Hello all, I would like to share with you my most recent model. It is currently digital, but a physical build will be coming soon (with instructions).

UP #844 is one of the most iconic locomotives that has ever graced the main line. Both powerful and elegant, she has captured the attention and imagination of railfans since her delivery to Union Pacific in December of 1944.

#844 was the last steam locomotive delivered to UP and the only steam locomotive of any American Class 1 railroad that has never been retired. She has seen revenue and excursion service for over 78 years. During this time, she has had several modifications and upgrades. Some minor, such as a livery change and some major such as a Worthington SA feedwater heater added around 1955.

For this build, I wanted to capture her essence and model her as she would have appeared in April of 1949. A careful eye will note several key features: by this time she was modified to be oil burning, a mars light had been installed, she was still using the Sellers exhaust steam injector and she wore the two-tone gray paint scheme in Harbor Mist Gray and Armour Yellow.

This model is 8-wide, 1:48 scale and displays #844 as she would have been seen while pulling the Overland Limited, Los Angeles Limited or Portland Rose in April of 1949. #844 represents the absolute apex of duel-service steam and I want this model to represent nothing less. It is powered by two large power function motors with a 3:5 gear ratio so that she has both high tractive effort and can travel at high speed.

Next step…building the instructions and ordering parts!

52758210034_ce81b8ae9a_o.jpg

52758210039_5725f606a4_o.jpg

52757961246_9367472369_o.jpg

52758368515_b2c6ab6539_o.jpg

52757422512_7d53967abd_o.jpg

On 3/20/2023 at 12:25 PM, JopieK said:

Very nice @AbleChristopher. Thanks for sharing and keep us updated :)

Thank you! Yes will do, hopefully a post of the physical build soon.

On 3/20/2023 at 1:02 PM, Darkkostas25 said:

Great engine you made! Slick and sick(in a good way)!

Much appreciated! I love your TTG challenger, I can't believe we both had these projects brewing away at the same time.

On 3/20/2023 at 1:13 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow what a gigantic piece of art! :wub_drool:
The 3D wheels with that typical design are the icing on the cake for an already perfect model! :thumbup:

Kind words, I was fortunate to find a boxpok 3D file. The physical model will hopefully have different counterweight sizes too.

Edited by AbleChristopher

Gorgeous work, look forward to seeing it in bricks! I'd be a customer if you were interested in selling instructions.

3 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Brilliant! Gorgeously done, and well detailed from the valve gear to the cab controls.

Very kind, thank you!

2 hours ago, bogieman said:

Gorgeous work, look forward to seeing it in bricks! I'd be a customer if you were interested in selling instructions.

Yes me too, draft instructions are in progress, physical build hopefully coming soon. Yes, I will be selling instructions...stay tuned!

Wow, AbleChristopher, what a beautiful engine that you created. I like the old steam locomotives a lot. I can't wait to see this model being build. And I'm very curious about you building instructions. After I've read your post, I looked around with Google and found some nice pictures. I believe they called this one ”Greyhound” isn't it?

Hope to see more 🚂 soon! 🫡👍

10 hours ago, Vliebricker said:

Wow, AbleChristopher, what a beautiful engine that you created. I like the old steam locomotives a lot. I can't wait to see this model being build. And I'm very curious about you building instructions. After I've read your post, I looked around with Google and found some nice pictures. I believe they called this one ”Greyhound” isn't it?

Hope to see more 🚂 soon! 🫡👍

Thank you @Vliebricker! Yes that is correct, the official name is "two-tone gray" and it was a paint scheme used by UP during the 1940's until 1952 when a directive ordered all locomotives back to black. While the scheme of gray and yellow was very short lived, it made an eternal impact on the rail community. So much so that they repainted 844 (then named 8444) in two-tone gray once again in the mid 80s, commonly referred to as the greyhound scheme.

First off I would like to say that model is absolutely beautiful. Absolutely stunning and capturing ever small detail, even down to using the correct wheel set and the Grey Hound livery, which is rare to see, even in the world of model trains. Wondering what the gear drivetrain pieces are used to get the 3:5 ratio. And the hypothetical weigh it can pull at certain speeds. I will definitely be on the look out for when the instructions are released. As this would be a perfect candidate for a passenger consist. Cheers.

Yes indeed, an amazing build (I didn't want to bump this thread when I was catching up last month but since it's here I'm in). Any updates on building it in real bricks?

On 8/3/2023 at 4:41 PM, Mattie305 said:

First off I would like to say that model is absolutely beautiful. Absolutely stunning and capturing ever small detail, even down to using the correct wheel set and the Grey Hound livery, which is rare to see, even in the world of model trains. Wondering what the gear drivetrain pieces are used to get the 3:5 ratio. And the hypothetical weigh it can pull at certain speeds. I will definitely be on the look out for when the instructions are released. As this would be a perfect candidate for a passenger consist. Cheers.

Thank you @Mattie305! Historically dating her to the spring of 1949 was difficult but I am confident that I pulled it off correctly. I am using a 20 tooth technic gear as the drive gear which connects to a 12 tooth technic gear as the driven gear. (Driven/drive = gear ratio -> 12/20 = 3:5 ratio). As far as weight and speed goes...I wish I knew! I will only have a good idea once I put her together.

On 8/5/2023 at 10:32 AM, zephyr1934 said:

Yes indeed, an amazing build (I didn't want to bump this thread when I was catching up last month but since it's here I'm in). Any updates on building it in real bricks?

No updates as of yet, I was moments from making the big order when a couple (good) life events popped up. It's killing me but I will have to put off the part order for a little while longer. I am a geologist and caught in the summer rush of field projects. Fall and winter will come soon...then I am hoping to begin the build, testing, rebuild, retesting and finally...final instructions.

If there is a silver lining its that this will give me time to fully flush out the decals with Monty's Trains so that each instruction set will also come with a digital file of all the decals. I have a copy of the plans for the locomotive including lettering and numbering...cant let that go to waste!

On 8/5/2023 at 10:32 AM, zephyr1934 said:

On second thoughts Zephyr...I think I've delayed long enough. I'll order the parts this weekend, progress will be slow this time of year, but at least it will get started. Thanks for the motivation!

I imagine that would be quite an expensive shopping list of parts needed in order to build the loco as per the pictures, still quite an impressive beast of a model.

55 minutes ago, 508001 said:

I imagine that would be quite an expensive shopping list of parts needed in order to build the loco as per the pictures, still quite an impressive beast of a model.

Thanks! I've done all I can do keep the part count low, all the internal pieces will be colored purple indicating you can use any color you wish...but yes at this tier I think all models get a bit expensive if you aren't sourcing from your own supply. Worth it in my opinion!

On 10/9/2023 at 3:29 PM, Mattie305 said:

One month later, how is the model coming along? Or could we expect instructions soon?

All parts are in and the build is underway!

53304522810_233c72379c_o.jpg

I may eventually buy this particular set of instructions - even if I designed my own I doubt I'll be able to top this beauty of yours @AbleChristopher!  I've got a Rivarossi H0 scale greyhound so would love to have a LEGO version - one of my dreams is to build a full Overland Limited greyhound paint scheme consist with the big FEF-3 to head it.  I've got a five coach H0 scale consist - five coaches L-Scale would look amazing stood next to that.

1 hour ago, Vilhelm22 said:

I may eventually buy this particular set of instructions - even if I designed my own I doubt I'll be able to top this beauty of yours @AbleChristopher!  I've got a Rivarossi H0 scale greyhound so would love to have a LEGO version - one of my dreams is to build a full Overland Limited greyhound paint scheme consist with the big FEF-3 to head it.  I've got a five coach H0 scale consist - five coaches L-Scale would look amazing stood next to that.

Much appreciated @Vilhelm22! I am quite happy with it so far, I am building her exactly as she would have been in April of 1949 at 1:48 scale. A full greyhound Overland Limited consist would be incredible! I hope to see that of yours someday.

53334355343_9db791b756_o.jpg

Model is looking really good so far. Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but what motor (s) are being used to power this model?

4 hours ago, Mattie305 said:

Model is looking really good so far. Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but what motor (s) are being used to power this model?

It will be powered by two large PF motors within the boiler.

On 11/15/2023 at 6:14 PM, AbleChristopher said:

Much appreciated @Vilhelm22! I am quite happy with it so far, I am building her exactly as she would have been in April of 1949 at 1:48 scale. A full greyhound Overland Limited consist would be incredible! I hope to see that of yours someday.

53334355343_9db791b756_o.jpg

The locomotive is now really coming together!  I can't wait for the instructions to arrive, however long that may take (I can't build it for a few years with what money I've got anyway!)

I've developed a fascination for the Overland Limited and the Greyhound paint scheme (despite being British) since my cousin inherited his grandfather's Rivarossi H0 scale Overland Limited (as mentioned above), which though small and not 100% accurate, had captured my eye for its beauty and grandeur, and in my mind what trains still 'should be'.  I've planned out several floor plans and exterior window alignments to fit with the different room layouts (such as for a 10-6 sleeper, a 4-4-2 sleeper, or a coach) but my real weakness I think is with the undercarriage, where my skills are lacking.  

Anyway, I can't wait to see this really pull together into the real thing!  

What are you charging for instructions for MOCs like these?

Edited by Vilhelm22

On 11/22/2023 at 9:00 AM, Vilhelm22 said:

The locomotive is now really coming together!  I can't wait for the instructions to arrive, however long that may take (I can't build it for a few years with what money I've got anyway!)

I've developed a fascination for the Overland Limited and the Greyhound paint scheme (despite being British) since my cousin inherited his grandfather's Rivarossi H0 scale Overland Limited (as mentioned above), which though small and not 100% accurate, had captured my eye for its beauty and grandeur, and in my mind what trains still 'should be'.  I've planned out several floor plans and exterior window alignments to fit with the different room layouts (such as for a 10-6 sleeper, a 4-4-2 sleeper, or a coach) but my real weakness I think is with the undercarriage, where my skills are lacking.  

Anyway, I can't wait to see this really pull together into the real thing!  

what are you charging for instructions for MOCs like these?

I'm not yet sure. One of my "building beliefs" is to have instructions be available to as many folks as possible while also helping offset the cost of the initial build. My other instructions are $25 each, so somewhere around there is reasonable to expect.

11 hours ago, SD100 said:

@AbleChristopher Once this is complete, you gotta let us know if you're gonna be running it at any shows. I'd love to see that thing on a layout.

SD

I hope to run it at Bricks Cascade next year, so I have got to hurry and get this thing put together and started on its trial runs! https://www.brickscascade.com/