MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

4 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

Except that it IS specifically for the 03 Clone Wars because it's the 20 year anniversary. It is not the 20 year anniversary of the Filoni Clone Wars because that didn’t air until 2008. 

I totally agree about slapping anniversaries on the boxes though. Why bother doing that if the set isn't actually going to be relevant and you don't really want people to care that much. Imho LEGO is seriously missing the mark by not taking advantage of anniversaries to produce dedicated sets. Star Wars isn't the only theme they've historically done this with but they at least are going all out for the 30th anniversary of Jurassic Park and the big Disney anniversary this year. The only anniversary LEGO did anything with for Star Wars was the anniversary for the LEGO Star Wars theme itself. 

Let me be more accurate:

It is the 20th anniversary of Clone Wars ‘03, but nowhere has Disney or any toy manufacturer using the 20th anniversary of “Clone Wars” branding made it clear that they are celebrating the ‘03 show at all. It seems to be completely arbitrary. 

Honestly, why dont they do 03 clone wars? You have so much to do with it and so many cool characters people know and love to sell.

3 minutes ago, Goofster said:

Honestly, why dont they do 03 clone wars?

Not really all that relevant and it‘s not canon anymore :shrug_oh_well: I can think of at least 5 other SW projects that need sets more than this show does

11 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Not really all that relevant and it‘s not canon anymore :shrug_oh_well: I can think of at least 5 other SW projects that need sets more than this show does

It isn't, after Disney bought star wars, TV canon, C canon and S canon all became non-canon and "legends" they were only left with G canon, but they revived TV canon a few years later.

"G-CANON

GEORGE LUCAS CANON

Created in 1977

Consists of the Original six Star Wars movies, production notes for those movies along with any statements made by George Lucas himself. (Stewjon as Obi-Wan's homeworld).

Later Editions of his films such as the Special Editions, and 3D/4K Editions take prece dence over the original Theatrical Releases. Deleted Scenes are also included if they do not conflict with the movies or later material.

NON-CANON PILLAR EXPANDED UNIVERSE PILLAR GEORGE LUCAS PILLAR

T-CANON

TELEVISION CANON

Created in 2008

Anything that George had a lesser hand in creating such as "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" movie and Television series. It was created to address problems with trying to fit into C-Canon and give the creators better creative freedom. Later projects would later fall into

T-Canon such as Lucas' unproduced live action TV Series "Star Wars: Underworld".

C-CANON

CONTINUITY CANON

Created in 1991

material published between 1991-2014 unless stated otherwise. Books,

Movie Novelizations, Dark Horse Comic Books, Roleplaying Game Scenarios, Official Short Stories, 2D Cartoons, TV Specials and Films. Video Games are a special case generally Light Side only options are generally considered canon, along with the characters and events in the Story Mode of the games

S-CANON

SECONDARY CANON

Created in c. 2000

thing pre-1991 goes into S•Canon excluding Novels. This section mostly includes

Star Wars comics from 1977-1986. Any events or characters that are mentioned

in later works are generally elevated to C-Canon (Lumiya, The Tarkin, Skye), they might

exact same event depicted before to be able to fit within the continuity

N-CANON

NON-CANON

Created in c. 2000

"Infinities", What If stories, and a majority of the "Tales" stories are relegated to N-Canon.

Anything that has been overwritten or retconed belongs here (Origin of Maul's tattoos, Asajj Ventress' species, Clone Wars details pre 2002) Video Game character stats and Dark Side Endings fall into Non Canon. Generally anything here can be ignored.

D-CANON

DETOURS CANON

Created in 2010

Created for the currently canceled "Star Wars: Detours" an adult oriented Television

Series. Not much is know besides that.

RETCONS

RETROACTIVE CONTINUITY

Created to revise retrospectively to better fit, change and fix any mistakes created by previous works.

They are used to completely overwrite or adjust previous works such as "CWMMP"<"TCWMMP".

"Jedi vs Sith"<*Darth Bane: Path of Destruction", pre-1991 < post-1991."

1 hour ago, Goofster said:

Honestly, why dont they do 03 clone wars? You have so much to do with it and so many cool characters people know and love to sell.

I absolutely agree. Just because it's not canon anymore doesn't mean it isn't still awesome and enjoyable. I would absolutely love aome sets based on some of the episodes: the abduction of Palpatine for example. I would be ecstatic over an official Roron Corobb figure. Also, imagine a small speederbike dual set between Obi-Wan and Dirge. Dirge would make for an amazing minifig!

It's not so much that this thread is off topic as it's too heated. 

Valid points from different forum members. But the rapid back-and-forth isn't beneficial to this thread.

Please take extra time before responding. And remember to breathe :yoda:

I think the overall issue is that the landscape of Star Wars content is so vastly different to what it used to be 8 years ago (that’s when the Azure Angel was released right?). It’s no longer just the films, a couple of animated shows, and the 2D Micro Series. Now more than ever, it seems like Lego’s focus is to juggle between the plethora of new shows whilst also delivering sets from the classic media that has an established presence. There’s simply no room for deep cuts the way there used to be - though I suppose like last year’s Fighter Tank still slip through!

Also, the Clone Wars Anniversary isn’t simply for the 2003 Series, it’s for Clone Wars as a whole which started in 2003. Honestly it’s a weird thing to make an anniversary of to begin with.

But tying things back to this year, I’m glad we’re getting more substantial sets in September. Last August brought us the Justifier, AT-TE, Scythe, BD-1, Ambush on Ferrix, etc. This August feels comparatively light with just Yavin IV, a couple of small prequel era sets, the Spider Tank, and the mechs.

Actually all in all, it looks like we’re getting more larger playscale sets this year than we did last year if I’m not mistaken? Just a month later than usual.

Edited by Kaijumeister

8 hours ago, Darth Malgus said:

So pure speculation on arithmatic is the reason behind a Gunship, and balanced sets between 2 anniversary collections.

Since 1999 when they first started, there has never been any real connection or balance to releases, some movies and TV shows have had more dominant waves or an additional waves. There hasn't been a balanced number of sets from any recollection.

Indeed im just speculating 

Does anybody remember when we found out about the May 4th promo last year?

1 hour ago, ToaDraco said:

I absolutely agree. Just because it's not canon anymore doesn't mean it isn't still awesome and enjoyable. I would absolutely love aome sets based on some of the episodes: the abduction of Palpatine for example. I would be ecstatic over an official Roron Corobb figure. Also, imagine a small speederbike dual set between Obi-Wan and Dirge. Dirge would make for an amazing minifig!

Micro Galaxy Squadron released an Asajj Ventress starfighter - a ship some Lego MOC makers have done a great job of making. The product manager himself said that the ship has sold terribly. Usually the small stuff is lower margin, greater volume & I don't think it's topical enough to drive sufficient demand.

On the other hand, the MGS Muunilinst 10 Gunship sold out instantly, becoming the top toy on Amazon in the process. If there were a set, that'd be the one; it's sufficiently iconic on its own and at that price point, mold(s) for Durge, helmeted Saesee Tiin, and/or Kybuck would be possible. Kenobi, Fordo, Blue ARC Trooper & Gunship vs. Durge & Speeder would be awesome. It does seem unlikely, if not impossible, that TLG would commit a ~$140 set to the show but if there were a year...

35 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

but if there were a year...

There are actually quite a few years.

2 hours ago, Kaijumeister said:

Also, the Clone Wars Anniversary isn’t simply for the 2003 Series, it’s for Clone Wars as a whole which started in 2003. Honestly it’s a weird thing to make an anniversary of to begin with.

You make it sound like real wars.

4 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

More accessible to the general audience than a set based of a theme park though,  Seriously why that over a tie reaper? They could even have included the same minifigs, I mean it wouldn't have made sense but it would be kinda funny. I mean that was retailer exclusive as this 1083 part sets is said to be so maybe being a retailer exclusive let's them try riskier stuff since the retailer is paying for exclusivity? I dunno if that tracks. But by that logic it might be something unexpected? Maybe one day we'll see that moulded faither from that canceled set?

I mean there being more logical choices hasn't always held TLG back but I do agree, I'd rather see a set based on Rogue one, Rebels, fallen order, Doctor Who or bad batch than one based clone wars 03. But I do love cw03 just I love those other things more.

I'm almost tempted to list what would be the best set to see from each of those but I won't go into rampant wishlisting in this thread, maybe I'll go and do it in the dedicated thread later.

10 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

You make it sound like real wars.

Wait so you're saying it's not real? This type of misinformation should not be tolerated!

17 hours ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

No, the CW anniversary isn’t specific to Clone Wars ‘03, it’s actually Disney’s branding of the general “Clone Wars” that has made its way downstream to Star Wars toy manufacturers. Clone Wars ‘03 is no longer canon and Disney probably cares little for it.

It actually is for the 20th anniversary of clone wars 03, as you later admit, but if it was, then the battlefront 2 set wouldn't be any less of an anniversary set than the helmets, as they're both based on the clone wars era.

5 hours ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

It is the 20th anniversary of Clone Wars ‘03, but nowhere has Disney or any toy manufacturer using the 20th anniversary of “Clone Wars” branding made it clear that they are celebrating the ‘03 show at all. It seems to be completely arbitrary. 

So you admit that they're using the 20th anniversary branding, which therefore means it's the anniversary of clone wars 03. Arbitrary or not, that's different than it being the anniversary of clone wars 08.

4 hours ago, Goofster said:

I get why we aren't getting 03-specific sets, but it'd be nice if they threw 03 figs into stuff. For example, they could put Fordo or armored Obi-wan in the swamp speeder, or something. It'd have been nice.

25 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

There are actually quite a few years.

I don't believe you. Name every year.

14 minutes ago, Goofster said:

Wait so you're saying it's not real? This type of misinformation should not be tolerated!

^And this guy literally lives on Concord Dawn, @Agent Kallus. Still gonna say they aren't real wars? 

Edited by Mandalorianknight

It is thought by some people that the original Phase II Clones were based off the 2003 show rather than ROTS. It's especially evident when you look at the top part of the visor.

Is there any word from any of the (reliable) leakers about when we might get some details about the rest of the Summer/September sets? I'm getting very tired of the current speculation, and it feels like we're at the point where we could start getting some concrete information.

27 minutes ago, Meadius said:

Is there any word from any of the (reliable) leakers about when we might get some details about the rest of the Summer/September sets? I'm getting very tired of the current speculation, and it feels like we're at the point where we could start getting some concrete information.

probably not any time soon. we haven't even seen may stuff yet

What's the list for every known and unknown sets for star wars 2023? (In order)

Edited by Goofster

1 hour ago, Jenga Fett1 said:

It is thought by some people that the original Phase II Clones were based off the 2003 show rather than ROTS. It's especially evident when you look at the top part of the visor.

Yeah I thought the same thing

45 minutes ago, Meadius said:

Same man I’m tired

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It actually is for the 20th anniversary of clone wars 03, as you later admit, but if it was, then the battlefront 2 set wouldn't be any less of an anniversary set than the helmets, as they're both based on the clone wars era.

So you admit that they're using the 20th anniversary branding, which therefore means it's the anniversary of clone wars 03. Arbitrary or not, that's different than it being the anniversary of clone wars 08.

I get why we aren't getting 03-specific sets, but it'd be nice if they threw 03 figs into stuff. For example, they could put Fordo or armored Obi-wan in the swamp speeder, or something. It'd have been nice.

I don't believe you. Name every year.

^And this guy literally lives on Concord Dawn, @Agent Kallus. Still gonna say they aren't real wars? 

Sigh. No. Disney is not celebrating the ‘03 Clone Wars show because it’s not canon and it’s too niche by their standards. There hasn’t been a single ‘03 product tied to this branding. There’s zero proof of a connection to the Tartokovsky series, it’s an umbrella anniversary for anything related to clones.

All the clone wars and ROTJ arguments aside, this year seems to be pretty peak imo, W tie bomber, W spider droid, W fang fighter v tie interceptor, W ahsoka sets, W swamp speeder, you get the point, one of the best years we've had in a while, i'd say the last time was 2015/2016, a great mix of different sets, 2021 was close but it was too mando themed.

Edited by Goofster

4 minutes ago, Goofster said:

All the clone wars and ROTJ arguments aside, this year seems to be pretty peak imo, W tie bomber, W spider droid, W fang fighter v tie interceptor, W ahsoka sets, W swamp speeder, you get the point, one of the best years we've had in a while, i'd say the last time was 2015/2016, a great mix of different sets, 2021 was close but it was too mando themed.

Strongly agree. The quality of these play sets, for the first time, feels high enough to display alongside UCS sets. 

3 minutes ago, omegabadbatch said:

obi wan will be in next lego star wars magazine. I dont know which one

Isn't the next one the Xwing? or is the one AFTER that one?

46 minutes ago, Goofster said:

That’s extremely controversial however I strongly agree, we’ve had amazing sets in this line up the only bad sets are the mechs, and the cherry on top is that we have 2 unknown sets that could be top tier