Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

6 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

To prompt a real discussion, what actual adult-focused, larger sets (probably $80+) do you think LEGO could do in the Icons range?

The Holy Grail temple is the obvious one, and you could do the journey in a similar way to the Golden Idol temple. Nice one on LEGO Ideas from a few years ago - LEGO IDEAS - Indiana Jones: The Temple of the Holy Grail

I agree that the Grail Temple is probably the most likely next set, should another set be made. I’m not sure how iconic it is and how well it would sell, but I’d always thought that the circus train from the beginning of TLC lends itself perfectly to a set. 

On a related note, my friend and I were talking the other day about potential buildable objects for Indy, but we didn’t really feel any would fit. The fedora and whip are iconic, but kind-of plain, as are the Sankara Stones and Holy Grail. The head of the Staff of Ra might not be iconic enough, and the crystal Skull, Archimedes’ dial, and the Ark of the Covenant might be too controversial. The most iconic object is probably the fertility idol, but I’m not sure LEGO would want to make a build of a woman giving birth. It was fun to think about, but playsets would likely be the best bet. 

I think the Circus Train would also get my vote. Brunweld Castle plus the motorcycle and sidecar chase could also make a good set. 

I would love to see the opening of Dial of Destiny as a set. Maybe the train and part of the castle? Or possibly one or two vehicles instead. 

Diverting slightly, is anyone still having a problem with the boulder mechanism jamming? It seems to get completely stuck and then after a few tries it frees itself. 

Sign me up for a Grail Temple set too, although I’d focus on something more akin to the 2010 Prince of Persia Race Against Time set (I.e. focusing on interior) rather than also trying to replicate the Petra temple facade.

Great Circle game looks great, this might actually push me to finally buy an Xbox. Wish it wasn’t locked behind that and PC only.

Edited by Kaijumeister

6 hours ago, Rwbricks said:

I agree that the Grail Temple is probably the most likely next set, should another set be made. I’m not sure how iconic it is and how well it would sell, but I’d always thought that the circus train from the beginning of TLC lends itself perfectly to a set. 

On a related note, my friend and I were talking the other day about potential buildable objects for Indy, but we didn’t really feel any would fit. The fedora and whip are iconic, but kind-of plain, as are the Sankara Stones and Holy Grail. The head of the Staff of Ra might not be iconic enough, and the crystal Skull, Archimedes’ dial, and the Ark of the Covenant might be too controversial. The most iconic object is probably the fertility idol, but I’m not sure LEGO would want to make a build of a woman giving birth. It was fun to think about, but playsets would likely be the best bet. 

I know a whip would be sorta plain, but honestly... I think it would work. I'd buy it, haha.

What’s the credibility of klockinnews.pl, cause they are claiming that 4 sets that were supposed to release last year are releasing this year. 

I recently wrote this in the SW thread when the topic came up: Two or three weeks ago i asked maxbaut, who is from the promobricks team and he said that their initial info (articles from July 2022 and January 2023) regarding the set numbers 77016 till 77019 was that these will be sets for Indy 5. They don't know if the info was wrong or if these sets have been cancelled early.

Would be kinda strange if these sets pop up now *huh*

I'd call BS unless a more proven leaker corroborates that.  I don't buy it, if they were going to continue the line, it wouldn't have made sense to go with a spring wave, then nothing from the summer or winter, and then come out with 4 more sets in (presumably what this is getting at) the summer.

2 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

I'd call BS unless a more proven leaker corroborates that.  I don't buy it, if they were going to continue the line, it wouldn't have made sense to go with a spring wave, then nothing from the summer or winter, and then come out with 4 more sets in (presumably what this is getting at) the summer.

What's more, if they cancelled or delayed the indy 5 sets, and then watched the film bomb at the box office, I can't see them going "we've made a terrible mistake- put these in production immediately!"

33 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

I agree that I don’t buy it yet, just wanted to see how y’all feel. I’ll buy it once somebody reliable backs it up. But I don’t necessarily feel that a spring wave followed by a summer wave the following year isn’t unheard of. Lego Harry Potter was originally just Summer for the first couple years. Maybe they want it to coincide with the video game. 

30 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

What's more, if they cancelled or delayed the indy 5 sets, and then watched the film bomb at the box office, I can't see them going "we've made a terrible mistake- put these in production immediately!"

Yeah the film bombing isn’t great news but the sets seem to be selling and the whole Temple of Doom backlash so maybe these sets are meant to hold us over till next year where they do a new batch of the trilogy. Maybe they aren’t Indy 5 sets at all. But like I said I’m not really onboard either, just playing devils advocate and being slightly hopeful borderline naive. 

Edited by RODDY

I know I said I wouldn’t post in here anymore, but this is sort of news, so I’ll chime in.

My two cents: This is absolute nonsense :tongue: I stumbled upon the website several weeks ago and it’s pretty clearly just speculation on their part with nothing backing it up. I didn’t report my findings here for that very reason, no point in getting people’s hopes up over NOTHING.

Especially now with Brickmerge having updated their database. We know about every single set releasing this year, including polybags, D2C and GWP sets. There’s no way this slipped through the cracks, especially when it was pretty clear that these were allegedly DoD sets.

Ofc it’s sad and kinda insulting that Indy is the only 2023 theme not to continue (even Gabby gets more sets, as we learned yesterday!!), but I’ve made my peace with it a while ago. Time for us all to do the same :laugh:

It isn´t the first time someone trys to claim this and so far it were always people, that are unknown. So I would take this as attention-seeking. That beeing said it wouldn´t make any sense to bring those sets now after all this time. If they were to put them out it would have been right after release - if they were going to do more, they would have done so last year not this. Whatever reason they had to cancel them, I am pretty sure we won´t see them. 

Also, welcome in the loop again.

Perhaps they weren’t all sets for Dial of Destiny, but rather four more Indy sets which were delayed so some could come out both last year and this year? That doesn’t sound likely. As much as I’d love another wave, it seems that Indy sets, much like what he studies, are history. 

Edited by Rwbricks
Grammar

Does anyone else watch movies and think about how it could be incorporated into a Lego game?

I’ve been playing Lego Jurassic World lately, and it’s very clear where they’ve struggled to find enough material to make a whole 5 levels out of it, as you get some fairly short, relatively uninteresting levels. Especially in the 2nd and 3rd movies.

However IMO Indy fits into the structure very well. These are my ideas for how I think Dial of Destiny could work, with 6 level movies like in Indy 1:

1. Castle + train

2. College + New York City parade

3. Morocco auction + tuk tuk chase

4. Underwater in Greece + boat fight

5. Ear of Dionysius cavern

6. Flying the plane through the fissure + Siege of Syracuse

You all have probably seen this... there was a set from Jedi: Fallen Order (video game). If this game is a hit MAYBE we see something. Also I can not believe that there won't come any Dial of Destiny sets. There has to bee some kind of agreement. New indy sets, new movie, no indy sets from new movie? IMPOSSIBLE!

Dial of Destiny game, perhaps BUT there is a whole new story and characters! 

1 hour ago, legoturtle said:

You all have probably seen this... there was a set from Jedi: Fallen Order (video game). If this game is a hit MAYBE we see something. Also I can not believe that there won't come any Dial of Destiny sets. There has to bee some kind of agreement. New indy sets, new movie, no indy sets from new movie? IMPOSSIBLE!

Dial of Destiny game, perhaps BUT there is a whole new story and characters! 

I have! The game looks excellent.

Unfortunately, I don't think it changes the equation. Star wars is culturally a much bigger deal than marvel, and more importantly, this game is rated M and as such lego will not produce sets for it.

10 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I have! The game looks excellent.

Unfortunately, I don't think it changes the equation. Star wars is culturally a much bigger deal than marvel, and more importantly, this game is rated M and as such lego will not produce sets for it.

I think the game is rated T 

1 hour ago, TheOGLegoGuy said:

I think the game is rated T 

Could have sworn it was M, but seems we're both wrong- there's no listed rating anywhere.

Regardless, games don't tend to get sets for lego. As a general rule, if the films couldn't get sets, the games won't. And Indy 5 didn't get sets. The game, good as it looks, is unlikely to change anything lego-wise, so let's recognize that before we go in our own great circle.

I think LEGO should make a What If...? type set for Indiana Jones where they imagine an older Short Round played by Ke Huy Quan (Everything Everywhere All at Once, Loki Season 2 -- for reference) teaming up with Indy and Mutt! Maybe a $30 dollar Chinatown chase scene? Thoughts?

16 hours ago, Changbricks said:

I think LEGO should make a What If...? type set for Indiana Jones where they imagine an older Short Round played by Ke Huy Quan (Everything Everywhere All at Once, Loki Season 2 -- for reference) teaming up with Indy and Mutt! Maybe a $30 dollar Chinatown chase scene? Thoughts?

Love this idea. Combining the 2 best Indy characters in a Lego mashup of the century, Mutt Williams and Short Round!! If Lego Star Wars is giving us a whacky summer wave this year then surely Indy is next up.

Can’t believe it’s me of all people who resurrects this thread, but I did say I’d come back if there was anything worth discussing :laugh:

I‘m gonna preface this with the following (looking at you, turtle guy): The theme is still dead. 77014 has been cancelled. Period.

Now the news: Unless you frequent the LEGO Indy subreddit, you probably missed that we may see an HD picture of the ToD set soon. I repeat, the set is still cancelled. It‘s just that leakers got their hands on a full render. There‘s proof, because a close-up picture of the Mola Ram minifig is floating around. I’ve seen it myself, and it’s legit. Awesome minifig btw, which stings so much. It‘s currently unclear if the whole picture will be posted as scheduled (April 1st, no joke) because of some leaker drama though…

Ultimately, it‘s just more salt into our wounds, so decide for yourself if you wanna check it out :shrug_oh_well:

Interesting news. I wonder if we'll ever get the back of the box for any more angles/features, and if the high res photo will help to make the MOCs more accurate.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

Interesting news. I wonder if we'll ever get the back of the box for any more angles/features, and if the high res photo will help to make the MOCs more accurate.

That‘s exactly why I‘m hoping for the HD picture to surface! As a purist, I‘m not interested in actually recreating it, but I‘d like to at least see pictures of a recreation! People have already tried (including instructions and parts lists even), but they‘re gonna be way more accurate with an HD picture to work with!

Also, people are already working on custom minifigs, and those will obviously benefit as well :grin:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants