Sven J

[MOC] OcTRAINber 2021: Coke Quenching Locomotive in 1/33

Hi all,

Being a steel and mining industry aficionado anyway, this year’s OcTRAINber contest struck a chord.
So I chose to design a 1/33 gauge 1 model of a coke quenching locomotive.

A… what???? *huh*

Please bear with me if I’m not going to explain the industrial cokery process here; it’s too complicated to do this in a foreign language.
Anyway, the thing is: There are special locomotives for that process. They are usually very small, electric, and typically characterized by a bizarrely elevated cab and lateral pantographs.

Here’s a drawing of the prototype I chose, a locomotive that was built by Jung in 1927 for the „Zeche Sachsen“ colliery in Heessen (now part of Hamm) in Germany:
51579481440_aa4011cbda_b.jpg

You’ll immediately recognize the main problem: The engine is extremely narrow and, as if this wasn’t enough, has an outer frame covering the wheels. In 1/33 scale, the frame and locomotive body have to be 8 studs wide, while the outer edges of the wheels already are 7 studs apart… that gave me some serious headache.

But finally I found a solution. Here’s what the digital sketch looks like at the moment:
51577931462_81c3d7337f_b_d.jpg
51577931192_b03efdd40f_b_d.jpg
51579022698_40de34d5a2_b_d.jpg

Rather sparse interior – after all, all the engine has to do is to shuffle back and forth on a single straight track…
51579822830_82ac4742fb_o_d.png

The model is fully motorized with a PF M-motor, a BuWizz (only a brick-built dummy in the picture) and a worm gear for slooooooooow shunting:
51580880149_3c4bb4eb51_b_d.jpg

51579385192_9760400994_b_d.jpg

Now I’ll have to gather parts, start building and hope that I’ll be able to finish until November 15th…

Thanks for stopping by!
Sven

Edited by Tenderlok

Great and original prototype!!! As always, your work is an inspiration for me :wub: - I can't wait to see it on tracks (even curved ones :tongue:)

Ciao!

Davide

1 hour ago, Tenderlok said:

Hi all,

Being a steel and mining industry aficionado anyway, this year’s OcTRAINber contest struck a chord.
So I chose to design a 1/33 gauge 1 model of a coke quenching locomotive.

A… what???? *huh*

Please bear with me if I’m not going to explain the industrial cokery process here; it’s too complicated to do this in a foreign language.
Anyway, the thing is: There are special locomotives for that process. They are usually very small, electric, and typically characterized by a bizarrely elevated cab and lateral pantographs.

Here’s a drawing of the prototype I chose, a locomotive that was built by Jung in 1927 for the „Zeche Sachsen“ colliery in Heessen (now part of Hamm) in Germany:
51579481440_aa4011cbda_b.jpg

You’ll immediately recognize the main problem: The engine is extremely narrow and, as if this wasn’t enough, has an outer frame covering the wheels. In 1/33 scale, the frame and locomotive body have to be 8 studs wide, while the outer edges of the wheels already are 7 studs apart… that gave me some serious headache.

But finally I found a solution. Here’s what the digital sketch looks like at the moment:
51577931462_81c3d7337f_b_d.jpg
51577931192_b03efdd40f_b_d.jpg
51579022698_40de34d5a2_b_d.jpg

Rather sparse interior – after all, all the engine has to do is to shuffle back and forth on a single straight track…
51579822830_82ac4742fb_o_d.png

The model is fully motorized with a PF M-motor, a BuWizz (only a brick-built dummy in the picture) and a worm gear for slooooooooow shunting:
51580880149_3c4bb4eb51_b_d.jpg

51579385192_9760400994_b_d.jpg

Now I’ll have to gather parts, start building and hope that I’ll be able to finish until November 15th…

Thanks for stopping by!
Sven

nice model looks really interesting! even if you cant finish it by then you can use the render as digital models are allowed if they are able to be built physically (no parts in unavailable colors etc.)

Sweet!  That's a kind of loco I thought about making for OcTRAINber--and gave up on as not able to be built satisfactorily in 6-wide.  I like yours anyway, @Tenderlok:grin:

Metta,

Ivan

Edited by ivanlan9
Typo (or brainf*#t)

What a beast!! Those old style glass bottles must have been seriously heavy to have required machinery like that to move them about. (Maybe my internet search using the words "coke" and "quench" must have lead me down a blind alley.)

It would be great if you could get this built in time for the contest, but even if that's not possible it would still be eligible as a virtual build.

Thank you for your kind feedback!

5 hours ago, XG BC said:

digital models are allowed if they are able to be built physically (no parts in unavailable colors etc.)

It's definitely buildable as shown. I would have liked a green locomotive, but some important parts aren't available in that colour.

8 minutes ago, Hod Carrier said:

Maybe my internet search using the words "coke" and "quench" must have lead me down a blind alley.

:rofl:

As the result of a discussion in a German LEGO forum, I redesigned the roof:
51581417276_dfd642474e_b_d.jpg
51582092934_fe6bac0665_b_d.jpg

Unfortunately, now there are two visible studs on top of the sun shields. Also, the roof needs an internal support:

51581618496_9c28dc81ca_z.jpg

Nevertheless, I think the new version looks better. What do you think?

Edited by Tenderlok

The overhanging roof looks better. As for the studs showing, it is LEGO. You can't always hide all the studs. Embrace it, because it reminds us you are building with LEGO and the limits it incurs.

Thanks to Dieter from the Doctor Brick forum, the roof has been modified again, now with half-stud overhang on all four sides:
51584159577_7facef2ee1_b_d.jpg

OcTRAINber: WiP Coke Quenching Locomotive_10

Thanks, Dieter, for your input!

And yet another update...
Some research leads me to the conclusion that the prototype didn't have a sliding-shoe type pantograph, but one with trolley wheels.
So I modified the model once again:

OcTRAINber: WiP Coke Quenching Locomotive_12

51588212073_0ba49f7621_c_d.jpg

Besides, I found some technical figures. The locomotive weighs ca. 17.5 metric tons and produces a whopping 62 HP (no, I didn't forget a "0")...

On 10/14/2021 at 3:41 PM, Tenderlok said:

And yet another update...
Some research leads me to the conclusion that the prototype didn't have a sliding-shoe type pantograph, but one with trolley wheels.
So I modified the model once again:

OcTRAINber: WiP Coke Quenching Locomotive_12

51588212073_0ba49f7621_c_d.jpg

Besides, I found some technical figures. The locomotive weighs ca. 17.5 metric tons and produces a whopping 62 HP (no, I didn't forget a "0")...

the pantograph now looks a lot better than before! wait the loco really only had 62hp? ok i guess you dont need that much power for pushing a single car on a straight and level track but still 62 hp is very little i would have guessed the loco had like 150-200 hp but 62? never would have guessed that!

Real-life building has begun! The chassis is already finished:

LEGO® Coke Quenching Locomotive - Chassis_01

I abandoned the worm gear drive seen in the first draft. Even with the BuWizz power supply in "Ludicruous" mode and maximum motor speed, the locomotive would only have moved at slow walking pace due to the high 12:1 gear ratio. Instead I designed a 1.5:1 gear wheel drive. This required to relocate the M-motor by 2 studs, which means that there isn't room for a full-length axle any more. The two non-driven wheels are now attached by 2L axle pins.

51597728364_b6541021ec_c.jpg

As you can see in my short proof-of-concept video, this revised drivetrain works well. Slow crawling, quick acceleration and fast running are all possible.

Now I'm on holiday for five days. Afterwards, building will go on.

26 minutes ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Maybe too much caffeine in the "coke"???

The last scene in the video is with the BuWizz set to "Ludicruous" mode (11 V), and the model then has a top speed equivalent to ~40km/h in scale 1:1.
In "Normal" mode, top speed is ~25 km/h without load, which seems quite appropriate.

1 hour ago, Tenderlok said:

The last scene in the video is with the BuWizz set to "Ludicruous" mode (11 V), and the model then has a top speed equivalent to ~40km/h in scale 1:1.
In "Normal" mode, top speed is ~25 km/h without load, which seems quite appropriate.

I was looking at some "coke" locomotives right now - there are many models around - it's a really interesting prototype you've chosen to replicate in bricks, and I'm really waiting to see the full model !!! :wub:

Now that @KvadratGnezdo has turned up with another coke quenching locomotive, I'll have to improve... :wink:

So here's a new, more prototypically-looking suspension - it's a bit illegal, but actually holds well:

OcTRAINber: WiP Coke Quenching Locomotive_15

All the best,
Sven
(Back from holiday, waiting for parts...)

Some urgently needed parts arrived last Saturday, and now the locomotive chassis and body are more or less finished. I have to add the details yet, but that will be done rather quickly.
What really annoyed me (again) is Lego's apparent inability to produce consistent colours. At least 10 different shades of blue in this model... :damn:

51655874395_68a2a6474a_c.jpg

12 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

Some urgently needed parts arrived last Saturday, and now the locomotive chassis and body are more or less finished. I have to add the details yet, but that will be done rather quickly.
What really annoyed me (again) is Lego's apparent inability to produce consistent colours. At least 10 different shades of blue in this model... :damn:

dont the different shades of blue make it even more realistic in a way? i am shure the prototype didnt have a 100% uniform color as there where shurely things repaired/patched on it. so in a way that makes it more realistic.

An excellent model of a unique little loco, and a fine addition to your ever-expanding collection!

Unfortunately you're latest photo just shows up as this for me :sad: Just the latest one, the rest of them are fine...

23 hours ago, Tenderlok said: