MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

On the subject of Hunter (not the helmet, don't worry :laugh:), I've got some Exo-Force magnets in my room and was looking at them the other day.  Interestingly, Ryo (the orange suit guy) has a red headband printed on his face and a face print that...wouldn't be that outlandish to use for Hunter.  Stylistically it's a little bit different, as the face itself is a little bit wider and the eyes are more detailed than most other figures, but it wouldn't actually be that awful.  I know some people were lamenting the lack of a headband, so it IS an alternative, even if it isn't perfect.

10 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

I know some people were lamenting the lack of a headband, so it IS an alternative, even if it isn't perfect.

Wait, what lack of headband? The Hunter minifigure we're getting has a printed headband on his head, just like Ryo. It's just that it obviously goes underneath his hair I stead of all the way around it.

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

On the subject of Hunter (not the helmet, don't worry :laugh:), I've got some Exo-Force magnets in my room and was looking at them the other day.  Interestingly, Ryo (the orange suit guy) has a red headband printed on his face and a face print that...wouldn't be that outlandish to use for Hunter.  Stylistically it's a little bit different, as the face itself is a little bit wider and the eyes are more detailed than most other figures, but it wouldn't actually be that awful.  I know some people were lamenting the lack of a headband, so it IS an alternative, even if it isn't perfect.

Isn't ryo's head yellow though? (And hunter's already got a headband I think.)

8 hours ago, Brickroll said:

I’ve been thinking lately, or wondering, really—what if Hunter had used the stormtrooper helmet and then had the strip on his head printed on? Would that work? Not the new one, but the R1 one or something.

btw, we can still talk about this subject, right?

Talk about, yes. Fight with each other over, no.

9 hours ago, Brickroll said:

I’ve been thinking lately, or wondering, really—what if Hunter had used the stormtrooper helmet and then had the strip on his head printed on? Would that work? Not the new one, but the R1 one or something.

I don't see it, I think the fin being fixed is offset by the rest of the helmet's change in design (widening, mouth, etc)

9 hours ago, LDigital said:

I can’t wait to see what mods the community comes up with on the bad batch shuttle

Don't worry man, this is going to be more modded than the razor crest. Actually, it's somewhat similar to the RC: Main hero transport of a hit new show that comes with most of the heroes (with one short hero absent), a single villain, and has an interior that can fit all the heroes but is practically begging for mods. In addition, the color is a major initial complaint among the community, gradually shifting to figure choice and design, including the helmet of the main hero. 

Oh my, I've just noticed that Fennec has arm printing.

New helmet mould, leg prtining and arm printing? I'm in love with this minfig :wub:

11 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Wait, what lack of headband? The Hunter minifigure we're getting has a printed headband on his head, just like Ryo. It's just that it obviously goes underneath his hair I stead of all the way around it.

Oh man, never mind then!  I couldn’t see it on the picture and I saw someone talking about it.  My bad!

9 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Isn't ryo's head yellow though? (And hunter's already got a headband I think.)

You would think I would’ve realized that before giving this idea, but nope! :laugh:

Ignore that suggestion, then, I’m wrong on two counts there. :tongue:

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Oh my, I've just noticed that Fennec has arm printing.

New helmet mould, leg prtining and arm printing? I'm in love with this minfig :wub:

Fennic is the low-key best minifig in the wave.  I know people are hype for the new Boba torso and finally getting a Bo Katan, but Fennic is a complete package (new minifig, arm printing, new helmet mold).

8 hours ago, azanderk said:

Fennic is the low-key best minifig in the wave.  I know people are hype for the new Boba torso and finally getting a Bo Katan, but Fennic is a complete package (new minifig, arm printing, new helmet mold).

We don’t know about her hairpiece tho. 

Fennec is indeed a great fig, personally I'm gonna pass on the cruiser and roll the dice on her appearing in more (and hopefully smaller) sets further down the track. With her appearances in Bad Batch and Book of Boba this should be a fairly safe bet.

well cad bane is only going up in price, I’m glad I grabbed mine when I did. He’ll probably show up in a set sooner rather then later; if Lego isn’t stupid they’ll remake his speeder for 22 summer wave if nothing else. I’d be willing to bet the figure is somehow a downgrade; the Armorer not having her fur makes me think his breathing apparatus would be printed on at best. 

Edited by hondohnaka

8 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

Reveal hidden contents

well cad bane is only going up in price, I’m glad I grabbed mine when I did. He’ll probably show up in a set sooner rather then later; if Lego isn’t stupid they’ll remake his speeder for 22 summer wave if nothing else. I’d be willing to bet the figure is somehow a downgrade; the Armorer not having her fur makes me think his breathing apparatus would be printed on at best. 

Perhaps this is just me being pessimistic but I can't see him showing up unless he becomes the big bad of the show, which I also don't see happening. With all the live action shows coming out soon I would sort of expect the Bad Batch to go on the back burner since it's animated and doesn't have the same legacy that TCW does, at least not yet, which in my mind makes it less appealing to TLG beyond the heroes of the show.

2 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Perhaps this is just me being pessimistic but I can't see him showing up unless he becomes the big bad of the show, which I also don't see happening. With all the live action shows coming out soon I would sort of expect the Bad Batch to go on the back burner since it's animated and doesn't have the same legacy that TCW does, at least not yet, which in my mind makes it less appealing to TLG beyond the heroes of the show.

I think it'll be the opposite, actually. Bad Batch is a multi-season show (so it's already got more reason to have sets than TCW s7, which Lego knew to be the last season), and while it's not a "kids show" so to speak, the target audience is children. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Andor is definately not meant for children, and I doubt Kenobi and BoBF are either. Most likely I see this happening: BobF gets a couple of sets over two waves, Andor and Kenobi each get 1-2 sets over one wave, bad batch gets like half a wave for season 2 and consistent sets over the course of the show.

12 hours ago, MaximillianRebo said:

Fennec is indeed a great fig, personally I'm gonna pass on the cruiser and roll the dice on her appearing in more (and hopefully smaller) sets further down the track. With her appearances in Bad Batch and Book of Boba this should be a fairly safe bet.

Same here, no way she doesn't appear again.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I think it'll be the opposite, actually. Bad Batch is a multi-season show (so it's already got more reason to have sets than TCW s7, which Lego knew to be the last season), and while it's not a "kids show" so to speak, the target audience is children. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Andor is definately not meant for children, and I doubt Kenobi and BoBF are either. Most likely I see this happening: BobF gets a couple of sets over two waves, Andor and Kenobi each get 1-2 sets over one wave, bad batch gets like half a wave for season 2 and consistent sets over the course of the show.

It's Star Wars, it's all meant for children.

Lego seems to favour live action over animated and there's a whole bunch of live action coming out, so I expect Bad Batch to get the abysmal Rebels treatment.

59 minutes ago, ood0 said:

It's Star Wars, it's all meant for children.

Lego seems to favour live action over animated and there's a whole bunch of live action coming out, so I expect Bad Batch to get the abysmal Rebels treatment.

1. Most of it's meant to be family friendly, but rogue one and a variety of the books and comics are definately not meant with kids as the target audience. Andor especially seems to be geared for adults from what little we know, mainly that it's about the "terrrible things" Andor says he's done for the rebellion in rogue one. At this point saying star wars is for kids is like saying the MCU is for kids. Sure, stuff like avengers is meant to appeal to kids and adults, but stuff like winter soldier or TFATWS is definately geared towards adults.

Let's look at the whole live action v animation thing, too. First real animated property when lego was making sets (sure there was the 03 microseries but let's be honest that wasn't really at the same scale as anything else) was TCW. Season 1 got a massive amount of sets, and the show continued to get a solid 5-6 sets per season until the show was cancelled. Then with rebels they brought out the main hero ship long before the show released, and released a large wave of sets around the end of season one. Due to a variety of issues (the wookie gunship and ezra's speeder each had only a couple shots in the show, the show wasn't popular during the first couple seasons, etc), the sets sold poorly. Lego got cold feet and produced less sets for subsequent seasons, including only one small set for season 3 and nothing for season 4, ironically just as the show became more and more popular. During this time, clone wars got one smallish set every year or two. They only made two sets for resistance, including the main villian ship and a random minor hero ship, which sold poorly, and the show itself was cancelled quickly due to poor viewership levels. This cold feet regarding shows led to them producing only a couple of sets for TCW s7, which both sold very, very well. Clearly, they recognized their mistake, as they then brought out more TCW s7 sets the next year. I think at this point they've learned their lesson and there'll be more bad batch sets, especially since the show itself has a lot of viewers compared to rebels, resistance, and even much of clone wars.

TLDR lego learned from their mistakes with rebels and now puts out 1-2 sets for animated shows as they release, and at least with clone wars making more sets later if the show does well. Bad batch is doing very well, so most likely it'll get more sets.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Bad Batch is a multi-season show

I think it hasn't been confirmed yet, or has it? At least there was no official confirmation regarding season 2. 
Btw Andor on the other hand could have more than one season, according to Alan Tudyk who might play K2SO in the future. I have a feeling that the series is action-packed and may give us some incredible starships and vehicles with playable features — children will be happy! 
I wonder if we will get any sets based on Visions. Could be pretty much kid-friendly (but we know nothing at this point).

46 minutes ago, MaceWindu said:

I think it hasn't been confirmed yet, or has it? At least there was no official confirmation regarding season 2. 
Btw Andor on the other hand could have more than one season, according to Alan Tudyk who might play K2SO in the future. I have a feeling that the series is action-packed and may give us some incredible starships and vehicles with playable features — children will be happy! 
I wonder if we will get any sets based on Visions. Could be pretty much kid-friendly (but we know nothing at this point).

Both bad batch and andor have at least two seasons. And I'm not saying kids can't watch, it, I'm saying based on the premise it's most likely got less appeal to kids than bad batch.

I don't think we'll get visions sets. It's an anthology series, seems very experimental, and is supposed to come out within a couple months.

I've been looking at the bad batch images to plan out mods, and there's definately enough room for at least a third figure in the main hold of the shuttle.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

48 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I don't think we'll get visions sets. It's an anthology series, seems very experimental, and is supposed to come out within a couple months.

I'd have said the same but the only 2 Disney + Marvel sets are based on "What If?" so that gives me hope for Visions 

Edited by GlacierPhoenix

49 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Both bad batch and andor have at least two seasons. And I'm not saying kids can't watch, it, I'm saying based on the premise it's most likely got less appeal to kids than bad batch.

Yes, it makes sense. Experimental anthology anime star wars is not lego material per se. 
To your point, if they've changed their mind with TCW s7 why they are so cautious with the bad batch (one set this wave) when the hype seems at its peak?

Off topic, but this point if they haven’t dropped pictures of the Mandalorian sets by Friday I’d be pleasantly surprised if the LegoCon reveal isn’t those. 

It's more surprising to me that LEGO has put up images and info for the Clone Wars sets. It's not like they did a "reveal" for those, no big press release or splash about it - just put them up on the website basically. How often do they list sets over a month in advance unless they're something special for pre-order?

They might just pop the Mando sets onto the website quietly too, closer to August.

2 hours ago, GlacierPhoenix said:

I'd have said the same but the only 2 Disney + Marvel sets are based on "What If?" so that gives me hope for Visions 

Disney+ did get a CMF with the main characters of the other 3 shows too, but you're right that they are giving what if some sets. I think it depends on whether or not visions is about recognizable or new characters, as kids recognize red skull, tony stark, the hulkbuster, steve rogers, what amounts to a green hulkbuster, etc (I guess valkeryie although she isn't super well-known), so those sets aren't huge risks. (also the three other disney+ series so far haven't been bursting with set opportunities).

2 hours ago, MaceWindu said:

To your point, if they've changed their mind with TCW s7 why they are so cautious with the bad batch (one set this wave) when the hype seems at its peak?

First i'd say it's one rather large set, but they also have a limited number of total sets per wave. Since they wanted to do more CW sets and apparently more Mando sets, they had to balance it. I'd guess that they chose the clone wars and mando sets over more bad batch sets because

a: they're still cautious. I should have been more clear, I don't expect a wave filled with sets for an upcoming show before it releases. My guess is their plan is to do a couple sets before or during the show's run, then more sets a wave or two later planned.

b: clone wars and mando finished their series/seasons already, so if they were going to do more sets, they'd get the most money the soonest after they finished. Bad Batch season 1 won't even be done by the time this wave releases, so it still has a huge amount of "stock" left for, say, the January wave.

3 hours ago, MaceWindu said:

If TLG is being cautious, it's only because of the 12+ months of lead time that new sets are reported to take prior to release. The BB is so hot right now, but back when the Havoc Marauder set was in its planning stages, many months before the show premiered, no one could know how successful the show might be. They could probably guess that it would do well, but if they guessed wrong that would result in a lot of shelf warmers. Compare how the Mandalorian sets were released, just the AT-ST at first, then the RC and now the upcoming wave, and that gives an idea of how we might see BB sets in coming waves.

14 hours ago, hondohnaka said:

Off topic, but this point if they haven’t dropped pictures of the Mandalorian sets by Friday I’d be pleasantly surprised if the LegoCon reveal isn’t those. 

So what do we think is going to be revealed?

There was some water thrown on the gunship reveal, so given we haven't an official Mando announcement, that seems possible. 

Anything else? 

The gunship makes sense, so I really hope it is that. 

2 hours ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

So what do we think is going to be revealed?

There was some water thrown on the gunship reveal, so given we haven't an official Mando announcement, that seems possible. 

Anything else? 

The gunship makes sense, so I really hope it is that. 

Realistically either one of the Mando sets or the mystery 75369. No-one has said it won't be the UCS AT-AT, but I doubt we would see that before the gunship based on the release schedule we have (and because UCS sets don't tend to get a reveal beyond a few weeks AFAIK). Personally my money is on the cruiser - wasn't last year's AT-AT revealed early, or am I making that up?

Brickset have a review up of the Gauntlet starfighter as well, with some more pictures. It seems like another mod-heavy set - gaps around the cockpit, a few inaccuracies compared to the screen, and - inexplicably - no landing gear. Where has this sudden vendetta against retractable landing gear come from?!

Edited by TeddytheSpoon