Yperio_Bricks

[POLL] Future Pirates Sets

The next Lego Pirates set will be...? [multiple choice]  

27 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. The next Lego Pirates set will be...?

• a remake
    • an original
    • a GWP
    • an IDEAS set
    • a big ICONS set
    • something from POTC
    • from an other intellectual property
    • a ship
    • a playset
    • a Pirates set
    • an Armada set
    • an Imperials set
    • an Islanders set
    • part of a new Pirates wave
    • part of a cross-theme wave
    • a whole Pirates CMF series
    • a single CMF Pirates minifigure
    • just an easter egg in an other set
    • released in 2024
    • released not before 2025
    • something else

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/16/24 at 04:00 PM

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Maybe the interest in the general population in Pirates sets is smaller than anticipated.

I think part of the problem is the type of Pirates set. For many people, a largish pirate ship is attractive and iconic (both for play and display). Putting aside nostalgia for past sets/themes, something static like an Imperial base or a Pirate hideout would likely only be of interest to the general population as a world-building setting for the pirate ship to interact with (e.g., somewhere to raid/rescue prisoners/store your booty) - you still need to have a pirate ship for these sets to reach their full potential (aside from those interested in fortifications). At the moment, the only easily available pirate ship is the Creator 3-in-1.

After the pirate ship, the next logical set would to be have a large Imperial/Armada ship (such as a frigate or galleon) as an opponent. In my opinion, it is important that this ship be larger than the pirate ship as it allows the player to sympathetically view the Pirates as the scrappy underdogs. Ship to ship chases/combat are far more iconic in the public eye than having the pirate ship interact with a static base.

If LEGO were inclined to go further, a large civilian merchant vessel would also be a nice set, both as a display piece (for those that like models of sailing boats) and as a target for the pirate ship to attack. Detailed sailing ships (both military and civilian) are likely the type of Pirates set that would have the most widespread appeal independent of a pirate ship and Pirates setting. Unfortunately, for these ships to be sufficiently detailed to be good display pieces, they would probably be priced way too high for them to be affordable for the general public; perhaps minifig packs could be sold separately from the actual ship sets to help lower prices and satisfy both those only wanting ships as display pieces and those wanting army-builders?

Edited by TheCosmicTravelers

23 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

So when i was lying in bed last night i had the following thought. Is it even possible for Lego to release an original Pirates/pirate ship nowadays? Or would they be catching a lot of flak because it is no Barracuda, no Imperial Flagship, no Black Pearl?

I believe it'd be well received if it's well designed and detailed enough. A full wave of sets to support it and retail availability would definitely improve it's chances to be successful.

On 1/3/2024 at 3:50 AM, thewatchman said:

The fandoms criticism of Eldorado I think might actually be a bit of a nail in the coffin for pirate remakes. 
 I think the new set is incredible and seeing people complaining about things like a cannon being near an admirals quarters on a child’s construction set is ridiculous.

I completely think it is a fantastic set for play, but it is a fact Eldorado Fortress is advertised as a 18+ set.

My problem with the set is they couldn't choose what they wanted this set to be: a play set or a display set, a finished remake of the original fortress or a modular set. The result feels half-hearted to me and I can't feel the skill and the enthousiasm of the designers compared to previous nostalgic sets. I really want to like the set, but I can't. Wouldn't it be ridiculous spending money just because I love the theme?

I don't mind a canon near the admiral, but I really dislike how unfinished this looks:

11b6a548-6ab7-5a5b-8d06-9b872a6b0019

11 hours ago, Wesley D said:

completely think it is a fantastic set for play, but it is a fact Eldorado Fortress is advertised as a 18+ set.

My problem with the set is they couldn't choose what they wanted this set to be: a play set or a display set, a finished remake of the original fortress or a modular set. The result feels half-hearted to me and I can't feel the skill and the enthousiasm of the designers compared to previous nostalgic sets. I really want to like the set, but I can't. Wouldn't it be ridiculous spending money just because I love the theme?

I don't mind a canon near the admiral, but I really dislike how unfinished this looks:

I prefer the Eldorado Fortress to the Lion Knights Castle because it looks more like a real Lego set although it's still very detailed and fills the requirements for a 18+ set. Icons sets shouldn't look too polished and should still have some resemblance to the original themes and sets. I think The Galaxy Explorer and Eldorado Fortress managed that perfectly. Don't get me wrong, I still like the Lion Knights Castle but I don't get the same feeling when I see it in comparison to the GE and EF which have that classic Lego look an feel. 

I want an entire Pirate CMF Series, just like Space one!

Icons and a pirate ship sets are great

12 hours ago, Lion King said:

I want an entire Pirate CMF Series, just like Space one!

Icons and a pirate ship sets are great

Totally!

A collectible range would be awesome!

I think it’s likely we might see more sets rolled into larger builds, like a selection of 4-5 classics sets merged into one bigger build.

Though in regards to the icons line, I feel like the islanders enchanted island may be next on the remake list 

On 1/6/2024 at 4:07 PM, Wesley D said:

I completely think it is a fantastic set for play, but it is a fact Eldorado Fortress is advertised as a 18+ set.

11b6a548-6ab7-5a5b-8d06-9b872a6b0019

Been trying to mod the admirals office because I think it’s the only flaw of the set. I moved the cannon on top of the jail building and have messed around with the admirals office but nothing good yet unfortunately:(

On 1/7/2024 at 9:07 AM, Wesley D said:

My problem with the set is they couldn't choose what they wanted this set to be: a play set or a display set, a finished remake of the original fortress or a modular set.

Couldn't choose?  Or attempted to accommodate both possibilities to appeal as widely as possible... but didn't quite hit the mark?

On 1/7/2024 at 8:41 PM, kuzyabricks said:

Been trying to mod the admirals office because I think it’s the only flaw of the set. I moved the cannon on top of the jail building and have messed around with the admirals office but nothing good yet unfortunately:(

There are 2 different MOCs on Rebrickable (both free) that address this flaw, if you want some inspiration. The other major flaw I have with this set (besides having too few soldiers) is that awkward gap in the walls in front of the crane tower - one can easily close it with some extra bricks, plates, and tiles to fill in the gap but then the stairs leading up from the dock are pointless (and defensively questionable). Either a small gate needs to be placed here or the crane tower itself needs to be moved forward to act as the 'gate' (as in the original Eldorado Fortress).

I think it will be another remake or a ship but not before 2025, because 10320 Eldorado Fortress came out in 2023 and 31109 Pirate Ship what came out in 2020 is still available on Lego online shop. What could be new in 2024 is GWP, but something small like polybag or some small set so Pirate fans don't feel abandoned or forgotten while waiting.

I think that we will keep having easter eggs and references. For a next set, i'm not even sure it could happen in 2025. I would bet on a ship because it is both playable and great for display, also PoBB is already a pirate camp so I doubt that we'll get another one before long.

On 1/6/2024 at 10:07 PM, Wesley D said:

I agree with this. In addition the set felt padded out and overpriced. If they had got rid of the ship, streamlined the design and knocked a third of the price, we would be better able to appreciate the play features and more forgiving of the set's flaws. Also the set would have attracted a wider audience. Contrast with the Viking Village which engaged with, streamlined and improved upon the original design, while managing to keep costs down with judicious use of parts.

Easier access to minifigs would help. I managed to get the 3in1 ship a few years back. It's still the cheapest option to get 3 whole pirate figs. Kinda priced out of the new fort at the moment but I still plan to get one. It's definately a kit I won't bother to build, I just want the parts for MoCs and those swanky new figs. If there's a 120usd paywall for folks to get pirate figs to use with MoCs, the results are going to be poor sales and little interest.  

According to the hive mind it looks like in 2025 (or later) we'll get a big Icons set, that is the remake of an pirate ship! Then there will be an gwp and the occasional CMF minifig and easter egg.

The ships seems plausible so better start saving money now :pir_laugh2:

What would you think of some pirates ships from the Netflix tv series One Pieces? There was several ships in the series and I think the series had a good reception and has a promising future.

Just a couple Pirates found in LEGO Fortnite :

Outlaw_slicer_icon.png?width=325Pirate_archer_icon.png?width=325Pirate_blaster_icon.png?width=325Pirate_slicer_icon.png?width=325

Crossbones_archer_icon.png?width=325Crossbones_brawler_icon.png?width=325Crossbones_slicer_icon.png?width=325

Not sure if those prints all come from existing old sets or not.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Just a couple Pirates found in LEGO Fortnite :

Outlaw_slicer_icon.png?width=325Pirate_archer_icon.png?width=325Pirate_blaster_icon.png?width=325Pirate_slicer_icon.png?width=325

Crossbones_archer_icon.png?width=325Crossbones_brawler_icon.png?width=325Crossbones_slicer_icon.png?width=325

Not sure if those prints all come from existing old sets or not.

Each of them has been sold in the past years, 3 of them were collectible minifigures:

- 71018-16: Highwayman

- PI165: Pirate Princess

- 71013-9: Scallywag Pirate

- 8833-15: Pirate Captain

1 minute ago, CaptainMoore said:

Each of them has been sold in the past years, 3 of them were collectible minifigures:

- 71018-16: Highwayman

- PI165: Pirate Princess

- 71013-9: Scallywag Pirate

- 8833-15: Pirate Captain

Thanks.

Makes sense for the game to use existing things where possible, so it's mostly Wolf Pack that caught my surprise, but that torso and brown hood is now found in the soon to release Medieval Town Square.