MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

16 minutes ago, Duke27 said:

The same montrait piece but new print for montrail,right? 

What is "montrait"?

16 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

This will definitely be the deciding factor in whether or not I go for the Venator. I know a case can be made that the UCS ISD never contained any microscale TIE Fighters or anything, but in the Venator’s case its capability to deploy ships from the central hangar doors has always been constantly highlighted in media and is a large part of the ship’s appeal. Just imagine being able to swoosh some microscale Jedi Starfighters around the main model, that would be awesome! 

Or republic gunships! A hungar with a few microscale ships will definitely be a good and feasible feature without adding far too many pieces. But I don’t think we’ll see any interiors for minifigs, they do fit better a $150 playscale model.

1 minute ago, lomis said:

What is "montrait"?

Montral? The sort of horns Ahsoka has, the head tails are leeku so realistically any new part would be both.

9 minutes ago, Hhalcyon said:

By far this year the best set is 5007768 - Lightsaber Gel Pen - Lavender.

It would be if they made the blade come out the right end of the hilt!

5 minutes ago, omegabadbatch said:

4 months to summer wave its too long...

Don't time goes fast, march and feb flew by, today is already the 5th of april.

2 hours ago, Duke27 said:

Bet it is Y-wing, such an obvious option for Lego. 

The same montraipiece but new print for montral,right? 

Yeah that’s right. Same piece but new print.

The X-Wing looks way better when the S-foils aren’t in attack position. Pass for me but a decent UCS set overall.

Edited by Kaijumeister

Maybe this is a relatively minor critique, but I don't know why they left those tan pins visible on the back of the Final Duel diorama when the designers went to the trouble of making it relatively detailed. Normally I'm not one to get too annoyed by that stuff, but when the entire point of the set is to be displayed you'd think they would want it to look as good as possible.

4 hours ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Anyone see on picture 8/12 (the rear with the S-foils deployed) on the new UCS X-Wing (75355) that the rear parts with the NEXO knights shield piece aren't symmetrical? Is that correct? I would expect it not to be the way it is on the build. Maybe an error?

That's intentional. That part of the ship is depicted differently in different sources, and it's symmetrical on a lot of them, but they're asymmetrical in the movie (supposedly; the rear shots are all kinda blurry). Here's a model that shows it clearly.

I'll be honest - I think this X-wing is a terrible effort. The engines are too large and aren't positioned correctly when the wings are open; the 'crack' running the length of the nose is too obvious for the minor shaping payoff; the nose itself is proportionally just wrong - its chunky and cartoonist. Frankly, this is a horrible job.

1 hour ago, Goofster said:

I think the big grey circle thingies are way oversized tbh

They might be slightly oversized but definitely look much better than the tiny ones on the 2013 version

22 minutes ago, LordsofMedieval said:

I'll be honest - I think this X-wing is a terrible effort. The engines are too large and aren't positioned correctly when the wings are open; the 'crack' running the length of the nose is too obvious for the minor shaping payoff; the nose itself is proportionally just wrong - its chunky and cartoonist. Frankly, this is a horrible job.

I think it's just a hard ship to re-create in Lego. Either way, I don't think anyone can say the 2013 one looked better.

36 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

That's intentional. That part of the ship is depicted differently in different sources, and it's symmetrical on a lot of them, but they're asymmetrical in the movie (supposedly; the rear shots are all kinda blurry). Here's a model that shows it clearly.

Huh, learned something new - thanks! Always appreciate the subject matter experts in this thread. 

Honestly, my knowledge of Star Wars (much reinforced by LEGO) allowed me to win a few trivia nights at a local brewery! 

Tangent over. 

3 minutes ago, OCD_Chad said:

The engines were that big in A New Hope.

I've compared the above shots and the engines are over sized. All the proportions are off. 

4 minutes ago, OCD_Chad said:

Nope, these are the right size, lego's is honestly way to big, the whole back part is oversized tbh.

Just now, ginja said:

I've compared the above shots and the engines are over sized. All the proportions are off. 

It’s Lego. It’ll never be an exact 1:1, welcome to the medium

1 minute ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

Oh, really? Thanks for pointing that out, I honestly didn't realise /s

5 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

Yeah, but it's pretty embarrassing when the $50 playset from a couple years ago does a better job than the $240 adult display model.

I guess its subjective. And its not a huge deal to me as I wasn't planning on buying it, but I think the design of this x-wing is underwhelming. On the plus side I appreciate the coloring, I think they did a good job capturing the feel of Red 5. And I like the new engine (cannot wait for that quarter circle panel part) design. The hexagonal aft section looks great to me and I think from R-2 back the ship looks really good.

However, the shaping of the front of the ship is pretty terrible and way out of proportion. I really wish they had taken this opportunity to create a proper x-wing  canopy (hello ucs landspeeder) and I have to say I'm pretty shocked they didn't even attempt to suggest the tapered nose, not even with stacked plates, much less more complex solution using angled ones. 

This is an interesting comparison I saw posted on another site - I don't think its fair to compare to the original model, but as a point of reference I think it is useful

IMG_20230405_204333.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Goofster said:

Nope, these are the right size, lego's is honestly way to big, the whole back part is oversized tbh.

The intakes are taller than the canopy and descend to the bottom of the ship when the wings are closed.  Look at the movie shots.

75355_alt11.jpg?format=webply&fit=bounds

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-12575.jp

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-12305.jp