paupadros

[MOC] London Street

53284850875_09e04e873c_b.jpg

"London Street" is my entry for Bricklink Designer Program Series 3. You can check it out there, but I was tremendously busy to post it here and voting is already over. :roflmao::thumbdown:

The build depicts a typical street of the British capital. Inspired by the buildings of the neighbourhoods of Soho, Camden and Islington. The model consists of two brick terraced houses set on a fictional street. The ground floor of the buildings have brightly-coloured wooden shopfronts that are common throughout the UK. The buildings are placed at an angle to add interest to the composition of the model.

The left building is home to Erling & Sons Flower Shop, boasting an enchanting Sand Green, Tan, and Dark Orange colour palette. It draws loose inspiration from the Golden Eagle tavern on 59 Marylebone Lane. The building on the right is home to Print and Map Shop. It uses a combination of Dark Red and Medium Nougat to replicate some of the more typical terraced homes found all throughout England. The ground floor design takes cues from the Print and Map Shop on Portobello Road.

A few extra pics so you can judge it for yourselves:

53284394571_46fd93dbe6_b.jpg

53284394576_ef70ddecf2_b.jpg

53283497852_471c760380_b.jpg

53284850860_f238e7477d_b.jpg

53284766314_4f76bfc2a5_b.jpg

Edited by paupadros

Very nice moc! I love the detailed facades :wub: The wooden shop fronts look so good and the facades are packed with details without being overwhelming. The slight angle makes the whole scene even more attractive to the eye.

The colors are pefect! I only feel that the maps in front of the shop take away from the composition color wise.

Congrats for being frontpaged! Well deserved. In fact your design is one of the very few I voted for. I have a soft spot for British high street style models. Your design is a perfect example to demonstrate that you do not need 3000+ parts to create a lovely model. Hopefully it will make the top 5. I would definitely order one.

Beautiful work on your small slice of London. The colors work well together between the two buildings, and they have a good bit of architectural design to make them stand out.

19 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Very nice moc! I love the detailed facades :wub: The wooden shop fronts look so good and the facades are packed with details without being overwhelming. The slight angle makes the whole scene even more attractive to the eye.

The colors are pefect! I only feel that the maps in front of the shop take away from the composition color wise.

Thank you so much! I'm so glad you like it. It took a little while to get the colour scheme right. I wanted a building in Medium Nougat and another in Tan, as they are overwhelmingly the most predominant colours one tends to see around London. Green and red as the bases were chosen to complement without overwhelming, hence why I chose Sand Green (as opposed to a brigher green) and Dark Red. The angle was the first thing I knew I wanted in the build. It adds that interest that can only be achieved using interesting compostion. Having the maps in the front is a fair criticism. I have them there as it is inspired by the Portobello Map Shop, which has a large stand of old maps in front. I debated removing them, but kept them in the end.

18 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow! :wub:

The flower shop is my favorite... the details and colors are a joy to behold! :pir-stareyes:

Thank you so much!

7 hours ago, brickphisto said:

Congrats for being frontpaged! Well deserved. In fact your design is one of the very few I voted for. I have a soft spot for British high street style models. Your design is a perfect example to demonstrate that you do not need 3000+ parts to create a lovely model. Hopefully it will make the top 5. I would definitely order one.

Thanks! It was a bit unexpected, as it got frontpaged almost immediately! Thank you so much for voting, we'll see how it turns out. Absolutely agreed, from the first two series, it was a bit frustrating to see how many of the designs are just gigantic. The intention was always to have a 800-1500 piece model of a full street façade with that British charm.

2 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Beautiful work on your small slice of London. The colors work well together between the two buildings, and they have a good bit of architectural design to make them stand out.

Thank you! Usually my buildings contain quite a lot of chopping and pasting to create a never before seen building. For this, I consciously kept it quite simple and authentic to the source material. Making them "stand out" therefore was quite difficult. So with pretty much  every element of the building, there is a familiarity between buildings, but everything changes. Different windows (widths, heights, fences), different brick colour, different cornices...

Oh my gosh….this London Street looks FANTASTIC! You did a great job, keep your work up!!! :) 

Color scheme, facade and others are just beautiful. It makes me feel like I was in London, lol. 

The vibe of these two buildings is perfect. I really like the slight offset of the Print shop. The angle and the tiny gap create an interesting feature. Colorwise, both store fronts look appealing and realistic. Really well done.👍

On 10/26/2023 at 6:50 PM, Lion King said:

Oh my gosh….this London Street looks FANTASTIC! You did a great job, keep your work up!!! :) 

Color scheme, facade and others are just beautiful. It makes me feel like I was in London, lol. 

Thank you so much! I'd been to London a week prior to designing this, so I had plenty of source material fresh in my mind, which definitely helped.

23 hours ago, Redhead1982 said:

The vibe of these two buildings is perfect. I really like the slight offset of the Print shop. The angle and the tiny gap create an interesting feature. Colorwise, both store fronts look appealing and realistic. Really well done.👍

Thanks! The gap is pretty accidental and a consequence of angling the façade of the Print Shop, but I think it adds something to the whole too ;)

22 hours ago, ReplicaOfLife said:

Wow, those facades really capture the vibe of a traditional english street perfectly. Love it.

Thank you! Means a lot coming from you :)

Really good facades! They capture the atmosphere of a tiny part of London very well.

On 10/26/2023 at 6:50 PM, Lion King said:

Thank you so much! I think I captured the essence of the city quite well. :pir-classic:

On 11/6/2023 at 10:37 AM, alois said:

Really good facades! They capture the atmosphere of a tiny part of London very well.

Thanks! I think the angle gives it the extra interest that would otherwise be missing.

On 11/6/2023 at 9:51 AM, jalemac34 said:

really nice work

On 11/21/2023 at 3:10 AM, Itsasecret581 said:

Great design!

On 11/23/2023 at 11:03 PM, The Undo said:

Nicely done facades. The scene looks like it tells a story :pir-thumb:

Thank you for all the comments! Sorry for responding close to 3 months late, but greatly appreciated!