Marooned Marin

[MOC] BARRACUDA

00-barracuda-marooned-marin

THE LEGEND IS BACK!
In the early 2020., while traversing the Brick Seas, Black Seas Barracuda was hit by a tempest and broken to pieces on the sharp razor rocks of the Barracuda Bay. Then, using all of their wits and everything at their disposal, it took nearly four years for Redbeard’s crew to rebuild the infamous ship. When finished, Captain and the crew were so amazed by the fruit of their labour that they unanimously voted for the ship to be renamed simply Barracuda.

Now the legend is back, the flag is hoisted and the course is set for the new El Dorado fortress where the treasure awaits the return of the Classic-Pirates.

01-barracuda-bow-broadside-marooned-marin

02-barracuda-bow-close-up-marooned-marin

03-barracuda-broadside-marooned-marin

04-barracuda-stern-view-marooned-marin

05-barracuda-top-angled-view-marooned-marin

06-barracuda-areal-view-marooned-marin

07-barracuda-stern-close-up-marooned-marin

08-barracuda-starboard-marooned-marin

09-barracuda-bow-left-side-marooned-marin

10-barracuda-playability-marooned-marin

11-barracuda-captains-cabin-marooned-marin

12-barracuda-crew-quarters-marooned-marin

13-barracuda-detachable-deck-marooned-marin

14-barracuda-lower-gundeck-marooned-marin

15-barracuda-close-ups-01-marooned-marin

16-barracuda-close-ups-02-marooned-marin

17-barracuda-close-ups-03-marooned-marin

DESCRIPTION
Barracuda is a three-masted galleon, easily recognised by a set of distinctive red and white striped sails. Specially built for pillage and plunder, she is fast and nimble, even when overloaded with stolen cargo. Equipped with 18 deadly cannons, a well trained gun-crew and one cunning captain, she is a dread to all who dare to traverse the Brick Seas. To maximise playability and allow easy access to the ship interior, this up-to-date remake features a removable quarter-deck, fully furnished captain’s cabin, spacious crew quarter, kitchen with a rat, and one deadly gun deck.

WHY BARRACUDA?
Barracuda is based on the LEGO 6285 Black Seas Barracuda, arguably the most beloved LEGO ship ever made which I never had a pleasure to own. When earlier this year TLG announced the Re-Make of Eldorardo fortress, I knew what my next project will be, a ship which will supplement the fortress and give my tribute back to the Classic-Pirates theme.

19-barracuda-inspired-by-marooned-marin

20-barracuda-eldorado-marooned-marin

21-barracuda-pobb-marooned-marin

BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS AVAILABLE
Instructions are available on Rebrickable. As always, there is a 25% discount code for all Classic-Pirates fans: CP25
LINK to Rebrickable

rebrickable.jpg.33641c6f02c72f939abf737fc7b19115.jpg

SAILS by TIM BEGOVIC
Sails were made by Tim Begovic, also known as @custombrickstim . I have only a highest praise for Tim’s work and quality of the sails.

I should point out that sails are not stiff and sturdy, but this can be easily fixed with the use of some hair lacquer. I used Schwarzkopf hair lacquer, applied it on both sides and left it to dry on a curved surface. Thirty minutes later, the sails were dry and stiff in a desired puffy shape, and the smell now is quite nice.

Get in touch with Tim via email: tim@begovic.co, or via Instagram account: @custombrickstim where you can see some of his skilfully crafted magic.
The price for the Barracuda set of sails is: €62 (shipping costs included).

NOT FINISHED YET
Still here? Great! Let’s end with a quick build animation where you can clearly see all the ship's curves and lines, after which I invite you to give me your two pieces of eight what do you think about this Re-make.

In fact, remake version of barracuda ship cleary had some regrets(?) for ship builders. Your moc completly solve that problems.

I love those inside details make us easy to play, and love the red door.

Your work will inspire many ship builder like me, Thank you.

Stunning build. The details on your ship are gorgeous. Lift out cabin, good rigging with the real lines, and a bowsprit that is Wow!

A very beautiful Galleon based on the Barracuda ship! :pir-santa: I like that the quarterdeck and forecastle were built longer.

I love it! One small criticism: I don't think the sail arrangement of the mizzenmast (square sail above a lateen sail) looks particularly nice. Either replace the lower triangular sail with a quadrilateral spanker sail (as on the Barracuda Bay ship's mainmast) or remove the upper square sail and use a larger triangular sail (as on 6286).

Edited by TheCosmicTravelers

On 12/14/2023 at 5:57 PM, Third Navigator said:

Your work will inspire many ship builder like me, Thank you.

Thank me? Nay, thank you! I'm deeply touched by your kind words and will aspire to maintain and improve my building skills in the future.  :pir-huzzah2:

On 12/14/2023 at 9:54 PM, Brickander Brickumnus said:

please make a Caribbean Clipper remake!

When I think about it, it seems to me that has been already covered by Babyteeth HERE :pir-thumb:

On 12/14/2023 at 11:48 PM, CaptainPolluxofOrion said:

looks really good! :pir-love:

Thank yee Captain, thank yee! :pir-huzzah2:

On 12/15/2023 at 5:31 PM, NOD said:

A very beautiful Galleon based on the Barracuda ship

I learned much from studying your galleons and I'm happy now it turned out so well. Thank yee! :pir-santa:

On 12/15/2023 at 10:50 PM, Rogue Redcoat said:

Very nice build, I love the video at the end :pir-thumb:

Thank you kind Sir! :pir-huzzah2:

21 hours ago, TheCosmicTravelers said:

I don't think the sail arrangement of the mizzenmast

Thank your for feedback! I see your point and will try that and see how it feels. :pir-thumb:

I take it back; looking at illustrations of galleons (and the Black Pearl from Pirates of the Carribbean), this sail arrangement was in fact used. I guess I am just used to seeing lateen sails on their own.

Interesting, Barracuda was a Brig before, and now it's a sort of Barque with lateen mizzen. Cool.

Edited by Eggyslav

On 12/17/2023 at 9:55 AM, Brickander Brickumnus said:

But we don't have parts list and instructions of how to build it. 

Indeed, we do not. I was really under impression that he made instructions, now I see I was mistaken.

I will consider your suggestion and add the beloved ship on my project list. I never owned BSB as a kid, but I did get Caribbean Clipper instead, I still have it dismantled.

Currently I'm in the early phase of designing quite another ship. This will probably take several months which will give me enough time to play around with ideas fo CC.

14 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Congratulations 

Thank you, I'm honoured :pir-huzzah2:

9 hours ago, Corydoras said:

I spy lots of clone bricks

You spy correct. 

57 minutes ago, Eggyslav said:

Interesting, Barracuda was a Brig before, and now it's a sort of Barque with lateen mizzen. Cool.

Yes, to implement all interior and larger fire power (more cannons) I decided to make it longer and more formidable which led to addition of another mast, the mizzen mast. I'm glad you like it, and thank you for your feedback. :pir-santa:

On 12/17/2023 at 6:25 AM, TheCosmicTravelers said:

I take it back; looking at illustrations of galleons

No, you were right, some galleons did have suggested arrangement of the sails. I used this because it worked well on my previous design (The Pearl), so I never gave it much thought. At the present I will retain the sails as they are, but on my next ship I will probably go with only one big triangular mizzen sail as you suggested. :pir-thumb:

Edited by Marooned Marin
poor grammar

You're Welcome, I modified my copy of Brick Bounty (also a Brig) into a Brigantine. Changing ship rigs is fun.

5 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

You spy correct.

It's a bit of a shame then that a build made largely from clone bricks has been frontpaged on a webstie for LEGO fans. Just sayin'.

I'd say that the clone bricks don't take anything away from this great MOC. I loved the official Baracuda sets, and this revamp is nothing short of amazing.

Beautiful work both with exterior as well as with interior design! :pir-triumph:

Except for the nostalgia factor, your design is way cooler then the original, MaroonedMarin.
I think my most favourite part is the central staircase to the poop deck

Your Barracuda and your Pearl are both very lovely ships. You should be very proud of the work you’ve done. Do you think it would be difficult to mount firing cannons in this ship? Also as others have said I would love to see you tackle the Clipper next and maybe even the Queen Anne’s Revenge.

Edited by Pirate_King_1982

On 12/20/2023 at 9:25 AM, Eggyslav said:

I modified my copy of Brick Bounty (also a Brig) into a Brigantine.

I'm interested to see that, but I'm not able to find that topic on Eurobricks, perhaps you could share the link?

@The Undo @GeoBrick

Thank you both for compliments, and yes I agree, the central staircase turned out really good. :pir-santa:

On 12/24/2023 at 8:45 AM, Pirate_King_1982 said:

Your Barracuda and your Pearl are both very lovely ships. Do you think it would be difficult to mount firing cannons in this ship?

Thank you @Pirate_King_1982 , I'm indeed proud and have mixed emotions which one I prefer better of the two.

You know, now several people, including you, suggested Queen Anne’s Revenge. I never paid much attention to that ship, never had one, but now I will look into it deeply and consider it a possible future project.

Regarding your question, I avoided real firing cannons because they are bulkier and longer, and mounting them would require a redesign of the gun deck floor.

It could be done, but at the price of sacrificing more space in an already cramped deck.

-------

Here I made s a short video of the interior and possible playability.

21 minutes ago, Marooned Marin said:

I'm interested to see that, but I'm not able to find that topic on Eurobricks, perhaps you could share the link?

I didn't post it on Eurobricks yet.