Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

14 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Well, this is strong evidence for the theory that the DoD sets weren‘t cancelled. Instead, they must never have been planned to begin with. Otherwise, they would have designed a more versatile piece :shrug_confused:

This also explains why they didn‘t use it for Grant or Hammond in the new Jurassic Park sets.

Or maybe they were just going to go with inaccurate hair colours… like the pre-2018 Harry Potter theme having the Philosopher’s Stone and Deathly Hallows student minifigs the same height.

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Idk, none of the trailers really did anything for me.

I'm sure the movie will be good tho, Mangold did too great of a job with Logan to fail with the final Indiana Jones movie.

Even excluding the weird comment by Helena, I still agree about the more recent trailer. The tone feels weird, the song doesn't fit, etc.

I did like the original trailer quite a bit, although the end always felt weird to me. The music seems to cut off weirdly in the title reveal, and the last bit is funny, but really strange that they all shoot at the wall. Just have them shoot at least closer to the end of the table they duck below.

1 hour ago, karrit said:

They did the same thing with one of the Disney Princess sets last year.  Not double the price elsewhere but I think it was a 25% markup.  I e-mailed them about it but never got a response.  About a month later they lowered the price to rrp.  I bought my Tomb set from Barnes & Noble because they were the only ones around here that actually had it in stock.  I was considering ordering the Plane one from Target but won't because they are charging over rrp.  Just waiting for Lego or someone else to get the Temple in without a month wait for delivery.  Not placing an order with Amazon for delivery a month out just to have it ordered.

Ugh. Hopefully they lower the price to normal soon. I'm trying to not spend much on lego this year, and I've got a $50 target gift card.

2 minutes ago, sammy_zammy said:

Or maybe they were just going to go with inaccurate hair colours… like the pre-2018 Harry Potter theme having the Philosopher’s Stone and Deathly Hallows student minifigs the same height.

I can't see them giving Indy brown hair for DoD sets. I think more likely we'd just have gotten the existing fedora piece.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I can't see them giving Indy brown hair for DoD sets. I think more likely we'd just have gotten the existing fedora piece.

Old Indy isn‘t bald though :tongue: If DoD sets were ever on the table, they surely would‘ve found a way to create a more versatile piece in the first place! This one can only be used for young Indy or other fedora-wearers with brown hair :shrug_oh_well:

57 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Old Indy isn‘t bald though :tongue: If DoD sets were ever on the table, they surely would‘ve found a way to create a more versatile piece in the first place! This one can only be used for young Indy or other fedora-wearers with brown hair :shrug_oh_well:

Or with hair colour matching hatbands, I could see it in purple with a green hatbsnd and hair for the joker, a grey hatbsnd with a black hat or a black hatband with black hair and any colour hat.

Edited by Agent Kallus

1 hour ago, Agent Kallus said:

Or with hair colour matching hatbands, I could see it in purple with a green hatbsnd and hair for the joker, a grey hatbsnd with a black hat or a black hatband with black hair and any colour hat.

Fair enough, those might work. However, as nice as the hat piece looks, I still think it‘s silly they limited its versatility like that :tongue: 

Another baffling decision in this sea of baffling decisions

My thought on the hair/hat combo for Dial of Destiny sets is that they could have easily done sets for what appear to be flashback scenes - a train battle, for one. Although I would certainly have enjoyed some sets with the older Indiana Jones and gray hair...

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Neither are most other hat-wearing minifigs. I'm not saying it's evidence in favor of DoD sets, I'm just saying that the new hat mold wasn't their only option.

Can't they just dual mold the hat with gray hair, and then print the hatband with a different color?

Edited by PGBQW

29 minutes ago, PGBQW said:

Can't they just dual mold the hat with gray hair, and then print the hatband with a different color?

They easily could, it's nothing that they haven't done before.

4 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

They easily could, it's nothing that they haven't done before.

Then why is everyone acting like we've just got a mold that will never be able to be used again 💀💀💀

What a great trailer! If we did end up getting four sets for the film as was initially speculated, they probably would’ve been along the lines of:

- Tuk-tuk Pursuit

- Voller’s Plane

- Greek Tomb Discovery (just imagine the play features!)

- Train Chase

Pretty much covers the major action scenes we’ve seen in the trailers. The Apollo 11 Parade is also a set contender, but wouldn’t be as interesting in my opinion. Ah well!

Edited by Kaijumeister

2 hours ago, PGBQW said:

Then why is everyone acting like we've just got a mold that will never be able to be used again 💀💀💀

Because everyone on this forum is overly dramatic for no reason whatsoever :jollyroger:

2 hours ago, PGBQW said:

Not impossible, but why not just create a piece that can work for both young and old Indy at the same time (and other characters too), rather than one that requires printing? :tongue: Having to print over the hat band kinda defeats the purpose of having it moulded in the first place :laugh_hard:

I don’t think I’m being dramatic here. Just questioning why they didn’t create a more versatile piece :grin:

21 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Because everyone on this forum is overly dramatic for no reason whatsoever :jollyroger:

*oh2* THEY ARE NOT! HOW DARE YOU!!

:laugh:

Not impossible, but why not just create a piece that can work for both young and old Indy at the same time (and other characters too), rather than one that requires printing?  :tongue:Having to print over the hat band kinda defeats the purpose of having it moulded in the first place :laugh_hard:

I don’t think I’m being dramatic here. Just questioning why they didn’t create a more versatile piece :grin:

I think they’ll use the existing part, and then his grey hair will be a sticker :tongue:

On 4/7/2023 at 2:44 AM, BrickBob Studpants said:

This also explains why they didn‘t use it for Grant or Hammond in the new Jurassic Park sets.

No, Grant and Hammond both have a hat band that's the same color as their hair, so being dual molded is not the reason it wasn't used in those sets.

Not impossible, but why not just create a piece that can work for both young and old Indy at the same time (and other characters too), rather than one that requires printing? :tongue: Having to print over the hat band kinda defeats the purpose of having it moulded in the first place :laugh_hard:

Maybe it was designed this way for a technical reason. I could imagine that there was perhaps a stability issue. Perhaps making the hair and band one piece with the rest of the hat molded around it made it less likely that the hair would potentially separate from the hat over time.

A hat hair combo with grey hair and dark brown band is three colors in one piece, and I don't think LEGO ever does triple-moulded pieces, so I don't see why they wouldn't just use the same piece with a printed band.

44 minutes ago, strangely said:

Maybe it was designed this way for a technical reason. I could imagine that there was perhaps a stability issue. 

42 minutes ago, EdWebhead said:

[…] I don't think LEGO ever does triple-moulded pieces […]

These are both fair points. 

43 minutes ago, EdWebhead said:

[…] so I don't see why they wouldn't just use the same piece with a printed band.

Not sure how well that would work though, precision-wise. Not having to worry about proper alignment anymore surely was one of the reasons dual-moulding was introduced to begin with :grin: 

49 minutes ago, EdWebhead said:

A hat hair combo with grey hair and dark brown band is three colors in one piece, and I don't think LEGO ever does triple-moulded pieces, so I don't see why they wouldn't just use the same piece with a printed band.

The CMF toucan would like a word about triple colour moulds 

Finally found the Temple of the Golden Idol set on Target.com and they've listed it @ $169.99 and it's out of stock already.  Just why are people spending over rrp for these sets?  They were just released.  I will impatiently await a restock at rrp or an unlikely sale price elsewhere.  I may suffer a little FOMO but not enough to pay over rrp for a new set anywhere.

Edited by karrit

I was able to pick up all three sets at my local LEGO store this morning. The Fighter Plane Chase was the last copy in store, but the other two were still in-stock. It's as excited as I've been to pick up a few sets in a while.

I have to say, I've been frustrated trying to discern where to direct my frustration over the cancellation of the ToD set. If I send feedback to LEGO, I get the sense it will fall on deaf ears. The sets that did release are magnificent, so sending a message with my wallet is nigh impossible. What to do? Take my toys in my corner and pout I suppose.

On the topic of ToD, Hasbro revealed another Adventure Series wave that amalgamates figures from Temple of Doom and Dial of Destiny. One of the figures is hypnotised Indy from ToD (including that horrific looking cup!), and the buildable relic for the wave is the skull altar to hold the stones. 

What we saw of the cancelled ToD set was beyond tame in comparison.

Edited by Kaijumeister

I really don’t think it was cancelled due to the content of the set/movie.

The rumor from one of the Reddit sources (iirc it was Reddit, I believe one of the people that leaked some of the fall SW sets) was that it was cancelled due to a part issue.

The biggest evidence towards that being the case and not an issue of controversy is that LEGO let the LAN members show the leaked image.  I repeat, they let them show a leaked image.  The same LAN that has had members removed for showing leaks of sets that are actually confirmed to be coming.  

If they did pull the set for content reasons, they had absolutely no incentive to let LAN members show an un-finalized image that 95% of the LEGO buying public had no idea even existed.  

2 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I really don’t think it was cancelled due to the content of the set/movie.

The rumor from one of the Reddit sources (iirc it was Reddit, I believe one of the people that leaked some of the fall SW sets) was that it was cancelled due to a part issue.

The biggest evidence towards that being the case and not an issue of controversy is that LEGO let the LAN members show the leaked image.  I repeat, they let them show a leaked image.  The same LAN that has had members removed for showing leaks of sets that are actually confirmed to be coming.  

If they did pull the set for content reasons, they had absolutely no incentive to let LAN members show an un-finalized image that 95% of the LEGO buying public had no idea even existed.  

the fact that they let them show the image is still something that makes me wonder if we will see the set someday. It's just such a weird choice. (And before @BrickBob Studpants sends a snarky comment ending in :tongue:, I'm not saying the temple is coming or that this is solid evidence towards that, just that it makes me wonder.)

Target finally fixed it's price, so my lost tomb is (Hopefully) on the way. (I don't see my secondary address on Target's little address box thing, even though I've saved it as part of the address like 4 times, so I'm a little concerned it's just going to get sent to my university mail center and then get lost.)

23 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

the fact that they let them show the image is still something that makes me wonder if we will see the set someday. It's just such a weird choice. (And before @BrickBob Studpants sends a snarky comment ending in :tongue:, I'm not saying the temple is coming or that this is solid evidence towards that, just that it makes me wonder.)

I agree, it's very unusual.  I don't know if there will be a second wave of these sets, but the rumors really seem to suggest that it was pulled due to a structural or manufacturing issue, not because of controversy.  If that is the case...there's no reason to think there isn't at least some hope of it coming, especially since the first three seem to be a hit so far.  Like, I'm not banking on it, but I feel like if it were a complete open and shut case of it not coming, we would've gotten a more concrete statement and the pictures never would've come out beyond just the leaks.

With regards to the Target thing, that also makes me believe that my theory of the prices being switched between the Lost Tomb and Temple of Doom is correct, because there's no reason that set should've been $80, considering LEGO didn't even increase their prices from the MSRPs that we got during the summer of 2022 with the original leaks.