MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Looks a bit boxier than previous versions, but I quite like it :thumbup: Neat colour scheme and I appreciate the smaller size. Can’t wait to see better pics of the minifigs though! :excited:

Also, I hope this means that Ahsoka set leaks are around the corner as well

Another set leak, another group of adults confused as to why the children’s toy is designed for children. The highly detailed, properly proportioned gunship is already on sale.

It does look wonky but I'll wait for non-Preliminary images B4 I judge.

10 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

Another set leak, another group of adults confused as to why the children’s toy is designed for children. The highly detailed, properly proportioned gunship is already on sale.

And Another condescending post by Flawless cowboy. I mean it's not a juniors set, if it was I'd get where you were coming from. But why do you think children want thier sets substandard ( though actually I don't think this looks too bad and will look better in official images).

Edited by Agent Kallus

17 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

The ucs-Gunship is not compatible with minifigures or any other model makes it in my opinion worthless, because it is boring as hell in it's own. The 40€-tumbler or 50€-Wall-E showed pretty well that it is possible to make a gorgeous fun toy everyone loves.

Edited by Gorilla94

7 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

It does look wonky but I'll wait for non-Preliminary images B4 I judge.

And Another condescending post by Flawless cowboy. I mean it's not a juniors set, if it was I'd get where you were coming from. But why do you think children want thier sets substandard ( though actually I don't think this looks too bad and will look better in official images).

It’s a children’s set, point blank, end of discussion. An inaccurate-looking set is not “substandard”, because it’s a toy, meant to be played with, not displayed on an adult’s shelf. If that’s what you fancy, there’s an 18+ line. Does the set satisfy the requirements of being stable, fun to play with, and does it look cool? That’s all that matters. Trust me, ten year olds do not care about the proportions of the cockpit, or if the sliding door mechanism is accurate to the source material.

Edited by Flawless Cowboy

5 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

It’s a children’s set, point blank, end of discussion. An inaccurate-looking set is not “substandard”, because it’s a toy, meant to be played with, not displayed on an adult’s shelf. If that’s what you fancy, there’s an 18+ line. Does the set satisfy the requirements of being stable, fun to play with, and does it look cool? That’s all that matters. Trust me, ten year olds do not care about the proportions of the cockpit, or if the sliding door mechanism is accurate to the source material.

I've been 10, we all have. I work with children, they aren't as ignorant as you seem to think.

With this leak, I'd guess that official photos maybe even a pre-order will be available within the week.

The box art looks wack, but the play feature pictures look much better. 

54 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

Another set leak, another group of adults confused as to why the children’s toy is designed for children. The highly detailed, properly 

Lol werent you complaining about the AAT design on here a few months ago?

The Gunship looks rad, I now have many sets I gotta choose between....I like this a lot.

Edited by Fulcrumfan91

58 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

It’s a children’s set, point blank, end of discussion. 

Why are you here on a discussion forum if you don't value discussion?

The "it's a toy so no criticism of its design matters" argument is SO tired.

22 minutes ago, Fulcrumfan91 said:

Lol werent you complaining about the AAT design on here a few months ago?

The Gunship looks rad, I now have many sets I gotta choose between....I like this a lot.

In response to someone saying it was actually an accurate looking set, which it absolutely is not. Still a fine toy though. 

Just now, Clone OPatra said:

Why are you here on a discussion forum if you don't value discussion?

The "it's a toy so no criticism of its design matters" argument is SO tired.

Because Lego puts out collector-quality sets that are supposed to be highly accurate and detailed, and those sets deserve scrutiny on how well they achieve that accuracy. Kid’s sets on the other hand should be scrutinized for other reasons, like how fun, or functional a toy it is. I never said the sets shouldn’t be criticized, but the things people nitpick in a children’s set seems more in line with adult thinking rather than kid thinking. 

It looks a bit blocker and a bit more basic than previous versions. We'll have to see whether it looks better in clearer pictures.

Wow. Well overall for the gunship - I like it. The figures seem great (need better images). I like the set except the stud shooters on the wings but can understand why. Maybe some clear quarter dome pieces to give them more of a transparent rounded shape. I think the color is dark red still. Waiting for final images and review before rendering complete total judgement from me, but would like to get 2 at the moment. We'll see if that changes.

1 hour ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

Trust me, ten year olds do not care about the proportions of the cockpit, or if the sliding door mechanism is accurate to the source material.

Ten year olds who pore over the Star Wars reference books, like the cross section books that are aimed at ten year olds, do.

Not entirely sure what to think of the gunship yet. If it's regular red, I'm not a fan of it, though that would make, sense since the Coruscant Guard armor is colored red and not dark red...
Anyhoo. Shape-wise it looks quite nice, but as usual I'm mostly interested in the minifigures which are terrible to make out at the moment

Regards,
Mitch

9 minutes ago, icm said:

Ten year olds who pore over the Star Wars reference books, like the cross section books that are aimed at ten year olds, do.

Cool. Most don’t. Which is why Lego continues putting out sets like this and they still sell like hotcakes. I’ll trust the billion dollar corporation whose business depends on selling to kids to know what kids like.

Front section looks a bit short/stumpy, for example there's not a lot of space between the back of the 2nd cockpit and the top of the ship, but I'm not the biggest gunship expert so could be wrong on this - especially if this Coruscant version has different proportions to combat versions.

I've heard others say that previous gunships were slightly larger than minifig scale, could this slightly downsized version be closer to the 'correct' (whatever that means) scale?

41 minutes ago, MaximillianRebo said:

I'm not the biggest gunship expert so could be wrong on this - especially if this Coruscant version has different proportions to combat versions.

I'm like 80% the one in the clone wars show used the exact same model but recoloured.

Our forum spent a lot of time debating the proportions of the UCS Gunship before it was revealed. Ultimately, those that said it'd be greater than minifigure-scale proved to be correct. However, these prelim photos show me that the line of thinking that "It wouldn't make sense to make a UCS Gunship in the $200-250 range." wasn't sound. If this is mid-$100s, we definitely needed a low-$200s UCS version. As feared, it looks like we're not going to get a displayable yet proportional Gunship.

Fox figure has leaked. Not too bad imo. 

This was a fig that would've greatly benefited from arm prints, but I never expected that. 

Torso print in addition to being wrong, looks pink where the white is printed. Woof.

3 hours ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

First off, this "it's made for kids so it doesn't have to be accurate" discussion is just false. I was a kid, I work with kids, friends of mine have kids, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that a common thing kids do is gain an insane amount of knowledge and detail on a random fictional franchise. Kids can tell that it looks weirdly boxy. Now, is the set terrible? No. Is it immune to criticism because it's not UCS? Of course not, that's absurd.

3 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

I've been 10, we all have. I work with children, they aren't as ignorant as you seem to think.

Seconding this.

Look, it's not a terrible set, just substandard for something a lot of people were calling for for some time. I like that they went for the red color scheme. Though I would have preferred more figs, if the design was better, I might have gotten it. As is, I'm gonna need to see higher-quality images, and even if it looks better in them the best I'd do is wait for a sale.

Edited by Mandalorianknight