2 hours ago, jodawill said:

The Harry Potter GWP has already sold out a week before the promotion was supposed to end, whereas this set was available the entire week. Is it possible that castle really isn't as popular as I'd like to believe? :cry_sad: I stayed up until midnight to order this GWP because I thought it would sell out immediately.

It’s popular I’m sure but I doubt it had the pull of Harry Potter as a volume brand. Plus, as Black Feather pointed out, it forced people to buy stuff they’d not buy otherwise. I probably would have just gazed as Optimus Prime from afar if there was no GWP.

I doubt the new castle will sell out straight away either. 

1 hour ago, Rjbricks said:

I doubt the new castle will sell out straight away either. 

I imagine it will run out of stock in stores very quickly on day 1 simply because stores won't have much stock but stock will get replenished if you are prepared to wait.

26 minutes ago, MAB said:

I imagine it will run out of stock in stores very quickly on day 1 simply because stores won't have much stock but stock will get replenished if you are prepared to wait.

I'm fairly sure that the storage space for sets supporting lego.com is just one of the web team's spare rooms. Of the 12 things on my wish list, 6 are out of stock. And they're not all from the year either. But most of the sets are available in-store. It certainly feels like they prioritize keeping store stock levels up (both brand stores and partners). Not great for the brand to see half-empty shelves.

On 7/5/2022 at 2:16 PM, Rattlebricks said:

Sorry I dont mean the whole minifigs being on another sets but rather the head, torsos or printed legs being used on another sets

While there's plenty of examples of CMF accessories and other unique parts ending up repurposed for regular sets, I'm thinking TLM Panda Guy panda head in 80026 Pigsy's Noodle Tank or Series 12 Piggy Guy pig head and legs in 80102 Dragon Dance, and even reissues of whole minifigs (S6 Lady Liberty in 40519 New York Postcard) but for the purpose of your question and how it relates to the S22 Troubadour parts being reused in 10305, the only example I can think of is the TLM2 Giraffe Guy's minifig head was reused in 60234 Fun Fair People Pack and several other sets since then.

edit: S8 Santa parts (torso and head) have been repurposed in other Christmas themed sets, but those parts only make up other Santa minifigs, not new characters. 

Edited by rebelpilot

6 minutes ago, jodawill said:

Has anyone else used this set for MOCs yet?

I would like to see what two or even three sets combined could do. I like your MOC, one could imagine that the trunk is higher than a floor with a second copy. Or even a wider and higher trunk at the same time with four / five sets combined. I imagine a very large tree with a high platform where the Forestmen would watch, like a "natural watchtower" where the structure would fit perfectly. It could be brown in color, which would distinguish it from the black color of the tree.

I already have a set in box, but I still hope that the rumors are true and that the offer will reappear at the beginning of August. It would justify for me the purchase of the castle as soon as it appears. And even if I don't take this one right away, it would lower the price of Forest Hideout on the secondary market and therefore make it possible to obtain it at a lower cost than its current price.

6 minutes ago, Khargeust said:

I would like to see what two or even three sets combined could do. I like your MOC, one could imagine that the trunk is higher than a floor with a second copy. Or even a wider and higher trunk at the same time with four / five sets combined. I imagine a very large tree with a high platform where the Forestmen would watch, like a "natural watchtower" where the structure would fit perfectly. It could be brown in color, which would distinguish it from the black color of the tree.

I already have a set in box, but I still hope that the rumors are true and that the offer will reappear at the beginning of August. It would justify for me the purchase of the castle as soon as it appears. And even if I don't take this one right away, it would lower the price of Forest Hideout on the secondary market and therefore make it possible to obtain it at a lower cost than its current price.

That MOC was actually made from two copies of the set. I was able to get four of them by asking some friends and family to make online orders for me. (I'm just planning to resell the stuff I bought to recoup the cost.) I'm probably going to wait until August before I open any more of them. I want to give one to my son for Christmas, and I kind of want to keep one MISB for myself. Hopefully I'll be able to get at least one more.

Now that we've seen the castle though, I'm a bit less concerned about getting more of these for building purposes. I think the parts are all widely available except for the minifigures and shields. If those are available via Pick a Brick at some point, it will probably be better to just buy the parts. I could see myself ordering every part from this set in bulk and just keep them all in a single tub for unlimited forestmen building opportunities.

I like your ideas. There really are endless possibilities with this theme since it's all about nature. I love that.

17 hours ago, rebelpilot said:

While there's plenty of examples of CMF accessories and other unique parts ending up repurposed for regular sets, I'm thinking TLM Panda Guy panda head in 80026 Pigsy's Noodle Tank or Series 12 Piggy Guy pig head and legs in 80102 Dragon Dance, and even reissues of whole minifigs (S6 Lady Liberty in 40519 New York Postcard) but for the purpose of your question and how it relates to the S22 Troubadour parts being reused in 10305, the only example I can think of is the TLM2 Giraffe Guy's minifig head was reused in 60234 Fun Fair People Pack and several other sets since then.

edit: S8 Santa parts (torso and head) have been repurposed in other Christmas themed sets, but those parts only make up other Santa minifigs, not new characters. 

The CMF breakdancer torso was used for a Monkie Kid civilian in 2020. I think it's become more common ever since CMF production was brought fully in-house.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

The CMF breakdancer torso was used for a Monkie Kid civilian in 2020. I think it's become more common ever since CMF production was brought fully in-house.

Wait, they weren't inhouse before?

10 minutes ago, Triceron said:

Wait, they weren't inhouse before?

The parts used to be made in China using separate molds and I believe inferior quality plastic. I think this is a large reason the price has gone up so much. The more recent minifigures have visibly improved quality.

1 hour ago, jodawill said:

The parts used to be made in China using separate molds and I believe inferior quality plastic. I think this is a large reason the price has gone up so much. The more recent minifigures have visibly improved quality.

Oh wow.  So when did they make the change?  Does that mean many of the earlier CMF series are of questionable quality compared to what we have now?

1 hour ago, Triceron said:

Oh wow.  So when did they make the change?  Does that mean many of the earlier CMF series are of questionable quality compared to what we have now?

I don't know the specifics. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on the subject. I haven't bought enough of them in recent years to notice the exact point in time, but I can definitely tell you the troubadour feels much heaftier than my old ones. I might pull some out tomorrow and measure the thickness of the torsos.

I was frustrated with the minifigures in Benny's Space Squad because they felt light and I had one actually crack just sitting in a tub in the closet. So I measured them. If I recall correctly, I think the 1980s Black Falcon torso was 1.4mm, the BSS torsos were 1.1mm, and the new Black Falcon torsos were 1.2mm. I would guess that the older CMFs are 1.0mm or even less, and the legs are probably thinner in areas I couldn't easily measure.

I know it probably sounds crazy, but I can feel the difference when I hold each of them. I could tell immediately when I got my new Black Falcons that they were thicker because they were heavier. That's why I measured them.

As I recall, the old CMFs also didn't get the color and opacity of the plastic quite right. There's just something off when you, say, look at some white legs from the old ones. They look like cheap knock offs. That's how I remember it anyway. I haven't looked at my old CMFs in a while.

Edited by jodawill

23 hours ago, rebelpilot said:

Thanks for the info:thumbup:

Speaking of quality compare to the newer one, the only thing I noticed from the older cmf is that the legs feels more loose as if its been played alot.

I do have cops from series 1 having a broken left hand, the only cmf I have with broken part.

Edited by Rattlebricks

41 minutes ago, Rattlebricks said:

Thanks for the info:thumbup:

Speaking of quality compare to the newer one, the only thing I noticed from the older cmf is that the legs feels more loose as if its been played alot.

I do have cops from series 1 having a broken left hand, the only cmf I have with broken part.

The legs feeling lose probably indicates that they're made of thinner material and/or manufactured to larger tolerances. I'm not sure that they were ever prone to breaking. I think they just give the overall feeling of cheapness.

We should probably start a new thread on this subject. It would be great to hear from someone who actually has information on this.

7 minutes ago, jodawill said:

The legs feeling lose probably indicates that they're made of thinner material and/or manufactured to larger tolerances. I'm not sure that they were ever prone to breaking. I think they just give the overall feeling of cheapness.

We should probably start a new thread on this subject. It would be great to hear from someone who actually has information on this.

Fascinating history. Can you link to the separate thread if you start it? Thanks.

14 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Ah, yes. I do remember seeing that one when I was scouring Monkie Kid sets for interesting parts, thanks for reminding me. 

Also, seeing reviews of 10305 I did notice the head of the dark green maiden appears to be the same as the S22 Raccoon Costume. I just checked New Elementary, they have it as a new piece but it could be the case of Lego just assigning it a new part number just like the Troubadour head.  

I'm convinced the only reason there is a knight costume girl in S23 is so the designers of 10305 could offset some of the new parts budget to the CMF line with the printed shield and gold grille piece. Maybe this applies a bit to series 22. 

The reissuing of the Troubadour parts in 10305 is probably the reason why all those pieces were available on Bricks and Pieces earlier this year before it was paused and merged with PAB. I know I got several extra blue hats. 

Edited by rebelpilot

14 hours ago, jodawill said:

I don't know the specifics. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on the subject. I haven't bought enough of them in recent years to notice the exact point in time, but I can definitely tell you the troubadour feels much heaftier than my old ones. I might pull some out tomorrow and measure the thickness of the torsos.

I was frustrated with the minifigures in Benny's Space Squad because they felt light and I had one actually crack just sitting in a tub in the closet. So I measured them. If I recall correctly, I think the 1980s Black Falcon torso was 1.4mm, the BSS torsos were 1.1mm, and the new Black Falcon torsos were 1.2mm. I would guess that the older CMFs are 1.0mm or even less, and the legs are probably thinner in areas I couldn't easily measure.

I know it probably sounds crazy, but I can feel the difference when I hold each of them. I could tell immediately when I got my new Black Falcons that they were thicker because they were heavier. That's why I measured them.

As I recall, the old CMFs also didn't get the color and opacity of the plastic quite right. There's just something off when you, say, look at some white legs from the old ones. They look like cheap knock offs. That's how I remember it anyway. I haven't looked at my old CMFs in a while.

Ah, that makes sense now.

I recently bought a mini from a facebook seller, and he had a mix of knockoffs and authentic minifigs on his listings.  I asked about the knockoffs and he told me they're pretty much the exact same without the logo, and that he had a 'supplier' for em.  And he seemed to have knockoffs of only the minifigs up to around series 17-8 if I recalled, so now this information makes a lot more sense.

3 minutes ago, Triceron said:

I recently bought a mini from a facebook seller, and he had a mix of knockoffs and authentic minifigs on his listings.  I asked about the knockoffs and he told me they're pretty much the exact same without the logo, and that he had a 'supplier' for em.  And he seemed to have knockoffs of only the minifigs up to around series 17-8 if I recalled, so now this information makes a lot more sense.

Wow, that's interesting! I wonder if that's the real reason they stopped outsourcing them.

14 hours ago, Triceron said:

Knock off CMFs came out and were available on aliexpress but it was some years after the originals. I bought a few to see quality, they are very different quality feel plastic to genuine ones.

Anyone have any info on when the Forestmen Hideout gift with purchase is going to be available in August? I have concern the set won't become available until August 8th (the official launch of the castle). However, by then, the castle may sell out during its "early release" to VIP's. I mean, if I have to choose between getting the Castle early or getting the forestmen set, I'm going forestmen. But, it's possible the forestmen set will be a gift exclusive to the castle set this time around. In which case an August 3rd availability for the Forestmen set will probably happen.

Well, I never dropped anything close to $400 on a LEGO set before.  Probably, many castle fans in the same boat.  So I hope they at least give us the GWP with it.  They haven’t even confirmed it’s coming back, let alone have a date.  But seems like the whole purpose to bring it back would be to go with the castle. 

13 hours ago, Black Feather said:

Well, I never dropped anything close to $400 on a LEGO set before.  Probably, many castle fans in the same boat.  So I hope they at least give us the GWP with it.  They haven’t even confirmed it’s coming back, let alone have a date.  But seems like the whole purpose to bring it back would be to go with the castle. 

I believe they have confirmed availability at the time of the big castle release, but I don’t think we’ve received an update on that, nor do I recall a specific date relative to VIP/regular order dates. 

1 hour ago, SirBlake said:

I believe they have confirmed availability at the time of the big castle release, but I don’t think we’ve received an update on that, nor do I recall a specific date relative to VIP/regular order dates. 

Just seen on Reddit that it should be August 1-15.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legodeal/comments/w711e3/most_regions_legolegocom_august_promos_00/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Yup Brick Clicker also confirmed Aug 1-15. Some Pirate treasure thing on starts on I think Aug 4th too, but $50 purchase so it'd be a smaller thing.

So guess I'll have two more Hideouts, one with a couple viking ships on Aug 1 and one with the castle on Aug 3