RedBrick1

LEGO #21344 - Orient Express

Even as a total train noob i can see that the proportions are a bit off in this set. I guess you can ask random people an the street and they will tell you the same. The cars look massive compared to that lil' switcher locomotive :laugh:, but still, overall i love the set and the cars are simply beautiful :wub: and i am 100% getting this set and it will be my first and only set in this price range. The color scheme is perfect.

Edited by Yperio_Bricks

The cars look amazing (and have opening doors !), but the locomotive looks like it doesn't belong in this set. It doesn't remind me of anything that would pull the Orient Express.

Like many others, I'm tired of being 'thankfull' that LEGO gives us a train, even tough the design is off. I have a feeling there will be many locomotives and tenders up for grabs in a few weeks/months.

3 hours ago, KvadratGnezdo said:

I'm just going to say that LEGO for some reason cant get their poop together when it comes to steam trains. First the gigantic Hogwarts Express and now this toyetic nonsence. Star wars guys tore Lego a new one when it tried to sell them a playset as a UCS, this is basically the same. Like come on, this thing doesn't even have a smokebox and the proportions are all wrong.

2 hours ago, samsz_3 said:

Yeah - I also really don't like the lack of a smoke box. I think I'll add one when I extend the locomotive.

Ok. And here I thought that the black part is the smokebox.

If it is not the smokebox, what is it then?

@Yperio_Bricks Regarding the length of the locomotive? It is too long, vs the passenger cars. The passenger cars, should be noticeable longer than that locomotive + tender,

1 hour ago, lego3057 said:

The locomotive looks small, but it´s not that small in the end. I also think they based it on https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/230_PO_4201_à_4370

The lenght of the real one compared to the Lego one seems to be a confirmation.

I think very loosely based, even more than Maersk/EN/Horizon.

I think it's fine not to be based on a prototype, but this doesn't even look like a generic SNCF steam engine. If it has a smoke box, was dark green, and had smoke deflectors, then I could start to buy it.

2 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Ok. And here I thought that the black part is the smokebox.

If it is not the smokebox, what is it then?

@Yperio_Bricks Regarding the length of the locomotive? It is too long, vs the passenger cars. The passenger cars, should be noticeable longer than that locomotive + tender,

Apologies, you are right! I meant firebox (been a long week).

For those who aren't aware - alot of European steam locomotives have a distinct more squared off part of the boiler next to the cab where the firebox is.

@samsz_3 Ahh, yeah, Belpare firebox, on the SNCF 230's.

In Sweden, most seem to be Round-topped, or Pacific-type's.

This, might rather have a Round-topped firebox, than the originals Belpare firebox.

Well, IF this is inpsired by SNCF 230's.

Edited by Shiva

18 minutes ago, Shiva said:

As i have said, i am a noob when it comes to trains, but when i google for pictures of model trains of the Orient Express i find pictures with various longer and bigger locomotives (locomotive + tender longer than a passenger car) and they look more visually pleasing proportion wise. But as i have said, i will get the train 100% because it is such a beautiful set overall!

No locomotive hauled the Orient Express.

Every locomotive hauled the Orient Express.

Then, as now, Orient Express are only concerned with the train and not the locomotive. They will have a contract with the various railways over whose metals they operate to provide suitable motive power for the service and it was up to the railways in question to roster whatever equipment they had available to the train. Obviously in most instances the railway companies would want to reflect the prestige of the service so they wouldn't use a ratty old freight engine unless there was nothing better available. So you can take any route you like and have free choice from the various express passenger locomotives used by any of the countries through which the Orient Express passed.

Personally I don't think that TLG has necessarily based their design on anything specific, but rather given us a generic design based on their previous offerings because, to most people, all steam locos look the same. They're not going to know the difference between a French or an Austrian design. I imagine that this may be the trade-off that permits two passenger cars, as a larger more accurate loco would push the parts count up, taking the price with it, which could put off the casual buyer or non-train interested builder.

1 hour ago, Hod Carrier said:

Then, as now, Orient Express are only concerned with the train and not the locomotive. They will have a contract with the various railways over whose metals they operate to provide suitable motive power for the service and it was up to the railways in question to roster whatever equipment they had available to the train. Obviously in most instances the railway companies would want to reflect the prestige of the service so they wouldn't use a ratty old freight engine unless there was nothing better available. So you can take any route you like and have free choice from the various express passenger locomotives used by any of the countries through which the Orient Express passed.

Personally I don't think that TLG has necessarily based their design on anything specific, but rather given us a generic design based on their previous offerings because, to most people, all steam locos look the same. They're not going to know the difference between a French or an Austrian design. I imagine that this may be the trade-off that permits two passenger cars, as a larger more accurate loco would push the parts count up, taking the price with it, which could put off the casual buyer or non-train interested builder.

The design is based on SNCF 230.G.353.FAGPoiE.jpg

The color choice takes inspiration from this image of the same class.

230GNPO34_700.jpg

4 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

Then, as now, Orient Express are only concerned with the train and not the locomotive. 

You are correct, but why did LEGO choose this very generic locomotive design? Since the initial entry was clearly based off something French, why not make something French? 

They have chosen a very specific train (well, not a train, but a company) to represent, whynot go 'all in'. 

Edited by *thomas*

Didn't find a blueprint for the 230 G but this Wabash 4-6-0 number 713 is pretty much the same length as our LEGO engine here. So stop whining.
SqYqTKN.png

The reason LEGO probably chose this generic engine is because Orient Express is also focused on the luxury carriages.

All the snippy back and forth regarding the locomotive is getting tired.

Edited by CDM

1 hour ago, R0Sch said:

So stop whining.
SqYqTKN.png

The reason LEGO probably chose this generic engine is because Orient Express is also focused on the luxury carriages.

1) Critiquing a design is not whining. We're all, supposedly, bakers here - we can comment on their cake.

2) Wrong continent and era.

5 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

As i have said, i am a noob when it comes to trains, but when i google for pictures of model trains of the Orient Express i find pictures with various longer and bigger locomotives (locomotive + tender longer than a passenger car) and they look more visually pleasing proportion wise. But as i have said, i will get the train 100% because it is such a beautiful set overall!

If you have checked H0 model trains, then atleast some makers, shorten the passenger cars. I think I read somewhere that 1:100 in scale length, vs the locomotives 1:87.

@LordsofMedieval It would be nice, if there somewhere, would be a list of locomotives that have been used with the Orient Express passenger cars. Even if it would be country based.

2 minutes ago, Shiva said:

It would be nice, if there somewhere, would be a list of locomotives that have been used with the Orient Express passenger cars. Even if it would be country based. 

Do you speak German?
:wink:

1 minute ago, Shiva said:

If you have checked H0 model trains, then atleast some makers, shorten the passenger cars. I think I read somewhere that 1:100 in scale length, vs the locomotives 1:87.

I might do that as well and shorten the passenger cars by one or two windows. Have to see the locomotive in person first and then see how it turns out :thumbup:

2 hours ago, R0Sch said:

So LEGO thinks we would whine about the carriages if they made a decent locomotive? ;) 

The Emerald Night would probably look really good pulling these train cars.

Shame I don't have mine anymore, but still; I know a few years ago you could build an alternate color emerald night pretty cheaply, and I wouldn't be surprised if a dark blue one was fairly cheap. 

7 minutes ago, Shiva said:

@Yperio_Bricks Or, just mod the locomotive, to be a bit longer? One axle more of driving wheels? Or maybe add an axle of trailing wheels?

Yes, that would also be an option. Have to see which parts are involved and if i can do it. As i have said earlier, i am a total train noob who just fell in love with the set :laugh: I also need to see in person how big such a passengar car is in comparison with a modular sized building. Looking forward to get the set :thumbup:

Glenn Holland and I have prepared a joint statement regarding our thoughts on this set, the design changes, and trying to bring a rational viewpoint to quite frankly... the nastiest reception I've ever seen for a Lego Train set. 

3 minutes ago, ToledoRails said:

Glenn Holland and I have prepared a joint statement regarding our thoughts on this set, the design changes, and trying to bring a rational viewpoint to quite frankly... the nastiest reception I've ever seen for a Lego Train set. 

This is a pretty good video. 

Not fair to say that this is the nastiest reception, you should have saw the reactions to 4561 and 4559 as followups to the metroliner. 

Man I feel old that was almost 30 years ago. 

10 minutes ago, ToledoRails said:

Decent rebuttal. Even the recent 10-wide Hogwarts Express got worse feedback I feel. LEGO's mea culpa with the 20% off sale shortly after its release spoke volumes. I think the engine is acceptable as a starting point. It will be undoubtedly modded by many, including myself.

I wonder how many copies will be sold for the extra carriages and the locomotives sold for scrap?