Pulp Detective

Indiana Jones 2023 - Rumors & Discussion

8 hours ago, brimbolet said:

I know Promobricks is very reliable and they make perfect sketches of the finished sets for instance, but still I was wondering...

As I remember, they usually post € and not $ prices, and secondly 40, 50 or even 60€ for a ca. 600 pieces licensed set just sounds too good to be true. Perhaps someone (not at Promobricks !) is putting wrong info out on purpose, so it's not obvious where the leaked desriptions are coming from? Maybe it sounds too complicated and if so I'm more than happy that prices seem to return to a more reasonable level. 

Nah, prices like that have happened. They are rare, but they happen.

I assure you those prices either are, or once we're correct. They could be increased due to recent price increases, but not more than 5–10€.

For example the smallest Avatar set has 560 pieces, and it was supposed to cost 40€ (very similar to the 40€ 600 piece Tomb), but due to the price increases it's 45€ now.

Another thing to remember is that price isn't necessarily a full stop indicator of value of what's included. It's possible that lego was able to get a smaller licensing fee for Indiana Jones than that other lucasfilm property they have licensed, or that they aren't confident enough in this selling to have the prices as high as they do for some SW sets (seriously, looking at ninjago or even other licenses like Harry Potter, it boggles the mind how much MORE there is in the sets for the price).

On 7/18/2022 at 3:17 AM, The Real Indiana Jones said:

Haha, yeah, I think they will want to make the first four sets to be one from each of the first four movies.  Sure, KOTCS wasn't the best, but if they do a huge Mesoamerican/Andean style temple for $150, it will be definitely be an eye-popping set purely on it's own merits, regardless of the movie! 

We should also get the Ugha Warriors in a more accurate flesh-tone, and Russian soldiers wearing olive green now, instead of the sand green.  Plus it's a clever way to nudge/force everyone to go ahead and buy a KOTCS set, because there will only be a few other sets to fill your craving at that time...

After that, they will probably announce a huge D2C set of the Hovitos Fertility Temple in Peru from ROTLA for $200+

Then the sets for Part V will likely include flesh-toned Roman soldiers, with movie-detailed armor...  Plus more WWII villains!

I am on board!  =)

Roman soilders? :drool: yes please!

I like the Indiana Jones films but not enough to want to collect the sets, but I think I'll pick up the arc of the covenant set for the ancient Egypt stuff and to have the new indy. 

Roman themed would also be a huge selling point, I'm guessing that's the  new movie though cause I don't remember Romans in Indiana Jones. 

Otyet historical minifigs would be cool too like the Maharaja and the crusader ghost.

10 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Yes!  There were confirmed leaked photos from the set, showing several actors dressed as Roman soldiers, near a Roman war-ship.  And on the IMDB page, it shows one of the actors plays a character named "Pontimus".  I think that is Ancient Rome confirmed.  So we should get flesh-toned movie-detailed Roman soldiers, plus Pontimus, presumably an aristocrat who is an antagonist or redeemable villain, and probably a little bit of architecture, ideal for expanding into MOCs.  Apparently, some of the German villains survived, and by the 60's they completed the secret time-machine project code-named "Die Glocke"...  They try to go back 20 years to change the outcome of WWII, and then.....?????

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

4 hours ago, The Real Indiana Jones said:

So we should get flesh-toned movie-detailed Roman soldiers, plus Pontimus, presumably an aristocrat who is an antagonist or redeemable villain, and probably a little bit of architecture, ideal for expanding into MOCs.

I would love to see that but it is possible that LEGO will do a very primitive wave for the new film.

15 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

I like the Indiana Jones films but not enough to want to collect the sets, but I think I'll pick up the arc of the covenant set for the ancient Egypt stuff and to have the new indy. 

Roman themed would also be a huge selling point, I'm guessing that's the  new movie though cause I don't remember Romans in Indiana Jones. 

See that's what I thought at first, but when I heard about the specific contents of the sets I realized I was probably going to buy at least some of them despite my better judgement.

Apparently it is. My first thought was "No, they have to just mean Italian soldiers stationed in Rome, right?", but apparently yeah, it's straight up ancient romans. If they are in any of the new sets, that'll sell like hotcakes. The roman soldier CMF figure has to be one of the most expensive on the aftermarket, aside from Mr. Gold.

5 hours ago, The Real Indiana Jones said:

Apparently, some of the German villains survived, and by the 60's they completed the secret time-machine project code-named "Die Glocke"...  They try to go back 20 years to change the outcome of WWII, and then.....?????

Wait, that's actually awesome. My first thought was "Time travel, isn't that far fetched for Indiana Jones?"...but no, not really when compared to the aliens. And it's cool that they're basing it off an actual theory. (Which honestly isn't a far-fetched one to me if it's just saying they tried. There's some really wacky stuff the nazis were working on towards the end of the war.). Nice way to continue the tradition of the odd-numbered films being him versus the Nazis, too (and hopefully the tradition of the odd-numbered films being the best ones, as well)

Edited by Mandalorianknight

I wonder if Pontimus is actually Pontius Pilate, as in the historical / Biblical Roman governor of Judaea during the (supposed) time of Jesus Christ?

If my theory is correct we may end up with something like "Indiana Jones and The Greatest Story Ever Told"... but with time travel and Nazis.

Edited by Murdoch17

18 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

I would love to see that but it is possible that LEGO will do a very primitive wave for the new film.

Apparently, at least 1/4 or 1/3 of the film takes place in Ancient Rome, so I'd figure just *one* of those four planned sets for Part V will be in Ancient Rome.  Seriously, it would be crazy if Lego *DIDN'T* take the opportunity to do that, especially since they don't need any new molds at all, just some new reusable prints with generic stubbly faces.  Hopefully, Mark Killeen as Pontimus might re-use CMF Caesar's hair, but in dark brown or light gray this time.  And I am guessing that Antonio Banderas also plays a Roman aristocrat, and I am sure that Olivier Richters will get a minifig.  He may be from a different era, if they make several time-jumps...  So even if they just make the smallest set be the Rome one, maybe that's perfect, because it will be nice and cheap to buy multiples as a battle pack!

18 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

See that's what I thought at first, but when I heard about the specific contents of the sets I realized I was probably going to buy at least some of them despite my better judgement.

Apparently it is. My first thought was "No, they have to just mean Italian soldiers stationed in Rome, right?", but apparently yeah, it's straight up ancient romans. If they are in any of the new sets, that'll sell like hotcakes. The roman soldier CMF figure has to be one of the most expensive on the aftermarket, aside from Mr. Gold.

Wait, that's actually awesome. My first thought was "Time travel, isn't that far fetched for Indiana Jones?"...but no, not really when compared to the aliens. And it's cool that they're basing it off an actual theory. (Which honestly isn't a far-fetched one to me if it's just saying they tried. There's some really wacky stuff the nazis were working on towards the end of the war.). Nice way to continue the tradition of the odd-numbered films being him versus the Nazis, too (and hopefully the tradition of the odd-numbered films being the best ones, as well)

Yeah, some of the LucasArts video games from the early 2000s had Indy traveling though inter-dimensional space and time...  Essentially, the exact same laws of Physics and History that we saw in Ghostbusters Part One or Thor Part One.  Portals and Gods.  Classic.  Those games were cool, it's just the fourth Indy movie that muddied the concept up a bit, with too much alien stuff.  Alien invasions became popular after the movie Independence Day in 1996, and became the standard after The Avengers in 2012.

And yes, the CMF Roman, new with accessories, sells for minimum $24...  If they just make the cheapest smallest set include a few of them, it will be an easy hit!

- Then the CMF Spartan (Series 2) is $19

- Polynesian Island Warrior (Series 11) is $18

- The more realistic-looking Viking (Series 20) is $16

- Aztec Eagle Warrior (Series 7) is also $16

- CMF Pharaoh (Series 2) is $10, but the Pharaoh Amset-Ra, which is more realistic looking, goes for $30, same as the Anubis-Guards.

17 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

I wonder if Pontimus is actually Pontius Pilate, as in the historical / Biblical Roman governor of Judaea during the (supposed) time of Jesus Christ?

If my theory is correct we may end up with something like "Indiana Jones and The Greatest Story Ever Told"... but with time travel and Nazis.

I think for this movie, they didn't want him chasing after any specific McGuffin or any specific historical person, they just wanted it to be a race to stop the villains from changing the outcome of WWII, and not create too many catastrophic time-paradoxes along the way!

So, "Hmm, I have a *GOOD* feeling about this!"  - Young Han Solo in "Solo", ever the optimist, so famous last words!  =)

58 minutes ago, The Real Indiana Jones said:

Apparently, at least 1/4 or 1/3 of the film takes place in Ancient Rome, so I'd figure just *one* of those four planned sets for Part V will be in Ancient Rome.  Seriously, it would be crazy if Lego *DIDN'T* take the opportunity to do that, especially since they don't need any new molds at all, just some new reusable prints with generic stubbly faces.  Hopefully, Mark Killeen as Pontimus might re-use CMF Caesar's hair, but in dark brown or light gray this time.  And I am guessing that Antonio Banderas also plays a Roman aristocrat, and I am sure that Olivier Richters will get a minifig.  He may be from a different era, if they make several time-jumps...  So even if they just make the smallest set be the Rome one, maybe that's perfect, because it will be nice and cheap to buy multiples as a battle pack!

Where did ye get that information? I saw photos from the set but nothing much story-wise. Also, telling from the filming set photos, Antonio Banderas will play a ship's captain in present day (1969 that is). I expect LEGO to make a set based on final battle location in film, possibly that Roman set and something else. Those are my guesses. :pir-thumb:

On 7/18/2022 at 2:53 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Another thing to remember is that price isn't necessarily a full stop indicator of value of what's included. It's possible that lego was able to get a smaller licensing fee for Indiana Jones than that other lucasfilm property they have licensed, or that they aren't confident enough in this selling to have the prices as high as they do for some SW sets (seriously, looking at ninjago or even other licenses like Harry Potter, it boggles the mind how much MORE there is in the sets for the price).

So how do you explain City? No license and still hugely overpriced.

The IJ prices are wrong. There is no nice way to put it besides that. I'd guess that the prices listed were from when the sets were supposed to come out in April or May before LEGO's price gauging. 

Not trying to mini-mod, but can we please keep the number of leaked film information to a minimum? Not everyone keeps up with those leaks, y’know :tongue: I advise you to use spoiler tags, either through the eye icon or via {spoiler}{/spoiler} with square brackets for mobile :wink:

31 minutes ago, Jack Sassy said:

Where did ye get that information? I saw photos from the set but nothing much story-wise. Also, telling from the filming set photos, Antonio Banderas will play a ship's captain in present day (1969 that is). I expect LEGO to make a set based on final battle location in film, possibly that Roman set and something else. Those are my guesses. :pir-thumb:

All the actors are under a strict Non-Disclosure Agreement, so I think a lot of the rumors come from people who work as craftsmen and caterers on the movie sets.  Some of the Roman-Era movie sets are permanently built around CineCitta, and re-used for various movies, but they have also built a lot of major set pieces for ancient cities, so it's obviously not just a gigantic fake-out.  On the other hand, movies nowadays will often purposefully release a lot of deceiving decoy photos to distract away from spoilers, or to thwart the paparazzi.  So it is possible that they just want to fake us all out into *thinking* that Antonio is just a simple ship's captain, which would just be a surprisingly small role that would really under-use his star power, when they are really just tricking us, and hiding the fact that he will be a main Ancient Roman antagonist, central to the plot.

Also, in the leaked set photos, some of those warriors are distinctly Classical Greek Hoplites, and some of the others look like they are either Homeric Era warriors, or perhaps from Ancient Mesopotamia.  That's why people are assuming that there are multiple time-jumps.  And that is why I am guessing that Olivier Richters plays a warrior from a slightly different era.  I am getting a real Gilgamesh or Enkidu vibe from him.  I don't think he is playing a 7-foot-plus-tall Centurion, and I do not think they are having any Vikings in it.  I think they are sticking squarely to the Eastern Mediterranean World, so it is not too far-flung or far-fetched.  I think he plays a god, or a semi-divine god-king figure like Gilgamesh.

2 minutes ago, The Real Indiana Jones said:

All the actors are under a strict Non-Disclosure Agreement, so I think a lot of the rumors come from people who work as craftsmen and caterers on the movie sets.  Some of the Roman-Era movie sets are permanently built around CineCitta, and re-used for various movies, but they have also built a lot of major set pieces for ancient cities, so it's obviously not just a gigantic fake-out.  On the other hand, movies nowadays will often purposefully release a lot of deceiving decoy photos to distract away from spoilers, or to thwart the paparazzi.  So it is possible that they just want to fake us all out into *thinking* that Antonio is just a simple ship's captain, which would just be a surprisingly small role that would really under-use his star power, when they are really just tricking us, and hiding the fact that he will be a main Ancient Roman antagonist, central to the plot.

That is a good point, perhaps it will play out that way.

2 minutes ago, The Real Indiana Jones said:

Also, in the leaked set photos, some of those warriors are distinctly Classical Greek Hoplites, and some of the others look like they are either Homeric Era warriors, or perhaps from Ancient Mesopotamia.  That's why people are assuming that there are multiple time-jumps.  And that is why I am guessing that Olivier Richters plays a warrior from a slightly different era.  I am getting a real Gilgamesh or Enkidu vibe from him.  I don't think he is playing a 7-foot-plus-tall Centurion, and I do not think they are having any Vikings in it.  I think they are sticking squarely to the Eastern Mediterranean World, so it is not too far-flung or far-fetched.  I think he plays a god, or a semi-divine god-king figure like Gilgamesh.

A good theory indeed, if the film turns out to be set mostly in Ancient Greece/Rome, it is possible for LEGO to release more than one set based on it.

1 hour ago, Maple said:

So how do you explain City? No license and still hugely overpriced.

The IJ prices are wrong. There is no nice way to put it besides that. I'd guess that the prices listed were from when the sets were supposed to come out in April or May before LEGO's price gauging. 

Wait, hold on. Your argument is "one theme is overpriced despite the lack of a licensing fee, so therefore the indiana jones sets with prices reported by a reliable source are wrong"? That doesn't make a lot of sense. I think the prices are right because A: It's not all that unusual for some licensed themes to have good prices (like I said, harry potter, and I think someone said avatar's prices were pretty good too though I haven't seen those sets), and B: they were reported on by a reliable source. Now, Promobricks does say the prices could increase since lego has increased the prices of some upcoming sets, so it is possible that some of the indiana jones sets fall victim, but I don't think you can logically get to "No, clearly the prices are wrong."

2 hours ago, The Real Indiana Jones said:

And yes, the CMF Roman, new with accessories, sells for minimum $24...  If they just make the cheapest smallest set include a few of them, it will be an easy hit!

- Then the CMF Spartan (Series 2) is $19

- Polynesian Island Warrior (Series 11) is $18

- The more realistic-looking Viking (Series 20) is $16

- Aztec Eagle Warrior (Series 7) is also $16

- CMF Pharaoh (Series 2) is $10, but the Pharaoh Amset-Ra, which is more realistic looking, goes for $30, same as the Anubis-Guards.

Yup. And you can bet lego knows this. If Lucasfilm provided them with any concept art of the ancient romans, they'll be in the sets.

On 7/17/2022 at 7:46 AM, Agent Kallus said:

Her bigotry was a real disappointment to discover. But I don't think Indian Jones fulfills the same niche as Harry potter, it's a very different franchise.

I was more thinking in terms of shelf-space. LEGO is releasing more and more massive "18+"(:ugh:) sets every year, it's starting to feel like themes have to fight for space now.

Half the LEGO store is just black boxes now. Getting real dark in there :/

Also, can we please avoid spoiler talk here? Could we maybe open a separate discussion on Indy 5 sets?

Edited by Alegrispa

37 minutes ago, Alegrispa said:

I was more thinking in terms of shelf-space. LEGO is releasing more and more massive "18+"(:ugh:) sets every year, it's starting to feel like themes have to fight for space now.

Half the LEGO store is just black boxes now. Getting real dark in there :/

What? The number of 18+ sets compared to all the others would be like 3%, at best. 

It's an incredibly small fraction of sets.

And to add to that, many 18+ sets tend to be Lego store/S@H exclusives, or at least not commonly picked up by your local Targets and Walmarts (Or Symths or Tesco).

19 hours ago, Alegrispa said:

...Also, can we please avoid spoiler talk here...?

OK, no worries...  That's all the info I have, and I have a lot of work to get to here!  Everything I said will likely be revealed (or debunked) in the first full 2-minute trailer, so it's not really a spoiler!

Hmm, also consider this...  By the time the movie comes out, you will have already seen the Lego sets for Part V officially revealed, and the Lego sets always provide way more spoilers than anything else out there...!  =)

Indy Out.

On 7/15/2022 at 11:34 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

77012 Fighter Plane Chase ($34.99):  387pcs with a P-2 (stud shooters on wings) and convertible. Comes with Indy (new hat/hair combo), Henry Jones Sr, and an enemy pilot

77013 Escape from the Lost tomb ($39.99): 600pcs with Indy, Marion, and a Mummy. Tomb build with a "detailed back wall". Comes with Anubis Statues and the Ark of the Covenant.

Which one is the P-2 plane? The WWI biplane, or the WWII, so this means we might get only one plane and a car?

Where is Sallah from the Lost tomb set?

Edited by Anak

On 5/26/2021 at 1:35 PM, BrickBob Studpants said:

I loved the Adventurers theme back in the day, but it hasn‘t aged all that well, like a lot of sets from that era. And calling it ‚original‘ is pretty funny considering what inspired it :laugh:

I thinks unfair to judge those sets by modern standards; for their time, the adventures series was great (The Dino Island subtheme always seemed especially good to me, at least in the concept they were reaching for).

So here's something interesting to think about.Apparently back in '08 the very first indy wave dropped in January and it was consisted of four sets,all of them were based on the original trilogy.Then in May another wave with four sets dropped and it was focused on the 4th movie.

Next year we are getting the same amount of sets,with three (possibly four) being based on the older movies and four on the upcoming movie.I think it's safe to assume that the release schedule for next year will be similar to the one from '08.

Edited by LOTR34