Clone OPatra

Wizarding World 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

2 hours ago, Slytherin Alumni said:

I would have rather had a film about the founders of Hogwarts during the time they created the school, the creation of the CoS and split of Slytherin

OR

A film of the Marauders when they were in school, becoming animagus’, Snape’s almost demise, etc. 

I’ve always thought either of those would be great stand alone films. Not sure why they’ve never done them.

I like that first idea. Not so sure about the second one; the Marauders actually come across as very unlikeable in the flashbacks, but it could be a good way of fully fleshing out their characters and redeeming them. Going back to the beginning would be interesting though for sure.

Edited by BacktoBricks

Cant wait for the new show!

Lets hope they will include the Pottermore content like the Mcgonagall backstory and such

And with Rowling involved, they can "expand" what we read in the books with side stories and such

Edited by Robert8

All this negativity over something that hasn't even happened yet. You'd think this was the first time a film series has been adapted for television. The thought of seeing Peeves, RAB, Bagman, Winky, Binns, the Gaunts, Charlie Weasley, Teddy Tonks, SPEW, in-depth lessons and quidditch, Ron's ghoul, Percy's redemption arc, Firenze as a teacher, blast-ended skrewts, the Ministry battle, Fred and George's beta testing and leaving bash, Harry's home life, Kreacher's arc, Nearly Headless Nick's death day party, the headless hunt, the other ghosts, Muggle Prime Minister, the Longbottoms, aparating lessons, the songs of the sorting hat, the other Diagon Alley shops, the Dumbledores, Grindelwald and anything else that I've missed in greater or any detail. There is so much that got left on the cutting room floor, so much untouched and ripe for exploration, yet for various reasons many here would rather everything stagnates. Such bizarre thinking.

I would argue the franchise has stagnated already. Harry's story has been told pretty well in the form of books (there's so many editions of the books too, illustrated versions with supplemental material, and all the online content), live action movies and video games. I don't think it's too much to ask to expand the universe beyond Harry's slice of the wizarding world.

And I think skepticism in deserved in this case when you look at Warner Bros and Rowling's recent work. They don't inspire much confidence.

Edited by strangely

Some people are speculating online that the reason JKR approved of this reboot is because she wants to sever ties with the majority of the young cast of HP who denounced her. Honestly, she's been petty enough that I can believe it after she refused to attend the HP Reunion Special to meet the cast and after she refused Emma Watson's request for a sit-down discussion on transgender people. Is this perhaps her way of punishing Dan, Emma, Rupert, and company by erasing their legacy and picking new actors who won't disagree with her?

2 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

Some people are speculating online that the reason JKR approved of this reboot is because she wants to sever ties with the majority of the young cast of HP who denounced her. Honestly, she's been petty enough that I can believe it after she refused to attend the HP Reunion Special to meet the cast and after she refused Emma Watson's request for a sit-down discussion on transgender people. Is this perhaps her way of punishing Dan, Emma, Rupert, and company by erasing their legacy and picking new actors who won't disagree with her?

Bruh, no. That's ridiculous. Younger actors are even more likely to disagree with her.

And she can't 'erase their legacy' — even if the show is a success, the movies will always have been the first and the most iconic adaptation.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

3 hours ago, strangely said:

I would argue the franchise has stagnated already. Harry's story has been told pretty well in the form of books (there's so many editions of the books too, illustrated versions with supplemental material, and all the online content), live action movies and video games. I don't think it's too much to ask to expand the universe beyond Harry's slice of the wizarding world.

And I think skepticism in deserved in this case when you look at Warner Bros and Rowling's recent work. They don't inspire much confidence.

I would strongly argue that it hasn’t stagnated, citing all the factors that you listed as reasons why. It’s phenomenally popular. And who knows, the TV show could spawn spin-offs. It’s a big project and new storylines don’t have to be told right now.

Quite a lot of WB’s recent work has been successful, and frankly I’m pretty sure all of Rowling’s books have been best sellers, with the Strike series being consistently popular.

3 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

Is any of this remotely true?

Can we try and steer the conversation back to what it’s supposed to be about now? Before it ends being pages of dross and faces temporary closure?

We’ve had some really cashgrabby remakes before, but this is by far the most worthless and unnecessary of them all. Even Robocop, Total Recall, and Ghostbusters at least tried to put a new spin on the story, which is not possible with an adaptation like this. I have more respect for the upcoming Eragon and Percy Jackson series since their respective movies are not exactly held in high regard, and they only managed to adapt the first instalment and first two respectively. Can‘t wait for the Twilight and Hunger Games remake series this will inevitably inspire. Streaming is just the worst.

And I keep hearing „oh, they‘ll include everything from the books“. First off, not everybody cares about these books. I for one am strictly a fan of the movies only. Secondly, more isn‘t always better. A lot of this material is complete filler at best and monoric at worst. And finally, who guarantees that any of that will be included and if so, if it‘s well adapted?

Also, no matter what they do, they have to compete with classic, beloved movies. Every tiny bit will be scrutinised and compared, and it simply stands no chance. You cannot compete with nostalgia. How can the cheap unknown TV actors they will hire compete with the likes of legends such as Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, Richard Harris, Ralph Fiennes, Robbie Coltrane, etc? :laugh:

That said, from now on I will ignore this show and everything related to it. I just hope TLG does the same

@BrickBob Studpants alright, before I put myself in my own sin bin.

Everything tied to any franchise is a cash grab.

Only Total Recall was based on a book of the films you listed, and then it was tenuous.

You seem to be arguing that if the previous films were not as well received then remakes are ok to do.

You might not care about the books directly, but without them this forum would be pretty quiet. 

A lot of that filler you mentioned actually strengthens character arcs and would make so many elements of the films make sense.

One would argue that being well adapted would be to include the missing elements.

Being classic or beloved or definitive does not ring fence from adaptation. You’d kill the theatre world with that ethic.

Why not let actors who weren’t in the originals and who would love to play a certain character, have that chance?

That's me out.

20 minutes ago, RedHoodPug said:

You seem to be arguing that if the previous films were not as well received then remakes are ok to do.

Yes, because then you don‘t have to fight an uphill battle. I can‘t think of a single remake of a beloved movie that was actually well-received, and none of them were as high-caliber as HP. It’s like remaking Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, or The Lord of the Rings.

Dune doesn‘t count, because the original movie is very divisive, so much so that the director disowned it. Maybe The Magnificent Seven (2016)? But even then, the original was more than 50 years old and it was itself a remake of Seven Samurai. And it was just one movie, not seven.

A lot of that filler you mentioned actually strengthens character arcs and would make so many elements of the films make sense.

Or it‘s just sideplots that don‘t lead anywhere and were cut for good reasons. Pacing is crucial for adaptations to work.

Why not let actors who weren’t in the originals and who would love to play a certain character, have that chance?

Just look at ROP. Not a single one of those cheap actors holds a candle to their LOTR counterparts. And yeah, they will definitely hire cheap actors as they want this rubbish to last ten years :laugh_hard: 

And it probably will last that long, as people will undoubtedly hatewatch it. Not me though. I have already given it way more attention than it deserves

11 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

With Disney, there's no danger of a SW reboot because so much of the Disney theme parks have attractions or lands invested in the series.

The 3 SW movies Disney made are basically poorer copy's of the originals :tongue:

4 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

Some people are stupid :tongue: Why would JKR care what the original actor trio do and I do not understand why/if they care if she believes there are 2 sexes or 20 :def_shrug: It is probably about money as usual, WB has probably tried to make a reboot for a long time and finally was able to make a deal JKR was satisfied with.

It is a little frustrating that most of what comes out of "Hollywood" these days are a sequel or a reboot etc.:hmpf_bad:

I would not be surprised if Lego are making sets of the new show when it releases, SW have sets from several films and series at the same time right? How many sets we get depends on how popular the show is, it may end up like FB with only a couple of sets and a few figs:shrug_oh_well:

Edited by Roebuck

2 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

How many sets we get depends on how popular the show is, it may end up like FB with only a couple of sets and a few figs:shrug_oh_well:

Since this is a remake, I doubt sets based on both could co-exist. Sure, the Ghostbusters reboot set was on shelves along with the HQ from the original, but they looked distinct enough. 

This however wouldn‘t work. WB would probably force them to focus on the show instead of promoting the movies. In the best case, TLG just drop the license once they‘ve completed everything :classic:

And if they don‘t, I‘ll simply boycot the sets.

WB probably wants sets from the new show and Lego from the movies that they know will sell and then they will make a compromise with some of each is my guess. Then next wave depends on the sale of the sets :shrug_oh_well:

49 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

WB probably wants sets from the new show and Lego from the movies that they know will sell and then they will make a compromise with some of each is my guess. Then next wave depends on the sale of the sets :shrug_oh_well:

That‘d be pretty confusing for customers though. I doubt putting the new actors on the box is enough :tongue: Granted, we‘ve never had a situation like this, but I cannot imagine putting sets from two versions of the same thing on shelves, especially when they end up using the same designs.

It‘s gonna be one or the other. Or better yet, neither :laugh_hard: I got what I wanted out of this theme, so please let it die with dignity.

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

2 minutes ago, NostalgicBricks said:

[…] the sets are likely to be revealed/leaked any time now […]

Not really. Allegedly, they‘ll be revealed in early May. The only reason we saw them so early last year was due to the release of SoD

13 minutes ago, NostalgicBricks said:

Please keep your off topic discussion out of this thread

Also, I don‘t think this is off-topic as it directly concerns future sets

All people seem to do these days is complain about everything. You should at least wait and see what it's like before complaining, and it's probably going to be a while, they've only just made the deal from the sound of it. Nothing's been made yet, that's why they used the same castle and music. No adaption is ever going to be a 1:1 version of the books, books and screen are different formats, so what works for one may not work for the other. So just calm down, and wait and see what happens.

Edited by Decat

This years sets are locked and next years sets are most likely already planned/in development. With filming and post production, it would be 2025 at the earliest before the new series affected HP Lego and that’s assuming they base sets on it rather than, or in addition to the original. So, nothing to worry about at the moment.

Topic Bricks new video suggests a rumor they won’t be making anymore Hogwarts expansions after this year. Can anyone verify? If true, that’s promising as 2-3 sets per year were taken by Hogwarts expansions. More room for other sets. Hopefully some we’ve never gotten before. 

Also, PromoBricks still assures a news/update video is coming soon (she stated in the comments of her latest video).

8 minutes ago, Slytherin Alumni said:

Topic Bricks new video suggests a rumor they won’t be making anymore Hogwarts expansions after this year. Can anyone verify? If true, that’s promising as 2-3 sets per year were taken by Hogwarts expansions. More room for other sets. Hopefully some we’ve never gotten before. 

I can't comment on the validity of that suggestion, but if it is true, I would guess they mean there will be no more modular Hogwarts expansions in the current style and that there will be another 'soft reboot' and Hogwarts will come in some other form.

39 minutes ago, Decat said:

All people seem to do these days is complain about everything.

I usually give new shows and movies the benefit of the doubt, but not this. The movies are near and dear to me and a blatant cashgrab like this is unacceptable. Especially when it potentially jeopardises the current HP theme.

Heck, I have way more respect for the live-action Disney remakes. As soulless as they are, at least it‘s a different medium :tongue:

20 minutes ago, Slytherin Alumni said:

Topic Bricks new video suggests a rumor they won’t be making anymore Hogwarts expansions after this year.

Sure, on the same day they stop making X-Wings and TIE Fighters :laugh:

Geez, as someone that just wanted lego news, three pages of super negative personal options is not what I came to see, lol. Chill out people, let's just wait for leak news!

10 hours ago, Slytherin Alumni said:

TopicBricks seems to mindlessly speculate at times and then state it as fact (for example, he said that the Hogwarts Express will be motorised and no one else has said that), so I very much doubt that's the case. Looks just like a clickbait thumbnail to me.

Edited by sammy_zammy

Got a happy surprise today and stumbled across the Quidditch polybag in Target. I usually never see the Harry Potter polybags for sale in my local stores this early, and I wasn’t even bothering to check, but while I was searching for what I needed in the pharmacy section my sister came over saying ‘you don’t have this one yet, right?’

It's a fun little display, and I rather like the spinner action. It would be fairly easy to switch out Cho and the snitch to accommodate any player, official or purist custom. And it would take next to nothing to add a second player to the mix. 

The temptation to go back for more and build an entire Ravenclaw team is very tempting, but I want to wait to see exactly what’s included in the Quidditch Trunk before I make any decisions on that front. 

Yeah I don’t buy the end of Hogwarts. There’s already what four iterations in 5 years time (2018 OG, 2018 micro scale, 2021, and 2023 grounds). So I’d assume they are selling and they make what sells. 

I personally don’t care for the reboot either way at this point. Hollywood is so bankrupt on ideas so it was bound to happen. My only fear is the precedent it may set going forward. Like remaking HP as a tv show I can somewhat mentally justify even though I’ll never watch it because of the added content of the books. But if they start remaking A New Hope or Raiders of The Lost Ark or Rocky or anything like that, I’m really not going to like that. As impact for sets, I’m just doing what I’ve been doing since last year. I’ll just buy what I want and ignore the rest, because it’s no longer a collectible theme like it used to be. 

Edited by RODDY

With the new tv series I think people forget facts when their nostalgia takes over. I remember when each movie would come out there was lots of debate about what was left out of the movies and lots of people disliking what choices were made. Now what's in the movies is the story for a lot of people but the books were the story for a lot of other people first. I've forgotten most of the books now so I can't remember but I'm sure there is plenty of new material to pad out a series. Is it necessary, probably not but it will draw in a new young audience again and hopefully they will make some fun decisions with cast and locations and reimagine it to make it feel different and have a place. And it's a perfect reason for lego to make repeat sets again, which they are doing now anyway just to drag the theme out.

By the time this comes out I think they will have milked the life out of the current movies, we are getting so many remakes already. They could do a whole new Harry potter tv line and then the movies theme would become another thing like they do with the black boxes and we might get two high quality sets from that a year.

If the series is good and does well we may get some of the other ideas made into movies or more tv. I will not be ruling it out like a toddler having a tantrum. Wait and see and hopefully it will help continue the lego theme for years to come.