12 hours ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

If you're getting bored from endless LR 13000 discussion, rebuild it and try to dig something

https://reb.li/m/161646

Wow, this is amazing. This model is also so much more display space friendly 

hello everyone! i just got this set and have completed the entire base. i will be redesigning the entire set and wanted to ask a few questions. im going to widen the tracks by adding an entire additional track to each track frame then connecting the two separate tracks together with an 11 length beam on each singular track part to make one large wide track on each side. my question is that i want all motors to be hidden in the tracks and im not sure on how to get enough power with the limited space ill have inside the track frame. i was thinking of using 2 angle motors connected to each drive sprocket in each track with 0 gearing. so two angle motors would drive the  left track and two would drive the right with 0 gearing. do you think these 4 motors will have enough power or is gearing for a set of this weight absolutely needed? any tips and advise is greatly appreciated ! 

5 hours ago, nugnug115 said:

hello everyone! i just got this set and have completed the entire base. i will be redesigning the entire set and wanted to ask a few questions. im going to widen the tracks by adding an entire additional track to each track frame then connecting the two separate tracks together with an 11 length beam on each singular track part to make one large wide track on each side. my question is that i want all motors to be hidden in the tracks and im not sure on how to get enough power with the limited space ill have inside the track frame. i was thinking of using 2 angle motors connected to each drive sprocket in each track with 0 gearing. so two angle motors would drive the  left track and two would drive the right with 0 gearing. do you think these 4 motors will have enough power or is gearing for a set of this weight absolutely needed? any tips and advise is greatly appreciated ! 

They probably have enough torque but I think you are going to want gearing anyway to make it move at some kind of sensible speed (ie. slow).  If you try and make it slow by using direct drive and running the motors at slow speed it's unlikely to move.  I don't have the set but from photos it seems like there would be tons of space if you are going to double the track widths.  You should be able to fit in gearing.

If you are going to double up the tracks I would go for covering them with tiles or just leave them uncovered.  Lot's of examples in the past of people doing both and they both look good.  Liftarms (beams) are not going to look very good, or at least they aren't going to look very crane crawler like.

5 hours ago, mdemerchant said:

They probably have enough torque but I think you are going to want gearing anyway to make it move at some kind of sensible speed (ie. slow).  If you try and make it slow by using direct drive and running the motors at slow speed it's unlikely to move.  I don't have the set but from photos it seems like there would be tons of space if you are going to double the track widths.  You should be able to fit in gearing.

If you are going to double up the tracks I would go for covering them with tiles or just leave them uncovered.  Lot's of examples in the past of people doing both and they both look good.  Liftarms (beams) are not going to look very good, or at least they aren't going to look very crane crawler like.

thank you , this is a basic render of what im thinking of doing for the tracks , i absolutely want to connect them so it looks like one large track rather then 2 separate ones. when you say cover them with tiles do you mean just put a 1x4 tile on each track linkage , or create an entire system built tiled track which ive seen before. also the sprocket i will be using is the large sprocket that comes in this set , not the small one shown in the render. any tips or opinions are welcome !

lr 13000 track

11 hours ago, nugnug115 said:

do you think these 4 motors will have enough power or is gearing for a set of this weight absolutely needed?

You are planning on using PoweredUp motors, with your own PUp program, correct? If so, you'd need one 4-port hub to operate these 4 motors; and then you can simply use the "SetSpeed" rather than "SetPower" command - provided the motors are powerful enough, the vehicle will move at the speed you selected, and draw as much power as they need to maintain that speed. Even >very slow< but constant speed crawling is possible that way.

Best,
Thorsten   

Edited by Toastie

On 11/3/2023 at 8:57 AM, Oh_Hi_Mao said:

Wow, this is amazing. This model is also so much more display space friendly 

Yes, It is also great as partylight

Oh no, my local Lego retailer has this in discount with the price of 436€. There is a temptation here...

A toy store here i DK had "buy 3 lego sets, get the cheaper for free", so I couldn't resist buying three of theese :look:

The price was already around 500 euro each. 

20 minutes ago, mortenm said:

A toy store here i DK had "buy 3 lego sets, get the cheaper for free", so I couldn't resist buying three of theese :look:

Yep, that's an efficient way to make use of that deal!

11 hours ago, mortenm said:

I like your style!

9 hours ago, BucketWheelExcavator said:

Completely sold out in local stores in Australia after the black friday deal of 20% off. 

Was ready to jump on it but seems many had the same idea.

Glad the set is doing well sales wise!

Couple of days ago when I checked it in my local store, they had 13 in stock, now there's three... So I guess I should either get it now or forget about it.

3 hours ago, aminnich said:

I look for sales occasionally, but I have not seen any in the US.  Has anyone else?

Nope.

I managed to get mine for 580€ with 40% given back on a fidelity card in France so 350€ which seems more acceptable for a set this size.

Edited by Polllux

16 minutes ago, Lego Tom said:

I guess this could be called stock and super modified:

That mid-boom bend scares me a little, same for the weights at the back. Would be interesting to see how many extra modules the stock boom and jib can use without stressing the build too much.

Edited by Danke

1 hour ago, Danke said:

That mid-boom bend scares me a little, same for the weights at the back. Would be interesting to see how many extra modules the stock boom and jib can use without stressing the build too much.

I was thinking the same about the bending, maybe that's why TLG redesigned the set. 

Edited by Jockos

The bending is mostly to do with where it is connected at the middle. The support tie thingies need to attach at the end of the boom, not in the middle. The booms work by transferring the weight down to the base by compressing only, not by being so rigid that they can hold up the weight like a lever.

1 hour ago, allanp said:

The bending is mostly to do with where it is connected at the middle. The support tie thingies need to attach at the end of the boom, not in the middle. The booms work by transferring the weight down to the base by compressing only, not by being so rigid that they can hold up the weight like a lever.

I’m aware and i think that’s an easy fix, i’m more worried about the ballast assembly, it looks precarious with the extra weight and needs to be redesigned. 

1 hour ago, Danke said:

I’m aware and i think that’s an easy fix, i’m more worried about the ballast assembly, it looks precarious with the extra weight and needs to be redesigned. 

Ballast looks worse than it is. Partly because of camera distortion and partly because of the thick carpet which supports the crane but not the small points of contact for the ballast. Here's a picture of the crane on a hard surface:

20231111_072203-X4.jpg

Edited by Lego Tom

On 10/3/2023 at 10:58 AM, Timorzelorzworz said:

This does not justify to want 680€ for a unfinished model with design flaws.

Is someone holding a gun to your head, forcing you to buy it? If so, tell us and we'll call the police for you. :pir_tong2: