Vendral24

[MOC] A4 Mallard - Lego Ideas

Hello all, I am new to these boards (long time reader but only joined recently). I wanted to share a MOC i've been working on - an A4 Mallard. I've seen a few of these pop up recently so apologies if its getting crowded with this type of train. I've stuck strictly to Lego parts, so no aftermarket wheels/rods etc, to comply with Lego Ideas entry rules. I've built three different liveries so far (two trying to match known surviving examples and one I just like the colour - dark red). I've also included a Sir Nigel Gresley statue (and Mallard duck) as part of the model. 

One thing I am keen to do is figure out stickers for the LNER / Mallard plate / No 4484 or 4486 etc - still struggling to do this with my limited illustrator skills - if anyone has any pointers please let me know! I am also working on a few minor tweaks here and there. Very much appreciate your feedback and if you like it you can support here: A4 Mallard Lego Ideas 

52147686004_6250819f73_h.jpg

52147940095_8161578d6c_h.jpg

52146429322_dca524fa4e_h.jpg

IMG_0006.JPG

Edited by Vendral24
wrong image uploaded (sample lettering looking to create stickers) and it will not delete!

Very nice job @Vendral24. It is a train that would be great for LEGO to add to their lineup. I also like your stickers. Unfortunately my machine is broken otherwise I could have printed them for you (the machine is (ah was) able to print in white and metallic).

Apart from that: welcome to Eurobricks in general and Train Tech in particular.

Very nice rendition of a classic locomotive @Vendral24 and welcome to Eurobricks!  A very commonly done MOC, but an excellent version (I've seen some amazing and some absolutely horrendous ones and yours is on the amazing end!).  Class A4 4468 Mallard is still one of my favourite locomotives and always will be - I've seen it on more than one occasion when visiting the National Railway Museum in York.  

On the stickers front, there are several people out there who print stickers specially for people's MOCs at their request - others will be more helpful in this regard - and you might also be interested in @zephyr1934 at Trained Bricks's piston rods for your personal real life MOC (though I realise this won't work in Ideas as unofficial Lego parts).

One final point - I can see from your profile that you're from Australia.  It may therefore be of interest to you that also in the same livery, another of the A4s (not preserved) was named Commonwealth of Australia.  Five locomotives were selected to pull the Coronation service, named after different parts of the British Empire - the Dominion of Canada (preserved), Union of South Africa (preserved), Empire of India (scrapped), Dominion of New Zealand (scrapped), and Commonwealth of Australia (scrapped).  For your own personal MOC, that may be of interest to you, but 4468 Mallard will be more successful on Ideas than 60012 Commonwealth.  I believe the nameplate for 60012 is still in York preserved.

This looks great.  I have supported it.  Hopefully the support of trains on Lego ideas will encourage them to continue making train sets.

This is superb. I supported too. 

Amazingly well captured and impressive MOC. 

I don't like modular buildings and such being submitted to ideas, as it's certainly not a "lego idea" if they already have it in their portfolio. However I make a big exception for trains as I want to have another creator expert one. Not sure I'll be happy with a hogwarts express UCS, regardless of its ridiculous price tag. 

Thank you all - and thanks for the welcome. 

@JopieK  Thank you! Did you have a website previously selling stickers? If so I may have already bought some from you. I think the main thing I am interested in achieving is making custom parts in Studio with the stickers on them first so I can at least show the model as a render. I've built the model so would definitely like to add stickers to it to give it a finished look. 

@Vilhelm22 agree on the engine being specifically Mallard as most popular - its the iconic representation of the class. I am working on a Kingfisher variant and a silver/grey variant. Have build 3 different colours so far - now just tweaking adding of power functions. Thanks for the advice on stickers/rods. I will definitely look into these for my personal version. Its a shame Lego doesn't consider better parts like this (but I understand all the previous discussions on why). Appreciate the info on all the different versions - I went down a bit of a rabbit hole researching and trying to find reference diagrams to develop the model. Will see how many of these I end up building!

@Feuer Zug @garmsey @Bludchylde @Sunil766 @lego9vtrainfan thank you very much for your support! Its a slow process to build steam for votes (pun intended).

Yes! I have supported this one for sure! This is indeed a great rendition of the A4 class, and would be easy enough to switch into another loco with a different pain scheme (as you have already demonstrated!).

Train projects don't typically have much luck on ideas, despite one or two seemingly in every review! But I wish you all the luck in the world that this one gets through!

On 6/17/2022 at 8:33 PM, Toxic43 said:

Yes! I have supported this one for sure! This is indeed a great rendition of the A4 class, and would be easy enough to switch into another loco with a different pain scheme (as you have already demonstrated!).

Train projects don't typically have much luck on ideas, despite one or two seemingly in every review! But I wish you all the luck in the world that this one gets through!

Thank you @Toxic43 appreciate the feedback - I think I can improve it a bit more still. I agree that train projects don't have much luck on ideas (either getting 10k or surviving the review. I definitely need community support to get this to at least 10k. Have to say though - over 600+ views on this post and i've got maybe 20-30 votes on Ideas in that time so not sure if my model meets the community's expectations or enough care about Ideas. Not sure what to make of it! 

On 6/17/2022 at 7:30 PM, ThePhatController said:

Supported!

@ThePhatControllerthank you very much!

On 6/17/2022 at 3:18 PM, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

Impressive model mate! I was hoping LEGO did something like this after the Crocodile Loco. Will support! :D

@LEGOTrainBuilderSGThank you - I agree entirely - in my mind Lego would produce a few iconic locomotives in similar vein the the Crocodile. Worthy of display pieces and layout - and good stats for modification. Very much appreciate your support!

On 6/20/2022 at 5:03 AM, DET said:

Supported!! Great job!

Thank you! Only 3600 to the next milestone. Much appreciate your support.

For those interested - this is what the locomotives look like built. (figured I should post to this thread rather than starting a new one).

My 4yr old son called dibs on the red one.

Building the A4 Mallard fleetBuilding the A4 Mallard fleet

If you added flames to the sides of the red one, it would look retro 50's and hot. Maybe pinstripes on the dark blue one. Leave the classic Mallard as is. Great trio. They are wonderful in real life.

On 6/29/2022 at 12:22 AM, Feuer Zug said:

If you added flames to the sides of the red one, it would look retro 50's and hot. Maybe pinstripes on the dark blue one. Leave the classic Mallard as is. Great trio. They are wonderful in real life.

Heh - when I can finally figure out stickers (or pinstriping) absolutely will look into this. Thanks!