Black Falcon

21348 Lego Ideas Dungeons & Dragons and D&D CMF

22 minutes ago, JohnTPT17 said:

Teases usually come a day or two before reveal, so I think a reveal Tuesday or Wednesday would make sense.

I am surprised this is getting teased (and potentially revealed) this month, though. I feel like it's announcement is going to overshadow the Medieval Town Square, since they fill a similar medieval niche for a lot of people. I probably would have waited until after MTS released to show this off... But Lego does reveals at odd times! (See: Animal Crossing)

Well, the bigger surprise should be that they are released that close to each other in the first place, the reveal is in the end resulting out of that. I wonder if there is a reason they made their releases that close, in the end they could have just made the DnD now and the Village in Summer or Fall.

5 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

I think the printer parts are from the set, I think a build like the Minecraft big slime could work for the gelatinous cube, I made a similar one for my entry to the ideas contest.

Which set are you referring to?

2 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Well, the bigger surprise should be that they are released that close to each other in the first place, the reveal is in the end resulting out of that. I wonder if there is a reason they made their releases that close, in the end they could have just made the DnD now and the Village in Summer or Fall.

Which set are you referring to?

The Minecraft mountain cave, but instead of putting smaller slimes inside put a rib cage.

https://brickset.com/sets/21137-1/The-Mountain-Cave

It has a face printed onto bricks on one side and the windshield piece with the small slimes inside on the other side.

7 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

I wonder if there is a reason they made their releases that close, in the end they could have just made the DnD now and the Village in Summer or Fall.

I would have exploded if we had to wait so long for MTS after all the leaks.

I do wonder if the seemingly very early leak of the D&D CMF leak had anything to do with this early tease.  But it's also tying in with whatever other 50th anniversary festivities are coming.  The CMF series is coming so much later than the set. :(

4 hours ago, Mopasali said:

I would have exploded if we had to wait so long for MTS after all the leaks.

I do wonder if the seemingly very early leak of the D&D CMF leak had anything to do with this early tease.  But it's also tying in with whatever other 50th anniversary festivities are coming.  The CMF series is coming so much later than the set. :(

I wonder if it was always planned out this way, with the set coming out five months before the CMF? You’d think the Space and DND series would be swapped around so the DND minifigures come out at the same time as the set 

12 hours ago, JohnTPT17 said:

surprised this is getting teased (and potentially revealed) this month, though. I feel like it's announcement is going to overshadow the Medieval Town Square

Might be intentional, so everyone forgets about that one quickly

3 hours ago, Artanis I said:

Might be intentional, so everyone forgets about that one quickly

I doubt they want people to forget about it, they want it to sell don't they? 

I know they seemingly have downgraded it since the leak, but such is the curse of knowledge and the benefit of ignorance. IMO it's still an incredible set. And the vast majority of Joe public will have no idea about any of that.

4 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

I wonder if it was always planned out this way, with the set coming out five months before the CMF? You’d think the Space and DND series would be swapped around so the DND minifigures come out at the same time as the set 

Being cynical about it, perhaps it was planned like this so that if someone wanted to get the new D&D Lego,  they had to get the big set and then they'll buy cmfs anyway when they come out. But it's probably just to space out products throughout the year.

On an unrelated note, since we are getting a few in the CMF, do you think we might get a named BBEG villain in the set? Maybe Vecna, since the next sourcebook they're pushing has him front and centre. The figs are quite blurry so there could  easily be something missed. I guess we'll see soon enough as the teaser suggests a reveal coming sooner rather than later.

I assume the set will be revealed in 1-2 hours if it is today right?
If not then most likely tomorrow :shrug_oh_well:

Edited by Roebuck

7 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Hmm, actually I think it is more likely that people buy the set when it comes out and later the minifigures when they are released - if they would do both at the same time some people might just buy some figures - though I don´t think the number of people that would decide different would turn out to be that big.

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I assume the set will be revealed in 1-2 hours if it is today right?
If not then most likely tomorrow :shrug_oh_well:

Or Thursday, or Friday, or next week. Though I would say if we don´t get them this week it would likely be early next week then - unless they have more teasers.

2 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Or Thursday, or Friday, or next week. Though I would say if we don´t get them this week it would likely be early next week then - unless they have more teasers.

They usually give one teaser 1-2 days before a reveal right :wacko:

1 minute ago, Roebuck said:

They usually give one teaser 1-2 days before a reveal right :wacko:

Honestly, I didn´t pay that much attention on how long it usually is from teaser to reveal. But if we would check throughly I would guess it would turn out to vary from a day to some days.

So these are the main D and D classes in 5 edition: ( ones in bold are rumoured to be in the CMF, I've not highlighted the ones in the set as it hasn't been made fully clear yet)

Barbarian 

Bard

Cleric

Druid

Fighter

Monk

Paladin

Ranger

Rouge 

Sorcerer 

Warlock

Wizard

(Artificer also exists, but it's not one of the main ones it was a later addition, the Bloodhunter class from critical role is also qausi-offical but I very much doubt we'll see that, and we definitely won't see any home brew classes)

So that's 7 out of 12 classes, however it looks like we are getting another bard in the set ( not sure if that armoured halfling is a fighter or paladin, it could easily be either, I mean technically it could be any class but it's probably meant to one of those two). It would be nice if they're going to made a figure to represent each class ( though not strictly necessary as each class isn't locked into a particular appearance) but TLG not completing a group is painfully common so I'm not necessarily expecting it. Though you never know there could be more sets on the way, maybe if the first cmf does well maybe we'll get another ( though considering how long these things take to put into production I'd expect 2026 or 2027 at the earliest). I'll probably buy more CMF boxes than ever before ( though I am putting the cart before the horse, if they look bad ( which I don't expect them to) then I might not.)

Races are a more complicated matter ( mostly just because there are more of them and they are less ambiguous in appearance) so I post this post as is and then start on the races.

Clerics and monks are probably unlikely unless they make them look very fantasy and not too religious. The other classes are pretty well covered with existing parts so long as they do not use some weird new printing style that does not fit with other LEGO figures.

57 minutes ago, MAB said:

Clerics and monks are probably unlikely unless they make them look very fantasy and not too religious. 

yeah I had sorta though that that might be why they had seemingly been omitted so far, but then again TLG are rumoured to making a Notre Dam Cathedral set later this year and if they do that then they will be showing that they are willing to look the other way about religious imagery every so often.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

so long as they do not use some weird new printing style that does not fit with other LEGO figures.

They had better not !!! Though with the leaked halfling figure I think we are pretty safe on that front.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

The other classes are pretty well covered with existing parts

That's very true and part of why I am so excited for this series, so I can mix and match them with my existing parts to make more fantasy figures.

32 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

yeah I had sorta though that that might be why they had seemingly been omitted so far, but then again TLG are rumoured to making a Notre Dam Cathedral set later this year and if they do that then they will be showing that they are willing to look the other way about religious imagery every so often.

They had better not !!! Though with the leaked halfling figure I think we are pretty safe on that front.

That's very true and part of why I am so excited for this series, so I can mix and match them with my existing parts to make more fantasy figures.

Yeah, when it comes to architecture and religion, they seem a little more relaxed. As to the minifigure designs, I think they'll be great as there is no need to go cartoony (like the 7 Dwarfs) and I'm sure they will fit nicely with most modern designs. I already have a lot of torsos I use for generic 'warrior' type figures (the Hun is probably my favourite, but also Dastan from POP, the CMF Elf, vikings, etc) but hopefully this series will provide some nice parts. For monks, I find a hood and cape usually does the job, especially for warrior monks.

Honestly if you want a Monk...  Ninjago's got em in spades.  Plenty of torsos you can use to customize your own Monk figure.  And I'm not just talking Master Wu; all of the Ninjas have torsos from different seasons that can be used.

Monkie Kid torsos are also an option, but I find them too specific to the brand's characters.

Edited by Triceron

54 minutes ago, Poco Lypso said:

Pretty awesome, finally a series I can buy blindly and capitalize on the surprise effect.

My feeling too. No longer is it opening with the thinking "I hope I didn't just waste $5.00" 

The only series I have tried to complete before were Harry Potter and the Simpsons, but I’m very interested in getting this series even though I know only a little of the culture and lore of DND casualty from watching Futurama, Stranger Things, and other references in pop culture etc.

I love fantasy and ‘creature’ Minifigures which don’t have any yellow skin on them (the Greek monsters are some of my favourite CMF figures),  and the news that lots of these figures are designed to be customisable is very appealing, this might end up being my gateway into getting deeper into it 😅 

Edited by Bugbot20082

Not to sound entitled, but what is the hold-up with this set reveal?

Now that being said, I'm always excited for a micro "theme", that I can easily complete. Also, while my DnD experience so far only consists of me being halfway through Baldur's Gate: EE and having played ten or so hours of the tabletop game, I really like the 5th edition aesthetic for how similar it seems to be to the take that The Elder Scrolls has on high fantasy with all the over the top magic and animal inspired races.

As far as we know, there is no holdup - Brick Clicker mentioned he heard the reveal was planned for March, Lego might have moved the teaser up a bit to retake some google results from discussions over the leaked image.

So looking at the races, I've emboldened the ones we are getting, first the main ones (In 5E).

Dragonborn(One in both set and CMF)

Dwarf [Duergar] 

Elf [Drow] ( though there's a presumed elf in the set but it might be a half elf)

Gnome [Deep Gnome]

Half-Elf

Halfling (Seemingly both set and CMF but set one might be a gnome? Looks more like a halfling to me)

Half-Orc

Human ( Tasha is a human though and I'm sure that at least one of set figs will be human, though I'd personally be fine with no humans as we have lots from others themed)

Tiefling

And from the expanded races ( I won't list every single 5e Race, just the more majorish ones)

Aarakocra 

Aasimar

Bugbear

Centuar

Changeling

Firbolg

Genasi (Air, Earth, Fire and Water)

Gith ( Githyanki, Githzerai)

Goliath

Hadozee

Hobgoblin

Kenku

Lizardfolk

Loxodon

Satyr

Tabaxi

Tortle

Triton

Warforged

Yuan-ti

So only 2 of the non-main races so far. And I must admit I hadn't even heard of the Gith before BG3.

To me the most notable omissions are Drow, Elf, Gnome, Tabaxi, Goliath, Half-Orc and some form of Genasi.

Edited by Agent Kallus

2 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

So looking at the races, I've emboldened the ones we are getting, first the main ones (In 5E).

Dragonborn(One in both set and CMF)

Dwarf [Duergar] 

Elf [Drow] ( though there's a presumed elf in the set but it might be a half elf)

Gnome [Deep Gnome]

Half-Elf

Halfling (Seemingly both set and CMF but set one might be a gnome? Looks more like a halfling to me)

Half-Orc

Human ( Tasha is a human though and I'm sure that at least one of set figs will be human, though I'd personally be fine with no humans as we have lots from others themed)

Tiefling

And from the expanded races ( I won't list every single 5e Race, just the more majorish ones)

Aarakocra 

Aasimar

Bugbear

Centuar

Changeling

Firbolg

Genasi (Air, Earth, Fire and Water)

Gith ( Githyanki, Githzerai)

Goliath

Hadozee

Hobgoblin

Kenku

Lizardfolk

Loxodon

Satyr

Tabaxi

Tortle

Triton

Warforged

Yuan-ti

So only 2 of the non-main races so far. And I must admit I hadn't even heard of the Gith before BG3.

To me the most notable omissions are Drow, Elf, Gnome, Tabaxi, Goliath, Half-Orc and some form of Genasi.

Yeah it looks like the set will have a few humans, but when the set is shown next month we will know for sure.  Would love to see a Firbolg, hobgoblin, half-orc, drow, Genasi, warforged, and a bugbear if we get another series.  Wouldn't mind getting more elves, centuars or satyr's, I know we have several different elves from LOTR/Hobbit and the CMF but others will be welcome.  We also have the Centuar from HP and CMF but once again another color would be great along with the CMF satyr which is yellow so a flesh toned one would be great.  The possibilities with this are endless.  

The tease was a little while ago now and nothing more has come of it, but it's March now so I think surely it can't be too far away.

Would have thought they would reveal it this week because of the teaser, but without the leak would have guessed for next week, which does seem quite likely now. 

On 2/23/2024 at 10:03 PM, Cyprinus said:

Lego might have moved the teaser up a bit to retake some google results from discussions over the leaked image.

This has got it be it, it's been ages!!