Mister Phes

[CONTEST] Half-Way Review - LATEST UPDATES HERE! Anyone want more PRIZES and building categories?

THANK YOU!

A gigantic THANK YOU to everyone who has participated in the contest!

It's heartwarming to observe the amount of creative enthusiasm present in the submissions and the passion for the LEGO Pirates theme remaining strong after all these years.

If you're contemplating entering as a builder or critic, there is still another 4 weeks to submit your entry and leave your creative critiques.

August 26  is the official deadline.

divider.png

Conception

This contest almost didn't happen!

Even though rumours of an Eldorado Fortress remake had been circulating since March there was no official confirmation until June 14.

During the earlier months of 2023, I'd arranged a week 4 voyage during July which meant I'd been completely absent for a month.

And typically the release of 10320 Eldorado Fortress was confirmed for release on July 7 - a week into my absence.

Now, I could have declined because who would be insane enough to arrange a contest and then disappear for a month?

But I asked myself; "when will the LEGO Group release another pirate themed set?"

It could be years - if ever again!

So after the official announcement in mid June, I threw myself in the deep end and arranged the contest in a single week, while allowing another week for questions.

Needless to say, the planning and preparation was extremely rushed and certain aspects of the contest may be a little rough.

But it was either that or no contest at all!

So if you have any complaints or criticisms regarding how the contest has been managed, please direct them at me in this topic and not the hard working staff...  they've done wonders to ensure the ship hasn't strayed too far off course.

divider.png

Remake an existing LEGO Pirate Set Entries

Additional clarification is required regarding the remake an existing LEGO Pirate set entriess.

The objective is not create a full blown MOC based on an existing set, rather "update or modernise an existing LEGO Pirate set" in the same way 10320 Eldorado Fortress and Black Seas Barracuda from 21322 Pirates of Barracuda Bay have been officially updated by The LEGO Group.

An entry which exemplifies the objective is 6278/6292 Enchanted Island Remake by Danny_Boy4

Click here to view more images of this entry

We won't be disqualifying any entries which utilise techniques or part counts that exceed what you'd find in an official LEGO set update, however we will be stressing during the voting phase that the objective was to remake an existing LEGO Pirate set as though it has been officially updated by The LEGO Group. 

Therefore, it will be up to the voters to decide whether the entries meet the requirement giving entrants the choice to decide whether they wish to revise their entries or submit them as is.

divider.png

Should we allow Eldorado Fortress and Black Seas Barracuda Remakes NOW ACCEPTED!

The original rules stated "The [remake] creation can be any existing LEGO Pirate set except for 6276 Eldorado Fortress and the 6285/10040 Black Seas Barracuda because they've been remade"

However, due to popular demand, this rule has been omitted as some claim there is plenty of room for improvement on what The LEGO Group has officially released.

Do you agree we should allow entries based on Black Seas Barracuda and Eldorado Fortress?

Baring in mind, entries should not be "full blown MOCs", but modernised as though The LEGO Group was updating these sets for a second time.

Please share your thoughts on this topic...

divider.png

NEW Prizes and Building Categories

New Prizes

Fortune smiles upon us and we may be able to procure some more prizes for this contest!

While we can't offer a third 10320 Eldorado Fortress, we may be able offer sets around the 80€ and 30€ price points, again subject to their availability on LEGO.com.

Which sets in around the 80€ and 30€ price points would you like to WIN?

New Building Categories

But how should we allocate the new prizes? First, second and third place to the current building category?

Or should we open a new building category?

@zinnn suggested we could offer a building category for smaller entries - do you think this is a good approach?

Or are there other building categories we should offer?

Share your thoughts on how the prizes should be allocated...

divider.png

Contest Entries

Looking for a round up of the the entries?

Check out the entries index for all the submissions so far...

I think that you should just keep with the current building category and the extra prizes should be second and third (after all there are only 4 weeks left).

17 minutes ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

(after all there are only 4 weeks left).

Interesting how you say only 4 weeks.

4 weeks is the same amount of time since the contest launched and that's been plenty of time for entrants to submit a few dozen entries.

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

Interesting how you say only 4 weeks.

4 weeks is the same amount of time since the contest launched and that's been plenty of time for entrants to submit a few dozen entries.

I say this because I takes me 4 weeks to make one entry others are more on the ball than I am and faster at pumping them out :)

Apologies to @A_Goodman if I'm the reason you decided to pull out of the contest, though I guess it was the right decision. You could still keep the images of your great creation though. It was not my intention to get anyone  disqualified and I know that this has hardly ever been a praxis around here. I'm also not pointing fingers at @Mister Phes or any other staff member for how the contest was organized. I was just trying to clarify the vaguely written rules as should anybody before making such an entry. The let the voters decide option is not that good of an idea since I guess that many might not even read what the rules or guidelines were and might just go for the coolness factor of the build. Yes there might be nothing wrong with that, but why not just have the competition with no rules saying build something cool fitting the Pirates theme and that's it. I guess that it's a bit unfair for people who strictly follow the rules and even doublecheck if they got them right to compete against some cool builds who walk the thin line of appropriateness or even go all in in a completely wrong direction.

I am glad that the contest has happened, for I like the Pirates theme and it's been a while since the last one around here - I can't even remember it. At first I was eager to enter it too, but sadly my flat renovations got out of hand and there is no time nor space for an entry. Now I'm quite glad I didn't enter it for I have no idea how I would feel in this situation - I had ideas for a full blown MOC remake as well as some TLG styled remakes. I have no idea nor suggestions what would be the best way to make everyone happy at the moment. But I did want to raise my voice here since I think that there's been some situations in the past where some members took advantage of just superficially following the rules of the contest.

In general I find any of the contests rule to try and imitate a LEGO like set creation very vague allowing for a lot of freedom in anyone's explanation. This includes making oversized UCS set like creation in a theme that is very unlikely to ever receive such a big set, yet they do exist. Also some semi illegal building techniques allowing for some cool effects are in question here as well as stability, parts colors availability (allowing digital entries) ... in the end of the day, why not design a new part for stud.io, just like TLG would?

Yes I did say there's quite some room for improvement of rebuilding the Eldorado or Barracuda, but that was when it was stated that non set styled MOCs were also appropriate entries. When it comes to only LEGO styled sets, I think there is no harm in letting them out, though it would be nothing wrong if someone wanted to show a different approach.

Now that the rules have been clarified I'd say there is no need for extra categories. Just use the extra prizes for the 2nd and 3rd place since there's already been so many entries it would be unfortunate to only award one! Also I don't know what exactly the voting format will look like but always when multiple entries per member are allowed, I would suggest that the votes go to the builder and not the entry. Members would still vote for entries regardless of the builder, but in the back the votes sum to the builder. This way one can not take points from himself with multiple good entries, one builder can not get in two different places with different entries and the effort of members participating with more entries is paid off with having more chances since every entry voted for goes into their total score.

Just some explanation of my views and some suggestions. Feel free to make whatever is seen fit for the rest of the contest. It seems that not many were bothered by this as much as me and not many are even interested in commenting on this matter. I will try to focus on commenting on the entries now! (:

Rather than creating new categories, you could offer prizes separately for the two categories we already have, since from the way I understand it, there is only one prize for both categories. I felt from the beginning that it was rather different to design a new set, particularly in a classic style, and to do a modern remake of a set. Perhaps you could offer the Eldorado Fortress to the overall winner, but a smaller prize to the top entry in the other category.

4 hours ago, MstrOfPppts said:

Apologies to @A_Goodman if I'm the reason you decided to pull out of the contest, though I guess it was the right decision.

No apologies necessary in the slightest, this was a conclusion I came to on my own, I just figured a contest in which the MOC style is allowed but will be actively stressed as not what is intended for submissions to the voters wasn't the place for the build. As a matter of fact I am happy you strove for clarity for everyone entering the contest so those yet to submit their incredible builds will be sure of what is being looked for in their submissions.

I just want to clarify some things as my original idea for an entry is closer to the full on MOC category. Something like this:

52875860625_071654d7b7_z.jpgD1F36B79-9CAB-4595-BA33-DDB9F404C523 by Chris Boyd, on Flickr

After reading the recent update, it should be more like this to fit the rules of the contest?

52721713691_864a932f48_z.jpgForbidden Island SImple by Chris Boyd, on Flickr

Edited by CaptainDarkNStormy

9 hours ago, MstrOfPppts said:

I'm also not pointing fingers at @Mister Phes [...] I  was just trying to clarify the vaguely written rules as should anybody before making such an entry.

It's all my fault as I organised the contest myself!

But I'm not sure if the rules are overly vague as most of entrants seem to have understood the requirement.

9 hours ago, MstrOfPppts said:

Now that the rules have been clarified I'd say there is no need for extra categories. Just use the extra prizes for the 2nd and 3rd place since there's already been so many entries it would be unfortunate to only award one!

Noted... that's two responses for first, second and third place prizes - anyone with a differing opinion?

I’d say maybe size/part count determined divisions so that smaller, simpler MOCs don’t have to compete with larger, more elaborate MOCs. The size of the prize could reflect which division it’s awarded to. Just my ten cents.

Edited by Pirate_King_1982

54 minutes ago, Pirate_King_1982 said:

I’d say maybe size/part count determined divisions so that smaller, simpler MOCs don’t have to compete with larger, more elaborate MOCs. The size of the prize could reflect which division it’s awarded to. Just my ten cents. 

Your 10 cents is very valuable!

This  would indeed be the point of opening a category for smaller entries so they didn't have to compete against the larger entries.

It may encourage more smaller entries, however, is the prize would also be significantly smaller than Elodardo Fortress.

But it's best we allow the entrants of such creations to share their opinion, since it affects them.

53022057678_3016b535cd_b.jpg

53021739219_46303f8f52_b.jpg

@MyFirstMOC-Hun

53049162760_6f279a6daf.jpg

@Elephant Knight

uY7TpYI.png

6GYt8Yx.jpeg

@Vdog

Smaller sets category is also an option, but it needs to be clear is it a small piece count or recreation of a small set. Since those of @MyFirstMOC-Hun are recreations of very small sets but use well over 10 times the piece count of the original. According to the amount of entries I'd still say go with the 80 prize for 2nd place of the main category and 30 for the winner of the small one. But this way beats my suggestion about scoring the builders instead of builds.

4 hours ago, CaptainDarkNStormy said:

After reading the recent update, it should be more like this to fit the rules of the contest?

I'd say that even your second version is still far too good to be true for a LEGO set. It's not just the water and the border, also the palm tree is too parts intensive and it's always an option to ask yourself - would LEGO really use 15 tiles to imitate wood for the floor above the prison or would they just use 2 bigger plates? I'd say the latter for the piece count and also tiling floors smooth isn't the LEGO way either.

3 minutes ago, MstrOfPppts said:

According to the amount of entries I'd still say go with the 80 prize for 2nd place of the main category and 30 for the winner of the small one. But this way beats my suggestion about scoring the builders instead of builds.

I probably should also mention there will be enough prizes for a Main Building Category with Eldorado Fortress as first prize, an 80€ set as second prize and a 30€ set as third prize, PLUS as separate Small Building category with a 30€ set prize.

Including the Creative Critic category, that's 5 prizes in total.

4 hours ago, MstrOfPppts said:

I'd say that even your second version is still far too good to be true for a LEGO set. It's not just the water and the border, also the palm tree is too parts intensive and it's always an option to ask yourself - would LEGO really use 15 tiles to imitate wood for the floor above the prison or would they just use 2 bigger plates? I'd say the latter for the piece count and also tiling floors smooth isn't the LEGO way either.

Gotcha. I’ll try to keep it more in line with PoBB or the new El Dorado.

I'm just going to say that I understood very clearly the rules and stipulations of this contest.

I do think that the two separate categories should have their own prizes. It doesn't make much sense to me to have two distinct categories if they don't have their own prize. If it was worded to say that there were simply two ways to go about building entries, sure fine, one prize works. But two categories should mean two top prizes.

I do like the idea of a smaller category too, but that might be at odds with my other suggestion. would that mean there are 4 categories? A small and a large for old style and new style? Either way, more prizes equals more fun.

And for the record, I didn't enter because I wanted to win. It would be awesome, but I entered because the categories gave me so much inspiration to build!

Also, you have my Caribbean Clipper in the wrong category. It's a 2015 style build, not a remake of the original set. It simply used the same name, like 10210 was also called the Imperial Flagship

EKnight

Edited by Elephant Knight

On 8/1/2023 at 10:31 AM, Elephant Knight said:

I do like the idea of a smaller category too, but that might be at odds with my other suggestion. would that mean there are 4 categories? A small and a large for old style and new style? Either way, more prizes equals more fun.

It would be 5 prizes over three categories...

Main Building Category (New Set or Classic Set Remake):

• First place: Eldorado Fortress
  • Second Place: 80€ set
  • Third Place: 30€ set

Small Building Category - limit of 50 parts (New Set or Classic Set Remake):

• First Place: 30€ set

Creative Critic Category

As @MstrOfPppts has noted, some of the current smaller entries have a part count which far exceeds what you'd find in an official set of that size.

So the smaller building category would be intended for new entries with a part limit of 100 pieces.

One thing I will make a suggestion for is to require builders to choose at most 2-3 of their builds per category, because maybe half the entries have been made by 3-4 super active builders, and while their creations are great, it does mean less variety, since they often build in the same style and this can become repetitive (or even worse ; they get a lot of praise and their build styles are then copied in other entries).

7 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

It would be 5 prizes over three categories...

Main Building Category (New Set or Classic Set Remake):

• Second Place: 80€ set
  • Third Place: 30€ set

Small Building Category - limit of 100 parts (New Set or Classic Set Remake):

• First Place: 30€ set

Creative Critic Category

I, for one, think this is a very fair distribution of prizes! :pir-classic:

20 hours ago, Dreamweb said:

I, for one, think this is a very fair distribution of prizes! :pir-classic:

When will you be submitting your entries? :pir-grin:

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for prizes?  I.e. sets at the 80€ and 30€ price points?

(Must be sets available on LEGO.com)

I'm planning to announce the prizes and new building category over the weekend, so if no suggestions are put forth, I'll choose the prizes myself.

9 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

When will you be submitting your entries?

My entry is 90% ready, I will surely submit it before the deadline, but hard to tell when exactly. :pir-classic:

10 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for prizes?  I.e. sets at the 80€ and 30€ price points?

I understand those will not be Pirate sets - as there are currently no new ones available except for the Eldorado Fortress?

1 hour ago, Dreamweb said:

understand those will not be Pirate sets - as there are currently no new ones available except for the Eldorado Fortress?

That is correct.

Thee 80€ and 30€ prize sets will have to another theme from what's available on LEGO.com.

Aren't winners allowed to pick a set of their own choice up to the amount? At least that was the case in the SW contest ...

39 minutes ago, MstrOfPppts said:

Aren't winners allowed to pick a set of their own choice up to the amount? At least that was the case in the SW contest ... 

This contest has no relation to the Star Wars contest nor did I have any involvement.

Since I didn't have time to finalise the remaining three prizes before I left it's all happening right now!

Is the possibility of allowing the winner choose their prize out of the question?  No...

But from a marketing perspective it's a lot easier to advertise when the prize is known because the set can be included in the promotion.

Ultimately it's what the entrants want...

On 8/1/2023 at 4:57 AM, Horation said:

One thing I will make a suggestion for is to require builders to choose at most 2-3 of their builds per category, because maybe half the entries have been made by 3-4 super active builders, and while their creations are great, it does mean less variety, since they often build in the same style and this can become repetitive (or even worse ; they get a lot of praise and their build styles are then copied in other entries).

I agree with this, additionally, a lot of the builds from the same builder are in the same style, and will compete with each other for votes.

4 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Thee 80€ and 30€ prize sets will have to another theme from what's available on LEGO.com.

Is Pick a Brick / VIP points an option?  Because, as a fan of pirates and castle, there's really very little worth getting from Lego at those price points.

6 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Among sets I would like, the Friends Botanical Garden and upcoming Ski Slope are around that price. I'm not sure Pirates/Friends is a common crossover of interests, though. :pir-laugh: