Ts__

[MOC] SVT 137 225 Bauart "Hamburg"

In the course of December, I stumbled across the Flying Hamburger while reading Wikipedia every day. The railcar train is of course a perfect match for my streamlined locomotives: time and origin fits. However, there is only a remnant of the Flying Hamburger in Nuremberg DB museum and I prefer to build complete museum locomotives.

Also, I was not happy with the look of the "Flying Hamburger" and the small, deep-drawn front windows. However, further research revealed that after the prototype, 13 railcar trains of the "Hamburg" type were built and also in regular service. These had a more beautiful front for me and are simply a classic. And one of them is completely preserved as a museum train in Leipzig's main station. Perfect ;-)

The original is perfect in shape for a Lego conversion, so go for it ;-)

SVT 137 225

Sure, I needed the one or other attempt in studio or with stones, but quite quickly I came to the feeling: yes, it works.

SVT 137 225

An exciting topic was the transition between the two halves of the train. I wanted them as close together as possible.
The solution was then a variation of an idea from @Hod Carrier.

He had presented a kind of close coupling with trapeze and I adapted this principle to my place and size. There was still help in the Dr. Brick Forum from Mick.
With the close coupling the two units can drive very close together through R104 curves / switches.
But the limitation to R104 is in the boogies, the coupler could run smaller radii with a different design.

Kurzkupplung

The interior design was also exciting. I didn't want to use the Lego molding for a seat, since wing chairs were in use in the original.

So I built myself wing chairs. Per seat only 14 parts.... ;-)

SVT 137 225 V25 Sitze

Built are just over 2700 Lego parts
Drive 2x Lego PU CityHUB
2x Lego PU train motor
Light and stickers are self-made
No foreign parts from other manufacturers used

Working front and rear lights, automatically matching the direction of travel

SVT 137 225

Interior lighting:

SVT 137 225

Since I wanted a rigid fairing, the minimum curve radius is R104:

SVT 137 225

Last weekend at the exhibition in Wörrstadt/Germany the SVT had the first opportunity for a real ride:

Have fun watching!

Thomas

Edited by Ts__

Another magnificent build. The colors and details are phenomenal. Even the care in building the coupling system for R104 is great.

Thanks for showing your "Hamburger" here on Eurobricks. Luckily I was able to spot this genius model live at Wörrstadt 2023 :-)

I would bet interested in the wiring diagram and the electronics to build the lights witch react on the driving direction of the motors. What Jim's of components do I need? Where can I buy them? Such technical insights might help many train builders here who wants to improve their models.

Best regards, Holger

Thanks at all!

5 minutes ago, HoMa said:

I would bet interested in the wiring diagram and the electronics to build the lights witch react on the driving direction of the motors. What Jim's of components do I need? Where can I buy them? Such technical insights might help many train builders here who wants to improve their models.

I first used the principle on my V100.4 and completely disclosed it there as well: (Video is in german, sorry for english readers. But the ciruit plan is in all languages the same ;-)  )

It should be noted that the value of the necessary resistors depends strongly on the voltages used and also on the type of LEDs. You should first try something like this on a plug-in board until it works and then solder it.

The components are standard electronic parts, nothing special. The cost of all components is perhaps a 1 euro total. Orderable at any good electronics store, in Germany e.g. Reichelt.de.

Thomas

Thank you *thomas* and GoHabsGo....

On 5/6/2023 at 3:19 PM, HoMa said:

sharing this great explaination video!

No problem. if you have more questions, you can also contact me in Dr. Brick Forum in German.

Thomas

Very nice!  Looks like a lot of Harry Potter three-decker buses sacrificed themselves to help build your Hamburger!  :laugh:

On 5/6/2023 at 10:52 AM, Ts__ said:

But the ciruit plan is in all languages the same

Ohhh - niiiiice! Two RS-FF using discrete elements - it does not get any better. I truly love this.

Thank you very much for sharing!

All the best,
Thorsten

Thank you for the very generous name-check. I like how you’ve developed the coupling concept and made it work for you.

But I especially like the beautiful railcar you have built. It’s a real visual delight and a joy to watch in motion. Congratulations on yet another spectacular build.

Beautiful model ...the shape is all curves and perfection! :wub::wub:
Purple is my favorite color so this train enters the Olympus of masterpieces ... as well as your previous models! :excited:
Amazing video of the train in action! :thumbup:

Thank you guys!

On 5/9/2023 at 2:38 AM, ivanlan9 said:

Looks like a lot of Harry Potter three-decker buses sacrificed themselves to help build your Hamburger! 

Not one ;-) But can be that some parts come from this set.

On 5/9/2023 at 10:06 PM, Toastie said:

Two RS-FF using discrete elements - it does not get any better.

Thx. I had also thought more complicated at first and even wanted to use a small Atmel Tiny. But in the end KISS won: Kepp it simply, stupid.....

On 5/10/2023 at 4:08 PM, Hod Carrier said:

Thank you for the very generous name-check.

That is important to me. The idea came from you and my conversion is based on your work. I can't just say: everything is self-made ;-)

On 5/10/2023 at 4:08 PM, Hod Carrier said:

But I especially like the beautiful railcar you have built.

Thank you. The railcar should also fit into your favored time, just from the wrong country.

On 5/10/2023 at 8:49 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Purple is my favorite color so this train enters the Olympus of masterpieces .

Thank you also. The color is already something special. First very strange, but once you've worked with it longer, you love it. And the model has become such an eye-catcher.

22 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

the shape is absolutely perfect.

Thx. But who knows: in a few years with new parts you can maybe build it even better. Or someone has better ideas...

Thomas

Today there was an opportunity for a few special photos.....

SVT 137 225 Bhf Leipzig

SVT 137 225 Bhf Leipzig

SVT 137 225 Bhf Leipzig

And of course I already see again small ideas for rebuilding.....
.... but nothing wild yet, just details^^

Thomas

21 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

I love this kind of photos

I also love such photos and now I finally had the opportunity to create such photos myself.
My fleet consists primarily of existing museum locomotives and yet I do not often get to.

21 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

however, the lego model is more beautiful than the real one!

The real one is very dirty and would have to be cleaned urgently. The train is publicly accessible on the museum track in Leipzig Central Station, but it is not a museum. There are just a few old locomotives parked there.

Thank you both so much!

Thomas

Yet another complex build, with very attractive colors, and of course an impressive recreation of the prototype. Great job!

Thank you very much. But there are only a few bricks stacked on top of each other ;-)

Thomas