Mandalorianknight

Dune 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

The set is incredible! The Baron Harkonnen minifig is hilarious and I love it. If I could nitpick a little, I think this hairpiece would've better suited Paul.

3 hours ago, npgcole said:

If I could nitpick a little, I think this hairpiece would've better suited Paul.

Good choice! I was thinking of the BTS hair, but this works too. 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

15 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Good choice! I was thinking of the BTS hair, but this works too. 

I don't think the BTS hair has enough volume at the back personally.

I feel mixed on this set. I love that it exists, I love the play features that they've done so well, and I love that they have included such a variety of Minifigures and done them to a high standard. However, I just don't love the look of the actual model. Maybe that's down to the source material, but the model itself doesn't make me go wow, and I especially dislike that they wouldn't figure out a way to get more Minifigures in there.

9 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

His hair is just Tiana’s recoloured. 

Oh, haven‘t even noticed! Excellent choice :thumbup: 

Blue pins and red axles aside, this is a stunning set and the minifig selection and execution are among the best for any one-off licensed set :wub_drool: More where this came from, please!!

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

I really like the green and white shirt torsos. Hope they'll mysteriously show up at PAB online like some other licensed minifigs :thumbup:

6 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

I really like the green and white shirt torsos. Hope they'll mysteriously show up at PAB online like some other licensed minifigs :thumbup:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm hoping for also, but that canopy might look good on an aircraft (the new piece on the nose that is).

At least from what I'm hearing from people around me (even those who aren't huge lego fans-  I didn't realize Dune made such an impact, but I'm glad it did), it's doing pretty well pre-order wise, which hopefully means lego will consider more sets in the future. This might not be the perfect place, but here are a few ideas:

House packs:

House Atreides battle pack: 2x armored Atreides soldiers and 2x plainclothes Atreides soldiers with knives. Comes with an Atreides banner, tripod-mounted lasgun, and small barricade

House Harkonnen battle pack: 4x Harkonnen soldier (carrying their weapons) with a House Harkonnen banner, some sort of siege tool, and a small barricade that can be busted open.

Fremen warriors battle pack: 4x Fremen warriors (carrying crysknives and 1 lasgun) with a build replication a sand trap (a small sand dune build with a trapdoor to have a Fremen burst out of the sand, as well as a Fremen banner.

Imperial Sardukar battle pack: 4x Sardukar troopers (though I'm not sure how they'd handle the... "finishing paint" of the armor) with both weapons, as well as an imperial banner and a small play feature for them to rappel off some sort of drone.

Standard set:

Ornithopter escape ($34.99): The smaller, 2-seater Ornithopter with Paul Atreides (stillsuit) and Lady Jessica (stillsuit), as well as a Sardukar soldier.

There aren't many mid-sized vehicles in dune, usually just gargantuan crawlers and ships, and besides the Ornithopter I don't think any are iconic enough for wide release yet, though I'm sure that will change with the second film. I think some of the Dune games would be a good source for vehicles here, and a way for different characters and outfits to be included.

Dioramas:

Leaving Caladan ($69.99): Caladan cliffs above water with graves, most prominently that of Leto's father, with the bullfight image inscription printed on a tile. Comes with Paul Atreides and Duke Leto. Quote is "Your grandfather said, "A great man doesn't seek to lead. He's called to it. And he answers." And if your answer is no, you'll still be the only thing I ever needed you to be, my son.".

Shai-Hulud ($99.99): This has roughly the same silhouette as the emperor's throne room diorama from star wars, except the build is the gaping maw of a sandworm, with a bit of desert below it and figures of Paul and Lady Jessica (hooded, with shadowed eyes). The quote is “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer."

10 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

At least from what I'm hearing from people around me (even those who aren't huge lego fans-  I didn't realize Dune made such an impact, but I'm glad it did), it's doing pretty well pre-order wise, which hopefully means lego will consider more sets in the future. This might not be the perfect place, but here are a few ideas:

House packs:

House Atreides battle pack: 2x armored Atreides soldiers and 2x plainclothes Atreides soldiers with knives. Comes with an Atreides banner, tripod-mounted lasgun, and small barricade

House Harkonnen battle pack: 4x Harkonnen soldier (carrying their weapons) with a House Harkonnen banner, some sort of siege tool, and a small barricade that can be busted open.

Fremen warriors battle pack: 4x Fremen warriors (carrying crysknives and 1 lasgun) with a build replication a sand trap (a small sand dune build with a trapdoor to have a Fremen burst out of the sand, as well as a Fremen banner.

Imperial Sardukar battle pack: 4x Sardukar troopers (though I'm not sure how they'd handle the... "finishing paint" of the armor) with both weapons, as well as an imperial banner and a small play feature for them to rappel off some sort of drone.

Standard set:

Ornithopter escape ($34.99): The smaller, 2-seater Ornithopter with Paul Atreides (stillsuit) and Lady Jessica (stillsuit), as well as a Sardukar soldier.

There aren't many mid-sized vehicles in dune, usually just gargantuan crawlers and ships, and besides the Ornithopter I don't think any are iconic enough for wide release yet, though I'm sure that will change with the second film. I think some of the Dune games would be a good source for vehicles here, and a way for different characters and outfits to be included.

Dioramas:

Leaving Caladan ($69.99): Caladan cliffs above water with graves, most prominently that of Leto's father, with the bullfight image inscription printed on a tile. Comes with Paul Atreides and Duke Leto. Quote is "Your grandfather said, "A great man doesn't seek to lead. He's called to it. And he answers." And if your answer is no, you'll still be the only thing I ever needed you to be, my son.".

Shai-Hulud ($99.99): This has roughly the same silhouette as the emperor's throne room diorama from star wars, except the build is the gaping maw of a sandworm, with a bit of desert below it and figures of Paul and Lady Jessica (hooded, with shadowed eyes). The quote is “I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer."

Ah great. Huge Dune fan, both books and movies. In general, I would have preferred an "outwardly nicer" display set, but especially this function with the wings from this terrific scene from the new movie is wonderful. I can understand the balancing act of the designers. But the best of all are the minifurs. Wonderful. The sets you want sound great. Just such figure sets are always welcome.

When I thought Lego could not do any better this year than LOTR Rivendell, here comes the announcement of an amazing set based on my favorite sci-fi saga of all times: Dune !!! I was not aware of the rumors this time so this is a huge surprise, I am so happy :-) 

Like many I would have preferred to get Stilgar rather than Liet Kynes, but this is a detail that can easily be corrected (any suggestions for a Stilgar head btw?). 

It goes without saying that I am pre-ordering in the very coming days (I may just hold off until 1 November to get the nice Galileo miniset as a bonus).

PS: The Dune set being technically released in 2024, it has a chance to compete for the best set award next year (while Rivendell will hopefully win in 2023!). 

4 hours ago, Red Rackham said:

Ah great. Huge Dune fan, both books and movies. In general, I would have preferred an "outwardly nicer" display set, but especially this function with the wings from this terrific scene from the new movie is wonderful. I can understand the balancing act of the designers. But the best of all are the minifurs. Wonderful. The sets you want sound great. Just such figure sets are always welcome.

My thoughts too. The functions are amazing, but it does feel like the exterior is a bit lacking as a result, and looks a but too... messy? It feels like the clean lines have gone. I wonder if some printing on the front screen might have helped give it a bit more definition too, so you can more clearly see the shaping at the front, rather than a large mass of trans black all together.

Delighted that they included the Baron though. I don't normally get drawn by figures, but it's very tempting, just for him!

Overall, thrilled that they made it, and it's brilliantly clever. Not sure I will get it though.

1 hour ago, Altair1 said:

Like many I would have preferred to get Stilgar rather than Liet Kynes, but this is a detail that can easily be corrected (any suggestions for a Stilgar head btw?). 

None have the correct blue eyes, but Cassian’s head suits him and is approximately the right skin-tone. 

8 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

None have the correct blue eyes, but Cassian’s head suits him and is approximately the right skin-tone. 

Nice one! I guess we could just paint the white of his eyes in blue, but they would look different than Chani's eyes for example...

Looks like pre-orders have ended both on LEGO's site and Target. We shall see if they reopen. In any case, I guess that's probably a good sign that it's selling well?

10 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Looks like pre-orders have ended both on LEGO's site and Target. We shall see if they reopen. In any case, I guess that's probably a good sign that it's selling well?

Only in USA then. It is still available for pre-order on the European Lego sites.

Just finished building the Ornithopter. Amazing set! Wat struck me is that the wings on the right side of the model are not completely straight and bend downwards a little. I think it has something to do with how the wing pieces are shaped. The wings on the left side are straighter because they are mirrored compared to the right side. Anyone else has this same problem?

While waiting for the arrival of my preordered set I downloaded the instructions to see how much work will be involved in removing internal color vomit - particularly the red and yellow parts visible from the outside of the completed model in the Technic wing mechanism. I already have enough spares to cover everything but the red ball-pins, which I bought in black months ago, but I still object to paying premium Lego prices for a model that has 120-odd parts in bright colors for no good reason, on a ship that is meant to be grey and black. An adult-targeted premium set like this shouldn't need this level of modification just to be displayable. I know it's done to make the build process easier for new builders, but the instructions these days are already very easy to follow, and it's going too far when the visual quality of the built model is compromised to this extent. That said, I'm very much looking forward to the build, which going by all reviews appears to be very sturdy with great functions.

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs

@BrickMonkeyMOCs I’ve been doing exactly the same thing. I’ve built it in Studio and now I’m going through working out the colour swaps. Red ball pins and axles first on the hit list but I’ve noticed some of the tan, lime and red pieces show from the internal structure too.

Remember it’s also about which bits are available in what colours for this years production too. Not just ease of build.

Edited by Seasider

On 2/10/2024 at 4:20 AM, Seasider said:

@BrickMonkeyMOCs I’ve been doing exactly the same thing. I’ve built it in Studio and now I’m going through working out the colour swaps. Red ball pins and axles first on the hit list but I’ve noticed some of the tan, lime and red pieces show from the internal structure too.

Remember it’s also about which bits are available in what colours for this years production too. Not just ease of build.

I swapped out all the red, yellow, and lime parts, plus the four orange tow ball/bars. You're right about production colors being a potential limitation, but that doesn't explain things like the lime parts and the 2L/6L axles here which are all already included in this very same set in far more suitable colors. On the positive side, the model looks really good with the parts swapped out, and the functions are some of the best I've ever seen.

9 hours ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

I swapped out all the red, yellow, and lime parts, plus the four orange tow ball/bars. You're right about production colors being a potential limitation, but that doesn't explain things like the lime parts and the 2L/6L axles here which are all already included in this very same set in far more suitable colors. On the positive side, the model looks really good with the parts swapped out, and the functions are some of the best I've ever seen.

So you didn’t go as far as removing as much tan, white and light grey as possible too? Wondered how visible some of that is through the mech.

Did you swap out the blue 3L pins too? Thankfully I’ve got a few of them already.

Could you post some photos of your recolour?

Edited by Seasider

Since so many reviews are out there, I noticed a problem with the wing blades being warped and drooping more on some parts than the other. So I wonder if this is a quality issue linked to a specific tool cavity number. Could you help in gathering some data to check this theory?
For the owners who already built this set please write down the numbers written on the blades next to 5240 and the level of pre-bending like this:

5240   07-HN01 - no / little / medium / strong bend
8NIUcvD.png

This just doesn't look good and it's not because the blades are too soft and gravity bends them down:
0tYnJUv.pngLEGO-Icons-10327-Dune-Atreides-Royal-Orn
fvTJUlO.png

Even the lifestyle pics on lego.com show the drooping blades:
240109_Design_brief_Article_assets_Proje

20 hours ago, Seasider said:

So you didn’t go as far as removing as much tan, white and light grey as possible too? Wondered how visible some of that is through the mech.

Did you swap out the blue 3L pins too? Thankfully I’ve got a few of them already.

Could you post some photos of your recolour?

The tan, white, and LBG are all fine. There's no need to make any changes there. I don't have many black 3L pins so I only replace those sparingly. Here I swapped out the two blue 3L pins in the front landing gear, and if I were to rebuild it I'd probably swap out the visible blue 3L pins in the lower front wing roots too (steps 113 & 114).

(There is definitely some consistent warping in the wing blades, but it is pretty minor and doesn't bother me.)

uJKFsp2.jpeg

I did a bit of work in studio on Sunday and I’m trying for the whole lot … how much can become black or DBG, is the challenge I’ve set myself.

Won’t be able to look at it this week, so I’ll be next before I pick it up again. Thankfully I have quite a large technic collection so black pins and axles aren’t a problem it’s more about buying plates.

im working on DBG for the cockpit back wall and side, black for underside plus anything deep inside the structure