Andy Glascott

A Layout in Three Eras - 4.5v, 9v and 12v - Photo update!

(Click to skip to the post with the latest photos)

The Backstory:

For years I've wanted to be able to display my 12v collection at shows/exhibitions/libraries or wherever, but the wiring is a challenge - I reckon on my last full layout there was 250 to 300 feet (75-90 metres) of the stuff, which on a static layout is one thing, but one built in modules for transport is a challenge. Three or four months ago I came up with a solution (more on that below) and the dreaming started. After much playing in Bluebrick, and nostalgic posts appearing here about older era trains, I settled on a plan. I still had a bunch of my old blue track from the 4.5v era, but no motors. Off we go to Bricklink then!

The Layout

So, here's the plan. Ten years ago I had a small portable layout on 4 modules, each 3x5 baseplates, and over the years have simply added more of these. Following my Bricklink spree, I now have 2 working 4.5v motors, so rebuilt the loco from set 183 and I have the loco from 7720 in progress. These 2 will feature on the 4.5v loop below, which is 3 of those modules.

4.5 v Loop

Next to the 4.5v loop will be the showpiece, the main 12v loops. 

51904438463_d214a304f0.jpg12v Lower by andyglascott, on Flickr

And on the right of the layout will be the 9v loops. Unlike the other 2 eras, I will have 9v track  left over, so this is likely to be expanded in due course, particularly as @michaelgale releases motors, power supply etc. 

51904674644_951964a0ce.jpg9v Loops by andyglascott, on Flickr

Lastly, there will be another 12v loop, elevated, which will run across the back of all three eras. 

51904993305_d958869ced_c.jpg12v Upper by andyglascott, on Flickr

Putting all of those together looks like this (the white baseplates are roughly where the mountains, tunnels etc will be for the elevated sections. The green and grey sections are simply so I could keep track of where the 3x5 modules were to try and avoid having curves/points on more than one module. When it all comes together, in most likely a couple of years, I'll be able to run 6 trains at a time. 

51903385432_23ef24526e_c.jpgWhole Layout by andyglascott, on Flickr

The Beginning

After all the planning, and clearing away of my last (incomplete) layout, I've finally started building the first module, part of the 4.5v loop. I decided to start here as this will be the quickest era to build, and to a large extent, each era can also be displayed as a stand-alone smaller layout. These three modules will be countryside/farmland, and the trains will reflect the farming side of it when they get built. 

51903401127_7e0994d8af_c.jpgModule 01 Pic 02 by andyglascott, on Flickr

The 12v Wiring

The solution that I've come up with is fairly simple, but does involve taking a drill to some baseplates.... At each of the 12v points or signals I'll drill a small hole through the baseplate and the wood for each module, thread the wire through and attach either the original Lego plugs or a quick connect/release plug/connector so that when the layout is set up I'll use already measured lengths of wire to go from that point to the control panels, which will be on their own module. 

This is going to be a heck of a journey, and build, I'll post updates from time to time, particularly at landmark moments such as completing an "era". I always said, growing up, I was keeping my Lego for my kids. It was really only an excuse, and I'm really glad I didn't sell my old blue track even though I didn't, for years, think I'd use it. Sadly my original 4.5v motors, battery boxes, lights and even signals are long gone, but I was only 7 or 8 when I got 7720.... 

Edited by Andy Glascott
Updated Title and link to images

That is a massive and impressive layout. Definitely build in mini-goals to hit along the way (like completing an era, or even just completing a loop, or section, or tunnel)

Thanks y'all. @Feuer Zug, the recent period builds were part of the inspiration. @zephyr1934, the small goals are a must! I've found over the years when I build a big layout all at ones I concentrate on the big picture to the detriment of details. Years ago I built a 4 module layout and spent time on each one adding the details that make a layout pop and am enjoying doing that on this first module, mentally designing some stickers while having dinner with the family putting the repetitive hills etc together and so on.  

Fabulous idea - take your time and enjoy your creation step by step! :wub: The first part of the Blue Era section is a really good start! :thumbup:

Ciao!

Davide

So, module 2 is complete and module 3 is underway. I have a deadline too, these 3 modules, the 4.5v part of this overall project are due to appear at Ashland Train Day with RVALUG on April 30th, so if you are in the greater Richmond, VA area, drop by. Here are the pics. 

52000548008_4f561cf7d4_c.jpgModule 2 Complete by andyglascott, on Flickr

The full module, which should line up with the other one.... I'll test that when all 3 are ready.

52001018540_aa22083ac4_c.jpgBillboard and a bit of story by andyglascott, on Flickr

Billboard with a little of the story behind the layout.

52000484251_a7bf9b7af9_c.jpgLevel Crossing on a curve by andyglascott, on Flickr

This was the biggest challenge on this module. All the track is ballasted, so raised up one plate, which means the regular level crossing slopes don't work. Add in the curve and it took a bit of engineering. Thankfully the new 1x2 plates with curved ends made it all possible.

52000740904_3b61a69a33_c.jpgPicnic/Rest area by andyglascott, on Flickr

You might call this the feature of this module, a rest area for folks on the road. All my cars, trucks etc are boxed away for now but will appear on the 30th. 

That "hill" made of green bricks!!!

It's something I've always wanted to do (and never tried - but it's absolutely good!) 

GREEEEEEAT! :pir-love: :thumbup:

looks sooo good! i love how you managed to keep the overall look and feel of that era but incorporated some new elements

Wonderful recreation of the classic feel. I love the green brick hill. How you created the curved level crossing (even with the new stuff) is cool. The billboard with explanation is perfect. Can't wait to see the full layout.

The first section, the 4.5v era is complete! Well, almost, but enough to show last Saturday at Ashland Train Day in Ashland, VA as part of the Richmond VA LUG. And by almost, I mean the top of the third module is flexible space that can be adapted depending on the show/event, so will be remodeled from time to time. Anyway, on to the pics and a video. 

The whole 4.5v layout complete for the first time, during set-up last Saturday.

52048797663_da2cc7e073_c.jpg4.5v layout by andyglascott, on Flickr

And video of it all in action. It turns out the clutch power on a 40-ish year old battery car is a bit suspect, the lid kept popping off, hence the rubber band to keep it in place on the day. It'll be clear tape next time.

52049259280_2182d95d32_c.jpg4.5v layout by andyglascott, on Flickr

This module doesn't have a lot of detail, just a lot of mountain as it is also one end of the elevated 12v loop that is part of the overall project. I might play with the tunnel entrances a bit over the summer to dress them up a bit. 

52048771086_2baf94515f_c.jpgTunnel Entrance by andyglascott, on Flickr

The top can be repurposed, but will be used each Halloween to dispense candy both at home on the day of and at our church Trunk or Treat, and by October will have more detail to it, but can also easily be turned into a lake or other feature. The conveyor does work, and was fitted only a day or two before the show.

Candy Mine

There are a couple more pics and 2 more short videos over on Flickr. I've got a lot on over the next 6 weeks or so, so I suspect work on the 12v section won't start of a couple of months, but putting this together has been a joy. 

Man, that's a *lot* of green!

Great work.  And I think that kid in the video might just think so too!

Superb work. Definitely retains the classic feel of the 4.5v and 12v eras, but with enough modern sets to spice it up. Great display.

On 5/3/2022 at 9:56 PM, Ropefish said:

wonderful work!

On 5/4/2022 at 1:09 PM, Paperinik77pk said:

SPECTACULAR!!! :pir-love:

On 5/4/2022 at 2:46 PM, ThePhatController said:

very impressive. looks great

On 5/4/2022 at 3:43 PM, XG BC said:

i have only one word for this: awesome!

18 hours ago, ivanlan9 said:

Man, that's a *lot* of green!

Great work.  And I think that kid in the video might just think so too!

7 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Superb work. Definitely retains the classic feel of the 4.5v and 12v eras, but with enough modern sets to spice it up. Great display.

Thank you all, I’ve really enjoyed this first section, hopefully the rest turn out just as well.