Plot Twist, the Ice Planet theme had a female doctor before with "Doctor Kelvin" , and the face is not known yet :)

sp017.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

16 minutes ago, Sir Dano said:

How DARE they make a female counterpart of a male figure!?

I'm going to burn all my lego in protest.

I know, right?! What next, FEMALE robots?? Stupid Wokeism!! 😡

I just think calling something "woke" for being gendered when it's based on, like, '50s era pulp art (when gender roles were WAY more rigid), is proof that the word "woke" in this case is little more than a substitute for "things I don't like".

7 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

I just think calling something "woke" for being gendered when it's based on, like, '50s era pulp art (when gender roles were WAY more rigid), is proof that the word "woke" in this case is little more than a substitute for "things I don't like".

Agreed 100%! 👍

Wow. I really don't like this series. If they were still in bags, I'd buy a couple of the pink space babies, but it's not something I'm interested in paying more for to either buy a whole case or buy from Bricklink. It's cool that they brought back the chainsaw piece (not sure yet whether it's neon), but that isn't a rare piece. Everything else is a really hard pass for me.

I was excited when I saw the titles of them this morning before I heard there was a picture. There was a great Ice Planet torso on PAB a while back, so I had high hopes that this one would be a great fresh take on the old theme. It's certainly different, but not in a good way. The M-Tron one isn't bad, but it doesn't fit into the original theme, and it also doesn't stand out as something new worth building around because it's still the same torso. I was also excited when I saw something about a classic space robot and a space nanny. I thought at least one of those would include a new classic space torso, probably the black one, or maybe dark bley. I can't believe there's not a single classic space torso here.

This wave is radically different from what I expected. I'm glad I'll be saving money this year by passing on these boxes.

1 hour ago, Murdoch17 said:

I, for one, have been waiting for the female retro-astronaut for YEARS!

51888653647_e8c53bd2ba_z.jpg

She will go good with my 1950s rocket. Now I just need to get the male retro astronaut as well, to replace my custom space voyager figs.

I love that rocket! It looks awesome.

By the way, they've been doing female counterparts of figures since series 4:

col02-15.pngcol04-5.png

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

Plot Twist, the Ice Planet theme had a female doctor before with "Doctor Kelvin" , and the face is not known yet :)

sp017.jpg

The Ice Planet fig being a modern version of Dr Kelvin would be great.

1 hour ago, jodawill said:

I love that rocket! It looks awesome.

Thanks. It's inspired by set 3831 - Rocket Ride, from the Spongebob theme.

3 hours ago, legoturtle said:

Well look this minifigure

AND now look that FEMALE version of same minifigure. Where is the idea? Story? Everything... :/ very sad :/

I am going to go with the fact you are either quite young, or the language and culture barrier is causing a communication issue here on the forum. While Opinions are welcome to be shared, maybe work on communicating it in a pleasant manner.

As you may have noticed, there are several "counterpart" figures over the decade plus of CMF. This is another long awaited counterpart for the now long past Space Hero. 

s-l1200.webp

This book is from 1953, not exactly  a "Woke" era was it?

3 hours ago, Sir Dano said:

By the way, they've been doing female counterparts of figures since series 4:

The Ice Planet fig being a modern version of Dr Kelvin would be great.

Going by the 50/50 male/female ratio, the Ice Planet minifigure and the Astronaut must be female

(also because there is already a male Astronaut in Series 15)

My point was not that there is female... I was saying that maybe half of the minifigures look very strange. NOT space related. I am very surprised how this collection does not seem to fit together... I thought it is SPACE minifigures... BUT there is also very interesting ones M-Tron, Blacktorn, Ice Planet. Even space penguin. 

I think it’s a very strong series. It might be the first one I buy a whole box of since all the figs are army builders! Sure, there are some duds like the UFO costume or the Astronaut (shoulda been a CS Spaceman and UFO alien remake instead) and some like Orion are kinda odd choices, but they all come with interesting new molds at least. The long overdue remakes of M-tron, Blacktron II, and Ice Planet came out excellent, although it’s a shame the M-tronian doesn’t come with a visor (why is LEGO so stingy with trans. neon colors these days!?) and that the Blacktron mutant had those lime double arms and animal leg on both sides. Also, I wish the Insectoid was a Zotaxian cyborg like from the original theme, but it still looks cool. The MIB-style tiny aliens in a minifig robot suit is a very clever idea (I bet the reverse side of the head has the closed face), and the space nurse will go great with my hospital spaceship! Retro Space Girl also looks great. 

7 hours ago, legoturtle said:

My point was not that there is female... I was saying that maybe half of the minifigures look very strange. NOT space related. I am very surprised how this collection does not seem to fit together... 

They’re literally all space related. :facepalm: And when has a CMF series ever fit together? Even the licensed series and previous themed series had many varied figs, even in different scales. 

71008-7.jpg?20141217113071012-3.jpg?20160329072971012-2.jpg?20160329072771023-8.jpg?201901150204

I would like to see something like this also... We have this rainbow colours in so many sets now a days. Aliens, UFO... actually that space tourist is similar to that corpse they showed in Mexico. Small, grey and so on...

No airtanks in new colours. No Classic torsos in new colours. A bit of a letdown from what you'd expect of a "Space CMF series" really. 4 or 5 worthwhile... such wasted potential. However, I usually only find 2-4 useful from a normal series of 16, so I guess it's a win?

6 hours ago, legoturtle said:

I would like to see something like this also... We have this rainbow colours in so many sets now a days. 

Like what? 

6 hours ago, legoturtle said:

Aliens, UFO... actually that space tourist is similar to that corpse they showed in Mexico. Small, grey and so on...

That is because those corpses (which were a hoax) and the vacaylien are both based on the same source material - Classic sci-fi Greys. 

Well for example whole Dreamzzz lineup and Ninjago also. Don't get me wrong there are some very interesting minifigures BUT I must say that I expected more. Half of them are so weird that they don't belong that collection. 

That's why I think it is the same chase when SPACE subtheme is in many themes (Dreamzzz, Technic, Friends, City, and so on...) They kind of give everyone 2-3 minifigures to like. BUT they don't fit together.

Just now, legoturtle said:

Half of them are so weird that they don't belong that collection. 

The only ones that stand out to me as being somewhat odd are the UFO suit guy and Orion; all others are a remade classic faction (M;Tron, Ice Planet, mutated Blacktron II), sci-fi archetype (MiB-style Human suit piloted by mini aliens, retro space girl, retro robot, Grey vacaylien), or fit naturally into a space/sci-fi setting (NASA astronaut, Buggoid elite, robot nurse). 

20 hours ago, legoturtle said:

Very nice images!

Always good to see Jang

17 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Seriously? A whole space themed CMF and no new Classic Spaceman colour? I mean, I’ll take the Pink Spacebaby, but I’m still kinda disappointed.

Yeah, this is shocking to me. There are a ton of colors in lego's palate, I would have loved a Coral Spaceman, or a Sand Blue spaceman, or whatever.

12 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Going by the 50/50 male/female ratio, the Ice Planet minifigure and the Astronaut must be female

(also because there is already a male Astronaut in Series 15)

What are you counting the Gray Tourist and bug thing as? (For that matter, does the man mech suit count as male? Could be female pilots)

I'm not super focused on the CMFs, but have they been adhering to a 1-1 male/female ratio? I guess it makes sense population wise, but kinda hard to stick to with stuff like the buggoid that doesn't have standard gender-specifying features or clothes.

My thoughts:

Man mech: This one doesn't do it for me. I get the joke, but I much prefer ones that look more space-like than just... a dude with a weird head and some microfigs.

Robot chef thing: I don't mean to start off so negative here, as I like a lot of this series, but this guy doesn't do it for me either. I don't get the bubble helmet and don't like whatever that leg/apron part is.

Classic Spacegirl: This one's pretty cool, a nice 50s era rocketeer with good printing, colors, and a dog. I like it.

M-Tron Scientist: I love it- this is exactly what I wanted from the CMF, older themes with new printing/parts. Great looking fig- just wish the legs were dual-molded, but that's a minor gripe. I'd pick one up if they were in bags.

UFO guy: I swear this is the last one I don't like, but... yeah, this looks dumb. The torso and legs will be good for Spot's second form from ATSV, though.

Grey Tourist: This is the best of the non-classic space ones, he's awesome. I'd 100% get the guy if these were bagged still.

Insect thing: Should have been an Insectoid, but it looks pretty good as-is. I like the legs.

Standard Astronaut: I dunno. This isn't really a rare design type, I kind of would have preferred a Galaxy Squad, ADU Trooper, or Futron explorer. That said, like the insect, it's well-done.

Ice Planet: Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. This is getting at least 2 copies bricklinked by me, that helmet is awesome and I love that we're getting the Wrecker armor more and more commonly.

Blacktron Mutate: Not bad- I would have preferred an armored troop like a commander with the jetpack- but it's good as is. The white armor with a breathing mask and mohawk reminds me of the trail cutter stormtroopers from the star wars newspaper comic all the way back after ANH came out.

Orion: I don't care too much about the constellation aspect, but the fact that it's transparent almost fully is very interesting to me. I wonder if we'll see force ghosts now, just using an aqua torso or something.

Space Nanny: love that Classic Space Baby has a sister now, and the actual figure is a pretty cool android with interesting leg printing. 

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm not super focused on the CMFs, but have they been adhering to a 1-1 male/female ratio? I guess it makes sense population wise, but kinda hard to stick to with stuff like the buggoid that doesn't have standard gender-specifying features or clothes.

Recent series have been 50-50 M/F for applicable characters. 
Space series breakdown: Human suit (N/A), retro robot (N/A), retro space girl (F), M;Tron (M), UFO costume (M), vacaylien (N/A), Buggoid elite (N/A), NASA astronaut (??), Ice Planet (??), Blacktron II mutant (M), Orion (N/A), robo-nurse (F). 
Two female, three male, and two unconfirmed. 

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

M-Tron Scientist: I love it- this is exactly what I wanted from the CMF, older themes with new printing/parts. Great looking fig- just wish the legs were dual-molded, but that's a minor gripe. I'd pick one up if they were in bags.

The legs are dual-moulded, I believe; we cannot see the sides of the legs, but the white is too crisp to be printed over red! 

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Insect thing: Should have been an Insectoid, but it looks pretty good as-is. I like the legs.

I feel like this figure was unintentionally set up to disappoint by the Minifig list, since it was described as an “Insectoid Alien” (so the expectation was that it would be a Zotaxian remake). Had the description been “Bug Alien”, “Buggoid”, or something else of that nature, no one would have an issue. I personally really like it! 

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I would have preferred an armored troop like a commander with the jetpack

I am curious to see how that torso looks with the NASA astronaut’s jetpack piece. 

10 hours ago, legoturtle said:

My point was not that there is female... I was saying that maybe half of the minifigures look very strange. NOT space related. I am very surprised how this collection does not seem to fit together... I thought it is SPACE minifigures... BUT there is also very interesting ones M-Tron, Blacktorn, Ice Planet. Even space penguin. 

I mean, they all seem pretty obviously space-related to me, regardless of whether they're based on existing LEGO Space factions. And regardless, there's nothing "woke" about the selection from what I can see. It's just a mix of references to earlier Space themes, references to earlier CMFs, and brand-new concepts.

I'm as much of a sucker for nostalgia as anyone, but there was never any reason to think that a Space series would implicitly mean focusing strictly on established space factions. After all, look at all the space-related CMFs we've seen in previous series: there have been figs based on existing factions like the Space Villain and Space Police Guy, figs based on new sci-fi factions/concepts like the Classic Alien and Space Miner , figs based on real-world space exploration and rocket science like the Astronaut and Space Fan, and "costume" figs like the Rocket Boy.

And when you look at the "Monsters" series (Series 14), a previous non-licensed "themed" series, it likewise had a mix of classic "gothic horror" type monsters who'd easily fit in with a theme like Monster Fighters, "sci-fi horror" monsters, "costume" figs, and wacky concepts like the Monster Rocker. The emphasis, just as now, was on creative variety and catering to a range of tastes, not on making sure all the figs in the series would fit together in the same setting or genre.

Edited by Aanchir

I don't think I would have been as disappointed with this series if they were in bags and if I had seen the final reveal before reading the descriptions. If they were in bags and I didn't know what was coming before I saw the images, I would probably think, "Oh, that's cool. There are some great parts in here I'm interested in." I had quite different expectations when I saw the text description, and it was a huge disappointment when I saw the image later. But with them being in boxes, the barrier to entry is way too high.

I don't want to buy an entire case just to get a few parts I'm interested in. I'm definitely not going to buy the boxes blindly just for maybe a 1 in 6 chance I get a couple pieces I'm interested in. This is on par with most minifigure series. I often skip an entire series if there's nothing I'm interested in, and usually there are about two that I want to buy. I'm lot more pessimistic because I can't buy them in bags. It would take something really extraordinary to make me shell out the cash for a whole case or to buy them at inflated prices on Bricklink for individuals. $5 is already the maximum amount I'm willing to pay for most minifigures.

The Ice Planet one would be better if it was sold as a new theme. I would probably be interested in that if it wasn't sold as a new version of something else because it's so radically different. The Ice Planet faction was a group of research scientists. This person looks like a trained killer. I also don't get the penguin. I guess it's meant to be humorous, but it makes no sense in any other context. They could have used that part slot for the visor on the M-Tron minifigure.

The M-Tron minifigure really isn't that bad. The device he's holding looks kind of cool. But those torsos are super cheap on Bricklink. Heck, I could get an entire M-Tron minifigure with the visor and everything for about $3 online, so why would I pay more for this new one? I don't feel like this really adds anything to what already exists. And if I was just buying blind boxes, I'd have a 1 in 12 chance of getting one, so on average, I'd be paying $60 for each one, or maybe $10 from Bricklink before shipping. I could get about three of the originals for that price.

41 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

And when you look at the "Monsters" series (Series 14), a previous non-licensed "themed" series, it likewise had a mix of classic "gothic horror" type monsters who'd easily fit in with a theme like Monster Fighters, "sci-fi horror" monsters, "costume" figs, and wacky concepts like the Monster Rocker. The emphasis, just as now, was on creative variety and catering to a range of tastes, not on making sure all the figs in the series would fit together in the same setting or genre.

I think what it really comes down to is that novelty is their primary goal for the CMF series. They aren't catering to builders. They're trying to sell these as collectable items. It's in the name, after all! If there's anything in a series that's useful for MOCs in particular themes, you might say it's just a coincidence. I imagine this is why they really don't care about the switch to boxes. These are designed to sit on people's shelves like Funko Pop dolls. I don't think they're trying to appease people like me who want all of the minifigures to have some cohesion with existing themes.

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Recent series have been 50-50 M/F for applicable characters. 
Space series breakdown: Human suit (N/A), retro robot (N/A), retro space girl (F), M;Tron (M), UFO costume (M), vacaylien (N/A), Buggoid elite (N/A), NASA astronaut (??), Ice Planet (??), Blacktron II mutant (M), Orion (N/A), robo-nurse (F). 
Two female, three male, and two unconfirmed. 

The legs are dual-moulded, I believe; we cannot see the sides of the legs, but the white is too crisp to be printed over red! 

I feel like this figure was unintentionally set up to disappoint by the Minifig list, since it was described as an “Insectoid Alien” (so the expectation was that it would be a Zotaxian remake). Had the description been “Bug Alien”, “Buggoid”, or something else of that nature, no one would have an issue. I personally really like it! 

I am curious to see how that torso looks with the NASA astronaut’s jetpack piece. 

Ah, I see. My guess is there'll be female heads under both of them (I'd assume lego counts orion as male). Be cool if the Ice planet head was Dr. Kelvin, though I wouldn't mind if it was that dude with the wicked mustache I vaguely remember. Either way, both torsos and helmets are gender-neutral, which is good for building up their organizations. If only the M-tron worker had a visor part instead of a printed one so we could put whatever heads we wanted under it.

I don't think so- look on the side of the legs, I'm pretty sure you can see the side, and it's all red. I'd attribute the crispness to it being both a CMF figure (which tend to do better print wise) and their display fig, meaning they likely selected the best of the batch. I'd be estatic to be wrong though, those legs would be perfect for Clone Shock Troopers.

Yeah, that's disappointing. As-is, it's giving me halo vibes for some reason.

I can't figure out how much of that jetpack is brick-built- I hope the majority of it, it'd be nice to have a new neck bracket/backpack element.

44 minutes ago, jodawill said:

The Ice Planet one would be better if it was sold as a new theme. I would probably be interested in that if it wasn't sold as a new version of something else because it's so radically different. The Ice Planet faction was a group of research scientists. This person looks like a trained killer. I also don't get the penguin. I guess it's meant to be humorous, but it makes no sense in any other context. They could have used that part slot for the visor on the M-Tron minifigure.

That's not the impression I got from the Ice Planet figure at all! To me the outfit seems like heavy-duty climate protection gear, not any sort of combat gear. I'm reminded of the beefy shoulderpads of the Space Miner, which were previously used the much more aggressive Galaxy Patrol and Alien Avenger figures, but in the context of the Space Miner were clearly just futuristic workplace protective gear for doing difficult jobs in hazardous environments. I also love the penguin as a concept — it reminds me fondly of the penguin crews from some of Chris Perron's cheeky Ice Planet MOCs like the Ice Penguin Excursion or Deep Freeze Befriender. The biggest drawback of this figure IMO is the lack of skis.

Honestly I have no problem with the M:Tron figure having an HUD-style printed visor like that of the Galaxy Patrol figure, particularly since Tr. Fluorescent Green is effectively retired and this appears to do a better job matching the classic color scheme than using a visor in a totally different color would. If the figure's face were just exposed to the vacuum of space or extraterrestrial atmosphere obviously I'd feel differently, but I don't feel like a molded visor would intrinsically be more interesting or appealing to me than this approach.

47 minutes ago, jodawill said:

I think what it really comes down to is that novelty is their primary goal for the CMF series. They aren't catering to builders. They're trying to sell these as collectable items. It's in the name, after all! If there's anything in a series that's useful for MOCs in particular themes, you might say it's just a coincidence. I imagine this is why they really don't care about the switch to boxes. These are designed to sit on people's shelves like Funko Pop dolls. I don't think they're trying to appease people like me who want all of the minifigures to have some cohesion with existing themes.

I mean, I wouldn't say they're not catered to builders, or that they're just expected to sit unused on a shelf. After all, most CMF parts tend to be about as versatile as those from other themes — certainly some are more character-specific, theme-specific, or genre-specific than others, but that's true of minifig parts in general.

But you're right that "cohesion with existing themes" has never seemed to be a universal goal for CMF series. Even from the very beginning there were lots of figures that didn't strictly "fit in" with established themes, like the Caveman, Zombie, Pharaoh, and Spartan Warrior. And some of these became really popular specifically because they opened the door to new genres and settings which had never gotten (and might never get) a full theme of their own!

Since Space CMF roster has been leaked wayyyyy early, I am hoping we will know about the black ship Moments set. 

1 hour ago, Lion King said:

Since Space CMF roster has been leaked wayyyyy early, I am hoping we will know about the black ship Moments set. 

Was that one supposed to be a D2C set? If so, it's probably less likely to leak since there'd be fewer channels for it to leak from. Not to say it'd be impossible, since D2C leaks have happened before, it's just less common than sets released through other retail stores at launch.

32 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Was that one supposed to be a D2C set? If so, it's probably less likely to leak since there'd be fewer channels for it to leak from. Not to say it'd be impossible, since D2C leaks have happened before, it's just less common than sets released through other retail stores at launch.

That’s true. I competely forgot that it is a D2C. However, it’s quite strange that that set was only leaked very very vaguely while other Space sets didn’t have any leaks as early as September. Just a vaudeville description “black ship” for that set while the rests had none.