Haddock51

Coal Train with Garratt Steam Locomotive

Posted (edited)

53567411608_27f92660ee_c.jpg

Some years ago, I built a coal train with @HoMas Express Steam Locomotive BR10.

Later I learned that this locomotive was primailiy used for long express trains like the Riviera Express.

Recently, I decided to go for a Garratt Steam Locomotive which was mainly used for heavy freight trains in southern Africa and Australia. The choice fell on a Garratt designed by Tony Sava and built by @LeifSpangberg. This spectacular locomotive needed some modifications in order to cope with the challenges in my track, in particular humps.

The train consists of ten fully loaded coal wagons, equipped with eight 9V engines. And this is what it looks like:

53566361072_60c1442468_c.jpg

53567214376_f38550bfa5_c.jpg

53567655710_12c5d94049_c.jpg

53567214036_e21b9b0d15_c.jpg

53567535314_fe66634cdc_c.jpg

53567535134_e8d434e175_c.jpg

53567411853_16d0ab3d24_c.jpg

Edited by Haddock51

You know, I initially mis-read this thread title as saying "cool train". But to be fair, that's very apt! And appropriate that it's plying its trade on your steep tracks, given it was initially designed as a banking engine :laugh:

Do I also spy an SBB shunting tractor in the fourth pic? A TmIII, perhaps? I was just thinking the other day about making one of those!

18 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Do I also spy an SBB shunting tractor in the fourth pic? A TmIII, perhaps? I was just thinking the other day about making one of those!

What you can see on pic #3 and #4 is a Swiss IC Train with an Re 460 locomotive:

Nice, clean builds, I like the photo with the poster!

Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2024 at 9:22 PM, _TLG_ said:

Nice, clean builds, I like the photo with the poster!

The "poster" is a photo wallpaper with a 360 degrees view of the Swiss Alps around Zermatt, incl. the world famous Matterhorn. Probably one of the most beautiful places in the world ...

Edited by Haddock51

It is highly unlikely that Garratts were cruising in the midst of the Alps IRL. Plenty of water available up there ...

10 hours ago, Haddock51 said:

It is highly unlikely that Garratts were cruising in the midst of the Alps IRL. Plenty of water available up there ...

ok, but it still looks awesome regardless!

Great work!

12 hours ago, Haddock51 said:

The Garratt design wasn't about water capacity (if water supplies were limited they used tank wagons), it was about power. An NGG13 was preserved at the Schinznacher Baumschulbahn in Switzerland but is now in Wales. European use was fairly limited, it was colonial railways that really needed the sheer muscle the machines had.

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 12:42 AM, Kalahari134 said:

The Garratt design wasn't about water capacity (if water supplies were limited they used tank wagons), it was about power. An NGG13 was preserved at the Schinznacher Baumschulbahn in Switzerland but is now in Wales. European use was fairly limited, it was colonial railways that really needed the sheer muscle the machines had.

Thank you very much for your clarification @Kalahari134 !

Quite embarassing indeed. I will refrain from additional speculations in the future ...

I have read many books about railways and its history in Switzerland but never came across Garratt articulated locomotives, at least not for the standard gauge of 1435 mm. 

The NG G13 Beyer Garratt of the Schinznacher Baumschulbahn (SchBB) with a gauge of 600 mmm must have been a rarity in Switzerland:

1200px-VOR_Swiss_NG_G13_Beyer_Garratt_lo

There has always been a need for powerful locomotives in Switzerland, not at least due to heavy freight and passenger trains on the Gotthard and the Lötschberg/Simplon lines. The Swiss invested early in electrification and powerful electric locs like the world famous Be 6/8 (Ce 6/8) "Crocodile":

1280px-SBB_Ce_6-8_II_%22Krokodil%22_Nr._

This legendary locomotive is also part of my train collection:

Edited by Haddock51

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 9:01 AM, Man with a hat said:

Awesome :wub_drool:. And did you say eight 9V engines?

Yes, it consists of eight 9V engines due to its weight in combination with grades up to 8 percent.

Maybe you should have a look at my Swedish Iron Ore Train with 24 wagons and 13 (!) 9V engines:

W.r.t. power supply, a majority of my Lego Train 9V Speed Regulators (4548) have been modified in order to provide enough current:

*  0.3A diodes replaced by 3A diodes

*  LM317T regulator replaced by LM350T regulator

*  inside "heatsink" replaced by outside heatsink with a thermal resistance of approx. 1.3 degrees Celsius per Watt

*  minifan mounted outside to keep inside temperature constant

All speed regulators are connected to EP-925 Voltcraft Laboratory Supply Units (3 - 15V).

All in all, the power supply for the entire track consists of six modified speed regulators, three standard speed regulators and two EP-925 Voltcraft Laboratory Supply Units.

Edited by Haddock51

The locomotive is well done. I like how it can function on your spiral track. Your layout is freaking Amazing!

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 4:23 PM, Feuer Zug said:

The locomotive is well done. I like how it can function on your spiral track.

The main challenge was actually not the climbing spirale with approx. 6 percent graded curves, but the humps in combination with a rear bogie movable laterally (which had to be replaced with a fixed liftarm connection).

Edited by Haddock51

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I also noticed that some wagons have silver wheels ...are they motors to aid traction?

Yes, there are eight 9V engines (10153) mounted on four wagons (wagons # 1, 2, 5 and 8). That's what is needed to get this long and heavy train all the way up to the top.

No engines on the Garratt.

Edited by Haddock51

Posted (edited)

The coal train on my track is quite extreme but this is a notch worse IRL...

Edited by Haddock51

Very nice build! Well done!

Also, what a stunning layout! :pir-love: