BrickJagger

Lego Icons 10332 Medieval Town Square Discussion Thread

I'll pick up some of the bonnets, the boy's tan torso and maybe some goats (depends on the price tag) from PAB.

All is revealed finally. LOL lego must had waited an extra day on purpose at this rate. I think it;s funny lego put the pirate moustache on the lion knight, I did this back when LCK becase I had extra moustaches laying around and thought it was a good idea.

I was sold on this set when it was announced but I’m happy to finally see this come to fruition! 

Edited by eldiano

Fairly good set. The minifigs are great though they could have added a knight and a forest woman.

I did expect a bit more advanced building techniques for the facades and roofs, since this is an Icons set. A bit more similar to the facade design and timberwork from the Medieval Blacksmith set. So, I'll definately get one and then hope that the minifig parts and prints turn up in the PAB store online.

Btw it is up on the DK website, so I reckon it is up everywhere:

https://www.lego.com/da-dk/product/medieval-town-square-10332

30 minutes ago, HotdogBricks said:

Tiago Catarino has posted a video review!

Interesting. It isn't a review. It's actually a reveal by the designer.

When he was asked if the parts were printed, he said, "Too many stickers, I'd say." I guess the designer feels the same way as the rest of us.

He also said this is the first queen's shield they've made. What makes it a queen's shield? Why did the queen's shield in 10305 not count?

9 minutes ago, Follows Closely said:

I love the crashing Goat market!

And the wanted "Jedi Bob" confirmation. :))

10 minutes ago, jodawill said:

He also said this is the first queen's shield they've made. What makes it a queen's shield? Why did the queen's shield in 10305 not count?

Because it's more fancy and extravagant. The other shields are for the common troops.

10 minutes ago, jodawill said:

Interesting. It isn't a review. It's actually a reveal by the designer.

When he was asked if the parts were printed, he said, "Too many stickers, I'd say." I guess the designer feels the same way as the rest of us.

Who are the designers? Must wait until I get home to see it 😅 I am glad I was not there because I could not have hidden my shock that all the animals was missing 🙈

You know, this set would benefit greatly from smaller sets. The designer said that the boy’s family was out, all I’m thinking is the other houses that were seen in the prototype could be sold as individual houses to expand this set or even just a starter set for 19.99 like a tree with the “boy’s” family and more animals like the house or cow. 

The designer literally said they could only do what LEGO could approve, so..

3 minutes ago, eldiano said:

The designer literally said they could only do what LEGO could approve, so..

Which video is that? It's hard to keep up with all the stuff :pir-grin:

54 minutes ago, jolobas said:

A video has been posted by Tiago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrNO6fHtHOE

2 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Which video is that? It's hard to keep up with all the stuff :pir-grin:

That video, it’s not a review, but the press reveal from lego, he explains the set in depth a lot better than the website! 

3 minutes ago, eldiano said:

That video, it’s not a review, but the press reveal from lego, he explains the set in depth a lot better than the website! 

Thank ye! :pir-huzzah2:

£200 is better than I had feared, that livestock cull must've saved them some coins.

You know, not to be a stickler for accuracy, but did we really need a modern painters' palette? They're probably about 200 years off there.

medieval-self-portraits-e1430932925781.j

how long until the parts for this new set will be available on pick-a-brick? If they will be made available.

Looking into some of the hands-on videos popping up on Youtube... I think my attitude has improved a bit. The buildings look good in both their "open" and "closed" forms, and there are a lot of little details throughout the sets (a beard for the bird nest, a chessboard, lots of mugs in roofs, etc). The stickered pieces are all very detailed - but I do have to take off points due to how many stickers there are. Also, whenever the designer would talk about how "Mom and Dad left to get a cow," I do feel like something is missing in this final design. Adding in that cow and another minifig or two would help things feel more lively. I'm also still not a fan of the tree - I think a smaller message board and a well would have taken up the same number or pieces and fulfilled a roughly similar role and looked way better.

Also, Just2Good's hands-on noted that there is only one new part - the square door on the tapestry section. I thought it might be good to let people be informed about that.

Overall, my attitude has shifted from "neutral" to "like." I think there's too many compromises in the animals and the stickers for me to truly "love" this, so I'm not going to be rushing to get this Day 1. I'm still going to wait for a third party sale and/or a GWP (maybe with the parents and a cow, to bring everything full circle?). 

The thing about mom and dad leaving to get a cow seems to me to either be the designer being very disgruntled that his masterpiece was destroyed by bean counters at the last minute, or it he could be alluding to a future set. I'm leaning more towards him being disgruntled because he also seemed very annoyed by the stickers. I don't think he's happy with how this set turned out. He obviously had a much grander vision than what we actually got, and I feel sorry he's having to read so many negative comments when it clearly isn't his fault it ended up this way.

I think this is actually a great set for what it is. I have no complaints about the build or the minifigures. I'm just disappointed by what's missing. I really wish we could get more unique molds for the castle theme, and I'd like to have horses in more colors. The traditional white and black horses are really expensive now on Bricklink. The black one is over $20! It would also be cool to have the old gray spotted horse remade with the new mold. (And, on that note, imagine how cool it would be to have the Indian horses with the new molds!)

18 minutes ago, jodawill said:

The thing about mom and dad leaving to get a cow seems to me to either be the designer being very disgruntled that his masterpiece was destroyed by bean counters at the last minute, or it he could be alluding to a future set. I'm leaning more towards him being disgruntled because he also seemed very annoyed by the stickers. I don't think he's happy with how this set turned out. He obviously had a much grander vision than what we actually got, and I feel sorry he's having to read so many negative comments when it clearly isn't his fault it ended up this way.

I agree with you. Some higher-up somewhere ordered the set to be scaled back, and corners had to be cut. Even then, I still think that Lego could have figured out a way to add back in some animals and/or do some more prints without increasing the price dramatically (or even just accept a slightly lower profit margin on this set). I mean, the cow and the lamb almost feel out of place in the Lion Knight's Castle, but something is clearly missing here - especially with the tax collector having a hand-pulled cart. He definitely should have a horse! And big new printed parts were allowed for the Lion Knight's Castle, Eldorado, the Blacksmith, and the Space Icons, so it really feels like this set got the short end of the stick on that front.

17 minutes ago, jodawill said:

I really wish we could get more unique molds for the castle theme, and I'd like to have horses in more colors. The traditional white and black horses are really expensive now on Bricklink. The black one is over $20! It would also be cool to have the old gray spotted horse remade with the new mold. (And, on that note, imagine how cool it would be to have the Indian horses with the new molds!)

PAB has a white horse without bridle that was used as a flying horse for Marvel if you want a non-yellowed horse.  I may not buy white just seeing how much they yellow!

I got back into Lego via Creator and its brick-built style.  There are brick-built horses from a pre-molded horse era, so that's a way to get more colors and prints.  I'll add snots to attach eyes.  I do need to find brick-built oxen from some set or MOC, but there is a donkey on Rebrickable that looks good too.

Harry Potter is getting a redo of Beauxbaton's carriage this summer, so we may see gray or blue there, but they will probably reuse the white one.  

11 minutes ago, Mopasali said:

PAB has a white horse without bridle that was used as a flying horse for Marvel if you want a non-yellowed horse.  I may not buy white just seeing how much they yellow!

I got back into Lego via Creator and its brick-built style.  There are brick-built horses from a pre-molded horse era, so that's a way to get more colors and prints.  I'll add snots to attach eyes.  I do need to find brick-built oxen from some set or MOC, but there is a donkey on Rebrickable that looks good too.

Harry Potter is getting a redo of Beauxbaton's carriage this summer, so we may see gray or blue there, but they will probably reuse the white one.  

I'm actually really surprised we didn't get a white horse here since the parts are already available in white. They just need to make a new print. The horse without the bridle isn't terribly useful to me. Maybe for having a couple in a stable, but that's about it.

23 minutes ago, JohnTPT17 said:

I agree with you. Some higher-up somewhere ordered the set to be scaled back, and corners had to be cut. Even then, I still think that Lego could have figured out a way to add back in some animals and/or do some more prints without increasing the price dramatically (or even just accept a slightly lower profit margin on this set).

Lego generally uses a system of "slots" for parts, for instance a new 2x4 brick colour would use 1 slot, while a new minifigure torso print would require 1 new slot for the new print and 1 new slot for the new torso assembly with the new print, so 2 slots. When making sets, designers are given a limited number of slots (or else the factory would become overcrowded). So for instance the designer might've been told that they have 15 slots for the set, and when he accounted for the new torsos and shield prints, he likely didn't have enough slots for new prints, so I doubt it would have just been a slight decrease on the profit margin