Ngoc Nguyen

42180 Mars Crew Exploration Rover

1 minute ago, 1gor said:

What I like is idea to use brake disc as wheel hub caps...

This, and I also like they align perfectly with the tire and the inner diameter.

Only one sad thing is all 2024 technic sets are looks really function-poor without orrery.

Just looking at this model right now, most of the functions are connected directly to the knob with almost no gear connection, and the portal axle hub used in the wheel is empty.

1 minute ago, msk6003 said:

Only one sad thing is all 2024 technic sets are looks really function-poor without orrery.

Just looking at this model right now, most of the functions are connected directly to the knob with almost no gear connection, and the portal axle hub used in the wheel is empty.

Hasn't that been the case for most of the previous January releases?

18 minutes ago, Jim said:

Hasn't that been the case for most of the previous January releases?

Maybe, but interestingly it's the March one.

This model looks really neat, that's for sure. But what about the functions? It looks like the main function is extending the wheelbase - is that controlled by a gear and knob, or do you just pull on it and it slides open? It looks like all three axles are live axles without springs - can anyone see any springs on this? It doesn't look like it has a drivetrain or internal function gearbox, and the crane on the back is small and weak. As far as looks go, and new parts in new colors, this set is a showstopper. But unlike with System themes, I mainly approach Technic for the functions, and I don't see any functions here that the Arocs didn't already do better, except for the extending wheelbase.

Edit - Of course, the Arocs isn't really a fair comparison, since it has more than twice as many parts.

Edited by icm

This would have been the perfect opportunity to revive the Technic Figures. After all, this is a Technic play set, the only thing missing here are Figures.. such a missed opportunity, dear TLG.

7 minutes ago, karmadrome said:

This would have been the perfect opportunity to revive the Technic Figures. After all, this is a Technic play set, the only thing missing here are Figures.. such a missed opportunity, dear TLG.

Those would be way too big for this vehicle. I think minifigs are a better fit in this particular case.

7 minutes ago, karmadrome said:

Damn I thought the same thing 10 minutes later lol. This is the first time Technic has a theme since Arctic I think? And those had some sweet Technic figures.

Just now, johnnytifosi said:

Damn I thought the same thing 10 minutes later lol. This is the first time Technic has a theme since Arctic I think? And those had some sweet Technic figures.

There have been quite a few subthemes following Arctic - Rally, Competition, Create N Race, Slizers, Roboriders, and early Bionicle, for example.

6 hours ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

There have been quite a few subthemes following Arctic - Rally, Competition, Create N Race, Slizers, Roboriders, and early Bionicle, for example.

I think he specifically means THE Technic figures, not any figures made using Technic elements

17 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

I think he specifically means THE Technic figures, not any figures made using Technic elements

If so, then Rally, Competition, and Create N Race would still qualify given that they featured sets with Technic figs.

11 hours ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

If so, then Rally, Competition, and Create N Race would still qualify given that they featured sets with Technic figs.

Did they really? How interesting

I think there is too much cargo stuff here. all of that takes up almost half of the parts count.

I would rather the other half of the parts count be used to make the rover better, like putting gears in the  portal hubs, addding an engine with differenials, adding pendular axles with springs on all wheels, etc - basically more functional stuff in general.

I say this because I find building cargo in technic very boring, id rather be building mechanisms.

Just my personal preference, I know that its intended to be a play toy hence the cargo but can't we just make our own cargo anyhow?.

The mack anthem had 2595 pieces, and a very good B model (its the only set where I actually prefer the B model), even the 42052 was good.

I thought LEGO would make models even more functionally impressive since they have so many new parts they can use now, but technic models of the newer era seem to be getting less and less impressive..

I like this models functions, in particular the body elongation mechanism which I originally thought was to help drive over different sides boulders, etc

And I suppose it could still be used for that.

the rear ramp thing is very basic but at least its there, steering is fine I suppose.. crane is very basic again but at least it has one and it has 3 functions (turntable, boom, string reel)

I'll still pick this set up of course and MOD it with the above features. I also am yet to see any new functional/structural elements aside from the new knob wheel with a 45 degree axle hole. But maybe some stuff will actually be there once more info is released., its just early days yet.

1 hour ago, SNIPE said:

addding an engine with differenials

I also agree everything you wrote but this is wrong. Space don't have air so normal engine can't working. At least TLG need to use 'motor' thing in peugeot 9x8 again. Or make dummy C+ (maybe control minus?) motors.

Edited by msk6003

8 hours ago, msk6003 said:

I also agree everything you wrote but this is wrong. Space don't have air so normal engine can't working. At least TLG need to use 'motor' thing in peugeot 9x8 again. Or make dummy C+ (maybe control minus?) motors.

Oh, yeah haha

I am planning to make a MOC of this. For several minifigures. This NASA concept will change something in a bit further away in time. Future, maybe 2100... It was very interested to listen how the design team worked with NASA. And that toilets were a first thing that TLG had to include. All of those things around Mars-rover in this sets do something / are used for something in real life. Very fascinating to listen...

Edited by legoturtle

Wonder why they didn't use the 18940 + 18942 gear rack elements for the extension function and use a gear instead of manually pulling/pushing some frames together and locking them with a pin. Also way too many System parts will upset many purist Technic fans, but seems to be a trend like the Creator Expert vehicles relying heavily on Technic for the chassis.

Set reminds me a lot of the 3-in-1 31107: Space Rover Explorer from 2020, but then bigger and Technic, probably from the same Nasa concept rover.

Even down to the cargo, crane location, side door, and radar dish positions.

Edited by TeriXeri

I'm not a massive fan of this set. It looks extremely unattractive and the body extension mechanism (or lack of one) is pretty dull.

13 minutes ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

I'm not a massive fan of this set. It looks extremely unattractive and the body extension mechanism (or lack of one) is pretty dull.

Agreed, it's a weird looking set/vehicle and it could probably have been better. And yet, I am still intrigued by it and I will definitely get it.

12 minutes ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

At least it's something original and not yet another boring licensed car or construction machine. It's clear that these sets are not targeted at AFOL's and Technic fans but at children. I would have loved this set as a kid. I used to have Contrux and I remember how much I loved building space bases and vehicles.

6 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

At least it's something original and not yet another boring licensed car or construction machine. It's clear that these sets are not targeted at AFOL's and Technic fans but at children. I would have loved this set as a kid. I used to have Contrux and I remember how much I loved building space bases and vehicles.

It could at least have been designed with a little more finesse. Look at the Surface Space Loader - functional, but it has some visual swish to it.