Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

Cedric is not the most exciting character sure, but I’ll take more Second Task characters any day of the week. Hopefully this means we’ll get Fleur too maybe in a Dumstrang Ship. 

12 minutes ago, RODDY said:

Cedric is not the most exciting character sure, but I’ll take more Second Task characters any day of the week. Hopefully this means we’ll get Fleur too maybe in a Dumstrang Ship. 

That‘s exactly why I think it‘s a wasted spot. 2nd task Fleur will likely appear in another set at some point, so they may as well have thrown this version of Cedric in there instead and given us something more unique as the book exclusive :tongue:

Judging purely by memory, the Sorting Hat looks very similar to the version in the survey leak! That picture didn‘t show the house tiles or the Harry minifig though, which means we can likely expect some tweaks and improvements for the other sets from that leak as well :excited:

The sorting hat being able to talk, that I did not expect. Has any other LEGO had a talking feature before? I guess the Mario figure?

2 hours ago, Modal said:

The sorting hat being able to talk, that I did not expect. Has any other LEGO had a talking feature before? I guess the Mario figure?

The rumors about a ‘sound brick’ accompanied the reveal of the set name several months ago, but I have to admit, 31 sound combinations was a lot more than I was expecting, and the phrasing suggests suggests a set of sound bites that are randomly mixed and matched. I’ll admit, I’m intrigued - especially since the build itself doesn’t look nearly as much like an off brand poo emoji as I feared it might. 

28 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

I’ll admit, I’m intrigued - especially since the build itself doesn’t look nearly as much like an off brand poo emoji as I feared it might. 

We’ve known what it looks like since February :wink: I checked, unless I’m overlooking something, the final version looks identical to the leaked one, minus the Harry minifig. Even the house tiles were already there in the leak!

The picture now has way better quality though ;). Well anyways it looks better than expected. Actually surprices about the sound combinations - I would have guessed he just gives out the four houses. Now he might aswell use some lines from the films maybe?

46 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I checked, unless I’m overlooking something

The shape of the face is a little different and the eyebrows are made of different parts.

6 hours ago, mark1991t said:

The shape of the face is a little different and the eyebrows are made of different parts.

The eyebrows are moveable, which is why they look slightly different (I think) :wink:

I have to admit that the Hat is really well built.

Surprised how similar it is to the survey leak – the only easily noticeable changes are the way the eyebrows and the stand are built.

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The eyebrows are moveable, which is why they look slightly different (I think) :wink:

I noticed the movement, but the eyes in the final product are cheeseslopes, but in the leak it was just 2 holes in the hat. It looks like there is more 'hat' around the eyes too. In the leaks, there were cheeseslopes in the eyebrows, wich are replaced in the final product by other parts. I even think the placement off the movement in the eyebrows has shifted from the 'nose' to the outside of the eyebrows.

Excited to see how this sound brick will work, and if we’re gonna see it in more sets in the future! *squints at upcoming mandrake set and shudders* :laugh_hard:

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Excited to see how this sound brick will work, and if we’re gonna see it in more sets in the future! *squints at upcoming mandrake set and shudders* :laugh_hard:

It seems kinda unlikely that they bring that brick back into production just for one set, so I would guess we will. And once they do I wouldn´t wonder when more designers will want to include it anyways. However on the other side we might not see it in to many sets since I would guess they also cost a lot budget.

16 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

The picture now has way better quality though ;). Well anyways it looks better than expected. Actually surprices about the sound combinations - I would have guessed he just gives out the four houses. Now he might aswell use some lines from the films maybe?

The hat often ponders a little bit before calling out its decision. Given that the word ‘combinations’ is used I’m guessing there are about six or seven options for what the hat can say before calling out the chosen house, plus Harry and Ron’s specific sortings and its speech to Harry in the headmaster’s office from CoS. Although I wouldn’t mind if they slipped a Sorting Hat song in there, although that seems like a long shot unless there’s an unused recording out there for Lego to take advantage of. 

8 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

The hat often ponders a little bit before calling out its decision. Given that the word ‘combinations’ is used I’m guessing there are about six or seven options for what the hat can say before calling out the chosen house, plus Harry and Ron’s specific sortings and its speech to Harry in the headmaster’s office from CoS. Although I wouldn’t mind if they slipped a Sorting Hat song in there, although that seems like a long shot unless there’s an unused recording out there for Lego to take advantage of. 

I'm wondering too if they might have the Sorting Hat sing since it sings a new song every year in the booiks.

15 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

You unlocked a memory for me. For those who are old enough: do you guys recall this?
https://web.archive.org/web/20010602030646/http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com:80/web/hogwarts/sorting_hat.jsp

For the Sorting Hat, it looks like the tiles are both printed and have unique designs. I'm really curious to see how the voice box is activated. It almost looks there is an adjustable rod in the back - I'd guess it both adjusts the mouth and activates the voice box simultaneously. 

2 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

For the Sorting Hat, it looks like the tiles are both printed and have unique designs. I'm really curious to see how the voice box is activated. It almost looks there is an adjustable rod in the back - I'd guess it both adjusts the mouth and activates the voice box simultaneously. 

I think that bit at the back is the string that acts as a hatband. It doesn’t always show up on merchandise, but the Hallmark talking Sorting Hat ornament I have includes it. 

Based of the picture on the back of the box that shows the mouth, eyes, and top section moving back and forth without any marking around that piece at the back, so I think the movement is controlled by toggling the top of the hat – which makes some sense since it is the easiest thing to reach while interacting with the set face to face. 

Well you mob, I've greatly enjoyed discussing Harry Potter lego with you this year, and I look forward to doing more of the same in 2024. 

And to get things started, I'll ask, in retrospect, what were your 3 favourite HP sets of 2023 and can you name 3 things you enjoyed about the line (or the direction it took / seems to be taking) this year?

I'm going with the second task (Black Lake) as my favourite set. It really shows how far the set design has come over the years. I love that it was so beautifully captured yet affordable, had a small footprint, and filled a real gap in the theme. I also really liked the Battle of Hogwarts and RoR. Reasonably affordable DH sets were so welcome, and I liked the built in versatility, particularly as more and more people seem to be leaving their sets intact. It's good to nudge them into non-static builds.

As for the line, I really like that they've continued their Hogsmeade series (third year running; hoping for more), that they seem intent on giving us new characters, and I was so glad that the advent calendar seems to have found its way again, returning both to minifig scale and winter themes. That's a yearly highlight, so it was a real relief seeing it back on path. 

I hope everyone has a happy new year. 🍀

My favourites this year were:

1) Gringotts. An amazing set, worth every second we had to wait for it! Contender for set of the year, along with Rivendell.

2) Battle of Hogwarts. Finally, after all these years! Never thought I’d hold a Scabior minifig in my hand *huh*

3) Second task. Now that’s how you do a remake! Such a cool upgrade with A+ minifigs.

What I liked about the line this year in general were all the new prints (galleons, pygmy puffs, chocolate frog pack), the fact we got three proper DH2 sets, the return of the classic AC, and all the new characters!

2024 is looking good so far too, except for the lack of new characters in the first wave. The second wave has to deliver big time to make up for that! :snicker:

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

My favourites this year were:

1) Gringotts. An amazing set, worth every second we had to wait for it! Contender for set of the year, along with Rivendell.

2) Battle of Hogwarts. Finally, after all these years! Never thought I’d hold a Scabior minifig in my hand *huh*

3) Second task. Now that’s how you do a remake! Such a cool upgrade with A+ minifigs.

What I liked about the line this year in general were all the new prints (galleons, pygmy puffs, chocolate frog pack), the fact we got three proper DH2 sets, the return of the classic AC, and all the new characters!

2024 is looking good so far too, except for the lack of new characters in the first wave. The second wave has to deliver big time to make up for that! :snicker:

This ^^ (Thanks for writing it for me :pir_tong2:

But I wanted to add that there are a few new characters in the first wave for 2024, just not human, like Trevor (first time he has been confirmed I think), Pidwidgeon, Fang and Norbert. 

Rumoured Summer 2024 price list from Maxbautde on Youtube:

Lego Harry Potter 76427 - 723 Pieces - $59.99

Lego Harry Potter 76231 - 397 Pieces - $39.99

Lego Harry Potter 76433 - 579 Pieces - $69.99

Lego Harry Potter 76434 - 195 Pieces - $19.99

Lego Harry Potter 76435 - 1732 Pieces - $199.99

Lego Harry Potter 76439 - 744 Pieces - $89.99

Lego Harry Potter 76440 - 1229 Pieces - $139.99

Let the speculation begin. :excited:

Guessing 76435 might be a well known family's humble abode? 

Edited by BacktoBricks

38 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Guessing 76435 might be a well known family's humble abode? 

The survey listed a 2388-piece count. Nothing on this list comes close to that piece count.

My 3 favourite sets for 2023 were:

1) 2nd Task, what a remake. I can't say anything bad about this set.

2) Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, apart for the meaningless post office. A good way to make more affordable a colourful and playful location with Fred and George, two appreciate characters.

3) Gringot Ts Bank :laugh:, even if it was a bit delusional for me, cause I would have prefered a different set, with only the upper side of the bank, but LEGO went with an adult collector set with the so adult black box, so I understand why they produced both upper and lower side of the bank. Not a failure set, in the end, but not in my .

Average sets RoR and The Battle of Hogwarts.

At the bottom of my list Hogwarts Banners, not so interesting considering their price, and the new Hogwarts Express, in my opinion too kiddish. And I hate the fact they don't produced a quidditch Cho in line with past quidditch outfit. I like capes and I would have appreciated a full ravenclaw team with blue capes.

I like the fact they try to both satisfy long term collectors, with new locations, characters and variants and mould, and new entrie kids and collectors.

Happy new year to everyone!