and even because many parents don't care that much about their children. But even if they don't know who Robin Hood is that does not mean that they wouldn't like a new forestmen set:

The forestmen theme is no theme which is a licensed theme. So you do not neccessarily have to know the stories around Robin Hood in order to have fun to play with these sets. :wink:

Forestmen on their own would be problematic, that's right. But TLG could add this self-explaining character to these sets like they do in the current "Castle" theme: e. g. forestmen against the king's soldiers. And then the kids themselves can decide who is the bad and who is the good. :wink:

There would be plenty of ideas for sets which could include this conflict - to mention only two:

-hold-up on the king's carriage (big tree with forestmen jumping down and hold up the king's carriage with the treasure)

-attack on the forestmen's headquarter (forestmen's headquarter which is attacked by the king's soldiers with one of their catapults)

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I fyou have noticed Lego have brought back standard peasents in Medieval marketplace this could be a step forward in new minifigs so maybe the forestmen will come back. :classic:

CDC, there is no need for you to use such large text. I've reduced the text size and deleted most of your exclamation points.

i was kind of expecting something like that, although i dont know whats the purpose of different sizes ot text then :sceptic:

Nevermind.

Ontopic. I think kids nowadays actually still know who robin hood was, but even if they dont, i think this could really sell well. :knight:

And dont forget that theres a new big money version of Robin Hood coming out at the cinemas soon. Its being made by Ridley Scot and starring Russel Crowe. If its as good as gladiator, then robin hood is gonna be popular again and back in the limelight for a while.

And dont forget that theres a new big money version of Robin Hood coming out at the cinemas soon. Its being made by Ridley Scot and starring Russel Crowe. If its as good as gladiator, then robin hood is gonna be popular again and back in the limelight for a while.

That's a very good point! After all, the Lego dwarves/skeletons/trolls trailed a couple of years after the Lord of the Rings films raised kids' awareness of the "motif". While I don't expect Ridley Scott's Robin Hood to be terribly kid-friendly, I'm going to cross my fingers that Lego do seize the opportunity!

Even if all we get is another civilian-themed set like the MMV with new Robin Hood caps, I'd be happy! :grin:

Why would they remake old forestmen sets? Regardless of how mant people like that particular line, I strongly doubt that they will remake these sets. I like the forestmen faction and have collected at least 30 of them in the past 4 years (yup the $$$ add up before you know it) . However, insted of remaking the forestmen line, the rumor says that we should see the new Elf line very soon. Personally, I'd much rather have the new elfs then old forestmen line.

i hope we get elves instead, as it is something we haven't had before. though i must say, after purchasing some forestmen caps off of bricklink and really loving them, i'd really love to see a resurrection of the theme as well. or at least include a few in some new sets for minifig variety