Shhh! Actually we're planning on doing this but we we're hoping to have a skin made first. I'll look into moving it along.... Shhh!

WHAT, WHAT DID YOU SAY, CAN YOU SAY IT LOUDER? :tongue: ? A new techic forum, hmm, not such a big deal to me but I like the sound of it. I hope those who do like techinic should enjoy this.

Shhh! Actually we're planning on doing this but we were hoping to have a skin made first. I'll look into moving it along.... Shhh!

Great news, I look forward to seeing it. :sweet:

So this! won't be of any use to you then? :tongue:

Actually, I really like that blog and visit it often.

If there were to be a Technic/Mindstorms forum, I may have to build some of the sets I got boxed, and post some picture reviews.

Front

Can't wait till these new sets are released. Also a new Technic Forum would be great. This current one is too cluttered up with non-Lego related items, like drawings and stories.

It's got me wondering as well. And the front view of the Crane Truck in that BS folder shows each front stabilizer in a different position (no help at all). But the simple action of extending the yellow beam horizontally outward doesnt appear to move the gear or the vertical parts of the stabilizer.

Hopefully we're missing something... similar to previous posts comparing the steering of the 8421, if these stabilizers are overly simplified compared to the 8421, then weak sauce TLG.

Alittle late, but i have some thoughts on the stabalizers as well.

First, i'd agree that the end portions on the front stabalizers are manualy controlled, as evedent by the gear used as a "crank". BUt i'm not so sure about the rear. I can't see a good pic and am thinking they might automacticly go down when they reach full extension. Again, this is just speculation, but the hieght of the rear ones make me thing this is possible.

As for those panels, I don't like them at all to be honest. They don't really do anything that can't already be done using existing pieces, and seem to be there just for TLG to save costs by including fewer studless beams. The best solution would be if they actually started making Technic sets with studs again, and built those sections with standard bricks.

Of course, the panels won't be preventing me from buying sets that are otherwise great.

I think every part has its place. While yes, studded bricks or even a combination of studless bricks could have done the job just fine, i think this is an example of where its just a bit more athsteticly pleasing. Not that i'd mind more studded bricks in techinc sets. :classic:

I use a mix of both building styles too, and would like to see that in official sets instead of the 100% studless style TLG has adopted these days. The strength and weight advantages of studless parts largely become negated if they are used exclusively, and not together with studded parts. 100% studless MOCs also tend to be harder and less intuitive to build, forcing you to spend more time thinking of structural issues instead of the mechanics, which is why most Technic MOCs even today are largely studded. I think they had the best balance when the studless style was first introduced in the late 90s, with sets like 8437 or 8446.

Fully non-studded models do have there advantages. Actually, there inherate strenth disadvantage can actually serve a purpose if said model doesn't have suspention. Chassis itself is the suspention in a matter of speaking. Now this doens't really make a difference if the model is intended for display only, but if it is intended for play, or for demenstrations, it can have benifits.

That said, i still preffer a fully studded frame (like in 8868) than studless as i preffer to use real suspention in my techinc mocs whenever possible.

Fully non-studded models do have there advantages. Actually, there inherate strenth disadvantage can actually serve a purpose if said model doesn't have suspention. Chassis itself is the suspention in a matter of speaking. Now this doens't really make a difference if the model is intended for display only, but if it is intended for play, or for demenstrations, it can have benifits.

That said, i still preffer a fully studded frame (like in 8868) than studless as i preffer to use real suspention in my techinc mocs whenever possible.

I never thought of it that way, but I don't think it's really a good thing to have that. That "suspension" comes from the pin connections flexing because they aren't strong and rigid enough. :tongue: This is especially bad for Technic models since you want to make sure that axle holes in the model don't get misaligned and create friction in geartrains and other mechanisms.

You know this pisses me off. :angry: We get detailed pics of techinc sets, but yet a stupid starwars impulse set comes out

What's you malfunction? :tongue:

It's not an impulse, it's a Brickmaster set :laugh:

Now that Technic has been parted from Bionicle I am sure such a thing would never happen again.

What do you mean by Flagship?

The biggest (and hopefully best) one of the year.

Are there going to be pics on the first page like in the other 09 set threads?

This is definately my fave technic set this year and the only one I'll buy. Good way to get cheap treads :thumbup:

p1050693.jpg

Might get it tomorrow :cry_happy: Are there any reviews on it? :look:

Might get it tomorrow :cry_happy: Are there any reviews on it? :look:

I haven't seen a review, but I do have several copies of this set. It is VERY well done, especially for a set this size. Worth the money just for the treads. Maybe I should do a review .....

That bulldozer is one of my favorite Technic sets among that size and scale. I got a couple of them for the treads too.

Is there a specific release date for the Summer sets? Or do they appear whenever Lego feel like it between June and August?

Is there a specific release date for the Summer sets? Or do they appear whenever Lego feel like it between June and August?

I think it's sort of a combination of both. Lego says August, but when their desired start quantity of available sets is ready to be shipped to the dealers, why not start early with the sale? Personally I hope for an early introduction of 8258, half July I will be visiting Legoland Billund, hope they have it in stock there by then...

Oh I want the first two. I'm at Legoland at somewhere in the middle of July. Sounds like it'll be out after I come home. Maybe that's a good thing. No way I could fit that in my bag to take home. :)

According to amazon (which isn't always accurate in pricing) heres what the prices are in Euros and a USD approximation...

8258 - 152,70 Euro or 160 USD

8263 - 42,90 Euro or 50 USD

8265 - 86,00 Euro or 90 USD

My local toysrus seems to be clearing its shelves leaving them quite bare...if past experience applies then I can be expecting at least the snow groomer and front end loader by the end of may or beginning of June - there always seem to release them earlier.

Edited by LordGalewind

8258 - 152,70 Euro or 160 USD

8263 - 42,90 Euro or 50 USD

8265 - 86,00 Euro or 90 USD

Thanks! I was hoping 8265 would be cheaper but still it would be worth 90 USD. There is no way I'm getting myself a 8258 though :(

8258 is quite expensive considering it only has one motor. That was initially looking like the best model to me, but I might wait until the price falls a bit, especially if the stabilizer design turns out to be crappy as was discussed earlier in the thread.

I like 8263 because it's a concept that TLG hasn't done yet, although it's not clear what functions it has.

8265 looks nice enough, but I already have two of the older 8459/8464 sets and it looks like it has the same functionality as that model, despite being larger.

And just a warning for Canada at least, 8258 the larger truck won't be available at most retailers. Seems to be a shop@home exclusive probably.

NICE SET!