Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

According to this it says the initial line sold very well (at least in the North American Market anyway). So I don't know. 

18 hours ago, Xzmmc said:

Either way, it's kind of a bummer that it looks like this is all we're getting. This was a chance to fill in the gaps from the original line. I know we'll never get the tank, but why in neither wave did we get a Grail Temple? Come on, the 3 trials are perfect for action features, it practically builds itself.

Yeah, I think it could've been done perfectly in the style of the Golden Idol set. 

Pure conjecture on my part, but Lego merchandise on a specific license probably sells better than more specific merchandise like action figures and bobble heads. At least with Lego sets, they’re full of interesting parts, minifigures, and builds that be appropriated for other interests.

@Tariq j Thanks for sharing that, interesting read! I was a kid when the first Indy wave launched so I don’t remember much, but I do recall there was a LOT of hype for Lego Indy back then going by online websites and forums.

Edited by Kaijumeister

Still baffles that LEGO did not anticipate how popular these sets would sell, can’t find anything in my city and everything’s out of stock!

1 hour ago, Tariq j said:

According to this it says the initial line sold very well (at least in the North American Market anyway). So I don't know. 

Huh, interesting. They’re not gonna do that, but now I really wish they explained their reasoning here. I thought it was due to lackluster sales last time around, but apparently not :shrug_oh_well: Or maybe some sets vastly outsold the others, and we‘re just getting remakes of the top 3 here. (Wouldn‘t be surprised if those actually were the top 3 back in the day)

I got a few fedora/hair combo from ebay. 

A customizer suggested heating up a drill bit on the stove and shape the fedora before using a dremel or sanding tools. 1 try did it. The new Raiders fedora worked out well. 

The front needed to be raised to get that sharp point you see him in the temple of the golden idol. 

20230412_041325.jpg

20230412_041316.jpg

Im glad i took the time on this final hat. I'll  buy more when LEGO releases them on pick a brick and do a few more with this technique. 

Edited by cehnot

Finally got the idol temple set yesterday (originally wanted to get it April first but waited, but I’ve had a bad week so I thought it’d cheer me up)

and holy damn is this a fantastic set. I love it so much, the play features are perfectly set up for this type of set and I hope they continue to implement features into the diorama range. I’m a bit sad that we don’t get 3 Indie’s to have in the 3 scenes but he’s also in a cheap set so that can be done. So happy with this set. If this is all we get, I’m atleast glad that this set exists.

im going to get the other sets down the line. If it’s these 3 and done then I want to spread them out…

On 4/11/2023 at 7:22 PM, Kaijumeister said:

@Tariq j Thanks for sharing that, interesting read! I was a kid when the first Indy wave launched so I don’t remember much, but I do recall there was a LOT of hype for Lego Indy back then going by online websites and forums.

Same here! Yeah there was a lot of hype for the theme back then. 

On 4/11/2023 at 8:45 PM, BrickBob Studpants said:

Huh, interesting. They’re not gonna do that, but now I really wish they explained their reasoning here. I thought it was due to lackluster sales last time around, but apparently not :shrug_oh_well: Or maybe some sets vastly outsold the others, and we‘re just getting remakes of the top 3 here. (Wouldn‘t be surprised if those actually were the top 3 back in the day)

It also raises the question as to why LEGO didn't continue the original line in the first place. Maybe the 2009 wave didn't sell as well as the 2008 one? 

17 minutes ago, Tariq j said:

It also raises the question as to why LEGO didn't continue the original line in the first place. Maybe the 2009 wave didn't sell as well as the 2008 one? 

Maybe the plan back in the day was always to release four waves? If there were sets planned for 2010 that then got cancelled, I’m sure we would’ve heard about them at some point :shrug_oh_well:

They‘ve finally added more information about the Indy sets on the product page: 

https://www.lego.com/en-ch/themes/indiana-jones/about

They finally acknowledge DoD, but also make it clear that these sets are meant to tie in with it. If you scroll down, there is even a small FAQ section specifically about DoD. BRUH :jollyroger:

47 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

They finally acknowledge DoD, but also make it clear that these sets are meant to tie in with it. If you scroll down, there is even a small FAQ section specifically about DoD. BRUH :jollyroger:

This whole situation is so odd, but it definitely seems to be a Disney/Lucasfilm decision. Across the board there is not much merchandise for the new film but a heavy emphasis on the original trilogy, with most new merchandise being based on Raiders. Unless we get a surprise D2C like The Little Mermaid did I guess that confirms that's all we're getting this year. Oh well. :/

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I’m just laughing at the familiar faces section that talks about iconic characters yet they include the Hovitos Warrior over the literal main antagonist of the first film in Belloq. 

this is the wildest thing ever. there is just no literal way that they can just talk about dial of destiny on lego.com without making sets, I have never seen this before bruh.

Also just to be clear, temple of doom is STILL mentioned on the theme description page. So dumb and literally false advertisement unless they freaking release 77014

Edited by HuntFX

47 minutes ago, HuntFX said:

I have never seen this before bruh.

Didn‘t they also advertise Secrets of Dumbledore somewhere? :tongue:

50 minutes ago, HuntFX said:

Also just to be clear, temple of doom is STILL mentioned on the theme description page. So dumb and literally false advertisement unless they freaking release 77014

Oh come on, this is getting ridiculous.

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Oh come on, this is getting ridiculous.

It might sound a bit strange or surprising as I've been almost fanatically behind the LEGO Indiana Jones theme for the past few months, but I've already started to say goodbye to the theme and let it rest.

My sets are built, the other set copies are archived for later, my figure showcase is in place.

I've been checking the status of things here for weeks, but I've come to terms with the fact that the three sets probably mark the start and end of the series at the same time and probably mark the final farewell to LEGO Indiana Jones.

While I find the entire release, the set selection, the cancellation of ToD, and the absence and almost certainly non-appearance of the DoD sets to be odd and strange, I've wrapped up with it and found peace with myself for the time being.

I might add something to the discussion here if I can contribute something useful, but for the time being I'll basically get back to my everyday life.

Who knows what the future will bring, maybe we'll get one or the other surprise.

But I'd rather let something surprise me in the future than worry all the time about why LEGO is treating the Indiana Jones theme so disrespectfully and what we could and should have gotten but didn't get.

Let's see what comes :-) Unfortunately, we don't really have it in our hands anyway

Just finished the Well of Souls moments ago. Here's my thoughts:

The figures that we get are pretty much perfect. Indy is excellent, Marion is excellent, Sallah is excellent, the Mummy is excellent. My only complaint is more about the fact that we got the Mummy instead of Belloq or Toht, especially considering that these might be the only sets we get, but it's a super small nitpick.

On a shelf, it looks significantly better than I was expecting it to. That said, the statues sort of dominate the look of the set, and I'll probably remove them. The wall looks very nice as well. My main complaint with the build is the keetorange used for what's supposed to be gold elements. It works on the statues... it looks rough on the archway, and it's TERRIBLE as a 2x4 on the ark itself. It's awful. Would it have killed them to make an extra part in pearl gold? There are also quite a few stickers, though it's nothing especially egregious.

The place this set really shines is play value. The functions are excellent, between the snake-dropping one and the statue that takes out a wall, the mummy drop function, etc. I could definately see kids having a lot of fun with this. 

All in all, I think I will be disassembling it and remaking it into a display for the figures, but for that 6-12 age range, it's an incredible playset. I hope kids actually get their hands on this, and watch the films! Lego Indiana Jones had just finished by the time I was old enough to see the movies for the first time, and I would have killed for something like this to have been available then.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

On a shelf, it looks significantly better than I was expecting it to. That said, the statues sort of dominate the look of the set, and I'll probably remove them. The wall looks very nice as well.

My thoughts as well. When the images dropped it almost looked like the odd one out. But it looks so much better in person.  Agree about the minifigures too, I think Toht with a medallion accessory would have been good here. 

I think they could've even gone a step further and given us the map room as well - I know they're in two different locations but it would've been cool to see.

On 4/13/2023 at 8:59 PM, EdWebhead said:

This whole situation is so odd, but it definitely seems to be a Disney/Lucasfilm decision. Across the board there is not much merchandise for the new film but a heavy emphasis on the original trilogy, with most new merchandise being based on Raiders. Unless we get a surprise D2C like The Little Mermaid did I guess that confirms that's all we're getting this year. Oh well. :/

It's really bizarre. The Hasbro figures and the Funko Pops all seem to be based off the original films. It would be like if, instead of doing merchandise for Toy Story 4, Pixar focused entirely on the first 3 films. 

bought these from target.com for in store pickup and realized they are charging them 20% more than lego! 169.99 for the temple of the golden idol!!! 

16 hours ago, Tariq j said:

My thoughts as well. When the images dropped it almost looked like the odd one out. But it looks so much better in person.  Agree about the minifigures too, I think Toht with a medallion accessory would have been good here. 

I think they could've even gone a step further and given us the map room as well - I know they're in two different locations but it would've been cool to see.

Yeah. Were there more IJ sets coming, I wouldn't have a single gripe about the figs, but if there's only 3 sets, the mummy is really a waste of a spot. Still a good-looking fig, though!

The map room would have been nice as well. They could have put it behind the wall on the level above the mummy, and it would only have added ~50 pieces.

1 hour ago, eldiano said:

bought these from target.com for in store pickup and realized they are charging them 20% more than lego! 169.99 for the temple of the golden idol!!! 

Only that one, though. The other two were overpriced at first (The tomb was DOUBLE!) but have since returned. At least, when I got the tomb at target it was back down to $40.

I did see a small selection of the new Indiana Jones merch at Target and Go Calendar this weekend and all but a few of the toys for younger kids were based on the original three films. I've found this merchandise strategy to be a little odd, but it did give me a boost of nostalgia seeing Indiana Jones toys on store shelves again having been a young kid when KOTCS came out in '08.

It is a major bummer that more and more each day, it seems like these three April sets will be the only Indiana Jones sets we get as a part of the revival but I'm still very excited to get my hands on them regardless. I'll probably hold off on getting them until June so that I can build them when I rewatch the series leading up to when Dial of Destiny releases.

Oh yeah, and as for the Temple of Doom situation, at this point, I’m choosing to believe that a combination of all of the factors discussed here and elsewhere on the interwebs is the reason we’re not getting it. I think there was some issue with the build (whether it was a stability issue or something to do with the Kali statue) and Lego chose to just cancel it rather than delay it because a) they got cold feet about any potential cultural backlash and b) they underestimated demand and decided to half-megablocks this revival of the theme by only doing three sets (based on only the first and third films) and barely promoting them at all. (Which to their credit, the sets managed to sell out anyway.) I hope this success will help the theme live on a little longer but I’m very doubtful at this point. It’ll just be a nice surprise if we do get more.

Edited by The Stud

18 hours ago, Tariq j said:

It's really bizarre. The Hasbro figures and the Funko Pops all seem to be based off the original films. It would be like if, instead of doing merchandise for Toy Story 4, Pixar focused entirely on the first 3 films. 

Sort of, but also sort of not. The perception of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull being really bad probably makes merchandise partners a bit nervous in investing in the new movie. But the original 3 will always sell. So support the new movie with the things people know and love already. It successfully gets people to spend their money. Cynical, but there you are.

In other news, did anyone see the wonderful expansion someone did on Reddit?

Modified 77015 Golden Idol Temple : lego (reddit.com)

Nice video showing an additional section with blades coming out of the wall. Very elegantly done. I look forward to seeing more and more mods/expansions of this set.

Even considering that other companies also primarily focus on the first three movies, this is still a rather weak effort in terms of scope. They easily could have released 6 sets or more, especially since this is most likely the last wave of IJ sets we‘re ever gonna get. IJ just deserved better :sceptic:

15 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah. Were there more IJ sets coming, I wouldn't have a single gripe about the figs, but if there's only 3 sets, the mummy is really a waste of a spot. Still a good-looking fig, though!

The map room would have been nice as well. They could have put it behind the wall on the level above the mummy, and it would only have added ~50 pieces.

Only that one, though. The other two were overpriced at first (The tomb was DOUBLE!) but have since returned. At least, when I got the tomb at target it was back down to $40.

I’m hoping i can get a refund in difference if they change the price back down!!!

I think we are speaking too early on the IJ sets, I’m sure lego will release more, I mean I think they hinted at possible future sets as seen in the pictures of the manual from raiders of the lost ark about the other indiana jones films Temple of Doom Included.  Fingers crossed.  I based it off on the pictures shown of the sets we got already, the plane chase from Last crusade, the titular raiders set , the raiders of the lost ark picture in the well of souls, the temple of doom and IJ and Mutt.  I’m sure they’ll release dial of destiny sets when the movie comes out. 

2 hours ago, eldiano said:

I mean I think they hinted at possible future sets as seen in the pictures of the manual from raiders of the lost ark about the other indiana jones films Temple of Doom Included.  

They just reference the movies to provide context, that's it. This is not a hint towards future sets.