Mandalorianknight

Dune 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

Dune is finally receiving a set with 10327 Ornithopter!

10327 is $150 with 1369 pieces, 4-5 minifigures, and an early November release.

If I had to guess, we'll get Paul Atrides, Duke Leto Atrides, Gurney Hallack, and Doctor Kynes to represent the main characters of that Ornithopter flight. 

The set is selling as part of the Icons theme, meaning it's unlikely to be meant for multiple sets, but if it sells well, maybe we will get more. Which is good, because even if we get a fifth figure, we'll still be missing all but one of Duncan Idaho, Stilgar, Chani, Lady Jessica, any villain, and any generic soldier.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

38 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

If I had to guess, we'll get Paul Atrides, Duke Leto Atrides, Gurney Hallack, and Doctor Kynes to represent the main characters of that Ornithopter flight. 

The set is selling as part of the Icons theme, meaning it's unlikely to be meant for multiple sets, but if it sells well, maybe we will get more. Which is good, because even if we get a fifth figure, we'll still be missing all but one of Duncan Idaho, Stilgar, Chani, Lady Jessica, any villain, and any generic soldier.

Ok, who had Dune on their 2023 Lego Bingo cards? I certainly didn't...

I hope it does the epic series justice. (or at least, better justice than the 1980's film version did to the books :tongue: )

Man, this came out of nowhere but I could not be more excited. I really dig this film. Hoping they pull this off. There are some amazing MOC ornithopters to compare to.

50 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Holy macaroni! Now that’s exciting :excited: Fingers crossed they won’t delay it if the movie gets pushed back

4-5 minifigs too?! Damn

Not to say I told you so, but... i told you so! :tongue:

the minifigure count is excellent too. They could easily have just put in Paul and another fig and called it a day. It's not enough for the main cast, or even the main Atrides cast, but I'm just happy we're getting dune in general, and that we're likely getting Leto and Gurney.

57 minutes ago, scottypavarotti said:

Man, this came out of nowhere but I could not be more excited. I really dig this film. Hoping they pull this off. There are some amazing MOC ornithopters to compare to.

Same here, at $150 they should be able to make something really special. Maybe if this does well, we could see more Dune later on.

1 hour ago, Murdoch17 said:

Ok, who had Dune on their 2023 Lego Bingo cards? I certainly didn't...

I hope it does the epic series justice. (or at least, better justice than the 1980's film version did to the books :tongue: )

I did! Between this, LOTR, the X-men, and Indy, I'm getting everything I ever could have dreamed of set-wise. If only Optimus had heralded a 2023 transformers theme...

But alas, it's not like I'm able to afford all this anyway. That said, the Ornithopter is going in my collection even if I have to sell someone's kidney for it. This in all likelihood is the only Dune set we'll ever get, I'm not passing up this chance.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The set is selling as part of the Icons theme, meaning it's unlikely to be meant for multiple sets

Perhaps it will be the flagship set of the theme (like with the Indy revival :grin:) with multiple smaller ones being revealed later. 

Every year I say, this is the year I'm going to catch up on what I missed in previous years. Then every year the list of amazing sets I'm going to have to skip gets longer.

Bowie, Eldorado Fortress, Ghost, Gunship, E-wing, Corvette, Concorde, Passenger Airplane, Ornithopter ... And that's just from 2023, just from Lego.

Then there's Enterprise NX-01, Enterprise-E, and Excelsior from Bluebrixx; and B-17, B-24, C-47, Red Arrows, and Eurofighter from Cobi ....

And my bills going up by about 200% besides ....

2 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Perhaps it will be the flagship set of the theme (like with the Indy revival :grin:) with multiple smaller ones being revealed later. 

Nope. It’s an Icons set, complete with a set number in the Icons range (10XXX). The Indy diorama on the other hand had a normal set number. (And “revival” should be put in the biggest quotes imaginable, but I digress :tongue:)

2 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

It’s an Icons set, complete with a set number in the Icons range (10XXX). The Indy diorama on the other hand had a normal set number.

Ah, I see. Haven't noticed the pattern before, thank ye! :pir-thumb:

2 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

And “revival” should be put in the biggest quotes imaginable, but I digress :tongue:

:pir-cry_sad: Indeed, but let us keep that conversation in the Indy topic. 

28 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Unlikely, given it's releasing in the Icons line, but there's always a chance.

23 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Nope. It’s an Icons set, complete with a set number in the Icons range (10XXX). The Indy diorama on the other hand had a normal set number. (And “revival” should be put in the biggest quotes imaginable, but I digress :tongue:)

“Given the right lever, you can move a planet.” There lies a chance, however slim, that we could change lego's minds by making this set a bestseller. I do honestly think lego's using some of these icons sets to test the waters for a larger theme. I've been guessing since the first rumblings about LOTR, Indy, etc, that one would be made into a full theme, and it's always possible that Dune is another possibility, slim is at may be in comparison. (Though saying all that, I'm still shocked Avatar got a full theme out the gate whilst Indy got a pitiful handful of sets and LORD OF THE RINGS of all things only got one.)

25 minutes ago, icm said:

Every year I say, this is the year I'm going to catch up on what I missed in previous years. Then every year the list of amazing sets I'm going to have to skip gets longer.

Bowie, Eldorado Fortress, Ghost, Gunship, E-wing, Corvette, Concorde, Passenger Airplane, Ornithopter ... And that's just from 2023, just from Lego.

Then there's Enterprise NX-01, Enterprise-E, and Excelsior from Bluebrixx; and B-17, B-24, C-47, Red Arrows, and Eurofighter from Cobi ....

And my bills going up by about 200% besides ....

Same here, man. My list is a little different, but the same in catching-up-iness. In rough order (Though I'll likely get some smaller ones than Rivendell even though it's higher on the list just due to the price):

Ornithopter, Ghost, Rivendell, No Way Home, Yavin, E-wing dogfight, Gunship, T-6 shuttle... man, even after all that I still want to scrounge up a decent figscale Slave One (Have UCS and the tiny 2021 version, but no system one) and buy some parts for some digital Mocs I'd like to make real.

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Wow!! Are we sure that this is real, and not just a misidentified UCS Wakandan Dragon Flyer? 
If this is legit, I am curious about the size; the Ornithopter is a fairly small craft, so $150 seems a bit high (even taking licensing fees into account - The Avengers Quinjet was only $100). Perhaps we are getting a black base, part of a Sandworm, and some trans-clear Technic parts to display the Ornithopter? 🤔

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

This makes sense, and would reduce the number of new prints needed (as all characters are wearing stillsuits during that scene). I wonder what hair will be used for Kynes (if she appears), since no existing part really fits. The other three would likely have reused pieces (this for Gurney, this or this for Leto, and this for Paul). 

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Wow!! Are we sure that this is real, and not just a misidentified UCS Wakandan Dragon Flyer? 
If this is legit, I am curious about the size; the Ornithopter is a fairly small craft, so $150 seems a bit high (even taking licensing fees into account - The Avengers Quinjet was only $100). Perhaps we are getting a black base, part of a Sandworm, and some trans-clear Technic parts to display the Ornithopter? 🤔

This makes sense, and would reduce the number of new prints needed (as all characters are wearing stillsuits during that scene). I wonder what hair will be used for Kynes (if she appears), since no existing part really fits. The other three would likely have reused pieces (this for Gurney, this or this for Leto, and this for Paul). 

It could also be a UCS ornithopter, in that it'd be actual figure scale as opposed to system scale.

I agree about both of those. My guess is we get a new torso and leg print for the stillsuit, maybe a slightly different one for Kynes, and a new face print or two for Paul or Leto, with re-uses for the others. As for Kynes, they can always give her a stillsuit hood if they don't want to expend a new mold.

8 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

“Given the right lever, you can move a planet.” There lies a chance, however slim, that we could change lego's minds by making this set a bestseller. I do honestly think lego's using some of these icons sets to test the waters for a larger theme. I've been guessing since the first rumblings about LOTR, Indy, etc, that one would be made into a full theme, and it's always possible that Dune is another possibility, slim is at may be in comparison. (Though saying all that, I'm still shocked Avatar got a full theme out the gate whilst Indy got a pitiful handful of sets and LORD OF THE RINGS of all things only got one.)

LOTR and Dune are different in the sense that Dune has just had media in cinemas and will have again when this is out, whereas LOTR doesn't. This is important when you consider development time. If LEGO believe Dune sales are due to movie tie-ins, then follow-ups will be too late as the movies are long gone by the time they design and manufacture new sets. Whereas LOTR sales are based on a fanbase when there is no current movie, so is likely to be more stable in numbers.

10 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Hey, if this new one doesn’t have Sting we’re gonna have some real problems here

In any case, I’m curious, I don’t know how big this is gonna be. I’d have estimated that it needed at max like an $80 set, but this could be just really detailed. 

Dune is right up there with the novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs as being one of the fathers of science fiction as we know it today.

I cannot believe we’re getting this set, talk about a brilliant way to wrap up the year! Plus with the indication of minifigures  and the piece count, this looks to be a minifigure-scaled set which is perfect (give me a highly detailed minifigure scaled version of an iconic vehicle over an oversized display-only piece any day of the week).

Agree with you all that the minifigure lineup is based on the scene from the film / book where Paul, Leto, Gurney, and Liet-Kynes go to inspect the Spice Harvesters. I can envisage Jessica, Stilgar, Chani, or even a Harkonnen occupying the fifth slot, but let’s see.

Just incredibly happy this is going to be a thing. Lego may have had some missteps this year, but they’ve been smashing it for the most part.

4 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

Just incredibly happy this is going to be a thing. Lego may have had some missteps this year, but they’ve been smashing it for the most part.

Indeed. Despite some hiccups (*death glare at empty shelves where more Indy sets were supposed to go*), 2023 has been my favourite LEGO year by a wide margin. While individual themes have done better in previous years (2020 for Harry Potter for instance), the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Between the Disney 100 sets, the No Way Home set, Marvel CMF S2, the Ahsoka sets, LOTR and Indy returning, Gringotts, the Battle of Hogwarts, the JP 30th anniversary stuff, the (sort-of) return of DC, solid offerings for Minecraft, Mario, and Avatar, the debut of the Sonic theme, and now the Dune set, there is no way 2023 wouldn’t take the crown. 2024 has a lot to live up to :laugh:

But why make only one set, even an Icons one? It literally makes no sense! There's literally no other theme that's more suite for a full wave. They even made a full wave out of the Avatar movies.

29 minutes ago, Pop Star c o said:

But why make only one set, even an Icons one? It literally makes no sense! There's literally no other theme that's more suite for a full wave. They even made a full wave out of the Avatar movies.

Testing the waters?

35 minutes ago, Pop Star c o said:

It makes sense. Look at Transformers, LOTR, Pac-Man sets. I think Dune is more fitting for adult fans.  I’m okay with it. 

15 hours ago, Pop Star c o said:

15 hours ago, hikouki said:

Testing the waters?

That, and the fact that basically everything in Dune is so massive that LEGO renditions would have to be severely underscaled. This can work for Star Wars, as the vehicles have iconic shapes, but Dune’s vehicles and structures have a very brutalist, geometric, design that would be difficult to translate into playscale (or even UCS scale) sets. 

On 7/29/2023 at 12:25 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

I agree about both of those. My guess is we get a new torso and leg print for the stillsuit, maybe a slightly different one for Kynes, and a new face print or two for Paul or Leto, with re-uses for the others. 

My guess is dark grey and black for Paul/Leto/Gurney, and light grey printed over tan for Kynes. Paul can get by with a reused head, but the other three need new prints. 

As for Kynes, they can always give her a stillsuit hood if they don't want to expend a new mold.

That would honestly be worse than a poorly-reused hairpiece, since stillsuit hoods are so form-fitting that the only way to make them would be either via a printed head (ew!) or a pair of new moulds for the mask and hood (though the Dragons Rising hood could be used). I suspect that the masks will either be printed on the reverse of the heads, or just on the torsos to represent them hanging down (which is scene-accurate, if the set is based on the harvester scene). 

It could also be a UCS ornithopter, in that it'd be actual figure scale as opposed to system scale.

Maybe, but I really think that a chunk of desert needs to be included; as with Avatar, the environment and landscape of Dune plays such a significant role in the story and visuals that excluding it would make the set feel oddly incomplete. 

5 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

That would honestly be worse than a poorly-reused hairpiece, since stillsuit hoods are so form-fitting that the only way to make them would be either via a printed head (ew!) or a pair of new moulds for the mask and hood (though the Dragons Rising hood could be used). I suspect that the masks will either be printed on the reverse of the heads, or just on the torsos to represent them hanging down (which is scene-accurate, if the set is based on the harvester scene). 

What about the hood they use for Miles figs? It's much thinner.

5 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Maybe, but I really think that a chunk of desert needs to be included; as with Avatar, the environment and landscape of Dune plays such a significant role in the story and visuals that excluding it would make the set feel oddly incomplete. 

It could be nice, but Avatar had very unique and interesting plantlife and environments. Dune, (despite being a much, MUCH better film IMO), just has a desert. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'd take more ornithopter over some tan plates and tiles any day.

Now if they had the sandworm coming out of the desert, that'd be a different story, but I don't think you could get a 4-seater ornithopter, desert, and any meaningful amount of sandworm into a $150 set without the sandworm being tiny.

It's possible the ornithopter will only seat one or two, to allow larger side builds. That's what they did with the RDA Samson helicopter in the Avatar sets, and that was $100, ~800p.

37 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

What about the hood they use for Miles figs? It's much thinner.

That would work if the mask is printed, but the only way to do the mask as a print and avoid the weird exposed neck is to use a black/dark bley head. It would be great if we got both masked and unmasked heads for the characters, but I doubt that LEGO is going to make eight new heads for this set! 🫤

41 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Now if they had the sandworm coming out of the desert, that'd be a different story, but I don't think you could get a 4-seater ornithopter, desert, and any meaningful amount of sandworm into a $150 set without the sandworm being tiny.

I am imagining a rectangular diorama based on the harvester scene with just the corner of a sandworm at one edge, then dunes and clear parts to mount the ornithopter on the rest of the plate; the quote could be Kynes’ “Bless the Maker and His water. . .”. 

38 minutes ago, icm said:

It's possible the ornithopter will only seat one or two, to allow larger side builds. That's what they did with the RDA Samson helicopter in the Avatar sets, and that was $100, ~800p.

If they are going to cut the size down that much, then they could just make the small two-seat ‘thopter instead of scaling down the Atreides one. Also, what would the side-builds be that are both substantial enough to take up a large portion of the set, but also small enough to to be included alongside a decently-sized vehicle? 

I don't want to get my hopes up in any realistic way but this Dune news feels like it moves me just one step closer to my white whale of an official LEGO Blade Runner spinner set. I am probably still grasping at straws for that one though….

2 hours ago, scottypavarotti said:

I don't want to get my hopes up in any realistic way but this Dune news feels like it moves me just one step closer to my white whale of an official LEGO Blade Runner spinner set. I am probably still grasping at straws for that one though….

Unlikely; both Blade Runner movies are rated R (Dune is PG-13). 🫤

Edited by Classic_Spaceman