Introducing you to my latest Midi-Scale spaceship, the timeless Y-Wing from Episode IV - A New Hope! At 546 pieces, this compact and intricate model is barely wider than your average smartphone's height, but keeps a dense, detailed look and accurate proportions.

I initially made a first prototype more than a year ago but was unhappy with the half-baked, almost playset-ish scale. I took on the challenge again and recreated it entirely from scratch: it's now smaller, more accurate, and just better in every aspect.

Despite the small size, I did my best to capture the essence of the original ILM prop: tilted cockpit section, engines off-center relative to the thin support struts, asymmetrical greebles from top to bottom, cockpit turret...

Believe it or not, the deceptively simple shape of the body was not easy to capture at this scale: with such a tiny surface to work with, a subtle balance had to be struck between incorporating complex greebling and "drawing" an accurate body outline.

The cockpit section was a whole other beast, but once I figured out how to create the tapering, things clicked pretty fast. I managed to reproduce the slight downwards tilt, the yellow stripes on the fuselage, and the more discreet gray stripes on each side as well. I believe it's about as small as you can go when creating a Y-Wing cockpit without sacrificing crucial features and proportions!

This model comes with a removable stand. Although it being purely a display piece, its swooshability is very good. In addition to being cost-effective, I think it makes a nice desk model for anyone loving that ILM prop look, with a small space footprint.

► Instructions for the Y-Wing are available at BrickVault!

More pictures on my Flickr page.

53506702129_40a5c40306_z.jpg

53506542738_3eb41a8d21_z.jpg

53506389506_fb853ec61e_z.jpg

53506389451_9034970ba7_z.jpg

53506389431_6b659f2d87_z.jpg

53506542723_5b199f1cfa_z.jpg

Good design at the scale. Quite the NPU with the container doors for the top of the cockpit.

On 2/3/2024 at 11:06 PM, TeddytheSpoon said:

Wow! I almost can't believe how small it is, there's so much detail here!

Thanks so much! It's indeed very compact :)

On 2/4/2024 at 8:06 AM, Max_Lego said:

Beautiful. Very beautiful. You have achieved so much at such a small scale!

On 2/5/2024 at 2:54 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Good design at the scale. Quite the NPU with the container doors for the top of the cockpit.

Thanks guys!