Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

4 hours ago, PGBQW said:

Oh my god, we have the exact same ranking. You're extremely based.

Haha :laugh: Thanks

The Indy movies are near and dear to my heart, so I still appreciate ToD quite a lot, despite its flaws. I just like all the others more :tongue:

In terms of LEGO, I can’t stress how much I love the three sets we got, but this reboot theme will still go down as the most barebones surface-level coverage of any major movie franchise they ever had a license for, and that’s just sad :sadnew:

On 7/5/2023 at 9:20 PM, brickbride said:

Also, Indy isn't LotR. LotR is like the bestselling fantasy novel (well, trilogy) of all time, never even mind the movies and streaming series. I see Indy more along the lines of, say, the A-Team - something with it's beloved place in pop culture but nowhere near the universal appeal. And something that, again like the A-Team, hasn't aged all that well. Honestly  a D2C would surprise me.

I'd say Ghostbusters and Back to the Future would be a better comparison to Indy. The A-Team feels kind of niche compared to those three.

Given that both those films have gotten D2C sets I don't see why Indy would be ruled out, but ultimately it depends on the current sales and subject matter if they decide to go that route in the future. The big one everybody wants is the Grail Temple but I think that one could just as easily be done as another diorama instead of a $500 set.

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Willie Scott on the other hand is by far my least favorite part of the movie and I understand if you've rated it so low for her alone. She could have been replaced by a voicebox with an audio clip of a scream and it'd be the same thing.

Willie is pretty bad but they might have just outdone her with Helena as far as annoying characters go.

3 hours ago, wesker said:

Willie is pretty bad but they might have just outdone her with Helena as far as annoying characters go.

They are the perfect examples of the most annoying film characters in the 80s and modern day respectively. Willie might be more of a drain on my auditory systems but you might be right that Helena is overall a more annoying character, at least everyone else in the film recognized Willie as annoying.

On 7/5/2023 at 6:23 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

Even if the three on shelves do remarkably well- which I haven't seen much on them selling either super well or poorly

Of course, I can't say whether that's a lot for Amazon, but it's shown to me on Amazon Germany (I'm from Austria):

77012 Bought 1000+ times in the last month
77013 Bought 2000+ times in the last month
77015 Bought 400+ times in the last month

That's why I was already assuming that sales would be pretty good and the sets at our SmythsToys in Innsbruck (Tyrol) are constantly on the move.

Even the surface of the packaging box has changed now, previously the surface was slightly rough, now it is a bit smoother and shinier.

On 7/4/2023 at 11:13 PM, PGBQW said:

All the "Star Wars" movies are labeled "Star Wars", but only the first IJ movie is labeled "Raiders of the lost ark".

Like I don't think we're getting any more sets at all, but I don't understand your reasoning here

What I meant by that was that the Star Wars logos for the dioramas were always printed, LEGO even explicitly promised that this should also happen in the future.

If LEGO had planned to release several dioramas for Raiders as well, the Raiders plaque could have been printed.

In general, the Indiana Jones topic was treated very neglected.

Personally, I would have preferred the diorama to have cost 5 or 10 euros or dollars more and everything, or at least the plaque, would have been printed.

Especially since it's probably the last we'll ever see from Indiana Jones, or at least for a long time.
It would have been a worthy ending for me.

All three sets, but especially the diorama, are really good sets, but unfortunately the stickers spoil the picture a bit.

But of course I can only speak for myself, everyone has a different or their own opinion and view on it.

On 7/5/2023 at 10:48 AM, wesker said:

That could have just been a matter of utilizing the set's budget. The diorama still introduced two new printed elements. In this case it probably made more sense to give those prints to parts that are used multiple times throughout the build rather than wasting it on a single use quote and logo tile.

26603pb329.jpg14769pb602.jpg

I'm completely fine with just having the occasional diorama or D2C set going forward. At least the theme would still live on even if its in a limited capacity.

Had we gotten a full blown wave of sets based upon the new movie chances are it would've completely killed the theme off in its entirety.

I agree with you, the tiles have very nice prints that can be used again for other things.

And yes, I would like to have more dioramas in the future, but I'm afraid that we can't expect that from the current point of view

At the beginning of the year I was hoping for the complete package, including key ring, magnet figures, LEGO Indiana Jones computer and console game, maybe advent calendar and/or minifigure series,...etc.etc.etc., so everything there was in 2008/2009 and something else on top, because at first I thought that the topic would come back in full.

But of course, better we have 3 sets than nothing at all.

On 7/6/2023 at 8:48 PM, Doddsino said:

Still, I think there is a future for Lego Indy. I would love to see maybe a couple more sets targeted towards adults. I would love to see a high piece Pankot Palace in all it's glory, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

It doesn't necessarily have to be Indiana Jones sets, it would be great if Adventurerer sets would finally come again, or the Lego City Jungle series from 2017 and 2018, the Indiana Jones figures are great to integrate into the theme .

Of course, license sets would be great and it would be great if 77014 came along to at least round off the one ailing wave, but adventure sets would also be great.

It is possible that today's children may not be able to identify with a hero from the 90s, but also children of the current generation will still be up for adventure, or am I wrong.

For me Indiana Jones is the Lego theme of the year and The Temple of the golden Idol is the second most beautiful set of the year after Rivendell. Although it seems unlikely at the moment i really hope we'll get more Indy sets in the future. Even if its just a diorama every now and then. 77013 and 77015 also have many great parts for mocs and especially 77013 is the best priced licensed set ever. I got both sets twice. I am unsure about the fighter plane chase though but i guess i'll pick it up (for the minifigs) sooner or later too :pir_laugh2:

1 hour ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

For me Indiana Jones is the Lego theme of the year […]

Had you asked me before March, I would have agreed wholeheartedly. Now, not so much :tongue: My theme of the year award instead goes to Disney 100. LOTR scores the silver medal, and bronze is currently a toss-up between Harry Potter and Indy. Whether Indy gets kicked off the podium depends on how good the Gringotts set is, and since it sounds like a great set, it ain’t looking too good for Indy :grin: 

And depending on how much I like the Ahsoka sets, Indy might even end up in fifth place. Never thought I‘d say that

16 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I LOVE short round. He's the only kid character that I remember actually relating to as a kid (as opposed to child anakin in TPM, Ahsoka in early TCW, or any of the other billion characters),  and perhaps consequently, the only one I can tolerate as an adult. I love his mirroring of Indy in scenes, and how Indy clearly sees him as a sort of son. I wish he was in KotCS or DoD.

Willie Scott on the other hand is by far my least favorite part of the movie and I understand if you've rated it so low for her alone. She could have been replaced by a voicebox with an audio clip of a scream and it'd be the same thing.

Exactly. Short Round had character and at the same time managed to not be annoying. And like you said, Willie is annoying but she is actually meant to be annoying, since in-universe characters consider her to be so. Current day Hollywood doesn't seem to know how to write its way out of a paper bag, it's beyond me that people still defend the new movie.

21 minutes ago, bricks4live1972 said:

Hi i had been away for a while so couldn;t follow anything but the next sets will be released this jaer 

77016 , 77017 ,77018 and 77019 ?

No, these sets were either cancelled or never existed in the first place.

I just saw DoD and... wow. What a mess. I mean, it there wasn't anything terrible, it was just terribly boring. Half the movie is just unexciting chase scenes, and the best they get is when Indy rides a horse though the subway.

Indy is his good old self, but they sure squandered the premise of him fighting time-traveling Nazis. The movie just isn't fun, and if there's a film series that exemplifies fun it's Indiana Jones. So, yeah. Still a better ending than Rise of Skywalker.

Personally I'd rank all the movies like this;

1. Raiders
  2. Last Crusade 
  3. Crystal Skull (I know, I know)
  4. Dial of Destiny
  5. Temple of Doom (It's been over a decade since I've seen seen it, I just don't remember ever liking anything in that movie. Not that I particularly liked anything in DoD, but since that one doesn't have Willi Scott, that definitely puts it above ToD)

Figured I would throw my ranking in:

1. Raiders

2. Last Crusade

3. Temple of Doom

4. Crystal Skull

5. Dial of Destiny

Personally, KotCS grows on me as I rewatch it. It's definitely below the original trilogy, but the hate for it is way overblown in my opinion. DoD I'm still pretty mixed on but at the end of the day it doesn't have the mood that the others have. Maybe it's the lack of Spielberg. To be fair, at least him dropping Indy 5 gave us The Fabelmans, and that's a good enough trade-off in my opinion.

I haven't had a chance to see DOD yet but I distinctly remember spending half of TOD with my head behind my boyfriend's shoulder hiding my eyes from all the slimey, slithering critters & insects and totally gross monkey brain dinner scene, nevermind the whole sacrifice bit.  So I suspect that that one will always remain at the bottom of my list despite a couple of good scenes.  Last Crusade is definitely my favorite almost tied with Raiders.  

My ranking would be something like this:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Last Crusade

The Temple of Doom

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Dial of Destiny

On 7/8/2023 at 3:10 AM, wesker said:

I'd say Ghostbusters and Back to the Future would be a better comparison to Indy. The A-Team feels kind of niche compared to those three.

Fair enough. I don't know either of these franchises well enough to compare them. I just feel that the A-Team has the same relative popularity and nostalgia factor going for itself, while at the same time the military angle, mental illness played for laughs, sexism, and excessive smoking would be much more problematic today. Much like Indy's premises and tone, which are also fairly dated. But I've never even seen Ghostbusters, so for all I know it's the same thing there?

Edited by brickbride

Just saw the movie. It was amazing! It felt like such a good homage to the first 3 and even the 4th. Also felt like some great character development and felt like a good closing chapter by the end of it.

Might go see it again just for the music.

I saw the movie on the 4th of July and was just kinda indifferent towards it. As fan-servicey as it was (and with how dodgy the de-aging was in a few shots), I had a blast watching the opening 1944 scene. That felt like classic Indiana Jones to me in a way that, for the most part, the rest of the film didn’t. The rest of the movie wasn’t bad but not great either. Like others have said, it just wasn’t super fun to me. Even the soundtrack was pretty mediocre here and this is John Williams we’re talking about. I will say that Harrison Ford gave an excellent performance during that scene on the boat. As far as ranking the films:

1. TLC (narrowly beats out ROTLA because I love the action sequences in this one as well as the dynamic between the Joneses.)

2. ROTLA

3. TOD

4. KOTCS

5. DOD

I honestly had a good time rewatching KOTCS a week or two ago so while it’s definitely worse than the original three, I enjoyed it more than this one. I prefer either of TLC or KOTCS’s endings for the character. I just wish they did more films during the 90s.

As for the Lego theme, I still would have liked to see some DOD sets despite what I thought about the film. Like I said, I loved the opening 1944 scene and would love a set based on that, though the Nazi imagery probably takes those options off the table. Same for Voller’s plane. Still, the parade or tuk-tuk chases are good set material.

As it stands, I’m still disappointed that the three sets we got in April are probably the only Indy sets we’re getting for this revival but at least those three sets are all incredible. I still haven’t picked them up but I look forward to doing that in the next few months.

On 7/7/2023 at 1:11 AM, brickbride said:

I haven't seen the new one, but wouldn't it pretty much have to be better than ToD? Like, it not being wildly racist and needlessly violent,  and it not having a super annoying sidekick character would be enough. What am I missing here? Is ToD somehow considered the high point of the franchise? I thought that was LC, Sean Connery and all, or possibly Raiders for introducing the character.

Wildly racist? What do you mean? You mean the scene in Pankot Palace where they're eating the animals? I thought that was quite obvious there to show that there was something weird about this place. I mean, the village Indians didn't eat baby snakes and monkey brains.

And who was the annoying sidekick? Short Round? He's awesome. Way better than Mac or Bumblin' Marcus in Last Crusade. If you're referring to Willie...I like her too. At least she has a character and an arc.

As far as needlessly violent. I'm okay with that. I don't go into an Indiana Jones movie to watch sanitized action. If I wanted that, I'll take that from just any other action franchise from the last 30 years. Give me blood and guts. Give me Indiana Jones blowing a guy's brains out after he's screaming while he's on fire. Oh wait...that was Raiders!

Last Crusade was a fine finish to the original trilogy, but it was a very safe movie. It took no risks and borrowed HEAVILY from the structure of Raiders. Sean Connery was fine, but most of the movie seems to prefer wacky comedy over action, something that Crystal Skulls continued to do. I prefer my comedy in Indiana Jones to come from stuff like Jones hitting a innocent pedestrian with a truck, sharing a laugh with a Nazi before booting him out of the truck.

On 7/7/2023 at 7:43 AM, sammy_zammy said:

Hey!

I became interested in Indy when Crystal Skull released when I was a kid. Very much helped by the Lego theme.

Also, people who are kids now were not kids when Crystal Skull came out. The two have nothing to do with each other.

Speaking as someone who was a kid at the height of when Indiana Jones was popular, I assure you that the fandom of Indiana Jones in 2008 wasn't even close to what it was in 1989.

I'm glad you liked the movie, but Indiana Jones at one time was equally as popular as Star Wars. 

3 hours ago, Doddsino said:

Wildly racist? What do you mean? You mean the scene in Pankot Palace where they're eating the animals? I thought that was quite obvious there to show that there was something weird about this place. I mean, the village Indians didn't eat baby snakes and monkey brains.

And who was the annoying sidekick? Short Round? He's awesome. Way better than Mac or Bumblin' Marcus in Last Crusade. If you're referring to Willie...I like her too. At least she has a character and an arc.

There's literally a line in the original script where indy says something like "Practitioners of Hinduism don't eat monkey brains, these guys are some sort of cult". I agree that the film clearly isn't trying to imply that it's a common thing for Indian people.

4 hours ago, Doddsino said:

Speaking as someone who was a kid at the height of when Indiana Jones was popular, I assure you that the fandom of Indiana Jones in 2008 wasn't even close to what it was in 1989.

I'm glad you liked the movie, but Indiana Jones at one time was equally as popular as Star Wars. 

@Doddsino wish I knew how to insert the Denzel Washington “My man” gif or the “Ah, I see you’re a man of culture as well” meme but I’m not that tech savvy on my mobile device lol. Couldn’t agree with more with everything you’ve said about the Indiana Jones series. It was HUGE when I was a kid being born in the early 90s. The Disneyland ride was a big deal when it was announced and when it opened. Unfortunately, as time has passed and not many movies have been made, the hype has sizzled. I’m a huge fan of Harrison Ford but I think Disney’s making a huge mistake not going the James Bond route and recasting. They really just need to reboot the Indy franchise. New actor, new writers, new director. I think there's a lot of potential for some excellent movies with a treasure-hunting, nazi-punching archeologist.

It also saddens me that not a lot of people on here are ToD fans. It’s personally one of my favs. Lots of unforgettable action scenes. @Mandalorianknight I’ve also caught that line during my viewings and thought the same thing.

5 hours ago, Moon_Knight said:

@Doddsino wish I knew how to insert the Denzel Washington “My man” gif or the “Ah, I see you’re a man of culture as well” meme but I’m not that tech savvy on my mobile device lol. Couldn’t agree with more with everything you’ve said about the Indiana Jones series. It was HUGE when I was a kid being born in the early 90s. The Disneyland ride was a big deal when it was announced and when it opened. Unfortunately, as time has passed and not many movies have been made, the hype has sizzled. I’m a huge fan of Harrison Ford but I think Disney’s making a huge mistake not going the James Bond route and recasting. They really just need to reboot the Indy franchise. New actor, new writers, new director. I think there's a lot of potential for some excellent movies with a treasure-hunting, nazi-punching archeologist.

It also saddens me that not a lot of people on here are ToD fans. It’s personally one of my favs. Lots of unforgettable action scenes. @Mandalorianknight I’ve also caught that line during my viewings and thought the same thing.

They really could've got Alden back again to be indy after he was Han solo in Solo.

10 hours ago, Doddsino said:

As far as needlessly violent. I'm okay with that. I don't go into an Indiana Jones movie to watch sanitized action. If I wanted that, I'll take that from just any other action franchise from the last 30 years. Give me blood and guts. Give me Indiana Jones blowing a guy's brains out after he's screaming while he's on fire. Oh wait...that was Raiders!

Last Crusade was a fine finish to the original trilogy, but it was a very safe movie. It took no risks and borrowed HEAVILY from the structure of Raiders. Sean Connery was fine, but most of the movie seems to prefer wacky comedy over action, something that Crystal Skulls continued to do. I prefer my comedy in Indiana Jones to come from stuff like Jones hitting a innocent pedestrian with a truck, sharing a laugh with a Nazi before booting him out of the truck.

Well I get where they're coming from calling ToD racist. But personally I'd call it culturally insensitive rather than racist, racism suggests a viewpoint of one race being inferior to another, and whilst the film does have quite a few unflattering and unfair stereotypes and caricatures of the Indian people, I don't think it really ever really suggests that the Indian people as whole are weak, stupid, evil or in any way inferior. I think the word racism shouldn't have been used so lightly.

All that said, I do personally place ToD at the top of the list. It's just the most fun. And I have to agree with @Doddsino that Raiders and Crusade are really too similar. Both are Indy stumbling across a plot involving Nazis in the desert seeking biblical artifacts. I would put Crusade above Raiders, just because of Indy's Dad, he's a great sidekick character (though short round has to be my favourite sidekick from the whole franchise).

Overall

1: Temple of Doom.

2: The last Crusade.

3: Raiders of the lost Ark .

4: Kingdom of the crystal skull.

I haven't seen Dial of Destiny yet, I'll wait for it to show up on D+.

On 7/7/2023 at 11:30 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

I LOVE short round. He's the only kid character that I remember actually relating to as a kid (as opposed to child anakin in TPM, Ahsoka in early TCW, or any of the other billion characters),  and perhaps consequently, the only one I can tolerate as an adult. I love his mirroring of Indy in scenes, and how Indy clearly sees him as a sort of son. I wish he was in KotCS or DoD.

Fair enough! Tbh, I don't actively hate him, I'm just not a huge fan.

I do love when he mirrors Indy, I think that's very fun.

That being said, I do not think him being in DoD would've made the movie any better hahahaha

On 7/8/2023 at 1:18 PM, DrHenryJonesJr said:

If LEGO had planned to release several dioramas for Raiders as well, the Raiders plaque could have been printed

Ohhh, I get you now!

Tbf, even if we got more Raiders set, I don't think we'd gotten any more dioramas?

The only other scene that would justify one would be the Tomb where they find the ark, and that's already a set. Maybe the map room?

10 hours ago, Doddsino said:

Last Crusade was a fine finish to the original trilogy, but it was a very safe movie

I don't think anyone would disagree that Temple of Doom takes a lot of risks! Unfortunately, most of them don't really work for me as a whole

On 7/8/2023 at 4:25 PM, Big_Daddy said:

And like you said, Willie is annoying but she is actually meant to be annoying, since in-universe characters consider her to be so.

I agree with that too! But like, she's still annoying!

Best Buy has the Temple of the Golden Idol for $105 ($45 off) this week celebrating Prime Day early. 

1 hour ago, cehnot said:

Best Buy has the Temple of the Golden Idol for $105 ($45 off) this week celebrating Prime Day early. 

Man, that is tempting.

That said, I hate the commercialization of Prime day. He died for your sins, people!

g1movie-600x338.jpg

16 hours ago, PGBQW said:

Fair enough! Tbh, I don't actively hate him, I'm just not a huge fan.

I do love when he mirrors Indy, I think that's very fun.

That being said, I do not think him being in DoD would've made the movie any better hahahaha

It would depend on the extent. If he just showed up at the end? Definately not. If he replaced Helena (Character indy has a connection too, except actually this time. And much more likeable), I think it would have been much better, and I may actually have been ok with the sort of undoing of that end twist with Indy, since it'd come from a place of love.