Still in Terraversa following the hostilities with Oleon, Captain Brickleton and Major Brickford ( @LM71Blackbird ) go for a walk to discuss their plans to expand ETTC presence to every settlement in the Brick Seas. They stop near a barn and decide how they can bring the trade company to the settlements they govern.

backpacks-1.jpg

OOC:

Spoiler

It was my intention to build a cool base and try a new tree idea with this one, but the roof made of backpacks is incredibly fragile. After the 4th time the roof broke and I had to rebuild it, I decided to scrap the base idea and snap some pics before it all fell apart. I highly recommend not building a roof with backpacks.

The barn door is built using a boat prow, which was pretty fun to build

backpacks-proc-2.jpg

The stone wall near the minifigs is rotated 45 degrees using cut wedges, which worked better than I thought it would.

backpacks-proc-1.jpg

While I applaud the originality of the backpacks' usage to build the roof, I'm not a huge fan of the visual outcome. To me, it looks more liked "stacked backpacks" than an actual roof.

That being said, I do like everything else here: the boat pieces used for the barn door and the lower wall made of Nexo Knights shields. Clever way of angling those! I like the visual style you have here. It's a bit cartoony and somewhat unlike your other builds. Kind of looks like something Warcraft-y Viking-esue.

Too bad the roof was to flimsy to add some terrain.

8 hours ago, Khorne said:

While I applaud the originality of the backpacks' usage to build the roof, I'm not a huge fan of the visual outcome. To me, it looks more liked "stacked backpacks" than an actual roof.

That being said, I do like everything else here: the boat pieces used for the barn door and the lower wall made of Nexo Knights shields. Clever way of angling those! I like the visual style you have here. It's a bit cartoony and somewhat unlike your other builds. Kind of looks like something Warcraft-y Viking-esue.

Too bad the roof was to flimsy to add some terrain.

4 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

That's phenomenal. Kinda agree with @Khorne that it doesn't necessarily look like a roof. Still, maximum points for effort!

Thanks guys. Yeah I may redo the roof in another style and submit it as another build with a base / vegetation / different story. As I haven't licensed this one I hope that will be OK :pir-skel: I like the boat prow and pentagonal rockwork a lot and think the roof detracts some.

For this build above I just stuck the backpack neck holes on plate studs, but I think the backpacks could probably be made more secure by using technic pins into technic bricks or technic plates

roof-backpacks.jpg

Perhaps in a future build a roof could be made with muskets :pir-wink:

roof-muskets-1.jpg

roof-muskets-2.jpg

These weird ideas for roof elements came about because I recently did some sorting of spare minifig things and realized I have a lot of some of these pieces - enough they could be used in weird ways

Some pictures from sorting the spares:

Spoiler

sorting-bags.jpg

sorting-guns.jpg

sorting-hats.jpg

sorting-figs.jpg

sorting-legs.jpg

Edited by evancelt

I think it's too bad the backpack technique was too fragile for a base; that would have helped remove it from the immediate focus and made it look more natural.  The texture is a little odd if you look directly at it, but I think it would work well as a less focal point of a larger MOC.

The stone texture with the shields is great!

Good idea to use boat pieces. I like the front, back and the wall. To me it also looks like a Viking house. That might go well with pirates too. Maybe I'll use your idea in my next building.

Points for trying new techniques but the backpack one is a bit lacking texture-wise and so is the shield wall imo (as I find those "stones" too big). Again, purely personal thoughts). By seeing your work, I DO however thought of an alternative, using reddish brown ingots. Maybe they are cool enough (and chocolate-y :pir-grin:

The boat pieces look  viking-er" than pirate-y but their use is very smart and that could definitely work as a fishing shack or whatever you decide in BOBS universe.

What I would really like to see in the future is the "thatched" roof technique using muskets as it looks interesting! 

The roof built from backpacks isn't perfect, but it still works for me. And overall I love the clever part usage throughout. I thoroughly enjoy builds like this. Well done! :thumbup:

9 hours ago, NOD said:

Good idea to use boat pieces. I like the front, back and the wall. To me it also looks like a Viking house. That might go well with pirates too. Maybe I'll use your idea in my next building.

Thanks. Would love to see it in your next building.

3 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Points for trying new techniques but the backpack one is a bit lacking texture-wise and so is the shield wall imo (as I find those "stones" too big). Again, purely personal thoughts). By seeing your work, I DO however thought of an alternative, using reddish brown ingots. Maybe they are cool enough (and chocolate-y :pir-grin:

The boat pieces look  viking-er" than pirate-y but their use is very smart and that could definitely work as a fishing shack or whatever you decide in BOBS universe.

What I would really like to see in the future is the "thatched" roof technique using muskets as it looks interesting! 

Haha thanks. Yes, the end build does look viking-y. I guess the barn builder had a thing for antique styles :pir-grin:

Yeah, the musket roof could be fun! I think I have enough muskets, but only like 30 of the reddish-brown 1x1 tiles w/ clips on top, and like 10 of the reddish-brown 1x2 plates with clip on top. Would either have to find another method to secure them, buy more parts, or disguise the clip parts in the roof.

I have another thatch roof style in mind for when I reuse the walls/boat part of this build in a new build.

3 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

The roof built from backpacks isn't perfect, but it still works for me. And overall I love the clever part usage throughout. I thoroughly enjoy builds like this. Well done! :thumbup:

Thanks! Yeah I love seeing those posts where people make walls out of carrots, fences out of breadsticks, furniture out of pistols, etc. Fun to try it with my excess pieces. I have a few more in mind from my sorting overflows.

On 8/22/2021 at 9:39 PM, CapOnBOBS said:

Stonework with the shield tiles is very smart (and obviously the backpacks are great)

Thanks @CapOnBOBS!

... how many backpacks do you own that WEREN'T involved in this roof? Very clever structure you have there. I go back and forth with liking it and thinking it's an abomination. There's definitely a way you can make it more stable I'm sure.

It actually might work better for terrain than roof, now that I think about it.

9 minutes ago, KotZ said:

... how many backpacks do you own that WEREN'T involved in this roof?

Too many! @PxChris asked for some so I'm going to mail him some this week.

9 minutes ago, KotZ said:

Very clever structure you have there. I go back and forth with liking it and thinking it's an abomination. There's definitely a way you can make it more stable I'm sure.

It actually might work better for terrain than roof, now that I think about it.

Thanks! Yeah there is definitely something to be done from the stacked backpacks :pir-grin: I'm working on another build with the house sans-roof now, so expect to see it again!