I looked through the threads, and couldnt find anything,  has there been any talk of new monster jam trucks? my son loves them, and we build them together,

2 hours ago, Mattallica said:

I looked through the threads, and couldnt find anything,  has there been any talk of new monster jam trucks? my son loves them, and we build them together,

No Monster jam trucks this year :sad:

4 hours ago, Mattallica said:

Nope. I don't know why TLG discontinued those sets; maybe it's because they didn't completely displace Spin Master as the primo producer of Monster Jam merchandise.

2 hours ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

Nope. I don't know why TLG discontinued those sets; maybe it's because they didn't completely displace Spin Master as the primo producer of Monster Jam merchandise.

I suppose NEOM offered a better deal than Monster Jam. That, or TLC felt that sales/interest of/on the line were dropping after three years (I have no evidence either way).

Don't think Spin Master factored in this decision.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Kaanere said:

I suppose NEOM offered a better deal than Monster Jam. That, or TLC felt that sales/interest of/on the line were dropping after three years (I have no evidence either way).

Don't think Spin Master factored in this decision.

I was being sarcastic. Although I wouldn't be surprised if my hypothesis were correct.

Edited by Maaboo the Witch

Posted (edited)

Personally, I was bored with Monster Jam even three years in a row. It had the same tires, a similar chassis structure, and the only thing to salvage was rims and parts in rare colors. At least it would have been welcomed to me if the Bone Shaker truck had come out, but it was impossible due to Mattel (Hot Wheels) holding the license.

Edited by msk6003

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

Personally, I was bored with Monster Jam even three years in a row. It had the same tires, a similar chassis structure, and the only thing to salvage was rims and parts in rare colors. At least it would have been welcomed to me if the Bone Shaker truck had come out, but it was impossible due to Mattel (Hot Wheels) holding the license.

For me, the Monster Jam trucks were varied enough that it never felt as if I were building the same model twice. I also think it worthy of note that there were more than enough trucks to keep the subtheme going for quite some time.

Seriously, Monster Jam was one of the better ideas TLG had in some time. What happened?

Hm, part of building process is out of picture...

You know we have a separate thread on the Mars Perseverance Rover polybag too, right?

Regarding the discussion why Monster Jam was discontinued, isn't it obvious since LEGO almost never continues with a sub-theme or "collection" more than 2-3 years? e.g. SW Helmet Collection, ART mosaics etc. That's one of the problems with the complany, a lack of consistency and shortsightedness to only release what's in trend at the moment. The pullbacks never needed a license before Monster Jam, but now it's yet another excuse to pump up prices and leave out the B-Model (even thogh MJ had one). Now TLG can say "don't blame us, we really wanted a B-model but our licensing partner didn't" even though the only thing that makes these vehicles look like the source model is the sticker-frenzy on them.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Regarding the discussion why Monster Jam was discontinued, isn't it obvious since LEGO almost never continues with a sub-theme or "collection" more than 2-3 years? e.g. SW Helmet Collection, ART mosaics etc. That's one of the problems with the complany, a lack of consistency and shortsightedness to only release what's in trend at the moment. 

Why it's a problem if a company is changing subthemes rapidly (I am guaranteed there is a direct connection with maximising profits)? They milk the cow dry and dump it. Like any other company. Even some people in this forum were already oversaturated by Monster Jam sets. Not speaking about the kids who get bored quickly. 

Edited by Oh_Hi_Mao

5 hours ago, Oh_Hi_Mao said:

Why it's a problem if a company is changing subthemes rapidly (I am guaranteed there is a direct connection with maximising profits)? They milk the cow dry and dump it. Like any other company. Even some people in this forum were already oversaturated by Monster Jam sets. Not speaking about the kids who get bored quickly. 

Because many people buy a whole range of products if they are from the same line and would like to complete the collection. E.g. not everyone buys a whole series of mini figures, but most who collect them buy all. Ergo more sets sold. Maybe the MJ sets are a bad example, but why would TLG seriously stop releasing sets from the Helmet Collection? They were far from done with them. Or maybe jacking up the prices meant loss of sales and that's how they conclude a sub-theme is not running well any more. Kids don't care if a toy is licensed or not, the adults who buy these for them do.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

Kids don't care if a toy is licensed or not, the adults who buy these for them do.

Not necessarily true. One commenter on Brickset remarked that they bought the first two MJ trucks for their son because he loved MJ. Would the reaction have been different had the trucks been non-licensed? Probably. Plus younger builders are gonna have their favourite truck, and thus want the Technic equivalent.

Maybe Monster Jam simply didn't sell as well as TLG expected, and they decided to try something else?

5 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Maybe Monster Jam simply didn't sell as well as TLG expected, and they decided to try something else?

Or perhaps the license agreement was made for three years and two sets each, completing last year and maybe the sales weren't big enough to warrant a contract renewal. After all, TLG isn't under any obligation to renew a contract they feel doesn't bring enough customers.

Well, the only thing we know for sure is that we're not getting MJ-branded pullbacks this year; by itself it doesn't mean it's impossible that we get another MJ-branded set (JCB or not) at a larger price point and with features other than a pullback motor (such as 42005).

7 hours ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

TLG just HAD to discontinue Monster Jam this year... :wall:

So much lost opportunity for such a cool design (!) (among many other awesome MJ trucks too)... :/

8 hours ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

TLG just HAD to discontinue Monster Jam this year... :wall:

That one would be very cool even fully RC. Great find.

So, they didn't wanted to mess with JCB licence, and cancelled that MJ line.

Or maybe they want any possible JCB licence to be a nice big surprise, I mean, if we're talking about a JCB licence, I wouldn't say that a pull back is top of the wanted list, so maybe they're saving that for..... something else. Or I could just be dreamin!