Yperio_Bricks

[POLL] Future Pirates Sets

The next Lego Pirates set will be...? [multiple choice]  

27 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. The next Lego Pirates set will be...?

• a remake
    • an original
    • a GWP
    • an IDEAS set
    • a big ICONS set
    • something from POTC
    • from an other intellectual property
    • a ship
    • a playset
    • a Pirates set
    • an Armada set
    • an Imperials set
    • an Islanders set
    • part of a new Pirates wave
    • part of a cross-theme wave
    • a whole Pirates CMF series
    • a single CMF Pirates minifigure
    • just an easter egg in an other set
    • released in 2024
    • released not before 2025
    • something else

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/16/24 at 04:00 PM

poll1hldl4.jpg

:pir-huzzah2: Happy New Year everyone :pir-huzzah2:

So 2024 has come and we want to speculate a little bit about the next Lego Pirates set.

Will we get something big this year or do we have to wait until 2025? Will the next Pirates set be a GWP? A Playset?

Or will the next Lego Pirates set be part of a wave, released within other themes like Creator, City, Friends or Dreamzz?

Tell us what you think!

Every voter has multiple choices! Check the boxes/statements that seem to be most sensible to you and submit your vote!

Posted (edited)

I don't expect a big ship until 2025 , 3-in-1 is still sold, and LEGO might consider those 3 Pirate sets, based on the lack of real Pirate Islands/tavern type of sets after POBB.

Eldorado is basicly the "Fortress" / Harbour type of set until 2025. 

I hope on a Pirate village type of set , like Viking Village , either fully Pirate town (not shipwreck houses) , or more like a neutral Trading Post , which can still have a Pirate hideout in form of a (skull)cave, basement etc.

Islanders are referenced, but I doubt that statue head in POBB meant much else.

Edited by TeriXeri

29 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I hope on a Pirate village type of set , like Viking Village , either fully Pirate town [...]

Oh, i love this idea!

If we simply transform the Viking Village into a Pirate town, the chief's house could be a tavern, the smith's workshop could be kept or transformed into an other artisan's workshop or fisherman's hut. Treasures could be hidden in the cave. The house above it could be a jail/fortress tower or lighthouse. The viking statue could be transformed into a Islanders statue. Instead of the snow we have some tropical vegetation and a palm tree. Voilà, set finished :pir-triumph:

I don´t think they would ever make a Pirate Village, unless it is on ideas. Some kind of hideout on the otherside seems more likely.

I would expect an Pirate ship next, when we are talking about normal Sets - with GWPs they could kinda do everything.

I think that there could be a GWP this year, but if it's a new big Icons set, it will not be released before 2025.

1 hour ago, Black Falcon said:

I would expect an Pirate ship next, when we are talking about normal Sets - with GWPs they could kinda do everything.

I too think it will be a big ICONS ship, either a remake of the Barracuda or POTC's Black Pearl.

A GWP or easter egg or Pirates reference in an other set is always possible i guess. And hopefully we get a CMF minifig next year with series 26.

1 hour ago, Jiesdeo said:

I think that there could be a GWP this year, but if it's a new big Icons set, it will not be released before 2025.

Well we have the Moments Space Set and the Medieval Town Square - but also another, still unnamed Moments Set, which could be Pirates.

46 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

I too think it will be a big ICONS ship, either a remake of the Barracuda or POTC's Black Pearl.

A GWP or easter egg or Pirates reference in an other set is always possible i guess. And hopefully we get a CMF minifig next year with series 26.

POTC is wishfull thinking. As long as there is no new movie, we won´t see new sets either. And with all the retro sets they are doing lately, it will certainly be an remake of an old classic set.

30 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

POTC is wishfull thinking. As long as there is no new movie, we won´t see new sets either. And with all the retro sets they are doing lately, it will certainly be an remake of an old classic set.

They have done solitary sets for other IPs too, so i would not completely rule it out :shrug_confused: LEGO works in mysterious ways after all :pir_laugh2:

Literally zero chance of a barracuda remake, we had one a few years ago. 
 Without the potc movie advertising the set I can’t see us getting a pearl as much as I’d like it.  

The fandoms criticism of Eldorado I think might actually be a bit of a nail in the coffin for pirate remakes. 
 I think the new set is incredible and seeing people complaining about things like a cannon being near an admirals quarters on a child’s construction set is ridiculous.

lego know they are kind of between a rock and a hard place with pirates as a genre right now, they will price themselves out of sales making moc sized sets to appeal to adult fans, and without making a whole new run, they arnt going to make small play sets that might not sell well.

im guessing a collectable line in a few years time, maybe with a few small play set builds, and the standard brown pirate ship with red and white sails because it’s a safe bet sales wise.

A new pirate Build A Minifigure minfig, BrickLink Designer Program set and a Legoland set are on their way within the next 6 months...

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

A new pirate Build A Minifigure minfig, BrickLink Designer Program set and a Legoland set are on their way within the next 6 months...

Yeah we arnt exactly starved for part out sets, however;

BL designer programs arnt “offical” sets. 
 Same as the Legoland set, it’s more a theme park set like the pirate roller coaster.

I’d be excited for the BAM if it wasn’t just new legs for an old torso print.

1 hour ago, thewatchman said:

BL designer programs arnt “offical” sets. 
 Same as the Legoland set, it’s more a theme park set like the pirate roller coaster. 

If it's manufactured by The LEGO Group, it's an official LEGO set, it just may not be your preferred format or distribution model.

35 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

If it's manufactured by The LEGO Group, it's an official LEGO set, it just may not be your preferred format or distribution model.

Don’t get me wrong, I actually prefer the designer program sets, but it’s a stretch to refer to them as offical themed sets.

43 minutes ago, thewatchman said:

Don’t get me wrong, I actually prefer the designer program sets, but it’s a stretch to refer to them as offical themed sets.

That's merely your opinion (based on what you saw in the initial BrickLink Designer Program releases) and not something officially stated by The LEGO Group - however, I'm  prepared to stand corrected if you can provide an official source that confirms your statement.

Regardless, there is no official Pirates theme anymore.

The LEGO Group distributes pirate-themed sets under various sub-brands.

I.e. 10320 Eldorado Fortress was released under the Icons sub-brand, 40597 Spooky Pirate Island was released under the Creator sub brand, 23122 Pirates of Barracuda Bay was released under the LEGO Ideas sub-brand, etc.

In the same vein 40710 Pirate Splash Battle will be released under the LEGOLAND sub-brand and Ominous Isle will be released under the BrickLink Design Program sub-brand.

9 hours ago, thewatchman said:

The fandoms criticism of Eldorado I think might actually be a bit of a nail in the coffin for pirate remakes. 
 I think the new set is incredible and seeing people complaining about things like a cannon being near an admirals quarters on a child’s construction set is ridiculous.

lego know they are kind of between a rock and a hard place with pirates as a genre right now, they will price themselves out of sales making moc sized sets to appeal to adult fans, and without making a whole new run, they arnt going to make small play sets that might not sell well.

im guessing a collectable line in a few years time, maybe with a few small play set builds, and the standard brown pirate ship with red and white sails because it’s a safe bet sales wise.

I think many of the people that were critical about Eldorado still ended up buying it because the positive aspects still outweight the negative aspects for them. But that's actually an interesting question. Maybe we should make an poll about it?! :pir_laugh2:

1 hour ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

I think many of the people that were critical about Eldorado still ended up buying it because the positive aspects still outweight the negative aspects for them. But that's actually an interesting question. Maybe we should make an poll about it?! :pir_laugh2:

Please do! I'd love to see something along the lines of "did you like 10320 eldorado fortress" and "have you bought 10320 eldorado fortress, why or why not?" (the second with a couple of options like "too expensive", "no other pirates sets", "set was unsatisfactory", so we can see if it truly was that unpopular.

20 minutes ago, Horation said:

Please do! I'd love to see something along the lines of "did you like 10320 eldorado fortress" and "have you bought 10320 eldorado fortress, why or why not?" (the second with a couple of options like "too expensive", "no other pirates sets", "set was unsatisfactory", so we can see if it truly was that unpopular.

Ok, great! Let's do it :thumbup: We can work that out in DMs.

17 hours ago, thewatchman said:

I fear this is true.  I'm pinning my hopes that we can get some kind of generic model ship through IDEAS - a frigate, or maybe if we're very lucky an east indiaman.  That stuff is popular with non-Lego adults, and TLG offers nothing remotely like that right now.  With all the other models like the globe, typewriter, etc., a classic sailing ship seems like a natural fit.

7 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

I think many of the people that were critical about Eldorado still ended up buying it because the positive aspects still outweight the negative aspects for them.

I waited for a sale and purchased on black friday.  Mine came with the "do not put on shelves before July" sticker, suggesting sales have been lackluster.

5 hours ago, Horation said:

Great idea.

BTW, I am NOT gonna put this poll in the FB group this time. FAR too many choices IMO, I don't FB will allow for so many options. So it's up to the forum in this go around!!

I be not expecting any major pirate releases this year, rather a reference in another theme, perhaps a GWP and a character in one of the future CMFs. Still, there is always hope for more remakes. :pir-huzzah2:

16 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Fans can praise and criticise LEGO sets as much as they like via forums and social media.

But what determines whether a set remains in production is how well it's selling. I.e. how much revenue it generates.

10320 Eldorado Fortress cannot generating as much revenue as anticipated if The LEGO Group has decided to trim a couple of years off its production run.

6 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Fans can praise and criticise LEGO sets as much as they like via forums and social media.

But what determines whether a set remains in production is how well it's selling. I.e. how much revenue it generates.

10320 Eldorado Fortress cannot generating as much revenue as anticipated if The LEGO Group has decided to trim a couple of years off its production run.

Yes, that might be the case. But it does not necessarily contradict what i have said. Maybe the interest in the general population in Pirates sets is smaller than anticipated. We don't know. What i meant was, that of the people that were critical in online forums some still ended up buying the set. But 50 people in a forum have not a real impact on the market :shrug_confused:

48 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

But 50 people in a forum have not a real impact on the market

Indeed.  :thumbup:

49 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Maybe the interest in the general population in Pirates sets is smaller than anticipated.

This is most likely to be the case.

So when i was lying in bed last night i had the following thought. Is it even possible for Lego to release an original Pirates/pirate ship nowadays? Or would they be catching a lot of flak because it is no Barracuda, no Imperial Flagship, no Black Pearl?

On 1/2/2024 at 9:36 AM, TeriXeri said:

I don't expect a big ship until 2025 , 3-in-1 is still sold, and LEGO might consider those 3 Pirate sets, based on the lack of real Pirate Islands/tavern type of sets after POBB.

Eldorado is basicly the "Fortress" / Harbour type of set until 2025. 

I hope on a Pirate village type of set , like Viking Village , either fully Pirate town (not shipwreck houses) , or more like a neutral Trading Post , which can still have a Pirate hideout in form of a (skull)cave, basement etc.

Islanders are referenced, but I doubt that statue head in POBB meant much else.

there's a bricklink program set starting in june thats similar to this. Im super hyped for it

A UCS flying dutchman would be a dream come true. UCS level detailed minifigures, two or three decks DX