Posted (edited)

So, we now know that the next 4x4 set will be the 42177 MercDees G500 4X4

Releasing August 1st for $250 and the set contains 2891 pieces.

This thread is probably going to be quite long so I didnt append it to the '2024 technic set disgussion thread'

800px-Mercedes-Benz_G_4x4-2_-_prawy_bok_

Here are my speculations as to what it will have:

• A 4 speed gearbox using the new gearbox parts from set 42159
  • A fake V8 engine using the new parts from set 42170
  • Differentials from set 42143 (because its 4x4 :P)
  • Maybe a center differental
  • Working steering with HOG
  • Working suspension
  • Portal hubs or planetary hubs (the real car has portal gear axles)
  • Maybe a winch. maybe not.

-----Even better would be:-----

• 7 speed gearbox, 3 lockable differentials
  • Adjustable ride height
  • Flappy paddle gearbox
  • Fake disc brakes

I think the color will be black or neon yellow but it is unconfirmed so far.

Go nuts! (And it looks like 2h 2024 will be good!)

Edited by SNIPE
fixed typos

How it will different from similar Land Rover set?

Posted (edited)

If it's electric yellow I'm buying it day one! 

It definitely needs some type of portal axles and hopefully a new five-spoke rim design.

Edited by therealjustin

3 hours ago, therealjustin said:

If it's electric yellow I'm buying it day one! 

It definitely needs some type of portal axles and hopefully a new five-spoke rim design.

Neon yellow (like details on Airbus) is possible; new portal axle? It would be nice to have more narrow portal axles.

The portal hub, which had not been released for 3 years since 2021, suddenly appeared in 42180. Considering that the hub of that model was empty with no gears inside and can be replaced with other parts, it appears to have been used in the process. While bring back portal hub for this model.

Neon Yellow is an awful color. I dont know how it appears in your settings, but in normal condition in my room, that color looks like a dull old rusted yellow.

I think this set will use normal yellow and the printed black on yellow wheel arch from the Volvo.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, SNIPE said:

42177 Mercedes G500 4X4

10 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Portal hubs or planetary hubs (the real car has portal gear axles)

i predict planetary hubs, because actually only the AMG G63 4x4² has portal axles. The G500 4x4² is not longer produced.

Edited by efferman

This could be amazing if they made it with portal axles, but only the 4x4² has them, not the regular one. The regular one has independent front suspension, live axle rear, and locking central and rear differentials. Maybe we get those plus a gearbox using the new parts. Surely a fake V8 with the new small pistons. That's the most likely I guess.

If the color was neon yellow, which I could imagine, and could look cool in itself, then we'd end up with another highly incomplete color, just as in the case of the Land Rover.. Nothing else produced in olive green since then.

3 hours ago, msk6003 said:

The portal hub, which had not been released for 3 years since 2021, suddenly appeared in 42180. Considering that the hub of that model was empty with no gears inside and can be replaced with other parts, it appears to have been used in the process. While bring back portal hub for this model.

I would highly doubt that. That portal hub piece is huge and would not fit into this scale (assuming it's the same as Land Rover). Have you ever tried building with those portal hubs? They result in horrible axle geometry. They don't even fit inside the defender rims, which would be too big/wide for this model anyway. And they result in a really bad scrub radius, by which the wheels would surely get stuck in the fenders. I am hoping that they used the planetary in 42180 to clear out the existing stock. Other than that, it's just for the looks, to make the model lifted.

To make this model with portal hubs, they'd have to design new ones, which would be great, but really hard as some compromises would have to be made. Something like the one on the right of this picture would fit into the Defender rims and would give good scrub radius.

800x600.png

But those wheels would be still too big I think. Another route that could be done is making deeper medium sized rims. Then, a smaller portal hub that has a 8:16 gear ratio and only 1.5 stud height difference could fit into such a size (or some single piece hub design in that size). With Audi tires, that could look good on this. But that sounds like too much / too specialized to ask for.

1 hour ago, efferman said:

i predict planetary hubs

Why would a manual model have planetary hubs? That has a lot of friction when driven backwards, which would be quite bad for play, especially if the model had a gearbox too.

I'd simply guess Audi hubs in this.

3 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I think this set will use normal yellow and the printed black on yellow wheel arch from the Volvo.

I'm afraid of that too, or a recolor of that. But this model would deserve some proper, angular, better scaled fenders. Those huge/wide fenders screwed the looks of the Defender.

16 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Audi hubs 

Audi hubs also only makes sense for a RC model.

Would be a nice successor to the 42110, as it's now 5 years since it was introduced.

Hopefully we don't get just another chassis on the same suspension, just with a updated gearbox, but also other wheels (audi wheels would be cool, but maybe look too offroadie, as most G500 are more street-stylish.... sadly.

And please TLG: NOT BLACK AGAIN!

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Audi hubs also only makes sense for a RC model.

I think that one makes sense for manual model as well, because it has better steering angle than old (those are somewhat limited) ones and it does not generate extra friction when driven backwards (model pushed around). For the rear live axle it does not make much sense though, it would be quite cumbersome to integrate. Plain non-steered hubs would make more sense there.

Edited by gyenesvi

I expect it to have more or less similar functionality as the Defender, hopefully with the new gearbox and engine parts to run smoother. Since it's a 4 seater, it will probably be the biggest and heaviest 1:10 model so far, so I expect the 9L hard shock absorbers in all 4 corners.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gyenesvi said:

That has a lot of friction when driven backwards

Good point, iam thinking to much in RC compatibility, and a G has to be offroad capable.

9 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

so I expect the 9L hard shock absorbers in all 4 corners.

Four of them are probably to hard for a 2900 piece model, but with the size you are right.

Edited by efferman

23 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

I expect it to have more or less similar functionality as the Defender, hopefully with the new gearbox and engine parts to run smoother. Since it's a 4 seater, it will probably be the biggest and heaviest 1:10 model so far, so I expect the 9L hard shock absorbers in all 4 corners.

Maybee engine parts from Kawasaki?

1 hour ago, Zerobricks said:

so I expect the 9L hard shock absorbers in all 4 corners.

That would be nice to have, but why do you think that's necessary? I think lego moved away from those shocks, and tries to get away with small ones. Why could it not be the same like on the Defender at the front? Also, on the rear, a live axle could easily be done with single hard small ones. In a live axle, there's less leverage on the springs than in an independent suspension. In my Jeep Wrangler build in the same scale, even the single hard ones were a bit too hard, and that was RC model, so heavier.

1 hour ago, efferman said:

a G has to be offroad capable.

The Zetros should have been offroad capable as well, so that's not a problem for Lego when it comes to suspension, unfortunately..

47 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Maybee engine parts from Kawasaki?

Yeah, that's what everybody is referring to.

A manual model selected to represent a vehicle known for its off-road capabilities is an interesting choice.  Surely a first modification will be to motorize it.  

I don't mind that it is a manual set, but I hope there are some interesting functions so it pays some homage to the actual thing.  Will be paying close attention to this thread as well.  

I also share others concerns about the neon yellow color.  I hope that is not selected.  Not only do I think it looks bad, it will limit what the pieces can be used for in the future...

2 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

That would be nice to have, but why do you think that's necessary? I think lego moved away from those shocks, and tries to get away with small ones. Why could it not be the same like on the Defender at the front? Also, on the rear, a live axle could easily be done with single hard small ones. In a live axle, there's less leverage on the springs than in an independent suspension. In my Jeep Wrangler build in the same scale, even the single hard ones were a bit too hard, and that was RC model, so heavier.

I hope that the rear axle is not supported directly, but by via a control arm, so this way you get more suspension movement.

There's something about the Land Rover that I wish this model will improve upon: the building experience. Having built the 42110 twice, I cant help but feel that some modules in that model is over-engineered / overbuilt, like the rear door or the side doors or the side slopes with many 1x1 slopes. They feel very tedious, and using a lot of pieces just for one simple module feels like fluff. 

Posted (edited)

I would say that it should have fully independent suspension with 2 extra hard shocks per wheel because having something like a pendulum axle or a live axle uses up way more space, and this model will probably be jam packed with mechanisms/structures.

Yeah, I can't wait until someone motirizes this set *cough cough* @gamayun since his land rover v6 is awesome, this could be even better since we now have more connectors and flip flop beams.

Portal hubs wouldnt fit in rims such as 49294 (IIRC) unless you use a spacer but then the scrub radius and the pivot offset would be very weird so maybe it will just use audi or planetary hubs (3468c01) but i really hope it has fake disc brakes too, maybe they can somehow fit a new disc brake part over the planetary hubs/ 3468c01 hubs without having to redesign a new inner half which cant be removed anyhow.

Edited by SNIPE
fixed typos

Posted (edited)

Did anyone else notice that the body of the G500 set appears to be build mostly or entirely system? :pir-sceptic: :pir_wacko: That will be interesting for a Technic build...

(I don't know if the picture from Reddit is accurate to what the final set will look like, or if it is the final set...)

Edited by Fluwoeb
Added Reddit link

3 minutes ago, Fluwoeb said:

Did anyone else notice that the body of the G500 set appears to be build mostly or entirely system? :pir-sceptic: :pir_wacko: That will be interesting for a Technic build...

Huh? the set is not released or leaked yet

Posted (edited)

@SNIPE Idk, that is just what I saw on Reddit. (see the link I attached to my previous comment) I hope that doesn't end up happening...

Edited by Fluwoeb

2 minutes ago, R4ph said:

Mercedes did a new one end of 2022, but called g63, which would more sense to me :

AMG did the new one, not Mercedes, and the 42177 is a Mercedes license

26 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

I would say that it should have fully independant suspension  with 4 extra hard shocks per wheelm because having something like a pendular axle or a live axle uses up way more space, and this model will probably be jam packed with mechanisms/structures.

C'mon, you can't be wishing for that. That's the lazy unrealistic approach that many of us are bored of. It's exactly the requirement of a live axle in a tight space that would force the evolution of the suspension parts.

planetary hubs (3468c01)

Again, would be very impractical in a manual model, where it is driven backwards and generates excess friction and high speed for the gearbox/engine.

but i really hope it has fake disc brakes too

Unfortunately, I could see that wish become true, because TLG seems more into cheap eye-candy with these car models.. I think you are more into supercars than offroaders, based on all your wishes :)

3 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

I hope that the rear axle is not supported directly, but by via a control arm, so this way you get more suspension movement.

Interesting, but would that be realistic though? I wouldn't think they'd go for a crazy suspension on this one, as it will probably be a street model. I just hope they do improve something on the suspension, at least some recent official models have more realistic suspension geometries, so there's a chance..